Palma Rima Hotel

See Best VT Value Hotels

palma rima

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 11, 2012

lots of people complain about this hotel but its a cheap tourist hotel people pay peanut prices and exspect the rizt service,,,,only thing i found wrong thay treat thair maids and kitchen staff like *** and the reception staff are rude both the day staff need a smack in the mouth im surprised somone as not done it before now....i took my sales manager back to my hotel with me as his wife was doing my washing the reception refused to let him in,,,i was so pissed off with them i offered the guy outside the wanker refused

Unique Quality: the place was basic nothing stands out you get what you pay for

Beware of Reports Complimenting the Palma Rima Hot

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2008

We stayed at the PR from 24 Dec 07 returning on 1 Jan 08. This is - not even probably - the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in with regards the breakfast, grounds and accommodation. Your first impression of the PR is “YES, I really have arrived in a third world country.” The area immediately outside reception is badly neglected, needs painting, the weeds removing and generally tidying up. Inside reception there are bare wires hanging from the ceiling, dead flies inside the few fluorescent lights which still have covers, the once white ceiling is now a paler shade of grey and finally the plastic gaudy coloured furniture which was new 10 years ago, was in all likelihood last cleaned then as well. The plastic flowers may well take root at some point in the dust covering them.
We stayed in bungalow 18D which when opened up, greeted us to the smell of stale urine. In the on-suite, the toilet seat and lid were both cracked and stained yellow. I shall let you guess with what!!!! The grouting was mouldy, part of the ceiling over the shower area was damp and beginning to collapse, the sink was chipped and there was a constant dripping from the cracked toilet cistern into a bowl placed on the floor to collect the water. The cleaner was not provided with any cleaning chemicals whatsoever to enable her to reduce the smell and make the mirror and other chrome items clean. Not using any disinfectant or bleach at all in a toilet, must be a matter of hygiene concern. In an attempt to reduce the urine odour, we had to keep the windows open at all times. I also bought some disinfectant from a local store so our cleaner could clean the on-suite. I did have to ask for my pillows to be changed upon arrival, they smelt sour and were badly stained. The bed was comfortable enough although being old it did sag badly in the middle. Overall the accommodation is VERY BASIC with no electrical appliances provided whatsoever. We experienced no problems with hot or cold water as reported by other TA members.

Unique Quality: Our sheets were changed twice in the week and most strangely on the day before our departure, the towels were changed every other day.On the plus side, and despite everything else, the PR did manage to excel themselves on New Years Eve. The food was of a high standard and excellent. My compliments to the kitchen staff who obviously worked extremely hard. Onto the entertainment. I can honestly state that it would be difficult to find any better entertainment from this local African dance group, who performed not only on New Years Eve, but also on the other nights and during the day when they were rehearsing. It is such a great injustice that the dancers were not paid. See earlier report on Trip Advisor website dated 7th Jan 08. We never experienced any rudeness by owners towards the staff as we were rarely in the hotel grounds. What I can state is that the management NEVER introduced themselves at any point during our stay or greeted us when we passed them in the hotel grounds.

Here are some comments we have about the PR hotel.

· Against all the odds, the PR staff do do an exceptional job, perhaps they could consider a management buy out and return to the PR’s it’s once, now sadly lost reputation as a good value family holiday destination.

· The PR can truly be considered a third class hotel, in a third world country – holiday BUYER BEWARE

· It wasn’t all-bad, it was grim but at least we had hot water!!!

· It seems to me, that the owners must think that part of the holiday makers experience should be to experience sub-standard conditions, just because they have travelled to a third world country.

· Finally would I stay here again? not on your life! In fact I would travel to the opposite side of the globe to avoid this third rate hotel!

Palma Rima Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Swimming Pool
  • Fitness Center

Kololi Travel Forum

Need advice about Kololi, The Gambia? Visit the Travel Forum for Kololi and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kololi hotel reviews