The Sir Francis

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Cape Town

SunsetSunset

St. Mary's CathedralSt. Mary's Cathedral

Township tour with Grassroots - CapetownTownship tour with Grassroots - Capetown

Sunset on Signal HillSunset on Signal Hill

Final thesis in Cape Town

by Rachelle_88

I am planning to come to Cape Town next february to do my final thesis. At the moment i am in my last year of the study Communication and Multimedai Design. I don't have a place to do my intern yet and i still need a lot of information.

Can anyone give me some useful tips? Any kind of information is welcome :)!

by faurec

Hi Rachelle
I have no problem with giving you information.

Cape Town cover a big area, and public transport is not very good. I suggest you find a place to do your internship, and then we worry about where to stay.

When looking for a place to do your internship, also look at places based in Stellenbosch. Some big companies are based there, and it is not far from Cape Town.

For any specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.
From a sunny (and today also windy) Cape Town
Faure

by Rachelle_88

Yes thank you :). At the moment i have contact with an organization that arranges internships in Cape Town. They arrange the place to do the internship and accomodation. I have contact with a organization in Cape Town, but i don't have the place yet. I hope i get it and that i am able to come to beautiful Cape Town.

I saw that you are a active member of this community. Do you probably know if there are other members in this community which did or are currently doing their internship in Cape Town?

by faurec

No, unfortunately I do not know of members of this forum that do internships.

I know of some others doing medical internships here, but that, believe me is not multimedia! :)

Once you have a place to "work", let me know. If I can help you to pick your place of accommodation, I will be glad to help. From experience with my own daughter, when she had to do her internship, I know the uncertainties.
F

by lynnehamman

Good luck in your internship, I am sure that it will work out fine.
I spent most of my life in CT- it is a great city- very friendly and hospitable.You are sure to meet lots of new friends.

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Laser surgery

by paradisedreamer

South Africa / Cape Town has become very popular for cosmetic surgery. It is much cheaper than Europe or America and the doctors are just as good if not better. South Africa may be a third world country in many respects but it has the technology of the first world.
While in Cape Town I decided to have laser eye surgery. I booked a consultation beforehand with a tentative appointment for the surgery in case I changed my mind. I can highly recommend it. It is eight months later and my vision is perfect. I had it done at 2pm and by that evening my vision was good enough to watch TV. If you would like more info about the surgery e-mail me. My surgeon was fantastic and even came in on a Sunday to give me a check-up afterwards. It did not impinge on my holiday very much at all. It cost half what it would in the UK so it you can look at it as a free holiday at the same time!

There's the Cape doctor and there's also Cape coma

by cosmopolit

Capetonians are fiercely proud of their easygoing image, openly laughing at their more frenetic fellow South Africans from the north and shrugging off admonitions of being afflicted by what has widely become known as the ‘Cape coma’. It usually shows when someone uses "hectic" to describe styles or colours or just anything sticking out of the regular...;-))

Noordhoek and it's long, white, pristine beach

by Jenniflower

Noordhoek village, perched between Cape Town's longest stretch of beach and the dramatic and ever popular Chapman?s Peak Drive, has become even more popular in recent years with those seeking a more tranquil lifestyle. This is horse-land.. where there are quite a few stables and everyone is into their horses and their art. Yes, another arty part of Cape Town haha.

Noordhoek Farm Stall is a must-see with its stunning arts and crafts and delicious foods on offer. Red Herring is a favourite restaurant of ours here too, a bit pricey but well worth it.

Long Beach is a glimmering white beach, with an eight km stretch of sand, and its own shipwreck! You can go for camel and horseback rides on it, plus as its on the side where the sun sets, you are in for a treat at dusk! Due to rough currents, the beach is not that safe for swimming, but is very popular with the local surfers. For swimming, people generally go across the valley to Fish Hoek beach.

South American Sounds

by kngtut about Buena Vista Social Club

The name says it all. If you wanna dance then try Bossanova down the road for some sexy rhythms.

Great food and great music. Good place to meet fro a drink afterwork, or before clubbing if that is your thing. Smart Casual

Cape To Cuba

by Jenniflower about Cape To Cuba

Cuban in theme, this is a very popular restaurant. You have to book a long time in advance due to this. It is worth the wait though. The ambiance is lovely, the decor different and interesting! A small harbour is opposite, and the patio seats offer a wonderful view of the ocean - especially at sundown.

Uniquely, everything in this restaurant is for sale... from the chandelier hanging above your head to the table you are sitting at! The price tags are in full view of you and so you can literally 'take your chair' with you! The owner has an antiques busines in Kalk Bay and also uses the restaurant as a show-room. Great idea, albeit expensive...

One can only hope that someone who's on their dessert hasnt taken a liking to your chair whilst you are still on your starter... My favourite dishes are the chicken and veg ones, call me plain and undaring! But the other dishes are great and imaginative!

I have to admit though that the Black bean soup didnt seem to taste as nice the last time I visited... maybe there was a new chef on the job or something, but it wasnt the same. The Hemingway Salad was a bit lacking on the salad side - usually the flash-fried tuna steak floats on a Royal Garden of salad.

Cape To Cuba's brand-named cocktail mixes the ever-present dark rum with gin, schnapps, pineapple juice and blue curacao into a bright-blue light concoction that one has to avoid thinking of as cooldrink. Mojitos were the other favoured cocktail in our party.

Comments