3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Zanzibar Palace Hotel

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NathalieB

This hotel was just great. The rooms are very beautiful the staff and management is extremely friendly and you get a nice personal service. I bet you could ask them for anything and they will try to arrange it for you. Would recommend it to everybody going to stonetown.

Something Rare and Special

by TripAdvisor Member Bob_U_Like

A very grand original Stone Town building on 4 or 5 floors beautifully restored by the owners (Sebastian & Marion) and furnished with locally sourced antiques which reflect the mixed heritage (Asian, Arabian and African) of the island. They provide space, style and comfort together with vast balconies and for the best suite(s) a roof top open-air shower.

Best of all is the service which is flawless at every level (coincidentally they have the prettiest waitress/barmaid in the whole of Africa and the best coffee in Zanzibar) and all magnificenlty topped off by Sebastian's hands-on Mr Smooth-it, Mr Fix-it approach. I'm sure he wil leave you alone if you want peace, but we had him as personal (unpaid) street guide, antique shopping trip leader and general resource (I suspect he thought we were mystery shoppers!).

Sebastian and Marian completed the restoration less than a year ago and deserve to succeed. Unless you are on a budget (although I suspect they will haggle in low season) it has got to be the Stone Town base to kick-off a Zanzibar trip.

We can only but agree Bob!!

by TripAdvisor Member MijoSpain

We can only but agree with Bob U Like - it is a great place! Did not see the gorgeous barmaid but met other staff who were extremely sweet and helpful - service all the way. Arriving there after a nightmare journey I was speechless for all of a minute, taking in the amazing decor and sipping the fruitjuices and wiping my sweaty brow with the chilled towels - all part of the welcome at the hotel.
Sebastian and Marion have done a fantastic job and everything that is said about them and their attitude towards their guests is true. We could wax lyrically about the rooms, the decor, the staff, Marion and Sebastian as hosts - everything - but as it's all been said before all we are going to do is HIGHLY recommend this place for some serious pampering and as a haven of calm in bustling, lovely Stone Town.
One thing though - we agree that a pool would be most welcome Sebastian - perhaps in the next place ;-)? We would also agree that perhaps some walls around the actual toilet might be a good idea - sometimes Africa-bellies are not for the fainthearted. However - this is THE PLACE in Stone Town and no mistake.
Sorry it took us ages to do this S & M - I am sure you can guess what we have been busy with...

Paul & Mijo
Spain

A beautiful hotel with heart and soul

by TripAdvisor Member Kelownagirl

For anyone visiting Stonetown, I highly recommend this beautiful boutique hotel. It has 9 rooms on 3 floors and each one is unique, large and furnished with beautiful Zanzibar furnishings. The beautiful large bed made me feel like I was royalty....as did the owners, Sebastiann and Marion. These are the most friendly, helpful and interesting hoteliers I have ever met. Marion is an incredible chef and if you want, say seafood, she will come up with the most creative dish...as she did with salads, pasta..just anything you requested. She is so good that I was reluctant to dine outside the hotel. Sebastiaan goes above and beyond the call of duty to help you and advise you on any number of matters. He personally took me to a local travel agent to book a safari and also to Kenya Airways when I had a ticketing problem..he was willing to sit with me until I was looked after. How great is that. You can easily book any tours through Sebastiaan and arrange for airport transfers so it is hassle free. I also loved the staff...they were friendly and helpful and would tell me all about Stonetown and their families and teach me Swahilli. The breakfast was scrumptious. It started at 8:00 and if you wanted coffee earlier you could have it delivered to your room at 7:00 free of charge...and a sweet was included. It was such a great way to start the day. Even though I didn't use them, there was TV, DVD player, telephone and access to internet available.
I was very sad to leave as by the end of my 13 night stay I felt like it was a home away from home. Thank you Sebastiaan and Marion for giving me such good memories that I shall always treasure.

Best service ever!

by TripAdvisor Member lorriemarchington

A very beautiful hotel decorated with thought and good taste. The service was exceptional - arranging for our ferry tickets to be picked up, able to leave bags. Nothing was too much trouble. It was expensive, but we didn't check prices of rival hotels.

Thank you all Sebastian and Marion and the wonderful staff.

A spectacular room in a very charming hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member TheNorwegianCouple

The location is excellent, right in the heart of Stone Town, It's run by a very friendly deutch couple, and all the staff was wonderful as well. If you are looking for something special try to get the Dunia Suite, as it just might be the most spectacular room on Zanzibar! The room itself is nice, but the magic happens when you walk up the stairs to the open bathroom where you can enjoy an almost 360 degree view of Stonetown while taking a bath or just relaxing on a sunbed! It is worth every shilling, and made a perfect end to our honeymoon (after staying at Ras Nungwi and Bawe Island which were also great!)

fantastic!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sajas3

Our honeymoon started in Zanzibar Palace Hotel where we stayed for 6 nights. It is located in the narrow, charming streets of Stone Town, just minutes away from the markets, the sea, harbor,.....
It was absolutely wonderful!
Sebastiaan and Marion, the owners, give you a warm welcome and make you feel at home right away. But the magic really happened for us when we saw our Sultana room. Romance all over, typical Zanzibar carved furniture, a huge bed, a terrasse and a big Sultan bath I had never seen before! Just perfect!!!!
Sebastiaan and Marion, as well as the great staff, really try to make your stay as personal as possible and they absolutely succeed in doing so. They arranged all our trips and excursions, transport, boat tickets,... Anything you ask can be done and everything is taken care of.
The service is good, the breakfast very good, the rooms fantastic, location perfect, owners very nice, staff friendly,... We can only write good things about this hotel and these people.
They really gave us a wonderful stay!
Saskia and Cedric - Belgium

Wonderful Small Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dcakm

We ( a couple of 50 year olds and our three teenagers, from Vancouver, Canada) stayed for two nights at this hotel in August 2007.

It deserves the high ratings provided by others. The owners have invested alot in making this hotel work well, and the staff are all of a high quality. We were expected by the hotel ( reservations in Tanzania are often meaningless) and greeted with an avocado/passionfruit drink ( much better than it sounds).

The hotel is centrally located ( halfway between Fooradhani Gardens and the Fish market) for everything there is to see and do. Unfortunately, its also close to a mosque which summonses the faithful at 0430 and again at 0500. Every other centrally located hotel would also enjoy this piece of local life. The hotel seemed safe and secure and we felt comfortable walking to and from the hotel at night.

The rooms are full of local furnishings. We had a large four poster bed with a mosquito net. Everything is very clean. There is an atmospheric little bar and a small restaurant used for breakfast, which comprises both continental and english meals. Other meals are also available. There is a laptop for internet use.

Perhaps the most useful aspect of the hotel is the helpfulness of the Belgian owners. They provided us with suggestions for restaurants, trips, shopping, travel to the mainland etc. My sense was that they would do anything reasonable to help a guest, which could be very useful as travelling in Africa can present a wide range of challenges.

We would definately stay there again if we went back to Zanzibar, and would recommend this place to any friends travelling there.

5 out of 5 - its that simple

by TripAdvisor Member familyof3livingstone

If you want to know how great this little hotel is just read all the reviews that give it a 5 out of 5 and you will know. The personal touch from Sebastian and his wife is especially welcoming. Careful you don't burn out Sebastian - dealing with guests day in and day out is hard work. We loved out short stay and would highly recommend the Zanzibar Palace Hotel.

excellent service, location and rooms

by TripAdvisor Member shmil

very simple:
excellent location
nice rooms (i was one night in small room and 1 night in a family room).
in zanzibar town you are not much in the room, so do not expect in any hotel a big 5 star hotel luxury.
here - it is very clean, well maintananced, good breakfast, and most of all - excellent service.
most recomended.