Lake Manyara National Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• Penelope4 profile photo Penelope4
  • Reviews: 461

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge: They say it's the best hotel at Lake Manyara

Lodges are circular, closely-thatched rooms with beautiful interior design. Each room has a private veranda and a view of Lake Manyara.

Warm towelette to clean your face/hands is provided to the guest upon arrival. And fresh juice too. I arrived around 11 a.m. and the room was not ready so they watched over my luggage while I killed time. It was too early to have a cocktail but the sight of the swimming pool and the pretty view of the lake encouraged me to ask Amarula from Michael, one of the hotel's professional bartenders. I asked him to take a photo of me before I could even have my first sip of Amarula and before I knew it, he has already given me a briefing of the town.

As soon as my room was ready, I just dropped off my luggage, took a deep breath and looked at the nice view from my veranda then ran to the massage room. Three days of game driving made my shoulders ache. After the session, I went straight for lunch which I finished off with a nice cool white wine. Then I went to the souvenirs shop and guess what - the items are much cheaper (and of course at fixed prices) than outside. I bought loads of bracelets and necklaces for my friends and loved ones (and of course for myself). The shopkeeper knows her stuffs very well and give professional advices when asked. Don't blame me if I came back to the shop and bought some more stuffs.

There are some rooms where friends can chat over drinks. The restaurant is huge. The selection of fruits, veggies is ample. The dinner is a la carte, lunch and breakfast buffet. Waiters are alright as well as the F&B Manager who makes sure that everybody is attended to. And did I mention that they provide entertainment at dinner time (actually when I arrived around late afternoon, I heard drums and singing at the pool too).

The Receptionists try to provide answers to all queries. One even assisted me to the Business Centre where I checked my emails. I also got my wake up call one minute ahead of time.

The path to the restaurant, to the outdoor bar, to the lodges is romantically lighted. During the day, I found it very nice just to walk around.

If I do a game drive at Lake Manyara, I'll definitely stay here again.

Well, the photo you see on the Website of Serena will make you think that the lake is just a few feet away from the lodges. That is far from the truth. Nevertheless the lodges stand high on the cliff and provides panoramic view of the lake. When you drive down the road, you will find the roof of the lodges trying to peek from where they are.

To me, the high standard of service is what makes the hotel popular. And the bar and the pool and the lodge....

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 11, 2010

Lodge No. 26 - my temp dwelling

• munsonline profile photo munsonline
  • Reviews: 1

Lake Manyara Serena: Friendly, lovely setting, activites at hotel

I have stayed here twice and found everything wonderful. Attentive staff, very helpful, beautiful setting. You can walk on paths near the hote. An elephant drank out of the pool while we were there. It came up the STEEP mountain from the park. Amazing. Baboons around here. I saw the gardens where they grow food for the hotel. The hotel helps the locals with their water supply. Fairly expensive, drinks are costly, but consistent as all Serena's are. Would stay there again, definately.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Luxury Travel, National/State Park
  • Written May 10, 2008

• PeteG profile photo PeteG
  • Reviews: 84

Lake Manyara Campsite: Manyara's campsite

The campsite is beside the main road, but it is secure and gated and has 24 hour a day security. It is a small site possibly 60 metres by 150 metres in size, but has pretty decent facilities. At our last visit in June 2006 it had a new shower and toilet block which were a big improvement on the previous ones!

The is a small souvenier shop in the site and a bar. The bar is nice and serves well chilled beers! You can also charge your batteries for cameras etc there.

The plus point of the site is its swimming pool. It is not big, maybe 10 metres in length, but it is clean and well looked after and just what you need after a days travel or safari.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Photography, Safari, Camping
  • Written November 10, 2007

• croatia2006 profile photo croatia2006
  • Reviews: 61

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lake Manyara Serena Lodge: Great view!

Nice, kind of typical, Serena lodge near Lake Manyara National Park.

Best part is the swimming pool area - the pool is situated just on the edge of the valley escarpment, looking down the park+lake.

See the photo (sorry, there was some mist...)

The hotel also organized a performance of traditional african dances by the pool, which was touristic but entertaining after game drive.

• Related to: Photography
  • Written January 30, 2007
Tip Photo

Lodge's swimming pool, what a view!

• sarahandgareth profile photo sarahandgareth
  • Reviews: 591

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge

Although less distinctive than Gibb's Farm, not far away, the Serena is still an excellent upmarket option. The Serena group has high-quality accommodations scattered across Tanzania, close to all of the major tourist destinations. The Lake Manyara Serena overlooks the lake, glinting in the distance down in the valley; this was the view that greeted us when we walked out of our room, and the soundtrack of birds was quite extraordinary. Walking up to the restaurant/bar area, we were besieged by all manner of birdlife, setting the stage for our visit to Lake Manyara National Park.

The food - which, as in most safari places, was all inclusive - was excellent, with a fabulous dessert buffet and a good wine list (considering that we were staying at a place where most guests have plenty of money, the prices seemed good, too).

Like many lodges, Serena is quite insulated from the outside world, but as a relaxing, high-quality chain it's hard to beat. The beds, too, were the biggest we've ever seen!

• Written August 17, 2005

Lake Manyara cabin

• sarahandgareth profile photo sarahandgareth
  • Reviews: 591

Gibbs Farm

Halfway between Lake Manyara and the Ngorongoro Crater, Gibbs Farm is a place you won't want to leave. Not even in search of the Big Five wild animals!

Once you leave the main road at Karatu It's a 5 mile drive along a dusty road, and we wondered just what we were getting into. The moment we pulled into the driveway, however, we realized that we had landed somewhere special: we sipped drinks while looking down the valley, listening to an incredible array of birdlife.

Next morning, we explored their huge fruit and vegetable farm - with the produce used exclusively in the guest house and by the farm employees. They focus on fresh, in-season ingredients, so we saw, among other things, lots of avocadoes (they were so ripe we heard them clanging off the roofs of the the guest rooms on occasion!).

The coffee, grown on the farm and roasted fresh daily, is incredible - as is all of the food (we had dinner and breakfast). The menu is fixed each day, but is guaranteed to be of high quality, and the wine is very fairly priced.

The generator stops every evening around ten, which encourages an early bedtime, and in the cool weather, someone comes around offering hot coals to put in the heating stove in each room!

• Related to: Farm Stay, National/State Park, Safari
  • Written August 17, 2005

View from Gibbs Farm lawn

• laetitiad profile photo laetitiad
  • Reviews: 206

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge: Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge

Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge is beautiful hotel (like all the serena lodges). It's located 15 minutes from Lake Manyara national Parks and has a beautiful view.

beautiful pool with wonderful view, very nice surrounding

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Photography, National/State Park, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 11, 2005

view from the lodge

• Myndo profile photo Myndo
  • Reviews: 956

Lake Manyara Lodge: With a view on the Lake

Lake Manyara Lodge:
Not actually in the National Park, but outside and up: on the rim of the "mountain"-peak next to it.

This Lodge is not as luxurious equipped as the others we were in (it is also not a Sopa Lodge) , and the food is more simple made, but the swimmingpool is worth trying..

The view over the land beneath is magnificient. Often you can see whole flocks of birds circling in the air over the Lake.

• Related to: Safari, National/State Park
  • Written December 13, 2004

Pool at Lake Manyara Lodge

• tompt profile photo tompt
  • Reviews: 2523

Lake Manyara Hotel: great views

From the Lake Manyara Hotel you have a great view over Lake Manyara. The Lake is at the bottom of the escarpment. From every room (there are 100 rooms) you can see the lake. The rooms are clean and equiped with a mosquitonet, which is no luxury with all the water in the neighbourhood.
The food is good, and usually served in buffetstyle.

In the Lake Manyara National Park there is plenty of wildlife. A gamedrive in the park is ofcourse a must.

• Written November 5, 2004

view on the lake from 600 meters higher

• jackfruit profile photo jackfruit
  • Reviews: 124

Lake Manyara Hotel: Luxury Accomodation overlooking Lake Manyara

This is a wonderful safari hotel built during the days of Nyerere and is still holding up! Spacious rooms with roomy balconies. Buffet style breakfast and dinner. Decor is african and very nicely done! Hotel has a small giftstore with some unique items. But we found that some local stores on the way (between the hotel and the National Park) had a better selection of african souveniers and far less pricier!

The hotel boasts nicely landscaped gardens, pool and an outdoor patio. Great views of Lake Manyara and the Rift Valley. You will see plenty of baboons all over the hotel grounds! Most nights, the hotel has free after-dinner shows by local artists (music or dance) in the patio area.

• Written January 12, 2004