One Rustic Road Urban Retreat

1 Rustic Road, Higgovale, Cape Town, Western Cape, 8001, South Africa

More about Cape Town

Baboons are so quick!Baboons are so quick!

Simonstown-Cape Town train along the seasideSimonstown-Cape Town train along the seaside

St. George's MallSt. George's Mall

Some of the spiritSome of the spirit

Nov - Dec Cape Town

by xsweety

Hi , me and hubby are planning a trip to South africa in Nov. Any advise/ tips on following would be highly appreciated:

1. Alternative besides air to travel form Jo'burg to CaptTown
2. Local Transport in Cape Town - buses/ metros/ cabs (cost/ safety/ crowded??)
3. What kind of acco would i get it $50 USD per night? Central location possible?
4. How far is Garden route - do I get there by coach. 1 night or 2 nights?
5. Any other place aound cape town to visit?

Re: Nov - Dec Cape Town

by nichole_521

2. I would suggest renting a car depending on how long you will be staying. It is not 'easy' getting around Cape Town without one. When I was there in 2005 people suggested not to use the trains and to be cautious of the buses...this may have changed since then.

I did utilize cabs, minibuses (still not sure how they work, but I always got to where I needed)and rickey's (like a multiple person taxi, cheaper, you sit in the back of a three wheel pick up!) when we did not have a car.

5. The winelands and Cape Point are great places to visit and must do's on my list. :) Also the beaches in Camps Bay and Clifton are great. I also loved Hout Bay. Okay I guess I loved everything.

Enjoy. Nichole

Re: Nov - Dec Cape Town

by Doempie

1. The best way to travel from Johannesburg to Cape Town is by plane (Onetime, Mango and Kalula are fairly cheap airlines) and it takes about 2 hours. The other option is to drive overnight on a Sleepliner bus, this will cost you about R420 (you can check on http://www.mainliner.co.za/) and take roughly 20 hours (therefore I will not recommend taking a day bus). I would definitely go for the plane option since a return ticket costs about R1000 ($120) and you save lots of time.
2. As Nichole said, Cape Town (actually the whole of SA) does not have the best public transport, renting a car (try www.avis.co.za or www.kulula.com/cars) or taking guided tours which include transport are the best options.
3. A backpackers in Long Street (very central!!!) will set you back about $15.
4. Garden Route is (very) roughly 500 km away, you can fly to George and find your way from there, but since this is a very small airport, it's very expensive. The best option (if you did not rent a car) is to go by bus, takes about 7 hours, depending on where in the Garden Route you want to be.
5. Climb Table Mountain (or take a cable car). Go see the winelands, spesifically Stellenbosch (second oldest town in SA) or Franschoek. (Central Stellenbosch consists mostly of the University and old buildings and is slightly busier but also less expensive than Franschoek.)

Enjoy SA!

Travel Tips for Cape Town

spend some time shopping,...

by Krystynn

spend some time shopping, strolling, dining here at the quaint Victoria and Alfred Waterfront (my favorite haunt here).

There is a dazzling choice of restaurants. My favorites are:

Morton's of Chicago for good old American food
Sea Palace for Chinese cuisine).
Hard Rock Cafe

There are also shops of every description... from the department stores of Eggar's and Woolworth's to the posh boutiques of Guess, Kookai, Morgan etc. Multi-screen cinemas and bars are also found here. The South African Rand is considered weak if you're comparing it with the world's major currencies... so let's just say that you can buy most things here at a steal. Some of the South African souvenirs are really worth buying.

Whale watch day trip

by lynnehamman

Driving to Hermanus, which is 122kms from Cape Town, on the coast- is a wonderful days outing. As well as passing charming old fishing villages (now very 'in vogue') you will pass a few nature reserves, which include many bird species and hippo. Stop anywhere along the way at one of the gorgeous beaches, and you may see whales, which frolic between June and November.

There is a fishermans market every Sunday, and fruit stalls along the way.

Seafood restuarants are amongst the best in the Cape.

The Talent Exchange

by talentexchange about Flea Markets

The Talent Exchange is unique in Cape Town in that it is a market where no Rands change hands! Everything is bought and sold using the local currency of the Cape Town Community Exchange System (CES). You need to have an account on the system before you can participate but you can join at the markets and find out how the system works. You can buy most things that you would buy at any other market: goods, food, clothing, books, crafts, etc. Often you can get a treatment from one of our many practitioners and enjoy fine music. Best of all come and enjoy the joyful spirit of trading without using conventional money, and make friends at the same time! No Rands accepted! Buy goods and services with Talents, the local currency of the Cape Town Community Exchange System. One Talent is more or less equal to one Rand.

Various ways to get to South Africa

by jlanza29

There is several different ways to get to Cape Town, I guess we took the "fast way"... We jumped on South African Airways from NYC/ JFK airport.....it's a very, very long flight....it's 8 hours to Dakar, Senegal where it stops for about 1 1/2 hour as some passengers get on and off and the crew changes...and then another 8 hours to Johanesburg....and then we switched terminal and got on a domestic flight to Cape Town which was only 2 hours......
I must say the service was very good on these flights...the entertainment system on the seat in front of you has some 15 different movies to choose from. Also it has some 15 different games, and various other tv shows and music selections.
The other way of getting there is via Europe....such as London, Frankfurt, or Paris....but it's still 11 hours....or you could go thru South America....Buenos Aires, and San Paulo have flights to South Africa....they're about 9 to 10 hours also....so to make a long story short there isn't a short cut in getting to South Africa....just bring yourself a good book, a neck pillow, your IPOD or computer with an extra battery, and most importanly YOUR PATIENCE !!!!!!

The City Grill is better!

by johnaalex about Balthazar’s

Supposedly the best steak house, but I do not agree with that. One my first visit the bone-in rib steak was OK, but there was a reluctance to cut to order, despite their menu stating that they would do so. I clarified the point about cutting to order with the server and on her assurances put this on the list of places to return to. On our last night in Cape Town we reserved a table three days in advance and were duly looking forward to a great piece of meat with a lovely bottle of red wine. When I placed my order for a 550 gram piece of sirloin I was told the largest they do was 500. The server confirmed that with the kitchen. However, when I spoke to the manager I was told that they would cut me a piece in line with what I wanted and their policy to cut to order. When the meat was served I was told it was 500 so again I raised this with the manager and she assured me that it was 550 as she had watched the cook cut it. It was a pity that a large chunk of it was almost impossible to cut let alone eat. I returned the inedible piece and it was agreed that I should not pay for it, but even so our last evening in Cape Town had been spoilt. Judging by the fact three people felt 500 gram was the largest it does not seem to me that this not a mistake on their parts but a policy to deter people asking for large steaks cut to order. Also, if the manager who had witnessed (according to her) the cutting of the piece served to me knew even the basics of how to judge raw meat then I would not have been served the piece I was. The one place where this place does excel is in the wide range of wines available by the glass. They have a system that keeps open bottles fresh by replacing the wine poured with nitrogen. However, I go to a steakhouse for steak and I will not go back to this one, especially as the City Grill is almost next door.

Comments