The PortsWood Hotel Cape Town

Booking.com Hotels.com Agoda.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Terrific Location.

Situated in wonderful position just two minutes walk down to the waterfront. The hotel is connected to the Commodore Hotel and is sister to the Portswood. Both are in outstanding positions.

The foyer is small and appealing with fast, friendly check in service. Staff seem to be plentiful and welcoming. Down two steps is the bar and restaurant area. Breakfast is served overlooking the pool, with a lovely European flavour and ambiance. The only complaint we have of this hotel is the size of the rooms.

After a long haul flight from Australia we were given room 337 which was a petite double standard room with little space to put two large suitcases, not to mention a 6’ 4ins man!! . Seeing we were in Sth Africa for business and had this room booked for a week, we decided the room certainly had to go…..or alternatively moving to another hotel.

In the morning we told staff our problem and they were extremely helpful in allocating us to a suite on the ground floor. Our room 101 was charming, spacious with king size bed, large bathroom, working desk with two lounge chairs and coffee table. Internet connection, safe, mini bar, air-conditioning, tea and coffee facilities.

Unique Quality: PROS: Marvelous position better than Holiday Inn or Sheraton which are located in the business centre with shuttle bus distance to waterfront. Cape Grace is expensive and only two minutes away from Portswood looks over dock area of harbour. If looking for value then Portswood or Commodore offers a better alternative. Staffs very accommodating and affable, although at breakfast it was a little slow.

Breakfast is great with a first-rate selection of fresh fruit, juices, and continental delights. Also one can have a cooked breakfast if required. Bar area small but relaxing although it closes at 11.00pm…the Commodore bar stays open 24hours. (Portswood Hotel users can use facilities at Commodore as they have one owner.) Room service superb, with a lovely touch of turning beds down at night and filling ice-bucket. Use of Commodore facilities such as the Admiralty lounge and health spa and gymnasium.

CONS: If staying in standard rooms, well they are small, dark and gloomy. For an enjoyable stay I highly recommend booking a suite .I noticed there are about three on every floor. Rooms are also shaded in heavy nautical colours, an update in fresh modern colours would do this hotel wonders.

OVERALL: Brilliant position offering good value with capable friendly staff. I would only stay here….if a suite was available. An interesting city with an abundance of tours offering a wide variety of sight seeing and activities...

• julia687's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel

We had 2 nights here and it was fine for what we needed it for. Its about a 5 min walk to the V&A Waterfront. The rooms were clean and not a bad size, staff were friendly and helpful. There is an onsite restaurant where they serve breakfast,lunch and dinner plus a small bar which is open till 11pm. There is a travel desk to book any excursions and to help you with anything.
    You can use all the facilities of the sister hotel - The Comodore which is next door including their gym. They have a 24 hour bar for your night cap.
    Overall a nice hotel, good location - nothing fancy but clean and comfortable I'd give it a 3* rating.

Directions: 5 min walk from the V&A Waterfront

More about The PortsWood Hotel Cape Town

Lately I have been staying at...

by ian-uk

Lately I have been staying at the Portswood Hotel near the Waterfront. Excellent accomodation and the most helpfull and friendly staff I've seen in any Hotel anywhere. Highly recommended. The restaurant has a lot of competition with the Waterfront nearby but it's special Cape Malay menu is excellent.

Quarterdeck, Portswood Hotel

by phil_uk_net about Quarterdeck, Portswood Hotel

I have this thing about eating local style food when I visit somewhere. Within the Waterfront area of Cape Town there are loads of good restaurants but not one serving local style Cape Malay food. However, this place just outside the Waterfront, in the Portswood Hotel does serve this type of food and is fantastic.
Hotel restaurants are not normally my first choice but this is definitely an exception. The Cape Malay dishes, cooked by chef Miranda, are exquisite. The worst thing was deciding what to order as I wanted to order everything! However, my friend Miranda had an idea how to fix this. After coming out of the kitchen to have a chat with us she offered to serve me samples of several dishes rather than one dish off the menu. Perfect!! The unique influence of different cultures in this part of the world has resulted in a style of cooking that takes a lot of beating. And, with the poor Rand being valued so low, prices for foreigners are incredibly cheap. Highly recommended (I just hope Miranda is still there). Any of the Cape Malay dishes.

The Quarterdeck restaurant, Portswood HotelThe Quarterdeck restaurant, Portswood Hotel

Hotel Suggestions in Cape town

by mdkulkarni

Hello!! I am going to be in Cape Town for 4 days from Jan 3, 2004 to Jan 7, 2004. From what I understand the best place to stay which is near and in the centre of all entertainment etc is the V & A waterfront. I have surfed all the websites pertaining to the hotel rates for this area ( they are really expensive), and have come with a couple of options. Can someone please let me know if these are any good, and/or they are as close and middle of everything as they claim?

The hotels I am looking at are:

- The Portwood Hotel
- The Cullinan
- Breakwater Lodge
- City Lodge

Can anyone help me by amking any other suggestions of possible?

Re: Hotel Suggestions in Cape town

by glennkasner

es these hotels are very close or in the V&A but very expensive. I can recommend a few more that are a bit further away but still within reach of all the essential areas.
Drop me a line - I'll try to get a list together in the mean time. My alternate e-mail address is g.kasner@smit.com
Cheers
Glenn

Re: Re: Hotel Suggestions in Cape town

by glennkasner

Good shout Keith. Hotels are a bit expensive that time of the year. B&B's generally offer a more personalised service.
Glenn

Re: Re: Hotel Suggestions in Cape town

by mdkulkarni

Thank you for our posts. The hotels in the V & A waterfront do seem expensive. The cheapest I have found is a 4 satr proprty called Portswood hotel and that is for $ 160 per night!! Can you send me some suggestions on where else will be a nice area to stay? You see this is my honeymoon and we are hoping to stay in an area which is near or preferably in the middle of all the entertainment, restaurants and shopping etc?

Any help or suggestions will be higly appreciated!

Mallika