Avenue de l'Arabie Saoudite, BP 230, Tunis, 1002, Tunisia
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Tunis

LocationLocation

Rug shopping with friendsRug shopping with friends

Porte de France near the MedinaPorte de France near the Medina

UticaUtica

Visting Sfax and Mahdia in one day from Sousse

by Mirko-M3

Hi, folks!
I'm having a tour in Tunisia at the end of aug 2010,and I intend to re-scedule a bit two days we have more-less free (the rest is organized and fully packed).
We have a whole day to spend in Hammamet and I prefere to visit Sousse.
Few days later we'll get to Sousse and spend all day there, but I'd like to use it to see Sfax and Mahdia. I read in guide that they're worth visiting and Sousse is closest to them,later we won't have a chance.
I have few questions about that:
1. Is it worth all trouble , as it seems according to guide?
2. Can we visit Sfax and Mahdia in one day,(is there enough time to travel and visit of maybe just to go to Sfax?
3. Which way of transportation would be the best for trips Hammamet-Sousse and Sousse-Sfax-Mahdia? It doesn't have to be cheapest but I'd not pay any price...

Can I get some advice about it please?
Thanks all
Mirko

by earthflyer

I travelled from Sousse to Mahdia by Loauge and back again same day but don't know about going any furher to Sfax. I pretty much spent a good part of the day in Mahdia just wondering around.

I personally would do Sfax for another day and enjoy Mahdia it is a nice place to visit and spend sometime their.

Don't forget to visit El-jem if you have not visited already that is a must see.

by Mirko-M3

Thanks,
we don't have the other day for Sfax, so I ment to squeeze all in one day.
El Jem is on tour some other days. Considering the Guide, Sfax seems to be more worth visiting because it's most authentic, altough they say Mahdia is very beautiful.
Mirko

by hawkhead

We rented a flat in Mahdia for a month a couple of years ago in February/March. It is a very charming place and very untouristy at the time of year we were there. We were staying in Mahdia itself and the only time we saw tourists was when they came in for the market from the zone touriqstique". I understand that come April onwards, the Italians descend en masse on Mahdia. I would definitely try and visit `mahdia but don't rxpect it to be like Sousse or Sfax or Monastir. It's worth walking around and off the beaten track. It is easily reachable by train from Sousse and the train fares are very inexpensive.

by earthflyer

Totally agree with Hawkshead. Their was very few tourist in Mahdia when I was there and that was in March 2008 but it was very relax and no hassle at all.

by earthflyer

Madhia is not like sousse or other big tourist places. so defiantly worth a visit.

by earthflyer

Sorry I just can no compare it with Sfax, maybe another trip I will see the difference.

by TheLongTone

Never been to Mahdia but Sfax is delightful.

by earthflyer

Looks like 50/50. A tough choice.

Travel Tips for Tunis

Avenue Habib Bourguiba

by croisbeauty

Actually, I haven't seen much of the town, except for medina and Le Bardo district. It was a half day trip only and the main target was to visit the Bardo National Museum. Avenue Habib Bourguiba is a fine example of how strong the French influence was in the architecture of the city. Everything you see around here remainds on Paris, except for the flags.

Bardo Museum

by croisbeauty

The Le Bardo district of Tunis is home to the museum of the same name, best onown and the most important museum in Tunisia. The museum has grown up around various mansions and constructions, built by the Hafsids and the Beys.
At the end of the 19th century it covered an area of many acres and was closed by a wall with ramparts and towers.

The Zoo of Tunis

by ViperGTSeb

It won't be the first thing you'll go to visit during your stay in Tunis, but since the city doesn't have so much activities to do (once you visit the Bardo, the Medina and all the surroundings)...

Why not take a look at the zoo of the City, located in the Belvedere Park, the biggest park of the city, it is huge, located on a hill, great view on the city when climbing by car, but not really green spaces to relax. The Zoo entrance is not so expensive, and it surprises me because I expected something with a bad aspect, etc.... but no, it was charming, and well organised, funny, lot of animals, it was really hot during the summer but you can rest near a lake under the shadow on some trees and take a drink...

There is water, spectacles, you can admire monkeys and elephant... safety rules aren't really respected I think, but I can say it was pretty funny...

Bollywood and Curry

by OnTheRoadGoombah about Dumpukht

My colleagues and I dined at this Indian restaurant one evening and were surprised to find out we were the only patrons. We made our way upstairs and settled for a table by a plasma TV that was showing some Bollywood movie and later music videos. After enjoying some appetizers, we all ordered something different (don’t ask me what – I only know mine was chicken something). I am not a big Indian cuisine kind of guy, but I did enjoy my meal as did the other three people dining with me. Service was good, but not great, and the restaurant was clean, but we did see a few bugs crawling. That said, everyone really enjoyed their meal and there were no complaints. Although not my first choice, I would go back and eat here again.

The medina at Tunis

by SWFC_Fan

The medina in Tunis is a fascinating, and slightly intimidating, place.

A maze of streets filled with shops selling everything imaginable, and VERY enthusiastic salespeople!!

A word of warning - don't enter a shop unless you intend to buy something. On several occasions, shopowners refused to let me out of their shops after I had browsed around and seen nothing that I fancied buying.

But don't let that put you off visiting - the medina is a truly amazing experience.

Comments