Protea Hotel Cape Castle Cape Town

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Protea Cape Castle

I did not see any security when the taxi dropped me off at the hotel. The driver waited with me after ringing the bell. We waited 15 minutes. Throughout the course of my stay they were unattentive. You would have to look for them in the garage and if they were in grossed in conversation over something forget it.

On three days the front desk missed my wakeup call and on one day I ran extremely late for the tour that was picking me up.

I was first put into a studio and when I asked for a better room I realized that this place needed some serious overhauling. When you sat in the chair or in the couch it felt like you were going down in quicksand. On my second night at the hotel the airconditioner leaked and messed up the rug. It smelled the entire time I was there I had to burn candles and leave the windows open. The weather cooperated most of the time but not always and this was not easy. I had to sleep on the sinking living room couch in order to be comfortable. The layout of the one bedroom was off. You could not open the door of the bathroom all the way because it hit the bed. On the fourth night the phone stopped working I had to get this replaced.

Believe me I tried to get another hotel but had no luck. Most rooms in my budget near the waterfront were booked and the others charged a lot. I would not recommend this hotel for single women at all. It does not appear to be handicapp accessible either because the front gate you have to go up a series of steps and when you use the back gate you have to wait an extremely long time before someone comes to open that one as well.

Unique Quality: Do not rely on maps for the location of the hotel. It is in greenpoint and it is a good walk from the hotel to the waterfront. There is a 10 lane street that you have to cross before crossing another 5 lane street that you have to cross over. Next you have to walk down a long block in order to actually be in the waterfront. At first this is nerve wrecking but after a few days you get used to the walk.

The hotel sits on top of its parking lot. There is a side gated entrance that only seurity can let you in or out of. There is an infinity type pool on the main floor right next to the restaurant. The restaurant served a great buffet that had an omelet station. You will only get great views if you stay on floors three and above. The housekeeping staff did a decent job in cleaning up the rooms. Some of the front desk staff were actually ok but just could not remember to give wakeup calls.

Directions: Greenpoint