Karoo Soul Backpackers, Cottages and Adventures

More about Oudtshoorn

A cheetah at the Cango Wildlife ranchA cheetah at the Cango Wildlife ranch

White Tiger CubsWhite Tiger Cubs

Ostrich FarmOstrich Farm

An ostrich sees to her eggs.An ostrich sees to her eggs.

Mohair wool

by pennykotze

I would like to know if I can buy mohair wool at the Angora farm.

Re: Mohair wool

by cleocat

They have products made from mohair. Can't remember seeing wool though.
I thought they had a webpage but I can't find one. I'm sure if you contact Oudtshooorn tourism they will be able to give you a contact number for the farm.

Travel Tips for Oudtshoorn

Some facts about an ostrich:

by Alain_Smeets

Something you always wanted to know about an ostrich but where afraid to ask:

* Males have black and females grey feathers.
* The males sit during the night on the eggs and the female during the day.
* The brood time for an egg is 42 days.
* An Ostrich lays approximately 12 eggs.
* One egg weighs 1,5 kilo.
* It takes about 1,5 hour to hard-boil an egg.
* The world record to eat a hardboiled egg is 6 minutes and 40 seconds (1985/1986).
* An ostrich egg contains 24 chicken eggs.
* The stomach of an ostrich contains about 1,5 kilo stones. These help the degusting of the food.
* Each year one can gather 1,5 kilo of ostrich feathers.
* A grownup ostrich weighs about 100 kilo.
* An ostrich skin is recognizable by the feather markings on the surface.
* An ostrich can hold a speed of 80 km/h over a short distance.

Take a tour: ride an ostrich or watch an race

by Alain_Smeets

In Highgate and I guess also in the other ostrich farms, you can sit on an ostrich but you can also ride this big bird. I didn’t try to ride one, I just sat on one. Why? Well I even don’t like horses that much so why an ostrich. But it can be great fun I guess.

Instead we watched an ostrich race, we had to pick our favourite to win and sheer him on, but when only 10 or 15 people are standing there, the sheering is at a minimum and my favourite turned around in the middle of the race. He can be the next steak on my plate –lol- and it made me also happy not to ride that big bird.

The race is the end of the excellent guided tour.

Cango Caves - Bridal Chamber

by mvtouring

After visiting Botha's hall and climbinb a flight of steps you reach the Bridal Chamber. Known by this name due to its fourteen-post bridal bed. The bride may be spotted in the kitchen to the rear, sitting on a low stool and weeping quietly to herself. A clue to her tears may be found in the Peach Brandy Bottle, prominently displayed on a rock mantlepiece. Active stalactites drip constantly from the low roof above

Cango Wildlife ranch

by cleocat

From a raised walkway, the Catwalk, you will see cheetah, lion, puma, jaguar and the white Bengal tigers in action. You'll discover their habits and find out fascinating facts about these noble creatures.

There are also snakes, hippos and crocodiles.

A nice trip for a few hours or a day depending on how much time you have. We spend about 2 - 3 hours and found it enough.

Oudtshoorn - S. Africa

by chizz

"Oudtshoorn - S. Africa"

Oudtshoorn was one of my favourite places to visit along the garden route as I was eager to visit one of the ostrich farms and see the workers racing these giant birds and learn all about them. We finally settled on Highgate Ostrich Farm where our guide took us on a tour and we learned about the birds, their eggs, what their feathers are used to make and saw the ostrich races at the end. I was sad to learn that I could not ride one of the birds as I was too heavy, but did have a photo sitting on one! Did you know that it takes 1 and a half hours to hard boil an ostrich egg??? and that 1 ostrich egg is equivalent to 24 chickens eggs!!!
We also visited the nearby Cango Caves too which were quite impressive and stayed at a local backpacker hostel. Our evening meal was at the Spur Steakhouse which was a favourite of ours while in SA as it was cheap and cheerful!

Comments