The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve

Phantom Pass Knysna 6552, Knysna, 6570, South Africa
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners


Satisfaction Excellent
Very Good


Value Score No Data

Good For Business
  • Families87
  • Couples86
  • Solo100
  • Business100

More about The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve

Dine in the middle of the forest with lagoon view

by laughing_lioness about The Phantom Forest

A lovely location not only for dinner. It's a hotel as well and I bet it's great to stay there as a hotel guest.

We only went there for dinner and I was most impressed by the location. The Phantom Forest Eco Reserve is built in the middle of a hill hidden in the forest. You can hardly see that there are buildings from down at the foot of the hill.
You park your car down at the gate house and the staff will pick you up to drive you up to the hotel and restaurant. It would be far too steep to drive yourself plus the road is really, really small.
There are different houses (lodges) belonging to Phantom Forest all connected by wooden stairs and gangways through the forest. A really cool experience. Anything really ... .it was just absolutely fabulous.

Do enjoy a cocktail before going to dinner! You can sit outside overviewing the lagoon.


by CarterNYC

"Ostrish in Oudtshoorn"

Took the old and dirty Outeniqua Choo-Choo train from Knysna to George and then headed up to the Ostrich farms in Oudtshoorn. Got to ride one of them unti he ran past a pole and slammed me into it. I got out alive but have a scar that runs from my elbow to wrist from it.

"Our Tree Top Suite in Knysna - Phantom Forest"

Amazing place to stay and eat - on top of a hill overlooking the bay. They take you up by Range Rover.

janelawrence's new South Africa Page

by janelawrence

South Africa - August 2001


This is the diary of Jane, Graham and Stephen (their 15-year old son) who went on a 3-week tour of South Africa. All that was booked up in the UK were the flight
from UK to Cape Town. the return flight from Jo'burg to the UK, the flight from Port Elizabeth to Durban, the two hire cars and the first couple of days in Cape
Town. Armed with the Rough Guide, Lonely Planet and the set of Portfolio accommodation books we set off on what must be one of the most enjoyable and
exciting holidays we've had so now read on ...

Thursday, August 2nd - Swanmore to Cape Town

Left home at 1:05pm with Derek driving us to Heathrow. We found the business lounge of Olympic Airways as Jane had booked us all to fly Business Class -it was
the best deal she could get even it meant her flying as a spouse. We took off on time and landed at 22:05 - 00:15 Athens time. Found the business lounge and ate
more food. We took off at 1:45 am - about an hour late because someone had failed to get a medical kit to the plane. We watched Chocolat or 102 Dalmations and
landed 40 minutes late in Jo'burg so rushed to our Cape Town flight. We landed on time in Cape Town at 13:10 but our luggage had not. We hired a blue Toyota
Corolla form Hertz and arrived at the Ayers at 3pm. We were met by Angela and Fuzzy. After unpacking we went for a Fuzzy-guided tour to Simonstown where
we saw the statue of Just Nuisance - a dog that helped drunken sailors find their way back to their boats. We got to Boulders Bay just after the fee collectors had
retired so were able to freely view the thousands of Jackass Penguins. Stephen got some to line up for a photograph. It all reminded us of their smaller brethren we'd
met a year ago on Philips Island, Australia. During the tour Stephen started to converse in the local dialect using words like robot (traffic lights), stream(lane), glide
lift(turn left), run on(straight on), circle(roundabout) and stop street(no equivalent in England - the word STOP is written across a road, both major and minor
roads). Yis he was enjoying it. We returned via Fishoek, the home of Mrs Ball's chutney, to meet Fuzzy's husband, Peter and their son Mike. Stephen approved of
the Ayers' home as it had a dog and a pool table. Our luggage was delivered to the house at 7:30.

Saturday, August 4th

We followed Angela to the Victoria and Alfred waterfront in Cape Town to get a fast boat to Robben Island, off the north coast of Cape Town. We clambered onto
a coach at the end of the pier. Our guide was a Xhosa and clicked a lot as well as being very humorous. The coach took us on a trip around the island. We drove
passed the lepers cemetery and stopped at the house Robert Sobukwe was held in as South Africa's only official political prisoner and then stopped at the lime
quarry where Nelson Mandela and many others worked. The ex-prisoners reconvene every 5 years and add further stones to a memorial cairn. We left the coach at
the prison and were shown around by an ex-prisoner who had been there for 5 years (1987-1992). It was a very moving experience. Whilst coming into dock
Jane's mobile went off. It was Bridget (Graham's step sister) saying that they arrived and were eating fish and chips 50 yards away. We joined them, had snoek and
chips and we all set off for the cable car but it was not running as it was too windy so we returned to the waterfront where Bruce, Tom and Stephen went round the
aquarium whilst the others quenched their thirst. We all met up again and walked through a shopping mall and bought some biltong. We left the Alexanders and
returned to the Ayers to take them out to Spurs for 500 gm steaks. In SA you tip people to look after your car whilst it's parked - very similar to what happens
when you watch a home match at Aston Villa.

Sunday, August 5th

We drove south to Cape Point which is a large nature reserve. We climbed up to the lighthouse and viewed, along with others the Atlantic Ocean. The Cape of
Good Hope can be classified, along with the Mannequin Pis and Copenhagen's Mermaid, as one of the world's greatest disappointments. It is not the most southerly
point of South Africa and the Indian and Atlantic Oceans do not meet there. Cape Point is south of the Cape of Good Hope by about a kilometre but you can walk
to it from Cape Point. The two oceans meet at the most southerly point of South Africa which is at Cape Agulhus. Anyway we enjoyed the view and discovered that
Jane had not seen whales but the Bellows Rock. We'd seen whales earlier in False Bay. Stephen's knee was playing up so whilst he took the funicular back down to
the car park his parents walked. We ate in a restaurant overlooking False Bay and when we returned to the car we found we'd had a visitor. Something had crept all
over the back window. We saw the culprit, a baboon, which was now amusing other tourists. On the way out of the reserve we saw several tortoises, one of which
was run over, accidentally, by a car. Stephen thought that as it was small it was young - about 20 years he declared. We drove up the west side of the Cape
Peninsula to Hoets Bay thinking we'd take a trip to Seal Island but the trips were not running. We had ice-creams instead and a phone call from Bridget to invite us
to their hotel for sun downers. We drove to the Bay Hotel at Camps Bay and had cocktails as we watched the sun disappear behind the palm trees and sink below
the marine horizon whilst Tom and Stephen played games on their handheld computers. For our evening meal we took the Ayers back to Spurs and had 600 gm
spare ribs.

Monday, August 6th

We drove up to the cable car terminus, left our car guarded by Clyde and his partner Bonnie, and took the cable car up to the top. The inside of the car rotates
slowly as it moves so their is no way of avoiding the wonderful views. We did a quick tour of the rocky, boulder strewn top and descended. We drove out of Cape
Town passed the shanty towns and the airport on the N2 to Grabouw where we turned North and made our way to Francshoek, via more wonderful views, and
had an excellent lunch at Le Quartier Francais. After lunch Jane drove to Stellenboch where we visited the village museum consisting of 5 old restored houses. To
pay for the car parking we needed a card but as we did not have one we paid a girl for the use of her card. Afterwards we visited the emporium of Oom & Sammies
Winkel - a mixture of bric a brac, Body Shop, Laura Ashley and Portobello Road cast-offs. We bought some candied fruit and fish biltong. We then drove to Spiers
where we were too late to taste any wine and too late for Stephen to stroke the cheetahs. Fuzzy took us to the 'village' where her mother lives with Fuzzy's aunt. The
'village' is a guarded compound with houses and apartments, a community centre and a dining room mainly inhabited by elderly people. In the evening Stephen lost
his marathon pool match to his father 8-10 and we ate with Peter and Fuzzy at home. Stephen has noticed 2 more SA idioms. If you hear 'Just now' in SA it means
'not now' and when the answer 'is it?' is uttered it means that the utterer has understood what you have just said.

Tuesday, August 7th - Capetown to Outshoorn

We got up at 6:30 and left at 7:15 and drove East through the mist to Somerset West where we turned off to drive through Strand and round the East side of False
Bay where we saw dolphins and more baboons. The main roads have hard shoulders delimited by a yellow line and the custom is to pull onto the hard shoulder
when someone wants to overtake you. This action is acknowledged by a wave or a wink of the hazard lights. We stopped at Mossel Bay where we had another
good lunch at the Gannet, as recommended by the Rough Guide. We visited the museum and saw the Post Office tree where sailors used to leave letters in a shoe
for other sailors. We drove over the Robinson Pass to Outshoorn and saw more fantastic views and baboons. Jane and Stephen selected a B&B from the Portofolio
book and we booked into Thylistra Villas where we were allocated a two-bedroomed self-contained villa. We rushed off to the Cango Caves but they had shut 20
minutes earlier at 4pm so we dashed back to the Wild Life Ranch but they were shut so we drove back to the Highgate Ostrich farm and made up the last party for
the day -just the 3 of us. Stephen fed the ostriches, stood on their eggs and sat on one. We watched them have a three bird race. We hope Stephen's fear of birds is
cured now. We returned to the B&B where the maid brought us sherry and we ate ostrich steaks in the candlelit dining room and drank the home grown red wine.

Wednesday, August 8th - Outshorn to Storms River

Left after breakfast and visited the crocodile and cheatah park where we saw wallabies and lions, tigers, crocodiles and cheetahs. Next we drove further on and
visited the Cango Caves. On the way back to Outshorn we stopped and paid R19 for an empty ostrich egg. We could have paid R30 for a full one. We stopped in
the town and had lunch. We then drove to George and along the Garden Route with Stephen asleep in back. Had no idea where we would stay but as we had lots
of time we kept driving till we got to Storms River village where we stopped at a gorgeous B&B called The Armargh which was delightful and were welcomed by ??
and Johan. We walked into village. We are now in the Tsitstkamma Foresst. We booked some activities for the next day - blackwater tubing for Stephen and a
woodcutter trail for Jane and Graham. Back to the Armagh for dinner - lak & potaato soup, hake, lamb stewed and apple pie, all washed down by a bottle of SA
Merlot (R45 a bottle). Played rummy and went to bed. Stephen had a room of his own and was glad there was an Irish Terrier called Maggie May.

Thursday, August 9th - Storms River to St Francis Bay

Woke up to find there were clouds and wind but very warm still - shorts weather today. We all got up for breakfast but Stephen had been awake since 6.30.
Breakfast was excellent -a cooked full English Breakfast. At 8.30 Graham took Stephen to the adventure office to get his wet suit and helmet. Off he went. Graham
and Jane paid, booked the evening accommodation at a friend of the owners and left The Armargh. We parked the car outside the adventure office and started to
walk. It was cloudy but very warm. We walked to the main road (N2) and crossed over to get to the Big Tree. Our walk took us to the tree (girth of 8 adults
holding hands and an 800 years old yellow wood) and then on a circular forest walk for about 1.5 miles. At 11.30 our woodcutters excursion met but set off late. It
was a wonderful tour in an open side truck through indiginous forest and took us along the old N2 built on an old elephant path. We saw crazy trees, tree ferns,
yellow wood, grasshoppers about three inches long, Knysna lourie birds, fish eagle, etc. We saw some wild streptercocie in the rocks. Lunch was laid out on a
picnic table by the Storms River. We had lasagne & salad, bread, pate, apple tart. We returned and waited for Stephen to return. He did but he was very exhausted.
We drove up the N2 to Francis Bay and were welcomed by X & Y at the Cycads By The Sea B&B. A cycad is a palm-like plant that was around long before the
dynosaurs and are quite rare and valuable. We had two well-appointed rooms with TV and en-suite bathrooms. We joined X & Y for a sherry and walked a
kilometre to the Z bar and restaurant where we ate prawn cocktails followed by steenbras (a fish) and washed it all down with a good bottle of SA Merlot. We
walked home in the dark using the torch we'd been lent and played rumicub in the living room of the main house - well it made a change from rummy.

Friday, August 10th - St. Francis Bay to Addo

We had breakfast with soft poached eggs in the 'conference centre' of the B&B as Stephen talked to Tasha, the schnauzer and Jane admired the cycads (valued at
R25 per cm). We left at 9 am and drove to St. Francis Port and back to the far end of the town (85% thatched and white-walled houses) to look at the canals. The
residential part is less than 50 years old having been built by an enterprising farmer called Lelsie Hullett. We left the area and drove to Humansdorp and the N2 and
thence to Port Elizabeth (PE to locals). Jane thought we should drive along the M10 but eventually we decided to drive along the N10. M-roads are Metropolitan
whilst N-roads are National. After 4 km we turned off on to a gravel track along which we bumped for 8 km to the gate of the Gorah Elephant Camp in the Addo
Game Reserve. We entered our names in the visitors log and drove another 12 km along a dirt track to the camp consisting of one single-storeyed colonial-style
building and 10 tent houses. We were greeted with rock shandies and shown around the well-appointed building full of antiques, paintings, oil lamps and candles.
Our luggage was taken to our tent house - a large single room with a fan and double bed in front of a bathroom area - shower on the left, toilet on the right. The
living area at the front of the bed and tent had a desk, table and chairs, a gas heater and a decanter of sherry. We ate lunch at 1pm whilst waiting for the Alexanders.
It started raining. The lunch was good - capsicum soup, hake and a brandy snap cone. The Alexanders arrived at 2:30 and we sat at the table with them whilst they
ate and we swapped our travel reports from Cape Town. At 4pm tea with canapés was served. It stopped raining. At 4:30 the six of us clambered into an open
sided safari Land Rover and set off in search of elephants. After ten minutes of seeing nothing except hartebeests in their boxer shorts we stopped and saw a black
rhino 100 yards away marking its territory in the scrub bushes. We then drove alongside a fence made of stakes, railway lines and very thick cable for 1 km then
quietly around a corner where we saw 50 yards away our first elephants. We continued along the track and came across a male and female elephant eating at the
side of the track. We stopped and took copious photos at a distance of 20 feet. We drove on a bit and turned round to get closer. The male had backed off into the
bushes but the female continued to munch the bushes 6 feet from us. On returning to our tents we spruced ourselves up, had a sherry and wandered down for dinner.
We were offered red, white or sparkling wine and were introduced to the only guests, Kit and Allen, owners of the Phantom Forest where the Alexanders had
stayed the previous night. William, a waiter, gave us a rendition of the click song made famous by Miriam Makebe (Mama Africa). Dinner was good - grilled
calamari, roast kudu and orange creme brulee washed down with more red wine. At 7:30 PM we all clambered back into the Land Rover and went for another ride
but this time in the dark. A powerful handheld light searched for eyes whilst we all kept warm under blankets. We saw porcupine, elephant shrew, kudu and
hartebeests but no elephants. It rained again. We got to bed at 10:30 after shutting the tent flaps. We left the gas burner and the outside paraffin lamp burning all night

Saturday, August 11th - Addo to Port Elizabeth

We were awoken by crows squawking at 7 am. Willhelm came and fixed the pilot light of the water heater. We dressed and walked down for breakfast - lots of
fruit and a full English breakfast. At 9 am we went for another ride and saw mongoose and monkeys close by but the elephants at a distance. It drizzled more. Since
it was very muddy the 2 cars were driven out by Donovan and Willhelm whilst the 6 of us were driven out in the Land Rover. The automatic BMW had to be towed
up one of the hills. After leaving the camp we stopped at a crocodile farm where Stephen stroked and played with three lion cubs. We ate venison pie for lunch.
'venison' is a term used in SA to describe any form of game so we do not know what we ate. We drove to PE and found The Kingfishers B&B run by an ex-pat -
Ken from Wolverhampton. We had a large well-equipped room and Stephen had a smaller one next door and next to a swimming pool. We went to the Boardwalk
and had a Chinese meal. On returning we played rummy again and went to bed at 9:30pm.

Sunday, August 12th - PE to Mtubatuba

We had breakfast at 7 am so that we would get to the airport for a 9 o'clock flight. The breakfast was delivered in a picnic basket and Stephen joined us. At the
airport we returned the blue 1.6 Toyota Corolla with a flat tyre and a slight scratch and covered in Addo mud alongside a mud-splattered BMW. The flight was not
till 9:50 so Ken had time to return Stephen's Billabong top to him as it was not to Ken's taste or size. We whiled away the time playing rummy and eating biltong.
The flight took off on time and we landed at Durban at 10:45. We all climbed into our bright red Opel Corsa and drove north on the N2 , stopping at the various toll
plazas, through fields of sugar cane and round house villages to Mtubatuba where we found 153 Celtis Drive with a large security gate and 5 dogs. We raced to St.
Lucia where we boarded a boat by the bridge and went looking for hippos and crocs. We saw many hippos huddled together in the middle of the lake which
appeared at a distance be a set of large grey pebbles. Some were wallowing in the mud at the end of an island. We saw one old croc basking in the sun on the bank
of the lake and many African fish eagles. On docking we were persuaded to buy 2 wooden rhinos for R20. We drove around St. Lucia and returned to the B&B. In
the evening we did not dine in style at the Hotel Paradiso opposite the B&B but the steaks were good and made up for the total lack of ambiance. We played more
rummy and went to bed at 9pm whilst Stephen slept on a mattress in the living/dining/kitchen area. We were staying in the self-catering apartment of the B&B.

Monday, August 13th - Mtubatuba to Hluhluwe( pronounced Shush sloo we)

We got up at 7 am and walked around the garden and its small lake. We ate the full English breakfast on the veranda, paid and left at 9 am. We drove up the N2 to
the Hluhluwe Information Centre who tried to book us into the Hilltop camp in the Hluhluwe game reserve and suggested we visit the model Zulu village at
Dumuzulu. We raced back down the N2 and were greeted at the gate by a Zulu who put on all his dance gear for us to take photos. We were in time to join others
for the 11 o'clock cultural tour with traditional buffet. About 10 round thatched huts surrounded a circular area and at each a Zulu demonstrated a different skill
(shield making, bead making, pottery, medicine, music). The Zulus sleep on mats with headrests. The married women wear hats woven into their hair and therefore
need the headrests to enable them to sleep. After the hut tour we sat on seats in the central area of the kraal and tasted the maize beer and watched a show of
dancing and singing performed by the demonstrators. After the show we ate the buffet and drove back to the Information Centre. The Hilltop was full so we opted
to stay in tents at the Falaza Game Park close to False Bay. We unloaded the luggage into the two tents, similar to those at Addo but less luxurious. We went for a
drive along the shores of the False bay and saw monkeys and duikers as well as fever trees. On returning to the park we played rummy and watched white rhinos
eating off the grass in front of the lounge area, about 20 feet away. After an excellent meal which included roast nyala we went for a night ride with Jan and a German
family. We saw wildebeest, nyala, bush babies and giraffe. We also learnt of the usefulness of the Murula tree for curing excema and the use of the Buffalo thorn for
transferring the spirit of the dead. We went to bed at 10:30.

Tuesday, August 14th - Hluhluwe to Ubombo

We got up at 7, had a good breakfast and raced to the Hluhluwe gate where we met Jordie who was to take us on a game ride. Jordie was not an ordinary jeep
jockey but very knowledgeable. We saw our first buffalo and zebra within the first 5 minutes. We saw elephants, white rhino, giraffes, nyalas, impala, wart hogs and
lots of birds. A 4 in rain spider climbed aboard but was chased off by Jordie. At 12:30 we left and headed on the N2 towards Swaziland. Jane phoned up a B&B in
the Portfolio and got a 2-bedroomed cottage at Ubombo close to the Bethesda hospital and Ghost Mountain. After lunchtime drinks under the pergola and a Zulu
history lesson from Dawn we were picked up by Chris and whisked off in a Land Rover for a 90 minute flight over the St. Lucia wetlands. The departure lounge
consisted of four plastic garden seats in a hangar housing 4 light planes. We took off in the 5-seater Maule normally used for flying doctors to outlying clinics and
patients to the hospital. We saw flamingos, pelicans, hippos reedboks and many other animals. Sometimes we flew as low as 200 feet over the long white beaches.
We flew over Lake Sibaiya, the largest natural freshwater lake in Africa, and Cosi Bay on the Mozambique border where the using stakes in an arc leading to a
heart shaped funnel and a circular area to catch fish. We landed on the narrow band of soil used as an airstrip at 1700 feet. In the evening David regaled us with the
history of David Bruce (specialist in Malta fever and malaria). We were joined the only other guest, Bheki, a Zulu educationalist from Peter Maritzburg. We ate
butter squash soup, chicken curry and mincemeat followed by pecan pie and lots of interesting discussions about Ubombo and SA people including the continuing
practice of labola whereby the man pays the father of his bride the equivalent value of 7, 11, 16 or 25 cows depending on the status of the families. Stephen fell
asleep in front of the television and we went to bed at 11pm.

Wednesday, August 15th - Ubombo to Mhlambanyatsi, Swaziland

After another full English breakfast with cucumber, a further discussion with Bheki, who is studying for his Ph.D. and an MBA, and another talk from Dawn on the
efficacy of the African potato for curing arthritis and various forms of cancer we packed up and loaded the car. We rejoined David and Dawn for a tour of Ubombo.
First stop was the general stores which is housed in a large wharehouse-style building and sells everything from boot polish to ploughshares, stamps to bleach and
foodstuffs but no biltong. Dawn then took us on a tour around the hospital which was clean and treats AIDS and TB cases as well as others. The X-ray machine
needs replacing but the children's ward has recently been redecorated using funds generated by Dawn's daughter who is a doctor practicing in Surrey. David then
took us to the magistrates court, where we were offered the chance to view the proceedings but declined. We entered the police station where Stephen handled an
AK47 rifle and we watched 3 suspected criminals, one in leg-irons, being put into the holding cells where they would be detained for up to 48 hours before going
before the court. We toured the 3-year old social services building and then visited the local priest who came from Michigan. He showed us around his church. Next
we visited the site of David Bruce's houses situated in a field where a dead donkey was decaying and the road runs at 1900 feet above sea-level a height above
which malaria-bearing mosquitoes cannot live. David Irons intends to reconstruct David Bruce's homes as a museum. We thanked Dawn and David, signed the
visitors book and departed for Swaziland. We arrived at the border at 1pm and completed forms on the SA side and the Swaziland side and paid R15 for
Swaziland road tax. A hoarding proclaimed that sugar cane is Swaziland's gold. Zulu style homesteads abounded and it appears to be a poorer place than SA. Many
people, cattle and goats walk or stand at the road side. We passed the King's motorcade on the way to Mbabane, the capital. We arrived at the Forester's Arm
Hotel, 25 km west of Mbabane at 4:30. We watch the television and played rummy. We had an excellent meal of calamari, lentil soup, kingclip, lamb, chicken
korma, apple strudel. We could have eaten more but we were full to bursting so we played more rummy and went to bed at 10:30.

Thursday, August 16th - Mhlambanyatsi to Nelspruit

AT 7:30 the maids brought us tea to our motel-style room which overlooked the swimming pool and surrounding forests. We wrote postcards and got up and had a
wonderful full English breakfast. Jane then booked the evening accommodation and booked Sunday and Monday at a private game reserve in the Kruger, all
accommodation in the actual park being full. We stopped at the Nygani glass factory where they use recycled glass to make animals and other glass objects. At the
exit we saw a sign to the old mine so we followed it up the hill to a gate house. The guard became our guide and jumped in the car. We drove up the hill, the second
highest in Swaziland and parked by a huge hole in the ground filled with water. Peterson explained that this was a disused iron-ore mine and then announced that we
would now go to the Lion's Cavern. We started to walk up the hill, higher and higher. Near the top Graham got worried as the path was getting narrower and the big
deep hole was getting smaller. We clambered up a set of rickety iron steps and down some more steps to the Lion's Cavern where in 43000 years BC they mined
ochre to use in cosmetics and for colouring hair and other things - truly amazing. We walked backed down and noticed that we were the only people for miles.
Peterson had said that he'd had several other parties that morning - at least 3 couples. It cost us the grand sum of R20 including a tip. We decided to take the long
route out of Swaziland so we could see more of the country so we drove through Pig's Peak. Many of the towns with Reef at the end of their name signify that gold
deposits were found there. At the border crossing we all got out and filled in exit forms for Swaziland and entry forms for SA. We had to present ourselves at the
customs office as we had a car. At Malalane we stopped at a Wimpy and had lunch. The town was verging towards a Western style street. We drove to Nelspruit
and to Jorn's Gasthaus - a wonderful, serene and quite place. Stephen had his own room quite a way from us but he is happy as he had a TV. We had a room
overlooking a rock pool. We had a room with a double bed, double bath, shower, toilet, TV, fridge with drinks and free chocolates. We could not eat there in the
evening because Margy was recovering from an injuring incurred by landing badly from a sky-dive. We ate at the Ocean Basket and had lots of fish - sole, mussels,
prawns, calamari, white bait and fried Houlomi (Greek cheese). We phoned the Shaws in Johannesburg and made arrangements to stay there for our last 2 nights in

Friday, August 17th - Nelspruit to Malalane

We had yet another full English breakfast and Jane phoned the rest camps in the Kruger but they were still all full. Margy recommended a friend's lodge called
Serenity at Malalane so we booked into it and arranged to have an all-day tour of the Kruger on Saturday. We left the B&B where Nelson Mandela had stayed
shortly after his release from Robben Island and where Nick Faldo had stayed earlier this year. We walked around the botanical gardens at Nelspruit where saw a
raffia palm, many of which we'd seen near Cosi Bay from on high. The raffia palm, according to a guide talking to a party of schoolchildren, has the longest leaves of
any plant in the world at up to 20 metres and takes 35 years to flower. After it has borne fruit it dies - stupid plant. Next we saw a mass of cycads and wandered
around the rest of the gardens to view a waterfall on the Nels River as it joined the Crocodile River. We walked through the rain forest which had sprinklers 25
metres tall. Next stop was the Malalane Gate to the Kruger. We drove at 50 kph on the tar roads and 40 kph on the dirt roads up to Skukusa. With the trees not in
leaf it was easy to see giraffes, zebras, wart hogs, lots of impalas and many pretty birds. At Skukusa we stopped to replenish our supplies of drinks and biltong as
well as to buy another map of the Kruger with pictures of its fauna. On the way to the Crocodile Bridge gate we saw an impala carcass in a tree and Stephen saw a
leopard, yet to be verified by photographic evidence. We also saw monkeys, baboons and hippos. At Malalane we turned onto a dirt track and tried to get to the
lodge before dark. Stephen said Graham was an older version of Colin Macrae, the rally driver as we leapt over bumps in the 12 km dirt track. We arrived at
Serenity just as darkness closed in. We were shown to our large rondeval-style chalet with canvas and zip windows, double bed and zebra skin rug, settee and
armchair, TV, fridge with drinks and free chocolates, cakes and fruit. The bathroom had a double bath and a shower as well as his and hers basins. It was a
well-appointed chalet. Stephen's was similar. Just after 7pm we joined the other guests on the balcony around an open fire and chatted with Gavin's parents and
friends. The evening meal consisted of cream of chicken soup, lamb and beef followed by a spongy cake all washed down with a bottle of pinotage. We chatted
more and went to bed at 10:30.

Saturday, August 18th


fish filletfish fillet

Great place to tee offGreat place to tee off

Joe and I on the deck at SiroccoJoe and I on the deck at Sirocco

Natures ValleyNatures Valley

Travel Tips for Knysna

Knysna - On the Garden Route

by kentishgirl

We stayed in Knysna for a few days, I was not too fond of this town to be honest. For starters we actually wanted to stay further down the road in Plett Bay, but all the backpackers were booked out there and so we stayed in Knysna.

I will try not to be too harsh here ok - but to me Knysna was a small town, on a worn out, over touristed route dubbed "the Garden Route", the town centre was so small, and there was so much traffic that it became hard to breath!

We were lucky, the backpackers was great and we could chill there for awhile.


Popular Hotels in Knysna

Kanonkop Guest House

Hotel Class 5 out of 5 stars 1 Review

6 Cuthbert Street, Kanonkop, Knysna

Show Prices

Knysna Quays Protea Hotel

Hotel Class 3 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

Waterfront Drive, P. O. Box 2710, Knysna

Show Prices

Conrad Pezula

Hotel Class 5 out of 5 stars 1 Review

Lagoonview Drive, Pezula Estate, Knysna

Show Prices

The Russel Hotel

1 Review

Graham Street, Knysna

Show Prices

View all Knysna hotels

View all Knysna hotels

Latest Knysna hotel reviews

Knysna Quays Protea Hotel
296 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2014
Knysna River Club
64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 14, 2014
Buffalo Bay Backpackers
8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2011
The Russel Hotel
46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2014
Pumula Lodge
72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2014
Knysna Manor House
128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2014
Overmeer Guest House
50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2014
Knysna Backpackers
36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 7, 2014
Conrad Pezula
218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2014
Elephant Hide Of Knysna Guest Lodge
179 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 19, 2014
Knysna Terrace
41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
Kanonkop Guest House
152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 15, 2014

 The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve

We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:

Phantom Forest Eco Reserve Knysna
The Phantom Forest Eco-reserve Hotel Knysna

Address: Phantom Pass Knysna 6552, Knysna, 6570, South Africa