Dar es Salaam Hotels

• jontalarico1 profile photo jontalarico1
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn: Avoid At All Cost - Hotel Employee Broke into safe

Hotel employee was caught on video tape entering into my room and breaking into my safe and stealing 2600 GBPounds.

The hotel manager Mahesh refused to let me review the security tape and I was forced to bring in the local police. Only after that did he let us see the tape which showed the hotel employee clearly entering my room, the police and the empty safe you can see for yourself.

the manager Mahesh asked me to take down my other reviews on tripadvisor and said he would personally give me back the money. That was clearly a stall tactic as he knew I was checking out tomorrow and refuses now to do anything.

Stay here at your own risk.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written October 27, 2013
Tip Photo

Hotel Employee breaking into my room

• Penelope4 profile photo Penelope4
  • Reviews: 461

Mediterraneo Hotel and Restaurant: Apartment with a great view of Indian Ocean

I was welcomed by a driver known by the manager of the hotel. His name is Agril - my first Tanzanian acquaintance. English not so good but the reliability and patience of this man is remarkable. The trip from the airport to the hotel costs US$ 25.

I was greeted by a Masai-dressed Tanzanian who carried my luggage and the check-in was swiftly done by a kind Receptionist. My room/apartment has a view to the ocean and garden. The balcony is nice indeed - I listened to my music and read magazine in here while waiting for dinner time. The room has electric fan, air-conditioning unit and a mosquito net. My bathroom has a bathtub and is quite spacious. Two bottled water are provided everyday in the room. The soap and shampoo are put nicely in a seashell. Really cute. Warm water is available.

The path to the restaurant is very charming. The waiters are very attentive (although it takes time for them to serve everything - but then - there's no hurry in Tanzania). Once you sit there overlooking the Indian Ocean, you wouldn't mind to wait (unless of course you need to sleep early).

The hotel has a great cook(s) because the cuisine is impeccable.

The Manager, Valeria, made an effort to say hello and chat a bit inspite of her hectic routine.

As of February 2010,

Sea Side
Double room BB@ 125 Usd/night
Single Room BB@ 95 Usd/night

Garden Side
Double room BB@ 115 Usd/night
Single Room BB@ 85 Usd /night

The swimming pool is immaculately blue. You will lose your breath when you stare at it, at the sky and at the ocean.

I enjoyed my refreshing drinks while sitting in their comfortable chairs/lounge beside the hotel.

Sitting at my veranda was very relaxing after a long day. The garden is very nice and the ocean view never failed to enchant me. Free wireless Internet is provided inside the rooms and in the lounge area.

The room was kept clean all the time.

When I look back, I think I liked the friendliness of the staff there and the view to the ocean kind of made my stay unforgettable....

• Written February 11, 2010

My apartment number

• georeiser profile photo georeiser
  • Reviews: 2054

Regency Park Hotel: Regency Park Hotel

Regency Park Hotel is a good hotel with large rooms and a swimming pool. The staff is friendly.
I decided to stay here after another recommendation from Virtualtourist. "Fedzo" stayed here in 2007, and a photo with the ocean in the background looked very attractive. When I arrived I thought the hotel was too far away from the city centre, and I couldn't see the ocean. But I found out later that this area was close to other interesting places. And the ocean was just behind some other houses.

A weird thing about this hotel is the definition of what is a single room and what is a double room. Take a look at one of my photos. A singelroom has two separated beds at the price of 50 USD (2008). A double room has one big bed at the price of 75 USD (2008). The rooms have the same size.

Don't order a pizza from the restaurant, but try fried chicken instead. The food and drink is not too expensive.

If you start Google Earth on your computer, and select to show "roads", you will see the "Old Bagamayo Road". You will see how close it is to the ocean, and you will have an opinion on where you are. I walked from the hotel, and took a shortcut from Old Bagamayo Road towards the Msasani area. I went through a labyrinth of small houses and very narrow streets. It looked like a slum area. But the local people were curious and friendly. But make sure you have the right direction, or else you will get lost.

• Related to: Safari, Beaches, Adventure Travel
  • Written December 13, 2008

Regency Park Hotel

• Fedzo profile photo Fedzo
  • Reviews: 63

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Regency Park: Firendly hotel in Micocheni

I stayed there for almost three week. first thing to comment about is the staff, they couldn't be anymore friendly. with lost luggage on my first day, they did everything to help me. the hotel has amazing view of the ocean, espcially in rooms of the 3rd floor. Rooms are spacious clean and tidy. there is a small pool. the hotel is not far from Msasani area where all the nice bars restaurants and clubs are. one drawback, the breakfast is rather poor and sometimes weird (consider having spaghetti and fries for breakfast). All in all, great price/value. Recommended

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written November 29, 2007

view from my room

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Local Expatriate housing: With a fellow 'Volunteer'

With our group of 110 volunteers having spread out and joined those from previous years who had also been posted to Tanzania, Kenya, Malawi and Zambia, it was common practise when roaming around to stay with your 'contacts'. It not only made for a very handy accommodations network, but also allowed you to benefit from catching up on the news of friends as well as having an expert local guide at no cost. Of course, you were expected to return the favour in your home town. When I returned to Dar es Salaam in October/November, 1973 on my long trip to Tanzania and Kenya, I linked up with one of the guys from my group, along with an Austrian chap, Josef, who I had met on the bus trip into the country from the Zambian border.

These houses were solidly built of materials that termites could not eat, had high ceilings for heat dissipation and usually 'burglar bars' on all the windows. They also usually were located in nicely treed grounds such as the one shown here as Josef steps outside for a look around. Inside was the usual furniture and basic items such as stove, refrigerator, washing machine, shower, nice bedrooms and so on. The thing that I remember as being noticeably different from my flat in Luanshya, Zambia was that the occupants of this house had to have water-filled cans around the legs of all bureaus that held food items - to keep the ants at bay!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Road Trip, Beaches
  • Written March 19, 2007

Typical East/Central African 'expatriate' house

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

Unknown: First lodgings in Africa

It was 10 PM local time when we finally landed in Dar es Salaam - after a direct charter-flight from Toronto, Canada. We were all very jet-lagged (see my Transportation tips) and it was dark, so I have no idea where we actually spent our two nights in the city. However, this photo shows some of the tropical huts where our group of volunteers spent our first nights in Africa. The thatched roof buildings and surrounding palm trees still look good to me!

I remember being struck by the sweet and beautiful smell of African vegetation after disembarking from our flight - it was so strong that it hit like a wave! It was only later that I was able to determine that it was due to Frangipani blossoms, after coming across them in later African travels. The second photo shows my (later) wife Sue beside a Frangipani tree just outside Kruger National Park in South Africa during our 1995 trip there. Although now thriving in all tropical areas of the world, they have all been transplanted from their original home in the area of Mexico, Central America and Venezuela. In my jet & culture-lagged condition, the only other thing I remember about these accommodations is that we slept beneath mosquito nets - something I had never done before and only very rarely since in my 6-years of tropical living in Africa and Papua New Guinea.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beaches, Business Travel
  • Written March 19, 2007

Where I spent my first night in Africa

Beachcomber resort: Beachcomber resort

The pool.
A good spot to sit by and relax in the evenings after a hectic days shoot.
The Indian ocean is a stones throw away and you get a nice ocean breeze sitting by the pool...

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel

the pool

Beachcomber Resort: Beachcomber Resort

My room at the Beachcomber. All the rooms are airconditioned.
There was a good view of the pool and then the Indian ocean beyond that...

• Related to: Beaches, Luxury Travel, Business Travel

Beachcomber room

Beachcomber resort: Beachcomber resort

Beachcomber resort is approximate 30 min drive from the city centre, but then its got a good deal of space and nice views.
The rooms are cozy, and there is a pool which is right next to the sand and the sea...
There is a decent restaurant, which offers buffet breakfast every morning, and there are two computers for internet access.
The hotel has 32 rooms and 4 suites.

A pool which is right next to the Indian ocean, and a gymnasium.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel

the pool

• Maeve_81 profile photo Maeve_81
  • Reviews: 216

Mikadi Beach Campsite: Mikadi Beach Campsite

It's located in Kigamboni (the southern beaches of Dar es Salaam).

I had an excellent stay here!

You can pitch your tent (Tsh 2000) or rent a beach banda (Tsh 12 000) with shared facilities (clean toilets, hot showers).

There is a pool and the beach offcourse, and they have got an excellent bar with great cushions to lie down and a pool table.

All day and night the campsite is guarded. The guards even keep an eye on you when you're on the beach => it's forbidden to go further than the campsite's property!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written September 23, 2004

Mikadi Beach Campsite - Kigamboni - Tanzania

• skatzcatz profile photo skatzcatz
  • Reviews: 634

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jambo Inn: Cheap place in Dar

relatively cheap and as friendly as any other place i found jambo Inn handy to the shops and a nice place to stay.

Can't actually remember where it is as i got lost after getting off the bus but i'll look in a book and find it one day (28/5/2004).

price for a double room was 10000tsh per night.

PO Box 5588 Dar Es Salaam Tanzania

Restaurant downstairs, mosquito nets in rooms, hot water if your lucky.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2004

• lugano240680 profile photo lugano240680
  • Reviews: 1

best in show pub & rastaurant: tanzania's best pub

This will be basicly be a pub and restaurant. The special thing about this unique pub will be, first the designing . i want it to be special for the tourists and as well as the local people . The pub will basicly be of the european style, i can say mostly english. i want first to start as a pub only and then in future developing to a restaurant.
i want to put a place where live music will be played, charoke machine and thing like pool tables darts, and wide sreen television and other things are very important.
i will put space for children and put things like toys, video games and selling variety choices of ice cream.

great view is important, the location of the pub will be bit outside city like mbezi beach.
Dar es salaam is very hot i want somewhere so relaxing.
The european pub style,is unique in Tanzania.

• Related to: Theme Park Trips, Cruise, Beer Tasting
  • Written June 3, 2003

• titti profile photo titti
  • Reviews: 221

ECONOLODGE:...

ECONOLODGE: “economical-comfortable accommodation” in Band Street (a side road of Libya St) in the city centre. Friendly Indian staff and atmosphere: Christmas tree, jingle bells and people wishing you “Merry Christmas”. (I went to Tanzania in order to escape from the Christmas atmosphere!).
In the pic a local bathroom ... another story, very nice people...

• Opinion of Price: