Abou Nawas Hotel

More about Monastir

Fort insideFort inside

MausoleumMausoleum

Tunisia, Monastir, Great MosqueTunisia, Monastir, Great Mosque

Tunisia, Monastir, Habib Bourguiba MausoleumTunisia, Monastir, Habib Bourguiba Mausoleum

going from monastir airport to kesser hotel in sousse

by westyorkshire

five of us are tgoing to unisia next sunday.we have not booked tranfer or taxi from monastir airport to sousse (kesser hotel). does anyone know if we can go by metro/train from monastir airport to the resort? will some one help us to plan this route. for example, from airport walk to train station etc please!

by MacedonianUK

Sousse is about 12 km from Monastir. Taxi is very cheap. You will pay something like 12 Tunisian Dinars wich is roughly about £6.
Taxis are parked outside the Airport.
Look for the yellow taxis, as they are registrated & have licence to operate.
For interesting experiance I would take Luage.
Luage is 6 door Renault wich usualy waits to get full before takes off.
For example transfer from Monastir(medina) to Sousse (medina) was 1 dinar per person.
Locals use luage,as local buses are somewath tin on the ground,also give you inside into how Tunisians live.
Hope this helps.
MacedonianUk

by hawkhead

Yes, you can take the train from the airport to Sousse. Walk from airport to train station is more or less along the same lines as from Pisa airport to the station, or at Schipol i.e. it's right there - or a smallish carpark away. However, I think you'd do better to take a taxi that will not be at all expensive, but settle on the price before you get into the taxi (as I remember it, I think I heard there is a set charge) and that will take you straight to your hotel. For the return, you will be better oriented and will be able to work out the trip from your hotel to airport by train, etc. Whether five of you plus luggage can all get into one taxi, well that I can't say. If you take the train, you will then have to get a taxi from the station to your hotel. I am not at all sure of the train times and how frequently they run...... will see if I can unearth a timetable. Btw, the tunisian trains are extremely cheap, basic but entirely safe and clean.

by omda78

In this link : http://www.sncft.com.tn/fr/banlieue_sahel/horaire.php
you can find time of the train (frensh language) clik on "banlieu de sahel" then on "horaire et prix" and after choose "gare de départ" (aeroport) and gare d'arrivée (sousse bab jedid)
good luck ))

by westyorkshire

thank you to the people who have replied to my question regarding travelling from airport to sousse, it was very kind of you. i have another question. is it possible to make your own way via taxi etc to sahara desert or can you only go with excursion trips?

by Kevin-UK

Yes, you can make your own way to the desert areas.
From Sousse you can take the train to either Tozeur or Gabes (my preference) then continue on to Douz on either a bus or louage. To make it a worth while trip I would spend at least one night in Douz (or Tozeur).

Travel Tips for Monastir

Habib Bourguiba

by SWFC_Fan

Monastir is the birthplace of Habib Bourguiba.

Bourguiba served as President of Tunisia from the date of its independence in 1953 until his retirement, at the age of 84, in 1987.

Bourguiba introduced a number of social reforms, especially in the areas of education, health and equal rights for women, which has led to Tunisia becoming the modern state it is today.

Habib Bourguiba is now buried in the impressive Bourguiba family mausoleum in the town.

Museum of Traditional Costumes

by Childish

I must admit that I didn't visit this museum. The lunch break has just begun so I need to wait 3 hours to be opened again. So, I'm writing this tip only to prevent you for doing my mistake not visiting the museum immediately after my arrival in Monastir.

Tourist trap?

by Bushman23

"The Bad..."

We took two trips into the heart of Monastir during our stay. Once during the day, just after we arrived in Tunisia, and the second in the evening, just before our departure. Our initial impressions weren’t too great, to be honest, but once we escaped from the tourist-trap that is the old town (the Medina), it became a slightly more cheerful and welcoming place.

"So, the good?"

The Marina is very peaceful, and of course, colourful too. The beaches are not too crowded, and the entire beachfront is a wonderful photo opportunity :) We didn’t get a chance to enter the Ribat, but from outside it’s quite a spectacle in it’s own right.

"But even better!"

To be perfectly honest though, a much better alternative than Monastir is simply to head in the opposite direction, up to Sousse, the 3rd biggest city in Tunisia, and bustling with life. Not to mention attractions such as the catacombs (see my tips), the bird park, and their beaches.

Comments