Road Lodge Cape Town N1 City

Louwtjie Rothman Street, N1 City, Cape Town, South Africa

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Cape Town

Sunset  Camps Bay    (Cape Town)Sunset Camps Bay (Cape Town)

Picnic under Trees Fransch HoekPicnic under Trees Fransch Hoek

...and sometimes you can even spot a whale...and sometimes you can even spot a whale

Looking down at the bussed in tourists belowLooking down at the bussed in tourists below

Travelling to Cape Town with my 1 year old - advice please!!

by priyabish

Hi

I am travelling alone with to Australia, then Cape Town with my 1 year old daughter. I am staying with family and friends in both locations. I am concerned about two things - firstly how should I manage the time difference in Australia? My baby is a great sleeper right now and I am worried messing with her times may change this for good!! Secondly how safe is Cape Town, in terms of being out and about during the day (ie muggings etc) and I have been advised by my nurse that the water is unsafe so I have to steralise all of her water including bath water. I currently boil her water and steralise bottles - is this enough?

Any advice gratefully received.
Ta

RE: Travelling to Cape Town with my 1 year old - advice please!!

by Gerald_D

Your friends/family in Cape Town will advise you on safety aspects here, particular to their suburb - you will probably be surprised to hear that will be very few restrictions on your movements.

Cape Town's water is collected from mountains nearby and no tap water is re-cycled. As with other top international water supplies, the water is slightly chlorinated to sterilise it.

Some of the bottled water sold in supermarkets is in fact tap water with the residual chlorine removed.

RE: RE: Travelling to Cape Town with my 1 year old - advice please!!

by Jenniflower

The water in Cape Town is excellent quality, I think it's third best in the world in South Africa? I live in London and dont drink tap water here, but have always done so in South Africa.

RE: Travelling to Cape Town with my 1 year old - advice please!!

by mandybee

I travelled from Cape Town to Australia and back with my 1yr old (she is now 3) and it was fine - the return flight was a daylight flight, she did sleep (with some help of a paediatric syrup called stopayne). My best advice is to just go with the flow- you kid will find his/her own rythym with the time change- its a holiday and dont let that stress you out.

Re the water- pleeeeeeeeeeeeez- this water is stunning. we all drink the tap water and bath in it too!!! I used to boil the water that I mixed with the baby formula (just cos thats what we all do ) but after 1yr of age - my daughter was drinking normal milk as well as tap water. she drank tap water from 0 yrs old. its fine. re safety- just be aware as in any city. your relatives and friends will guide you. have a great time !!!!

RE: RE: Travelling to Cape Town with my 1 year old - advice please!!

by mandybee

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Purchase a mobile or a SIM Card

by TRimer

Despite what we had read beforehand, we found it impossible to rent a cell/mobile phone while we were in country (wanted to have one for emergencies/convenience while driving the garden route). So we ended up purchasing one rather inexpensively. We bought a nokia model for about $40 US and a prepaid plan for another $20. It came with about 30 minutes airtime which was more than enough. Again- we bought it for security. Went to the local Vodafone in Greenpoint not far from the rental car pickups.

Baine's Kloof ~ Tweede Tol

by Jenniflower

Baine's Kloof in the mountains in the Cape has one of our favourite camping spots, Tweede Tol.

The river here is crystal clear, has spectacular colouring, has a natural jacuzzi, many little marine animals, plus there's a waterfall a short hike away.

My hubby enjoys his fly fishing here! Bliss :)

American Express Travellers cheques

by rachel_sun

Nedbank does not charge any commision to change American Express travellers cheques.
Trust Bank has an office at Cape Town airport and it is open Monday-Friday from 9am to 3.30 pm and on Saturday until 10.30pm.It does have a fee for changing cheques,but its mostly alot cheaper than other banks or agencies.

Excellent Seafood

by longsanborn about Cape Town Fish Market

Located in the Victoria Mall at the V&A Waterfront. Restaurant is really popular, was very busy. Had to wait for 10 minutes for our table. Lots of people. Excellent food.

For an european tourist (like me) the paying for good food is not really expensive in Cape Town, even in the very touristy Waterfront area. I had sushi and tempura - they were all fresh + delicious. My friend had grilled Kingklip (white fish) and he enjoyed his meal very much.

A touch of Magic in Cape Town

by GerryFM about Madame Zingara

The deep purple star-studded exterior would be more at home in a childrens fairy story than in conventional Loop Street, and crossing the threshold could well be compared to Alice stepping through the looking glass into Wonderland.

The interior is full of surprises with distinctively different dining areas to choose from. The front parlour with its rich dark walls covered with an eclectic mix of artwork, offers intimate dining in delightful surrounds. The main section of the restaurant is reminiscent of a large Italian country kitchen complete with wooden table and pasta machine.
Tables are strewn with rose petals and with lots of candlelight the overall effect is warm and inviting.

Step through the back of the restaurant into a colourful Mediterranean courtyard with tinkling fountain and cafe style tables perfect for al fresco dining on warm summer evenings. Last, but by no means least, indulge your fantasies in the private dining room which leads off the courtyard. Dramatic dark green walls and red drapes contrast perfectly with the white napery of the elegantly laid table, and well trained staff ensure that your private function will be a resounding success.

Madame Zingara is full to capacity night after night, and this is due solely to the energy and enthusiasm of its talented chef, Richard Griffin. The food is simply superb with daring combinations of ingredients, such as the magnificent chocolate and chilli fillet, or the unusual broccoli and berry soup. Richard puts his heart and soul into each dish he creates and food presentation is faultless - he will even create the perfect cake for your private function using his wealth of confectionary skills. You will not leave Madame Zingara disappointed, and will in fact be only eager to return for another truly memorable dining experience. I had the Ostrich Steaks, and they were out of this world!!!!

Comments