Sinerset West Guest House

136 Helderberg College Rd, Somerset West, Western Cape, 7130, South Africa

More about Cape Town

Cape sceneryCape scenery

Greenmarket SquareGreenmarket Square

Live music in the restaurantLive music in the restaurant

Table mountain covered with its clothTable mountain covered with its cloth

visit to cape town in october

by ROMIE28

am travelling with my family to south africa in october(12-30). can somebody help me with ollowing-a)what would be the weather and what kind of clothing would be required. b)is their any public/ school holiday during these days. c)can my 3 year old sit in my lap while travelling in a car....in india we do that..traffic rule says seat belt required D)which are the must c places in cape town, knysna.e) any relaiable and reasonable car rental company.
thanks folks...pl. reply early

Re: visit to cape town in october

by mandybee

The weather SHOULD be good (t shirts/shorts/jeans/long sleeve t shirts, sweaters for evening)- bathuing suits and a sun hat- sun block, flip flops, walking shoes too!!

no school holidays - our schools are going back for final term next monday

three yr old can sit on lap- ie. you will not get a fine lots of people do it- or you can rent a car seat!!!

try tempest car hire

cape town- waterfront, beaches , camps bay beach and restaurants and bars , cape point,table mountain with the cable car, aquarium, botanical gardens, green market square in the city as well as long street (shops and general city life)

Knysna - so small you will see it all close by to plettenberg bay and all little places nearby- you wont have a problem finding things to to on the garden route. try go on the outeniqua choo choo- its atrain trip- 3 yr old will enjoy it too!!!

Travel Tips for Cape Town

EXPLORING CAPE TOWN.

by PEE-WEE

Cape Town works as a city in a way that so few on the African continent do. Historical buildings have been saved, there are restaurants, cafes and bars, parks and gardens, markets and shops - all the things that make living in a city worthwhile. And there are a few things that most cities don't have: mountains, magnificent surf beaches and outstanding vineyards. Give yourself at least a week to explore it all.

THE MAGIC OF CAPE TOWN'S AIRPORT

by matt10gonzalez

One thing tourists easily miss is observing the life of an airport. Devote some time to stay (Even for 30 minutes) in Cape Town airport and you'll soon see its magic that you'll never forget.

THE MAGIC OF CAPE TOWN'S AIRPORT

When you see a plane that's arriving from London,

Go to the arrivals hall right away! Wait till the pasengers get out and prepare a video camera and the fortitude to hold your laughter. This is really funny and interesting I tell you! Because you're about to witness some of the most emotional people on earth.

Cape Town airport is quite different from the hectic airports like KL, Singapore or Paris. Instead of taxis, drivers, hotel commisioners that crowd the arrivals hall, it's mostly grannies, love ones, kids and just a few hotel people and hired taxi drivers! It feels very homey. That's how laid back Cape Town is! Even up to the airport!

And boy, the love ones are sure amusing to look at alright! It turns out, people coming from London here are like people coming back from war to be with their love ones.
Here, you'll see:

- Mothers, children, family relatives all waiting for their love ones.
- Boyfriends waiting for their girlfriends with roses! How cute. And if their girlfriend arrives late, they start to cry! And when they meet, they'll even start French kissing in public! Wow, how sweet. I think I'll do the same.
- And this is very cute: There was even a family that was holding a big "Welcome Home" sign for their son who arrived from London. I think I should do the same back home!

And you know what? When their love ones arrive, almost all of them end up crying in public! It's beautiful. They really go out their way to their love ones like they've never seen them before!

There was one 5 yr. old, I think he was the youngest of the family; he was waiting for his father. Then when his father came, he really ran to him and hugged him and cried! Wow! I was laughing. (I was happy too!) How cute, it's like in the movies! I bet that's what our dad wants us to do! (When our dad comes from abroad, we just say hello like it was no big deal.)

Then that's when I quickly realized it: London, for the locals of South Africa, is probably like America to the Filipino. All their loves ones who go there to work or study and they don't see them for a very long time. So that's why when they go back, it's like seeing them coming from war.

Wow! That's new! Back home in Bacolod, the Philippines, they do the same thing too. But they're much more reserved: I don't see 'Welcome Home' signs, and much crying at all in the airport. (They do that all inside their transportation or when they're home already.) Here in Cape Town, it's all emotions out!

And I found it very interesting. I should do the same back home!

Craft Market near Red Hill

by DesertRat about Informal Markets

This craft market, which is located along the highway just outside Red Hill on the Cape Peninsula, is chock-a-block with quite respectably crafted sculpture, both in stone and in wood. Items range from very small statues of animals such as rhinos and hippos to huge wood figures representing both animals and people. It's certainly worth a stop, though if you buy something, make sure you haggle at least a little, even if the prices do seem to be quite low.

KULULA

by BerniShand

Kulula must be the worlds funniest airline, what other airline tells you durung the safety briefing that if you are caught smoking in the toilet during the flight you will be made to sit on the naughty seat on the wing ? announcements were fun not boring and made us laugh
I suppose if you fly regularly with Kulula the jokes become a tad stale, but we just flew with then twice, to Port Elizabeth and back to Cape Town, Kulula is a no-frills budget airline but the seats are comfortable and we had enough legroom

Gourmet at the Waterfront

by TRimer about Emily's

I had read about Emily's in my guide book and online- but the first time we went to the V&A Waterfront I mistakeningly thought it was an outside bar type place. When we returned to the Waterfront on our last day in Cape Town, we bumped into the restaurant while looking for a place to ship masks home. We had what was probably our best meal in South Africa here- and since we had so many great meals that is saying alot.

The restaurant is one of the best in Cape Town. It has achieved an enviable reputation having been nominated on many occasions as one of South Africa's TOP TEN restaurants. Emily's is one of only a few restaurants, not attached to wine estates or international hotel groups, ever to have won the Diamond award of Diners Club International. The food was awesome. Here is what the chef says about the food. "My philosophy of cooking is simple: let the ingredients speak for themselves. I am set on flavour and do not
follow trends by other chefs, nor do I copy them. I am in love with the flavours of Africa
and proud to be a South African "boere-boy". Often I combine hot and cold on the same
plate and frequently contrast flavours or do a counterpoint of similar flavours in order to
create a complex canvas. My only criterion is the freshness of vegetables, salads, fish and sea food and, by contrast, meat which is well matured."

I had the most wonderful chicken dish. It was the Bobotie B'Stilla on Pampoenkoekies and Katjangghorrie Sauce. Simply wonderful. The wine list is fantastic and there are also wonderful desserts.

Comments