Mfumbwi, Jambiani, 4123, Tanzania
Agoda.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Coral Rock Hotel

ON THE ROCKS

by DAO about PAKACHI BEACH HOTEL

Pakachi means border in local Jambiani / Paje dialect. This is the first location you come to when you arrive in Jambiani. It is owned by Mr. Saleh Hamza and has friendly staff. The bar and restaurant are built on a large coral rock and has a fantastic view of the beach and the Indian Ocean. You can drink and eat and really enjoy the natural beauty of Jambiani.

The beach really starts here and extends for 3 miles to the south.

The restaurant offers a wide range of freshly made food and everything on the menu is available, even during the rainy season. It is an excellent place to eat in the evening. The food is fresh, delicious and well priced. The bar is well stocked and the beer is served ice cold. Even if you do not stay here, have at least one meal here. It is a great experience. The hotel rooms are in gardens on the opposite side of the road.

Excursions and transfers can be arranged by the hotel.

*** OPEN DURING THE RAINY SEASON ***

Opening hours: Restaurant - 07:30 to 22:00, Bar - 24 hours a day!

DINNER ON THE ROCKS - ZANZIBAR

by DAO about PAKACHI BEACH HOTEL

Pakachi means border in the local Jambiani / Paje dialect. This is the first location you come to when you arrive in Jambiani on the beautiful east coast of Zanzibar. It is owned by Mr. Saleh Hamza and has friendly staff. The bar and restaurant are built on a large coral rock and has a fantastic view of the beach and the Indian Ocean. You can drink and eat and really enjoy the natural beauty of Jambiani.

The beach really starts here and extends for 3 miles to the south.

The restaurant offers a wide range of freshly made food and everything on the menu is available, even during the rainy season. It is an excellent place to eat in the evening and enjoy a drink while watching the fabulous sunsets. The food is fresh, delicious and well priced. Their menu varies between steaks, chicken dishes, pasta, pizza and of course, fish. The bar is well stocked and the beer is served ice cold. Even if you do not stay here, have at least one meal here. It is a great experience.

The hotel has rooms set in lush gardens on the opposite side of the road.

*** OPEN DURING THE RAINY SEASON ***

Opening hours: Restaurant - 07:30 to 22:00, Bar - 24 hours a day !!!

What a Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member flanners4

Coral Rock was just the place I was looking for! After a number of weeks traveling around Africa, Coral Rock was the perfect place to relax and recharge the batteries.

The facilities were simple yet clean and the rooms all have air con which is a must during the more humid months. The overflowing pool is a huge win and the bar/restaurant area is situated right on the coral cliffs 2-3m above the ocean making it the ideal place to have a drink or just relax and read a book.

If you are heading to Zanzibar and you are not looking to stay in the 5 star resort I would urge you to visit Coral Rock as the value you get for your money is unbelievable!

Sean

A Little Bit of Heaven.....

by TripAdvisor Member GillDavis

My husband and I have recently returned from spending an incredible4 days at Coral Rock. Coral Rock is not a 5-star establishment thank goodness, as if it was one would not have the experience that goes with the natural, rustic island flavour of this little gem. We were looking for a place to just chill and unwind and that's what Coral Rock is about - beautiful beaches, a stunning constantly changing sea, a magnificent dining area and bar built on top of a coral outcrop, a great infinity pool to cool off in, a clean room with aircon and fridge, wholesome food, magnificent fresh fruit juices laced with ginger and most of all wonderful staff who make you wonder why we city slickers get so wound up about time schedules - time stands still at Coral Rock - we can't wait to go back. Thank you Neil and your amazing staff for sharing this beautiful place with us.

Gill & John Davis, South Africa.

Unforgettable

by TripAdvisor Member Austin1Graz

Coral Rock Hotel Zanzibar

Last August my husband and I spent 15 days of our Tanzania-holiday in the Coral Rock Hotel in Jambiani, Zanzibar.
We came late in the evening and we loved the place from the first moment. It was one of the coolest and most romantic places we have ever been to. The hotel is situated on a rock direct above the wonderful sand beach of the Jambiani village in the south eastern side of the island. It is completely embedded in the nature and in the Jambiani village. The rooms are simple and clean and are decorated in a typical Zanzibari style. The hotel restaurant - the Rocky Bar - is situated on a terrace directly above the sea, offering a fabulous view to the changing see. Both rooms and the restaurant are decorated individually with paintings and handcrafts of the local artist. The local food - served in different variations - was fabulous. Either if you want to enjoy the freshness and the variety of the local fruits served for breakfast and in fresh juices, or the fresh fish served for dinner, this is the place you can get it. The hotel owner and the personnel are extraordinary friendly, forthcoming and professional, trying to fulfil every wish of their guests.
During the day you can relax at the swimming pool, enjoy in the shadow of the pepper and papaya trees in the hotel area, go for swimming or walk along the beach, or choose among the various tours that are organized by the hotel. During our 15 days stay we made almost every tour, but if you stay just for few days don’t miss snorkelling and fishing with Captain Chicken, the best sailor of the island. In the evening you chill out sitting beside the fire and drinking perfect mixed cocktails, listening to the sound of drums, playing “bao” or dancing with local people.

If you expect even in your holidays a perfect organised day with huge buffets and a group of professional entertainers, you should better go to a five star club hotel, where you have almost no contact to the local people. But if you go for holiday because you want to relax from your everyday life, to experience something new, to enjoy the nature and the local culture, if you want to experience Zanzibar as it realy is without abstaining from any comfort, than is the Coral Rock hotel the right place to stay in.

Many thanks again to the whole Coral Rock crew for the hospitality and for making our holidays so pleasant and unforgettable.

Your Austrians

Just what I needed after Safari!

by TripAdvisor Member vixenate

had a wonderful time staying at the Coral Rock Hotel in Jambiani.
The staff were super, very friendly and helpful.
The room I had was fantastic, very spacious and I just love the Zanzibar beds. The AirCondtioning worked fantastic. And the room was kept very tidy.
I love the infinity pool and the fact that it was lit at night was a great bonus.
The food I ate at the hotel was good, and offered good value.
I did go on the Cultural village tour and enjoyed the knowledge that acquired through this experience.
I also did go on a snorkelling/sailing tour one morning and that was a great time. Thanks Mr Chicken!!!
I would definately recommend your hotel to any of my clients without hesitation. Excellent value and great facilities.
Thank you for making my Zanzibar experience complete!

Awesome place - great people

by TripAdvisor Member BB25478

Coral Rock is an awesome place to chill out especially after finishing an East Africa safari. Away from the hassles of Stonetown, relaxing by the pool sipping cocktails. Fantastic bar, restaurant and staff. Very helpful with organising personal tours to Jozani Forest and diving at the nearby Easy Blue Divers at the Blue Oyster. Nothing was ever too difficult.

Give it a chance

by TripAdvisor Member LondonFace

Admittedly when i first arrived at the hotel i was a little disappointed, mostly due to the fact renovation work was being done that we had been unaware of. The rooms and bathrooms were a little shabby but very comfortable and had everything we needed.
Once we had been there a day and had relaxed i have to say i really started to love the place. It's simple and charming and the staff whilst laid back are very helpful and friendly.
We did two boat trips which were incredible and well-priced. The food was fresh and simple and the views from the pool are amazing despite the tide being so far out for quite a few hours in the day.
All in all don't go expecting a swich fancy resort, but if you want a relaxing place with an understated vibe then i would highly recommend Coral Rock.

We were disappointed to say the least......

by TripAdvisor Member DarylD

I had booked Coral Rock after viewing their very professionally done website. It looked perfect. I emailed and explained that I was planning on proposing to my gf at the top of Kilimanjaro and would then be coming to Coral Rock to unwind . I asked for an out of the way and nicer room and offered to pay more for it. I was assured that they would reserve a room for us that would fit that description. When we arrived we were shocked. The hotel did not look anything like the website. We were given a choice of two older rooms which had a mildewy smell and were not representative of pics on the website. We had spent two of the last three weeks living in tents and all were preferable to a night in these two rooms. After looking around I saw they had much nicer rooms closer to the restaurant. I mentioned this but they had given these rooms to people already, so obviously they knew how to take my reservation, they just didn't know how to keep it. While we were pondering what to do two other couples came in and were equally surprised at what the hotel looked like compared to the website. We both have traveled all over the world, from Peru to Mongolia, and neither my gf nor myself felt we had ever been so mislead. Fortunately, both JP and Bonita are very customer oriented and did an excellent job at giving us a full refund and getting us to another hotel. Although the hotel was much more high end than we needed, it was clean and nice. We ended up moving after a few days to a place that was more in line with what we were looking for, laid back but clean and customer oriented. I am sorry to write this review but I do feel that the owner needs to reinvest some money into his hotel and ensure that customers are given the full story. The beach in Feb. is absolutely filled (1 foot deep) with seaweed. It is impossible to enjoy the "beach" as you can't see it for the seaweed at this time of year. Again, my compliments to Bonita and JP, as well as my sympathies for having to deal with the kind of damage control I am sure they must almost constantly have to do.

Beautiful, Budget Accom.

by TripAdvisor Member eve13

My sister and I stayed here for three nights, after 2 weeks tenting on safari. We loved the property - beautiful location, wonderful and quite big infinity pool, overlooking sea (see pictures). It is best described as a rustic property - you stay in older cabins (on waterfront) and there are approx. only 12 cabins. You need to know the sea has a little bit of weed, and is very tidal - but still a wonderful colour. We would stay here again and recommend to friends.

You need to remember this is Africa - one night, we had cold water, the hotel food was pretty average (but wonderful beach setting in restaurant) and there was a delay in terms of transport when we left. BUT in terms of food, you can walk down the beach to other resturants (also wonderful young man selling great and god value paintings on beach - in hut). In terms of vendors on property, I enjoyed the kids selling fruit to your door and the massage ladies and other vendors - if its not your thing, just say not buying/already brought and they respect that.

We loved our stay - it was good value and very relaxing. We ended up not doing any trips and just relaxed, swam and sun-bathed. Great place for that! See our photos to get an idea for what the place is like - their website is accurate as well.
P.S. Please remember to being pens and paper for the kids - they really want that!! Being able to interact naturally with locals at the hotel was a highlight of our stay - see the pic's.

Comments