31 Av Habib Bourguiba, Tunis, 1000, Tunisia

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Do not stay here.

I have never felt compelled to write a review about a hotel before, but a physical threat on my safety by hotel staff compels it.

After speaking with the manager and exiting the hotel I was physically stopped by 3 Tunisian Carlton Hotel employees. My calls for police went unheard.

One of the men took my bag and the other 2 physically escorted me back into the hotel to extort cash from me.

I had already paid for my room online and had a receipt to show for it. I had spoken with the manager, Anise a tall kind dark skinned man that had offered me a refund. The workers were apparently unable to reach the manager and would not let me leave the building without paying... cash for a room I had already paid for.

I had previously complained twice to the manager Anise about the TOTAL LACK OF INTERNET SERVICE despite every piece of promotional material talking about their internet service. He promised me that their service would be functional in 1 hour and it was not.

Speaking with people informally, this hotel has not had internet service FOR WEEKS ! It was their understanding that the hotel has not paid it's internet bills and management is apparently hoping that people won't care.

In addition, their breakfast is unsanitary. All I've eaten in the past 12 hours has been their breakfast. My stomach and bowels are in significant pain with significant diarrhea all day long. I believe it was the juice made from concentrate with non-bottled tap water.

Problems with this hotel....

1) Physical extortion by hotel staff
    2) Breakfast causing all day diarrhea
    3) False advertising
    4) Management dishonesty towards guests
    5) No Internet Service

There are several choices in the area - for your own safety, do not stay here.

Unique Quality: 1) Physical extortion by hotel staff
    2) Breakfast causing all day diarrhea
    3) False advertising
    4) Management dishonesty towards guests
    5) No Internet Service

Directions: Close to the clock tower

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Spartan, central, impersonal, not great value

You can't beat Hotel Carlton for its location: located in the middle of Av.Bourguiba in the heart of the city it's within walking distance from both Medina and TGM station.
    Apart from that I can't stay that i had a memorable stay though I was not displeased.
    The staff were speaking some english which was good, they were polite enough.
    There was a specific smell upon entering the hotel for the first time to which we got used. I asked for a room on the upper floors to avoid street noise and indeed we were given a back room (no view) which was spartan, impersonal but clean and had a huge bathroom (almost as equal as the room). It must have been renovated but still not good work had been done if you were checking the details.
    Breakfast was buffet and quite good
    Price for our double was 90TD per night and I consider it quite expensive to its overall guality. But it seems it's hard to get a central, nice and reasonably priced hotel in Tunis

Comments