3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Knysna

Lagoon marshesLagoon marshes

Family roomFamily room

A nest of your ownA nest of your own

ABSEILABSEIL

Phantom Forrest & Bungee jumping

Hi,
I am returning to the beautiful Cape in November after 18 years absence. I lived in Cape Town for 4 years and my daughter was born there, so I want to show my kids just how beautiful South Africa is.
We are staying in a log cabin in the Phantom Forest for part of the trip and wondered, as it is isolated, will it be safe, especially at night?
Also, my daredevil children want to do the world's highest bungee jump from the Bloukrans Bridge while we are there. Any info on this - safety, price etc?

Hi Catherine

I share the same birth year as you and have kids aged 20 and 22. They love the Garden Route area and they drive there by themselves already. My wife and I both sleep very easily when they are in that area by themselves - we think that it is completely safe.

May I suggest that you address your questions to this forum instead:

The biggest danger that you are going to face is that your children will want to move here permanently! Enjoy your stay!

Thanks Gerald,

You're right - my biggest worry is that they will want to stay - but so might I!!

My kids are 18 and 20 so quite close to yours as well.

Regards

C

by Gerald_D

I phoned my son (who is at Jeffreys Bay at the moment) and asked about the Bloukrans bunjee. He recalls the fee as being R550 plus R80 for the video.

I asked him why he doesn't do the jump - "What? pay that amount of money to some smoked (marijuana) Kiwis for jumping off one of our own bridges??!!" He says the whole backpacker culture in the Tsitsikama area revolves around marijuana.

However, I don't recall ever hearing anything unsafe about the bunjee jumping.

Hi Gerald

Thanks for doing that for me.

Personally I can't think of anything worse than jumping off a bridge - except possibly watching your kids doing it!! - I am hoping that when they see how high it is they will chicken out! (Or maybe the cost will put them off - fingers crossed).

Gerald

Just wondered if you could recommend a good HIre Car Firm in Cape Town. ?

The operators at Bloukrans (and Gouritz):

It is difficult for me to recommend car hire in Cape Town, because I never use them here.

The mainstream (& expensive ones are still Avis, Budget, Imperial, Sixt(?)). Tempest are normally cheaper, but a much longer walk at the airport because they operate from the "backyards".

Kulula (of low-cost flight fame) has introduced car hire for more than a year already. Nothing bad (or good) about them makes the press - they seem to be happy with their low profile:

Adelphi of Sea Point has been around for years - maybe they give you a good offer:

by Celticgirl

You're a gem. You have reminded me how kind South Africans are and why I still miss SA after all this time.

Thanks again

Glad that you liked it!

Travel Tips for Knysna

KNYASNA

by PEE-WEE

Knysna nestles on the banks of a beautiful lagoon in the heart of the ‘Garden Route’ of South Africa. It is surrounded by a natural paradise of lush indigenous forests, tranquil lakes and golden beaches, making it a real natural wonderland.

A moderate climate and a fine selection of accommodation, restaurants and enjoyable activities make Knysna the perfect holiday destination.

FAT SUSI'S

by PEE-WEE about FAT SUSI'S

Fat Susi's Coffee Place and Bistro is Knysna's most historical coffee shop.

Enjoy a European side -walk cafe ambience set under shady oak trees.* The cakes as well as the freshly prepared Mauritian spicy curries are a must..

The coffee's are excellent and well worth the visit.

Fat Susi's is fully licensed ,
open daily from 8 to 5.*

Take a trip to Plett

by kentishgirl

If you have a car or you fancy jumping on the bus and travelling 30mins or so down the Garden route you will come to the town of Plettenberg Bay, a beautiful town with stunning beaches and air it's safe to breath in!

Knysna

by janet488

"It's all about the lagoon"

Everything about the town is built around or related to the vast Knysna Lagoon. Because this is an upscale town, things are more expensive here than at other sites between Cape Town and PE. That certainly includes the resataurants, but it's still easy to get a good meal in a good restaurant, with wine, for much less than you would pay in the EU or US.

"Knysna Lagoon"

There are places to swim in the lagoon, but mostly that's not what the lagoon is about. The bottom is more muddy than sandy (especially the farther in you go from the Heads).
If you go boating, be aware that sand bars are everywhere and you really have to follow your charts exactly, or you will run aground. Also, because of the great size of the lagoon, it can get very windy, which on the water means very choppy!

"A different kind of B&B"

We stayed in B&Bs all along the Garden Route, but in Knysna we rented a little houseboat. The renting company, Lightley's, gives some short instructions and you're on your way.
You can cruise around the lagoon, but you can only get near the ocean end by going under the railroad bridge, and you can only do that when the tide is right. They will tell you when that is. And while you can go to various mooring spots, you can't take the boat to Knysna marina.
The boat itself is a sweet craft and very comfortable to sleep in. The very best part, for us, was late at night: we lay on the roof of the boat and saw the stars as we've never seen them before.

Comments