Palace Hotel, Sun City, Sun City, 316, South Africa

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Palace

Lost City Palace has lost its luster

by TripAdvisor Member MytravelsNY

The Palace of the Lost City is a three-star hotel masquerading as a five-star hotel. Although the scenery and pools surrounding the hotel are dramatic, and the breakfast is good, we experienced significant problems during our stay and would be very reluctant to go back. First, the furnishings at the hotel have lost their luster, the rugs are faded, the bed covers and drapes are old. Second, we requested a family room and were placed right at the back of the property with no view, a ten-minute walk to and from the lobby, noisy crickets which kept us awake all night, and an unsafe feeling in a remote location. Third, there were infrastructure problems like the leaky shower, the costly Internet service which took our money but failed to send our e-mails, and the broken TV which could not be resolved by the hotel staff. To make matters worse, some family members contracted an intestinal virus from the hotel food which lingered for weeks. We found the management indifferent, rude and incompetent. For $750 a night, you can do much better. This place should be removed from the Leading hotels of the world, unless it leads in exploiting naive tourists by taking their money and giving them sub-standard service in return.

An over-rated hotel with some issues

by TripAdvisor Member motutoopua

The hotel and its surroundings seeems more reminiscent of an amusement park. Everything was on a grand scale but nothing really impressive about this property. The rooms were dull and dark, and needed a lot of cheering up. The most surprising incident during this stay happened in the public restroom (men's)off from the main lobby. It was late at night and needed to use the restrooms. Upon entering, I noticed a hotel staff standing there (not sure if he was the bathroom attendent or just a staff who wasn't supposed to be there). In any case, as I finished and just about to leave he approached me and mentioned that he makes very little wages from the hotel. As I smiled and tried to get past him, he threateningly blocked himself against the door and explained (albeit politely) that he could use a little help for new shoes and the bus fare home. I did not have any change on me at the moment and was a bit disturbed. I explained to him that I did not have anything on me but I will be happy to spare some change when I see him the next day. He thanked me and then 'allowed' me to leave. I quickly made my way out and back to my room. Although I should have reported this bizarre incident to management, I did not but do feel that this sort of occurence should not happen at a hotel like this. Overall, a so-so visit, with nothing to write home about.

by TripAdvisor Member edmanchester

This is a stunning hotel set in a tourist resort next to the Pilanesburg National Park. It is classed as one of the leading hotels of the world and as a seasoned traveller i can see why.
On arrival you are met by pleasant staff and pass a majestic fountain with staues of african animals and after that you enter the reception area, a large dome, with impressive architecture and flower displays.
Architecturally it takes the breath away. Everything down to the lamp stands ,light fittings and chairs have an african feel and the large statues, both in stone and bronze are great. Despite the 'well healed clientel' you saw many with cameras and video cameras taking in the surroundings.
The room was very comfortable and large with a great turndown service, professionally done. The views from the room were exceptional, looking down over the pool and restaurant with a great vista overlooking sun city and lakes. There are no coffee making facilities in the room but the room service coffee and tea is reasonably priced.
The staff are very friendly and efficient. Do take advantage of the free shuttle service provided by the palace to get around Sun City. The palace seems to be at the top of the pecking oder at Sun City and they aim to make you feel special indeed. I found that the staff would do anything for us and treating them with courtesy and respect paid dividends.
The restaurant has excellent quality food and wines and, as it was my birthday, without any prompting brought a cake and sang happy birthday in 4 languages (african of course). For two of us the meal cost about 1200 rand, about £85 for food and drink. The waiters were excellent and the welcome team of the restaurant were great.
The pool is excellent with good poolside service, and very refreshing on a hot day. The most seasoned swimmers will find its size excellent.
The rest of Sun City has Casinos and the Valley Of The Waves which is alot of fun to explore. The show 'Let It Rock' or something like that.. was awful, causing many to walk out.. The acting was bad, the singing average and that guitar solo in the middle.....
One area which did not meet expectations was the Game Drive. Not the hotels fault but all game drives are done centrally. Booking the normal game drive you are on the back of a wagon with 16 other people and it can be difficult to see whats going on and youre fellow travellers might not be the quietest bunch in the world.... The worst offenders being sun city staff themselves who only have Sun City itself as their playground in their time off i guess. I would advise, although more costly, to get a private game drive with just your group. A much more authentic experience and, to be honest, the most important for me in choosing the Palace as it was next to the National Park.
The Palace itself was excellent and i find it hard not to keep using superlatives in describing it, but you'll just have to explore the rest of Sun City and see what you like, but do seriously consider a private game drive if your a wild animal lover like myself... Note the best time for game drives is early morning and the evening as this is when the animals are at their most active.

Good but could of been better

by TripAdvisor Member calendergirl

The hotel is set in magnificent grounds and the building is fantastic. We had two rooms on the ground floor, the furnishings were lovely but the rooms were in very noisy positions. We could her the staff laughing and speaking all through the night. The staff were very helpfull but not trained very well. One member of staff would say a request was 'impossible' whilst another would say it was 'no problem'!
The game drive at the national park next to the hotel was excellent.

It's about having fun!

by TripAdvisor Member luv-2-b-on-holiday

I went to this hotel with a group of 6 friends. This is the best way to enjoy both the hotel and the Sun City resort as a whole. Its not really a romantic destination to honeymoon but if you go there expecting fun in good surroundings then you will not be disappointed.

The hotel itself is huge and a bit over the top but it has everything you would want in terms of bars, restaurants, pool etc etc.

The Italian restaurant is superb but quiet - definitely explore all the other restaurants located in each of the hotels. Santorini was an informal, lively seafood restaurant that was always very busy.

Breakfast at the Palace is fantastic. From roast gammon, to stir fry prawns, to sushi, eggs benedict, pastries - you name it they have it all in order to satisfy the taste buds from every corner of the globe! BUT it is busy. For £10 you can eat breakfast there whilst actually staying at the other hotels so there are lots of visitors which makes it all a bit hectic.

The pool is large and very nice. Never really seemed to be that busy and you also have the roman bath pool to use which is just a few minutes walk towards the main resort, the man made beach and the water slides - again these were good fun.

My only criticism of the pool area is that the sun loungers are all bunched together to one side of the pool and are on grass that has been worn down and so can get a bit muddy.

Alongside the pool area is an outdoor resteraunt. Great food but was sometimes frequented by groups of business men which isnt so great when you are sat around in your swimming clothes.

There is a certain amount of evening entertainment - casino, bar, nightclub etc which is good but not great.

All in all I would go back to The Palace as it was a lot of fun and there was nothing to complain about. Large groups of people would find it an ideal destination.

Pure Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member supertastic

I stayed here with my husband for two whole weeks of complete luxury. A lot of people mentioned that we might be bored staying for this length of time but we had one of our best holidays ever. The hotel was virtually empty when we stayed which made it feel like we were staying in our very own private palace. We always stay in five star hotels but I can safely say this place has an added dimension. Everything was fabulous from the room, pool area, the dining rooms and bars. We had an exquisite meal every night followed by martini cocktails in the african themed lounge bar. We also noted that while it is certainly not cheap - coming from the UK we were not overly shocked by the prices either - a really good bottle of wine was £30 - cheaper than many good UK hotels. The water park is a great day out and right on the doorstep. We found the casinos in the main resort a bit boring and everytime we ventured out to the other hotels we decided to go back to our own wonderful palace. The golf and spa facilites are second to none. We also took a days safari to Pilansburg for £20! We spotted the "Big Five" with no problem - which is better than many very expensive safari trips I have seen.

Stunning hotel but too much of a good thing.

by TripAdvisor Member Chatterbox1169

We started our holiday with 2 nights here as we'd got married there 3 years ago but stayed at the Sun City and Casino hotel (couldn't afford The Palace).

The location, facilities and ambiance is absolutely stunning. Our rooms were amazing and huge with a wonderful bathroom. The section we were in had monkeys outside in the trees and so we had to keep our doors shut to stop them invading. This added to the stay though as it is Africa after all.

It's nice to be a resident as you can access the Water Park directly from the hotel for free. Guests from the other hotels are only allowed to come into The Palace if they are dining or on a tour. Therefore it's the quietest, most relaxing of the hotels in Sun City.

As it was their winter the temp was about 20-21 which was warm for us considering we'd had rain for weeks before we left. The other guests and staff were dressed for winter though and many had heaters at their tables for breakfast and dinner. They looked at us like we were freaks because we weren't wearing jumpers!

The staff are attentive but can be a bit too 'around' especially by the pool where they are waiting to serve and then get a tip! However, once you talk to them, they are friendly and talkative.

Super Short Stay

by TripAdvisor Member PaulK007

Super hotel. 5 star all round - and without the usual 'pomp' that this sometimes mean. Staff were usually first class - very attentive from start to finish, polite, friendly and couldn't be faulted.

Room was great - although I'd mirror comments about not really being able to sit on the balcony or use it due to the monkeys. I accept I am really invading their home though!

Minor niggles - the water in the pools was freezing! I know, very minor but so cold! The water slides were good fun in the Valley of the Waves.

We went on a early morning and a night time safari drive - the game park was literally 5 minutes round the corner. We saw a good collection overall - but this is of course all luck of the draw what you'll see. Value for money couldn't be faulted - but might be helped by a strong exchange rate.

Also went clay pigeon shooting - good fun especially as it was just two of us that morning. Again, very good instruction - shame my execution wasn't!!

Went to see the Rock show in the entertainment complex - for the money (circa £8) couldn't complain.

Even though this is the winter in South Africa, weather was spot on - about 20-25C. Hotel did seem very quiet at times - but I didn't really find that an issue.

On the resort there are a mix of things to do - the casino, hosts of different safaris, obviously the 2 golf courses and a collection of other bits and pieces. Didn't get round to all of them in the 3 days there.

Food prices good for the quality - there is everything from 'fine dining' to the usual fast food options.

Would I go back? Yes - but next time I'll know it's a near 3hr transfer from Jo'burg airport.

Overall, hard to think of any reason to suggest why you shouldn't stay at the Palace.

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member GG32

We stayed here for just over a week and I can honestly say that I couldn't fault the place. Staff were very friendly, the hotel and its surroundings are beautiful. One of the other reviews mentions that they couldn't enjoy the view from their balconey because of the monkies..which I think is a little silly as you could, you just cant leave the balconey with the door open and walk away. But what do people expect your in Africa and in the bush!

I've stayed in some great places throughout the world but my stay here really topped everywhere else. I suppose its like anywhere its the people and the fun you have that make the place. We had great fun with each other and the staff, my only complaint is that some of the other guests were were pure snobs, they rude to staff and looked down on everyone. But I suppose once you can ignore them you'll have no problems.

The Palace

by Audrey118

"The Palace, Lost City"

The Palace is set in the stark ruggedness of the Pilanesberg region of South Africa. It is surrounded by mountains and bushveld taking up as much as 25 ha of jungle with over 1.5 mln plants, trees and shrubs.
The jungle is threaded with paths meandering past cascades and waterfalls, lakes and pools and a variety of water-borne adventure rides.

The Palace is based on a legendary lost civilization, really huge and you can actually get lost roaming around the enitre resort. Rooms are designated according to different wings such as Elephant wings etc

There are huge edifice of soaring columns, intricate mosaics and animal sculptures everywhere. But the entrance with this huge paintings on the ceiling is my all time favourite

The Palace has more than 300 rooms and suites, and each room has either wonderful views over water or jungle. The rooms are furnished to complment the environment. Most are wood with very intricate handcarved furnishings of African flowers and leaves and animals.
Each residents of the Palace are given a Resident Card which is needed to be carried around for entrance purpose.

"Activities"

The picture is from a postcard. The Roaring Lagoon of the Lost City. This is the incredible Valley of Waves, one of the worlds most amazing water-theme parks, and waterworld, where you can jet ski, windsurfing, water skiing and a huge range of other water sports.

Other activities would be going to another resort at Sun City which offers 24 hour fun and entertainment, with great gaming on tables and slots, shows with international superstars - you know the typical big casinos places which has shops for the winners, and big restaurants, and also life entertainments for the wives and children not interested in gambling.

There is two famous golf courses; the famous Gary Player golf course, home to the internationally prestigious Nedbank Million Dollar Golf Challenge, and the desert-style Lost City golf course with crocodiles at the 13th hole!!!

Within the Palace there is lots of loung-ing area such as the poolside or the gracious Tusk Bar (complete decor of huge tusks arching around). Our breakfast was buffet at the splendour Crystal Court which to me should be called Elephant Court as there is a huge fountains surrounded by Elephants. And you can also dine Italian at Villa del Palazzo - it was very romantic there!!!

Comments