Karthago Palace

La Marsa, TunisLa Marsa, Tunis

Money MattersMoney Matters

Bustling alleyways of the MedinaBustling alleyways of the Medina

KairouanKairouan

Alcohol in my hotel room

by nicolasmagdi

having a drink in my hotel room is that permitted. I hear that guest have no right to drink alcohol in their room???

by xymmot

you can drink in your room unless you follow a religion that said it is a sin. Cheers Tommy x

p

by leics

You hear incorrectly. Tunisia is a tolerant country, and alcohol is sold in some restaurants/cafes as well as in bars and in hotels. There is no law against drinking alcohol.

Your hotel, however, may not want you to drink in your room. They may, for example wish you to purchase and consume your alcohol only in their bar. Hotels have the right to set down any regulations they choose (many in many countries do not allow you to bring in food or drink to be consumes in your room for example). So you do not have an absolute right to drink alcohol in your room.

by Fluffy_bunny

Alcohol is not illegal in Tunisia like it is in some other countries. While it is entirely possible that a conservatively religious hotel owner may impose a no alcohol rule, in general i won't be a problem at all.

by leics

It is not just the religious aspect. I have come across hotels in many European countries which do not allow the consumption of food or beverages purchased outside the hotel in their rooms. Of course, they can't actually know what you are eating/drinking unless you make it pretty obvious by leaving bottles etc around, but they do have the right to disallow it.

by xymmot

I can see smoking as a ban, but I can not see alcohol being ban. My friends drank in there rooms in Tunis after a long day at work from a conference.

by leics

It just depends upon the individual hotel. I am sure that in the majority of Tunisian hotels, as elsewhere, there will be no rules about hotel eating/drinking in the room.

by Odinnthor

Really, - Leics is pretty much on the money here. Alcohol consumption in your room is frequently frowned upon by individual hotels - worldwide.

This is where being a savvy traveller comes in. If you are aware of local customs, and behaviors, this rule, wherever it may be enforced, is easy to get around. All they are really saying is, be appropriately discreet, - combined with a little of, ".....but we would prefer you drank in our bar.....". Perfectly normal. A lot of times, this simply reflects the personal feelings of the proprieor, combined with a little ".....but we would prefer you drank in our bar.....". Just be aware, and the problem will resolve itself......d:o)

Well-put, Erik.

But when it comes down to 'rights' the answer is no, you do not have the 'right' to drink in your room if the hotel has rules against this. The hotel has the right to set whatever rules it wants, within the country's law, and also has the right to ask guests who break those rules to leave.

One simply has to be aware, courteous and (if required) subtle. But one does not have an overall 'right' to drink alcohol or eat in one's room.

by Odinnthor

Indeed!

by xymmot

If you really need alcohol, seek a flask to get your fix. what is the big deal unless you make a big deal about it. do your thing, Ido not think that the gestopo will be in Tunis. Cheers to your health, Tommy x

Travel Tips for Tunis

Photo Fee

by MikeAtSea

All ancient sites, mosques, museums and antiquities charge a photographic fee. The ticket for this has to be purchased when one buys the entrance ticket. For each camera a separate fee has to be paid. During my visit the fee was 1 Dinar.

Muslim Customs

by barryg23

Tunisia is a Muslim country and as a consequence many of the people, especially the women, dress quite conservatively. Another Muslim custom is the lack of open displays of affection between couples. However, Tunis wasn't quite so conservative as this and the customs of the people here were somewhere between what I’ve described above and what you might call western or European.

This wasn't something we noticed when we started our trip in Tunis but it was quite noticeable after we had returned to Tunis, having spent so much time exploring the smaller places in the rest of the country.

Halfaouine

by barryg23

On the last morning of our trip we had a few hours left to explore Tunis before flying home so, as we had already seen much of the medina and the Ville Nouvelle, we decided to explore the Halfaouine area, which is in the streets north of the medina. Place Halfaouine is the main square of the district and there is a beautiful mosque, Youssef Sahib et Tabaa, at one end of the square with definite Italian influences in its design. We also walked through a lively market on Rue Halfaouine to get to the square. This market is geared towards locals though we picked up a cheap pack of dates for about 1 Euro. I saw the same packet in Tunis airport later for more than 6 times the price.

Air is the best way to get...

by Cam_el

Air is the best way to get into Tunis. Tunis Air provided the best landing I have ever experienced. The Algerian Civil War was going on while I was there so i don't know if you can drive in from other countries.
Take the buses or taxis. Buses are the best way to travel long distances while experiencing the local life. Ask at your hotel, a police officer, or tourist bureau as to where the stations are. Travel is inexpensive and fun.

In towns try to walk but if it is a long distance take a taxi. Confirm the price before you get in. Sit back and enjoy the music. The trains can be valuable for travel short distances outside of large cities. They're great for excitement! City buses aren't so punctual and they can get so packed that you might not be able to get off. I once saw a guy lying in the back window. I assume he got off by the time the bus stopped running!

Don't drive! You won't figure that one out. Utterly insane on the roads.

Roman ruins - Karfagen

by musbars

Phoenitians came to Tunisia in XII. They based Utica, Gippon, Leptis, Hadrumet, and other cityes. But the most famous is Karfagen now., based 817 bc.
According to a legend, the city was based by the widow of Phoenician tsar Sihej Ellis (in the Roman tradition - Didona). Escaped together with a number of the supporters from her own brother Pigmalion who killed her husbands directly at an altar at once after ceremony of wedding. Didona asked the tsar to give her some land to build a small town. Tsar was against that, he was aware of foreners, he did not know what to exspect from them. But eastern women were always smart and sly, so she got a land for her town. That town was named Karfagen.

Gorgeous! Never seen so many real antiques...

Comments