4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Rated 10% higher but also costs 41% more than other 4.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Riu El Mansour

Riu El Mansour

by dedeckerm. about Riu El Mansour

You have animation the whole day with a good team.
Also animation for children
More pics from the hotel, swimmingpool...
in "travelogue". A four stars hotel with All In formule.

Hotel Riu El Mansour (4*) in...

by myriam_c

Hotel Riu El Mansour (4*) in Mahdia, about 50 km from Monastir airport. This picture is taken from the top floor.

Fishing boats in the Fatimid PortFishing boats in the Fatimid Port

Cafe Sidi Salem, MahdiaCafe Sidi Salem, Mahdia

Cemetery from Borj el Kebir, MahdiaCemetery from Borj el Kebir, Mahdia

View from Borj el Kebir, MahdiaView from Borj el Kebir, Mahdia

Travel Tips for Mahdia

Fatimid Fortifications

by Willettsworld

Dotted on the southern side of the peninsula are the remains of the original Fatimid walls that were built during the 10th century. To get some idea of how they and the rest of Mahdia would have looked, head to the museum beside the Skifa el-Khala and walk up to the first floor where there's a reconstruction plan.

El Mahdiya

by maykal

"2007"

Mahdia was not on the plan....but then, with a few days to fill, I thought, "sod it, why not!" So, a return to my first ever Arab town 8 years later...it was much better this time, fewer tourists, not as hot, and much less hassle.

Last trip, I had only taken a few photos, taking rather too much heed of Lonely Planet's advice on photography ("always ask people before you photograph them"...so I hardly took any at all...of anything... being so worried that someone would come rushing over and berate me for it!!!), so this time my mission was to snap every corner of the city if possible.

I'll get round to updating this page soon...for now, all the info is from 1999, and quite a bit appears to have changed...but for now, just a photo or two...

"1999"

<<<1999: Unfortunately, I didn't get to see much of Tunisia during my week long stay - the main reason for going was because I was heading to Syria for a year to learn Arabic, and this was just a brief introduction to the Arab World. Although mainly a beach holiday based in Mahdia, I did get to visit Monastir with my brother, and the city of Sfax, which was my first taste of travelling alone in a foreign country. I did enjoy my week in Tunisia, despite my brother getting sunstroke. It made me realise how little Arabic I had learnt during one year at university in England, and also how quickly my French was deteriorating - it was quite entertaining to try to explain diarrhoeia to a chemist with a few words of terrible Arabic and a lot of sign language!!
If you are interested in learning Arabic, please see my Middle East page for details.

I enjoyed Tunisia, although I certainly didn't see the best it has to offer. In fact, reading the official tourist literature for Tunisia you might think I went to a completely different place! For that alternative look at Tunisia (i.e. how your hoilday is supposed to be), take a look at THIS! >>>

Comments