Kijangwani, Tanzania
Ocean Paradise Resort & Spa
Agoda.com Tingo.com Venere.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ocean Paradise Resort

Great holiday at Ocean Paradise!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Gary&Louise

Just back to Scotland from two week holiday at the Ocean Paradise. Have never written a review of any hotel before but felt I had been given a negative impression of the resort on the site and wanted to redress the balance.
My husband and I are seasoned travellers and have stayed all over the world, from the Carribean to Thailand, Indonesia, US, Europe, Maldives, South America, Middle East etc etc and had visited Kenya on two previous occasions.
Have to confess that after reading the reviews my first choice was the Bluebay but (fortunately) that was fully booked. Visited the net to have a look at the Ocean Paradise (website really doesn't do you justice guys!) and liked the sound of the beachfront cottages. Our travel Company couldn't provide this acommodation but we managed to up-grade after contacting the hotel direct - and very helpful they were too - booking us one of only five beachfront cottages. Location couldn't have been better.
Rooms were clean and fresh with plenty of living space - bathroom was a bit dull but again was clean and pretty spacious too. Lovely seating area outside on the decking with views out over the powder white beach and ocean.
Our concerns about the Ocean Paradise were really about dodgy rooms/lousy service and rotten food but I just can't understand what the problem that previous reviewers had - unless they were totally obsessional. Rooms were lovely -clean and comfortable, staff at all the Restaurants and Bars, as well as housekeeping , were very friendly and couldn't be more helpful, Reception staff were polite and helpful but maybe not quite as friendly.
The food is buffet style and I am always a bit nervous about that but I couldn't find fault with it - often freshly cooked on demand in front of you and a great selection of drinks and imported wines. Entertained by live music every night which wasn't quite Coldplay but was charming and unobtrusive. There is an A La Carte Restaurant which will cost you extra (and was also very nice - Slipper Lobster was great) but it was hardly used as the buffet food was so good and included in the price
Breakfast was always fresh with omelettes/pancakes and waffles cooked on request.
We are both divers and used the services of OneOcean who were also very friendly and helpful, based at Bluebay which is about 15 mins drive away (One Ocean collected us and dropped us off) and where the boats leave from. Dived one day at Stonetown and have to say it really wasn't one of the best diving experiences I've ever had but the diving off the small islands nearby was great and the guides were generally very good, as was the Boat - but don't take anything you want to keep dry! Thanks Carl for fixing my regs. and Sally for 'looking after my brain' for 2 weeks.
Other trips we did were to the Spice Farm, Stonetown and to see the Colubus monkeys (which was well worth the effort) but didn't really do much more as we were diving 5 out of 14 days.
The commitment of the Management team to creating a first class resort at One Ocean was evident and it was obvious that they had put a lot of effort into creating a 'customer comes first' ethic.
Give Ocean Paradise a go and you won't be disappointed - chill out, remember this is Africa and that you are on holiday - what's the hurry???
Gary & Louise

ZANZIBAR

by DAO

When you hear the name it conjures up visions of a lush tropical island with swaying palm trees, a sound and feel of Arab history, and a cool breeze coming off of the ocean. Paradise. Find it here. Even if you are not planning to go, just click at the links below to see the serine pictures and relaxation that is the Island of Zanzibar. Ancient Omani Forts, endangered monkeys, villages fishing with nets. A relaxing holiday here is economical, not just magical. The people will greet you with a warm ‘Jambo’ (hello), the weather is always great and the food is something special.

Karibu Zanzibar! Welcome!

*** PLEASE NOTE TANZANIA IS A MALARIAL ZONE ***

Please see my Zanzibar Pages for great pictures!

ZANZIBAR ISLAND

ZANZIBAR TOWN

JAMBIANI

Breath taking Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member FHM228

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Ocean Paradise Resort in December 2005. The six days we spent there was worth every cent or should I say dollar. The trip to the resort was a bumpy one but the resort was breath-taking. The staff were extremely friendly, the rooms spacious and cosy, and the food was devine. The resort provided entertainment at night, each night was a different theme. As honeymooners we were treated to a special dinner on the beach. The "beach-boys" are a bit anoying, because as soon as you walk on the beach they approach you and try to sell you tour packages. I would definitely go back to Ocean Paradise.

Outdtanding holiday experience

We spent a week in December 2006 at Ocean Paradise Resort. I went without any expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious. The setting is breathtakingly beautiful.

The resort could improve on the entertainment and recreational facilities. The staff are so helpful and friendly. The food is average but adequate and the company was wonderful. You must make an attempt to mix with the other guests. We did this and formed wonderful friendships. Zanzibar is very rural, poor and unpoilt which is all part of this unique experience. You cannot expect 1st world standards in a very 3rd world country. They do the very best that they can and that I greatly admired and appreciated.

We interacted with the locals and did not expect all the services to be laid on for us.

We will definately go back to Ocean Paradise but this time with the whole family.

Thank you Ocean Paradise and Zanzibar for an unforgettable holiday.

Paradise? It is!

by TripAdvisor Member leada

I had some minor concerns having read previous bad reviews, but all of these were eliminated once we arrived at Ocean Paradise Resort. We arrived around ten am and were greeted by very friendly helpful staff. Within an hour our room was ready. Initially we were a little disappointed with not having a sea view room and enquired about a possible exchange the next day. However having checked into our room, we were most definately impressed. The rooms were beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. By the next day we had decided that we were not concerned about changing our room as the views were great throughout the resort.
The food was delicious with plenty of choice, the staff incredibly friendly with greetings of "jambo" from all staff who seemed genuinely happy to help. The bahazi bar was a lovely place to relax for happy hour at the end of a hard day lay on the beach, high up near reception overlooking the ocean. We did not encounter any "hassle" from the beach boys. They only approached you if you went through onto the public beach. They are, after all only trying to make a living and were respectful of a "no, thank you" when showing you their wares.
The staff informed you of activities available throughout the day at breakfast, if you wished to take part, such as the village walks.
The whole resort was spotless. Yes there were some tiles missing in the pool, but it was clean with someone continually going round maintaining cleanliness.
The rooms were cleaned daily with lovely touches such as flowers on the bed or in the tiebacks of the mosquito nets.
The peacefulness of the resort was fantastic and the whole stay was great after the hectic week of safari. The manager made an effort to speak with guests and was constantly around checking standards. The questionnaire at the end of the stay was difficult to complete as there was not enough room on the form to detail all the good points especially the service. It was impossible to complete the question about staff who provided exceptional service as they all did, and i don't think we encountered one sullen or unhelpful staff member.
A fantastic resort which we would happily recommend to others (in fact we just have!!)

Great hotel! Important budgetting info!

by TripAdvisor Member Liesl24

My husband and I spent 5 days at Ocean Paradise at the end of August. This was our second trip to Zanzibar and the first time we stayed at Mapenzi.
I can honestly say that Ocean Paradise is by FAR the better choice - the pool was amazing, great band playing in the evening, overall better amenities (hairdryer in room!) and good service.

The only "problem" with Zanzibar is that you are pretty much limited to the resort, since it is a heck of a mission to get around (and hence very expensive). But if you are keen on getting some sun, drinking cocktails at the pool bar and staying in comfortable and luxurious rooms, this is for you.

One word of warning though, the "extras" can cost a bit. We went for the half board package, which excluded lunch, drinks and excursions, and we went totally over our budget.
For example:
Snorkelling trip - approx $48 per person
Beer - $2
Cocktails - $4-5
Bike hire - $7.50
Lunch (example pizza, burger) - $7-8 per person.
Water (1 liter) - $1

All in all I would definately recommend Ocean Paradise to anyone!

Great Place for R&R post safari

by TripAdvisor Member MrsJBelson

Ocean Paradise was a great retreat after a safari. We were honeymooners and for some reason this was not in their records. They did change our room on the second day and we were refunded the supplement we paid for a ocean front rooms. Defintley worth the money to stay in these bungalows. The rooms are great and clean. The staff was super friendly and accomodating. The hotel needs some minor fixes such as missing tiles in the pool. Overall a great relaxing experience. Not much to do but this was our intention upon arriving. Food was great! Make sure you book your snorkeling and scuba trip as soon as you get there. The cost for these is set at a flat rate so the more people you get the cheaper it is per person. They have internet access and massages available as well.

excellent honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member lewy976

We stayed at the Ocean paradise after a safari in Kenya for our honeymoon, The hotel is beautiful even better than the brochure pictures.
Our room was gorgeous, we didn't get an upgrade as the brochure sugests but there was a lot of other honeymooners there.
The staff were brilliant always smiling and helpful, especially Mohammed and Ali the entertainment staff.
The food was ok and the drinks were reasonable, I recommend the local gin (Konagi)
If you want soveniers I would buy from Stone town or the local beach boys to get the best bargins, we made friends with Eric on the beach and he found us everyhting we wanted, you can spot him in his man united shirt. This also helped as we didn't get harassed by the other beach boys.
If you want to go on trips try and shop around as the hotel can be expensive, and try and make friends with other guests as the more people who go the cheaper it is. We recommend the spice tour we really enjoyed it.
We felt the Jungle Bar let it down slightly it seemed to need a good clean and the toilets were horrible. It was also advertised as staying open till 3am but this was not the case, on one evening at 12 the lights and music went off, the staff left and we were left to finish our drinks alone!
If you are english take pounds in hard currency as the hotel gives an excellent exchange rate for paying your bill 2000tsh-£1.
Try and have some small notes (dollars) for tips before arriving as the hotel doesn't change money up, if you put the tip on your room bill it takes a few weeks before the staff see it.
Over all we had a lovely stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.

great place to chill out

by TripAdvisor Member Phitos

My wife and I together with our two kids spent a week at this hotel after an enjoyable but gruelling safari in Kenya. We wanted to relax and do nothing strenuous and Ocean Paradise was the perfect environment for doing that. It is a place where you go to be pampered from staff who put flowers on your bed, to turning down the sheets at night, to serving you drinks whilst your taking in the sun on the comfortable loungers, looking at the scene of pure white sand and acquamarine sea. And when you get those hunger pangs, you can have a generous plate of tasty tiger prawns or grilled lobster for the modest price of about £10 sterling, a fraction of the price you might pay in London. For those less adventurous in their choice of cuisine you can wolf down a burger, pizza ro justa salad, for the price of a takeaway sandwich in London. Evening meals were a choice of a la carte or buffet, most people choosing the latter. And it was quite a feast - beef steaks to die for, grilled chicken, tuna, kingfish, curries and stews of a very high standard, as well as European fare of pasta dishes, salads, soups, etc. You're spoilt for choice.
eat.

Something needs to be said about the staff - they are all very friendly, curteous and attentive to your needs, always ready to clear away dirty plates, serve you more drinks, find you your favourite table, and so on. You really feel that they want to make your stay there as pleasant as possible.

Of course the hotel is there to make money so if you want to go on excursions they will charge you. A half-day trip to the reefs, including food, trasnsport and loan of snorkelling gear, is about £25 which might sound a lot, but when you compare it to a night out at the theatre or a trip to a football match actually its quite reasonable.

beach bliss

superb service, great management, so much so that I never had to worry about anything but getting my photography and writing done which was inspired wholly by the sense of content and peace the hotel gave me. Aesthetically, its a beautiful hotel with fabulous rooms, the seafront ones being super spectacular! The ambience was incredibly relaxed because I never had to really do anything but show up at the beach, at the pool, at the resturant or just stay in bed if thats what I chose to do, but an honest holiday because I really never had to think!

The staff made the stay more delightful because of the one on one that the hotel provides adding a presonal touch to the holiday. I know its a wonderful holdiay destination if you really want to have a holiday and one that you don't need a holiday to recuperate from afterwards!

The beach is stunning white and clean. 14 colours of clear blue and green water. The hotel made arrangements for an awesome sail on a 42 foot cat where sailfish was the catch and it gently done in garlic butter was for dinner!

HAS ANYONE USED TRAVEL STUDIOS FOR A SAFARI ?

by SANDRARAYSON

WE ARE DOING A TWO WEEK SAFARI IN TANZANIA IN DEC 08 AND THEN A WEEK IN ZANZIBAR AT THE OCEAN PARADISE HOTEL. WE HAVE BOOKED IT THROUGH TRAVEL STUDIOS AND WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED THIS COMPANY BEFORE. ALSO WONDERING WHAT THEY CHARGE FOR DRINKS ,WINE ,BEER ECT AT THE LODGES. AND IF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR OWN WITH YOU. HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE OCEAN PARADISE RESORT ON ZANZIBAR ? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. P.S. I LOVE THIS WEB SITE ,VERY INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE.CHEERS SANDY

TANZANIA AND ZANZIBAR

by SANDRARAYSON

MY FAMILY AND I ARE GOING ON A TWO WEEK SAFARI IN TANZANIA IN DEC 12TH 08. I AM WONDERING WHAT THE WEATHER WILL BE LIKE AND WILL WE SEE MANY ANIMALS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR? WE ARE STAYING AT LODGES ALONG THE WAY WHICH I AM ALSO WONDERING WHAT THEY ARE LIKE. IS THE FOOD GOOD? SUCH LODGES AS MARA MARA AND NGORONGORN CRATER LODGE, LION HILL LODGE AND SARA SERENGETI LODGE ARE JUST TO NAME A FEW.
WE ARE FLYING OVER TO ZANZIBAR FOR A WEEK AT THE OCEAN PARADISE HOTEL. ANYONE BEEN THERE ? WE ARE FLYING OVER ON PRECISION AIR ON A 70 SEATER PROPELLER PLANE(NOT A FAN OF FLYING SO WONDERING WHAT THIS FLIGHT WILL BE LIKE, ONLY LIKE BIG JETS) BUT I WILL SUFFER TO GO TO ZANZIBAR OR HAVE DRINKS BEFORE I GO. IS THE ISLAND AS NICE AS IT LOOKS. PLEASE ADVISE THANKS SANDRA (DREAMING OF AFRICA)

by JohanIsWeg

Sorry, can't help you with any of your questions. Just wanted to say: I'M JEALOUS!

by orthogal

The lodges are fantastic in Tanzania but it really does not matter as you are,after all,on an adventure of a lifetime in Africa. The animal sightings should be great but every trip is different. Zanzibar is also wonderful,especially the winding streets of Stone town. We flew Precision Air and it was fine,but again every trip and every person is different. Just relax and enjoy,its more fun that way.

by CelticSu

It sounds like you're going to have an AMAZING trip - I, too, am jealous!!

I think you will be astonished at how nice the lodges are - VERY luxurious by anyone's standards, but particularly for being out in the bush!!

Have a drink or two before the flight to Zanzibar, and give us a report when you get back!! :-)

by DAO

OCEAN PARADISE HOTEL is a top resort. Shockingly expensive by local standards, its good value luxury. They are located on the East Coast which is where all the good beaches are.

Enjoy Zanzibar!

(Feel free to have a look at my pages).

Comments