Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Cape Town

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

New Church & Victoria St, (formerly Extreme Hotel), Tamboerskloof, Western Cape, 08000, South Africa
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Protea Hotel Fire & Ice Cape Town

The Best Hotel In Cape Town

by TripAdvisor Member steinfam

Protea Fire & Ice is definately the best and friendliest Hotel I have ever stayed at.
From the Security Guy to General Manager everyone has a smile on their face and they are very attentive to your every need.
Its from home to home.
I recommend this friendly, comfortable hotel to anybody no matter your age.
Mrs C.D Stein

Most Creative Hotel I've stayed At

by TripAdvisor Member Yum1

I spent 1 night at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice and it was great - one of the most creative hotels that I've stayed in. As I arrived, I was met by a friendly gentlemen waiting at the door to take my bags into the hotel, while I was filling out the form for check-in, we were offered drinks. The ladies at the front desk were all very friendly & efficient. Check-in was quick and easy. The lift that we got into, looked like a shark cage with scenes of water and sharks around you - VERY innovative. On my way down to reception, I got into another lift and this one was very much like being in the cable car up table mountain - 5 stars for creativity.

Then there's the chill area, very informal kind of lobby area where you can just hang out and have a drink ... this place is very vibey.

The hotel itself is situated in town, whereas most tourist would prefer the V & A Waterfront area. There is also some renovation taking place at the hotel, which means that there is some noise through out the day but this should be completed by July 2008.

All in all - a pleasant hotel to stay at.

Fab Hotel But Watch Out For the Construction Work

by TripAdvisor Member PilotBoy72

Myself and wife are just back after 5 great nights in Cape Town. After reading the great reviews on this hotel on Trip Advisor we thought we would give it a go. On arrival there appeared quite a lot of noisy construction work going on accross the street due to expansion of the hotel. We were not unduley concerned, but soon were as we were given a room facing directly on to a full blown demolition project. We had just come in from a 12 hour flight an were initally very grateful they allowed us to check in at 11am hoping for a couple hours sleep but there was no hope given the unbelieveable noise. I complained immediately and to be fair, by the end of the day we had a much better room on the top floor on another side of the building. The construction work I believe is going on until June/July 2009 and nothing was mentioned to us while booking (which we were not so happy about) so please make sure you are allocated a room away from the noise. Once moved, the work did not affect us at all.

Bad stuff over, I have to say once we moved room everything was great and much in line with other comments. Staff superb, friendly and helpful. Room was modern, funky and great and was cleaned to an exceptionally high standard every day. Breakfast was great with a huge selection and we ate dinner once which was not quite as good as we hoped, but not bad. Overall would heartily recommend this hotel, just check on the construction and where your room is going to be....

After 53 Countries The Best Hotel in the WORLD This is Home for me

by TripAdvisor Member scor

I still cant believe that I finally found a hotel I can call my home away from home this hotel REALLY delivers and beyond my greatest expectations.I am a Marriott and Hilton Elite member and none of them and other hotel 5 stars I stayed at can measure up with this hotel. Before I arrive I spoke with this particular staff Monde who was so welcoming that it was hard to believe he looked after my resevation and arrange my tours,requests etc.before I arrive. Check-in was a breeze at 6 am in the morning the staff had the energy of 3 pm in the afternoon Everyone was so welcoming this was true hospitality I have to admit these staffs were first class to none. There was nothing they could not do for me. My room was amazing the hotels decor was everything you could have imagine funky, vibrant, elegant,and true patriotic african touch.My favourite part of the hotel other than the staff was the room ,the elevator and the irridescent lighting throughout. I stayed here truely because of the reviews and i really thank all the past guests because i was going to stay somewhere else but at the last minute I change for this hotels and one of the best decisions I made in life. The meals here are sumptious the breakfast,dinners and the they have wonderful burgers and shakes too, many selections that is hard to resist. The room was always spotless the maids do work hard on keeping it spotless and the bed was soo comfortable as soon as I get in I was asleep in minutes this was the best bed ever i wish I could bring it home with me.All rooms have a nice big flat screen TV and a nice Bose radio, and the icing was that this hotel provides free WIFI internet 24 hrs a day. I still cannot believe after been to so many countries I finally found a hotel I can call home and the best staff ever they are all young and enegetic very genuine and enjoy the great job they are doing.Heads up to the Manager Leanka who I think is doing a wonderful job and I thank you for everything.Words cannot describe how great this hotel was the room,staffs,decor,food, service, and the best location in Cape Town close to everything Waterfront, Table Mountain,and downtown. If you are looking for a location this is the place to be and NO where else this would your home away from home these people really take good care of their guest this may rate a 3.5 star but to me it is a 5 star at heart. Thanks Protea Fire and Ice I will be back in October.Also the area is very upscale and in a safe neighbourhood also the hotel security is paramount and very good. Also Cape Town is now my new favourite city this city has it all. GO STAY AT PROTEA FIRE AND ICE they are waiting to welcome you and take care of you believe me they will.

Fantastic location, service, beds, and breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member CdnGurl

I just came back from Capetown 3 days ago and am so enthused with this hotel that i just had to add a review. I stayed at the hotel for 8 days. The price is really good - supposedly this is a 3 star hotel- but it didnt feel like that at all. It is super clean, the bed is really comfortable, the shower has good pressure, the staff are amazingly nice and accomodating- it is all around wonderful! The breakfast is really high quality too- a lof of fruit and good cheese. I will definately go back!

So Friendly, So Cape Town

by TripAdvisor Member Jeeppers

From the warm welcome we received when we arrived we knew this place would be good. Staff could not have been any more helpful, even after a few hours there they made you feel right at home. Rooms are "different" with shower not separated from the bedroom but this just made the place even more special. Very close to Long Street and only a short taxi ride away from the V & A Waterfront (also walkable if you prefer). Can't wait to return

Enjoyed it so much that we went back for a second time!

by TripAdvisor Member Olp1e

We've just returned from South Africa and really loved the Fire and Ice hotel in Cape Town. I fully agree with the sentiments expressed on this site - the is a fantastic hotel.
A good traveller's tip is to visit in July/August - hotel rates are rock bottom, yet the weather is still mild. During our 17 day stay, there was only 1 day rain and on most days there was bright sunshine. We found that the rate offered by booking directly with the hotel was much better than through the Central Reservations Department.

A hip well-priced hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DanSeattle

It's a hip well-priced hotel, with themed elevators, a nice lounge, and clean rooms. We had a little trouble with the internet being down for a while and two of the three elevators being broken, but all-in-all it was still a good experience. The room was quiet, dark, and comfortable, so we slept great. Note that there is only glass separating the shower from the main room, so make sure you're very comfortable with your roommate.

Briliant

by TripAdvisor Member finners80

Booked this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. The hotel is located 5 mins walk from Long Street. This street is buzzing with bars and cafes/restaurants - (Great Italian restaurant is 95 Keerom St) down the side of the Dubliner pub. WE met the owner of the Dubliner who very kindly walked us to the restaurant.
From check-in to the welcome at the bar and the free just-popped popcorn, we both felt that this place was something special. The bedrooms are a touch small but have everything, BOSE radio/cd, flat screen tv. The bathroom is "ensuite" which means that the shower is in the room - sounds weird but works. As other reviewers said, you wouldnt want to be sharing with your mother!! The toilet is separate and enclosed. The room overall works brilliantly though.
For the price we paid, it was very good value for money. The hotel is about ten minutes drive from Camps Bay which is a great spot for breakfast or drinks watching the sunset.
We hired a car so the Fire and Ice was a perfect base to explore Cape Town. We syated 3 nights, then drove to Hermanus and had already confirmed 2 nights at the Westin Arabella but we both wished we were going back to the Fire and Ice for our last two nights!

Beautiful, Colourful Cape Town

by COLJEANH

"Colours in Cape Town"

If you get the chance you MUST visit Cape Town now! They have had a very wet winter and the result is that the flora in Cape Town and its surrounds is absolutely stunning at the moment. Everywhere you go the greenery is vibrant and the flowers are just breathtakingly beautiful!

The weather was absolutely gorgeous whilst I was there and it is such an exciting place to visit.

"Protea Hotels"

Whilst visiting Cape Town I spent one night at Protea President Hotel and 1 night at Extreme Hotel, Cape Town (also a Protea property). These properties are very different in look, atmopshere and location, but the one thing that they both had in common was the commitment to excellence of every single staff member that I encountered. They have the knack of making you feel very special, and this attribute is missing in a great many of the chain hotel groups nowadays, where you are just another number. Protea has many properties in the Cape Town area, all different in look, atmosphere, location and price, but believe me when I tell you that they have something for everyone, from the most budget conscious traveller right up to the exclusive market. Family hotels, corporate hotels, beach hotels, city hotels, winelands hotels - you must try them!

Comments