Hotel Majestic

36 Ave. de Paris, (Closed for renovations until July 2008), Tunis, 1000, Tunisia

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• KingOfTalossa's Profile Photo

Hotel Majestic, Tunis -- Recommended

The Hotel Majestic is a wonderful French colonial masterpiece in the heart of downtown Tunis. It is an excellent base from which to explore the city. Restaurants, laundry, ATM, bookstores, all are within a short walk.

Prices are reasonable (approx. $40 US) and the rooms are all air-conditioned. The quaintness is reinforced by the antiquated keys that you have to manipulate "just right" to get the doors open.

Unique Quality: Staff seem to speak Arabic and French exclusively, but were extremely helpful and generous. Very friendly people. They helped us arrange a rental car for our drive to Dougga and were always answering our questions.

The bathroom was enormous compared to the (already large) bedroom. We found this odd. And watch for the stray cats that wander into the lobby. Tunis is teeming with stray cats. If only we could take them all home.

The coolest part about the place is the French colonial ambience. There is a bar popular (it seems) with the locals, who were all cheering France during the European Cup when we were there.

I highly recommend the Hotel Majestic.

Directions: Every taxi driver knows where it is. If you're walking, go up the Avenue Habib Bourguiba (away from the harbour) and take a right on the Avenue de Paris. It will be three or four short blocks -- you can't miss it from the pic!

More about Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic, Tunis -- Recommended

by KingOfTalossa about Hotel Majestic (Tunis)

Our room had a nice view of the Avenue de Paris (one of the main streets) but was quiet, crowds and noisy trams were no problem. Staff seem to speak Arabic and French exclusively, but were extremely helpful and generous. Very friendly people. They helped us arrange a rental car for our drive to Dougga and were always answering our questions.

I highly recommend the Hotel Majestic.

Rades-La Goulette bridgeRades-La Goulette bridge

Basilica of CarthagennaBasilica of Carthagenna

Sidi Bou SaidSidi Bou Said

The MedinaThe Medina

Dining in Tunis

by MichaelRees

I'll be in Tunis next week for a EuroMed meeting. The hotel will be very comfortable but I fancy escaping one evening to eat somewhere else. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Tunis?

Re: Dining in Tunis

by aymen.far

hi
i hope that you read my message when you are in tunis .so you have many propostion for a dinre so you can vist DAR EL JELD its the best traditionnelle restaurant in the old city of tunis EL MDINA if you need help conatct me farhat.aim@voila.fr or +216 98 518 411
take care and have fun in tunisia

Travel Tips for Tunis

Don't be scared. Be polite to...

by Cam_el

Don't be scared. Be polite to everyone and smile all you can. To greet people you will usually kiss on the cheek up to 4 times depending on how well you know the person. Physical touch is common between the same sex.(non-sexual of course) Holding a friend's hand is gracious. The sexes are usually separated. Don't consider this a loss. You will be having so much fun you won't even notice. Women often dance hours of the day away in their home. Women: Men won't kidnap you or anything but I found that I was respected much more than some female tourists they talked about because I followed their ways and stayed with women most of the time.

Tunisians are very sociable people. Expect to spend a lot of time chatting even if you can't communicate that well. Coffee houses are often filled with people playing different games or smoking a shisha (narjihla).

Eating should only be done using your right hand if possible. This also goes for handing money to people. The left hand is considered unclean. Which leads me to the toilets. Most of them are squatting toilets and cannot handle toiletpaper even if you bring your own. Tunisians use their left hand and then wash it off. If you forget your toiletpaper...it is not as bad as you think!

Dress conservatively. You don't need to cover up from head to toe but don't wear mini-skirts or bra tops. I found a long skirt let in more cool air anyways.

I would also recommend bringing some small gifts from your home. They will often present you with fruit or a small gift. It is nice to return.

Colonial style buildings

by barryg23

Away from Avenue Bourguiba the Ville Nouvelle becomes very different. The streets are less grand, there are fewer hotels and restaurants and many of the buildings are in a state of disrepair. We walked around the streets north of Bourguiba one evening and the most interesting buildings we came across were the old French colonial houses which look like they were built in the early 20th century.

Cheap Medina Restaurant

by barryg23 about Mahdoui

On our first day in Tunis we went for a very late lunch while exploring the medina. Ruth wasn't hungry as she had eaten on the plane a few hours before but I was ravenous so we stopped at this restaurant, which was near the Great Mosque, on rue Jemaa Zitouna.

Here I learned my first lessons about Tunisian restaurants.

1) No matter what drink you order, even if it's not on the menu or served in the restaurant, you'll get it. Ruth ordered a coke and we saw our waiter walk down the street with an empty coke bottle. He came back about 10 minutes later with a full bottle. No idea where he went!

2) If you order the fish, there's a good chance it will be served with head attached. This kind of put me off eating it but not quite as I was so hungry. If you're the squeamish type order something else.

Mahdoui is open from 11-4 but if you want a good choice of main courses I'd advise getting there early. The menu looked nice but at 3pm all that was left was the fish. It cost about 6D for a main course and two drinks. Very good value but the food was only adequate.

Musee du Bardo

by smirnofforiginal

National museum & former palace of Husaynid beys (a governor).
Really recommend. Due to time pressure we didn't get to see all of it and one day I will return - with more time - to see it properly. But some really sopectacular sights - such as the Roman mosaics - entire walls & floors.

Comments