Calimera Thalassa Village Skanes

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Calimera Thalassa Village Skanes

Good Value For Money Break

by TripAdvisor Member avfcontour

Just returned from a very nice relaxing week at the Thalassa Village.

Place was everything we expected, clean, basic, but overall excellent value for money.

We didn't do any trips, preferring to spend the week on resort relaxing, and enjoying the plentiful sunshine :-)

Positives were the people, they all work extremley hard and long hours but they are always available to provide service with a smile, and, although never expected, the service was always worth tipping a couple of Dinars and this was always appreciated, also dont forget to leave a couple of Dinars each day on your pillow for the chambermaids, their hardwork is overlooked by some.

No real negatives although on our 5th day there was a large influx of employees of Thomas Cook (France) who turned up for a convention, and although the hotel "ramped up" their service to accomodate these "very important" people their presence did have a negative influence in that they completley took over the main indoor bar on the saturday night for an award ceremony, as the night was wet & stormy there wasn't a lot of space for the fare paying holiday makers.

All in all a holiday to be recommended, Nice place, nice weather and above all Fantastic Tunisian people.
We will return!!

Pretty Good For The Money!

by TripAdvisor Member youngcoupleBath

Our list of 'wants' was pretty basic when we chose this holiday. All we wanted was a cheap(ish), hot beach-type holiday preferably all-inclusive (as we drink a lot..!! ha ha).
After tedious hours internet searching we picked Thalassa village in Tunisia. It seemed to tick most of our boxes.
Only 2hr 40 min flight from Bristol (thought it would be more). Reasonably quick passage through the small Monastir airport. Very quick transfer to hotel (about 15 mins). Brilliant not to have a long transfer but you can hear planes from the hotel complex. Only the odd 1 or 2 I found were quite loud but they pass over quickly. Not really that bothered by it to be honest..unlike some reviews we had read!
As Brits you are seriously outnumbered there by mainly French and German. We weren't that bothered about socialising prefering our own company so we didnt mind too much.
Hotel is well laid out. It's a lot larger than I imagined and we got a room right next to the pool. Malte Number 4 if anyones interested! There are three pools there but one is for infants. The other two pools are beautiful and so clean. No mosquitos when we were there..! These are the best pools I have come across in 7 years of hols so far. Lovely..! Sunbeds are hard to come by and I have to confess I copied the Germans and we reserved our beds daily. I laid towels down at 09:30 and had no problem finding a bed but this was off-season.
Pretty basic room - clean enough and very good daily maid service. TAKE A TRAVEL KETTLE & accessories..! The coffee tastes like muck and tea not much better. We had been prewarned about this am I am very grateful to the person who wrote that review..you saved our holiday..! Room safes are avaliable. Air conditioning unit was pretty useless though but the nights were suprisingly cool and comfortable so no problem sleeping which was nice.
Weather excellent - every day was sunny and up to 32 degrees..very hot in sun. One collosal thunderstorm - amazing lightning and torrential rain for about 2 hrs one evening. Partly flooded our room. Not good.
If you are given a room close to the pools as we were - BE WARNED. The music is loud and that thumping bass-line can be heard even with doors/windows shut. This can go on till 2am. Probably makes me sound like an old man...but I like it to be peaceful if I trying to siesta/sleep. I reckon rooms further away would be ok for noise.
Food is ok. I started thinking 'wow' - nice choice..but by the end you are pretty sick of eating beef/chicken casserole/potatoes daily. No real difference between the lunch and evening meal either. Nice touch was the outdoor chefs cooking pasta/ pizza/ mixed grill to your requirement. There is nowhere to go out to have a meal - you are confined to the complex. There are four additional restaurants you can pre-book with the hotel. Nice to get a change of scenery but dont expect top restaurant food or you will be very dissapointed. These are also fixed menu - you have no choice. You have been warned..!! Plentiful house spirits and lager on tap (tasted a bit like Carlsberg I reckoned - ok with me..!) I still hate half pint jugs; why does every hotel abroad only do these..??
Staff are mainly friendly and did seem to like the English better than the Germans..! We dont have kids but it looked like they were really well looked after.
That's about it really. So to sum up chose this holiday if you are after...Nice beach/pool, clean resort, hot sun and relaxing. Do not choose it if you want socialising, lots of variety, excitement.
One final warning. Monastir airport was horrendous on the return. Do not believe the reps who tell you where to go. Our First Choice reps cocked it up and added over 1hr queueing time. That airport has to be seen to be believed how bad it is during busy times. I reckon its the worst in the world for a terrible layout that led to the nightmare situation we were in.
Happy Hols..!!

Fantastic place, friendly staff, loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member AcidicRed

As others have mentioned, after reading some horrible reviews about this place we were not looking forward to staying here. However, the reviews we had read could not have been more wrong. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food was good (and what a brilliant selection) and the place was very clean - I have never seen cleaners work so hard every day. The only downsides were the number of jellyfish close to the shore at the beach (several children were stung when we were there) and the Snack Bar on the beach which you have to book 24hrs in advance. No problems booking but when we sat down it took 40 minutes to get the first course and drink etc etc - overall 2hrs to eat the food (and we skipped the desert as we wanted to get back to the swimming pools!!). The only remaining downside were the grubbling Brits who were there (it made me feel embarressed to be British). You know the sorts, those who just want english food, english staff etc etc. Go to Blackpool/Margate if you want that. For those who haven't been before and are going with First Choice, I'd recommend the Welcome Tour and Beduin Night excursions.

Best holiday we have

by TripAdvisor Member Jinty43

Fantastic holiday. The hotel was always buzzing with activity, but could always find a quiet spot if needed. Both my kids (aged 13 and 7) had a great time. We did a few trips colliseum, pirate ship, camel rides and the zulu night which were great. We also used the taxi service into Monastir which was lovely. Shopping was fun in the Medini, but when we got fed up we went to the tourist shop. Everything was so cheap, we just kept buying.

Hotel staff made the holiday, it was scrupulously clean, the animation team were fantastic, entertainment was excellent and the waiters were all very friendly and keen to speak English. The food was outstanding and a huge variety ever day, much of it cooked on the spot.

There was also a kids club for younger and older children and sports activities for over 16's. This holiday has something for everyone.

Warning though watch out for the Jelly fish in the sea.

We plan to go back.

Out of season is best

by TripAdvisor Member sharlee4195

having read all the reviews good and bad, here are my thoughts.we stayed at the thallassa last christmas and had a fantastic time so good in fact were off there again this christmas. there wasnt many british in fact there wasnt that many people there at all ,yippee no queing,no rowdy lager louts,no searching for a vacant sunlounger or seat.the rooms could do with a bit of a makeover but most importantly they were very clean and cleaned every day my anti-bac wipes were allmost redundant.the food was ok which is a compliment for me as i am quite fussy. ok so it wasnt up to gordan ramseys standards but we didnt starve,ther was allways something we could eat.christmas eve gala night was great the staff made it as special as they could,it was very seasonal.all of the staff were frindly helpful and polite nothing was yo much trouble for them, maybe this was because there were not too many guests and they were not so stressed and able to relax more. the guy from the entertainment team who looked after us brits was called bob a brill bloke who spoke loads off languages,he joined us for dinner several times and said in the height of the season it is so busy he never gets to know the guests has he has no time to have a conversation with them. also the beach was spotless every morning it was cleared and racked in fact the whole of the complex was being constantly cleaned.so my thoughts are the best time to go is out of the main summer season.PLEASE DONT GO AT CHRISTMAS AS MY PARTNER, MY DAUGHTER AND I JUST LOVE IT AS IT IS. PEACEFUL AND RELAXING.....

Loved the people...

by TripAdvisor Member Pabs_Sco

Me and my wife stayed here on the the first week of September '07.

After reading all the reviews here, we where looking forward to our stay, especially the reviews from later this year.

Our stay here was fantastic, though there were not many Brittish there during our week, think the total was 13 not that this mattered, we meet some really nice people there.

The locals here are very friendly and always seemed happy to see us brits.

The resort was mainly filled with French and German people. It wasn't noisey and there was hardly any queuing at the buffet meals. The resort is big, and we got lost on a few times on our first day going back to our room.

The room was very clean, and cleaned every day. infact my bed was changed when the cleaner noticed some damage. Not that I noticed. The room had air conditioning, our room needed a remote to control it, which we did not find out till our second day. So if you don't have a control on the wall you need to ask at reception for a remote which you need to leave a deposit of 10 dinar (at the time) There is a TV in the room, but only 1 English channel which ours didn't have, guess it needed re-tuning but I wasn't there to watch TV.

The buffet meals were good , I've had an all inclusive stay in Cuba where the food was OK and was abit worried, but I was impressed. We had a meal in the Itallian and the Fish restuarnt and they were OK, I preferred the buffet meals. In the mid afternoon, they put on some snacks liek fress pancakes and dohnuts (dohnuts are lovely, there not greasy and taste great)

Soft drinks are OK, not the same taste are the branded drinks in the UK, but not too bad. The Alcohol is OK the lager is nice, but the spirits are a bit weak, so you need lots in a glass and the bartenders will glady keep pouring. You can get bottles of water from the main bar.

There is a small shop where you can buy snacks and juice. They also have plenty of gift items.

pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member faymond03

Booked the holiday quite last minute and when telling people where we were going had some bad reviews so looked on internet that was mixed.
I must say it was perfect. from the staff to other guests to location to just about everything.. I went with partner and 9yr old daughter. Food was plentiful and of a very good standard not many flies but what would you expect ina hot country anyway. beach lovely and plenty of water sports.
hated shopping in the towns though. Am disabled and being stopped and harrassed was very hard for me as I needed to try and stay focused on presents. But thats the culture. Were ripped off at the hotel by the guy that sells the quads though. said he did us a good deal as we booked quads and camels and when we went we were pulled off half hr earlier than others and taken back and told to wait for others before we could have a lift back because we didnt pay same as others. Very
embarassing for the 3 of us. Would have been more than happy to pay full amount.
But complex was brill and would recommend to disabled and family groups...as all rooms are on ground level.

absolutely fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member momm0cat

this was one hell of a holiday perfect resort, beach, food was excellent and so were all the people there. cannot find anything wrong with it at all. in fact its that good me and my hubby r off agen to the same place on the 28th of this month.we went in a family party of 14 and the kids thought it fab as we all did and next yr there will be about 30 of us going also it is disability friendly aswel. the rooms were spotless infact all the resort was. and all the 14nights that we stayed there the entertainment was different evrynite.well worth going it is for evryone .and the prices fer all inclusive were brill i can honestly say there is nothing that i can say negative ab.out the resort

something for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member CathyLancs.

We got a weather report before departure which was not good. That said, we were not prepared for the downpour getting off the plane. We were soaked. Then all the queuing. Standing under the aircraft wing waiting for a bus, to get into the airport terminal, through passport control, getting cases from one conveyor belt with six other flights, through customs, finding coaches as reps did not want to come out from under cover. For a flight that landed on time with a ten minute transfer, we were just over three hours late. Cold, wet and miserable.
So finally, we arrive. We were ushered directly into lunch which was packed to bursting. The service and food was very good considering that the staff were probably surprised at the amount of rain coming down. Hordes of them were scraping it away from the tiled walkways.
Onwards to our rooms. Very nice and comfortable except for the pillows. Too big and hard. Lovely spacious bathroom. Small deposit on beach towels worked out that you paid twenty pounds sterling for two, for a week, changable daily but you only got ten pounds back.
The food for such a big place was extremely good. The drinks were basic but wine was in unopened bottles as was water and was palatable.
Lots of entertainment going on all the time which i found to be too loud during the day around the pool. The animation team worked non stop.
We only stayed a week and unfortunately the weather spoiled it. Three days rain and three days cloudy and sunny. Extremely windy place if not sheltered.
The first time that four of our party of six have gone all inclusive and they were impressed and said it was the thing of the future and they will do it again.
The return journey was as the arrival. Non stop queuing.
An all round holiday. Recommended.

never again

by TripAdvisor Member garyd25

recently stayed at this hotel, was booked for a week but only stayed one night (and this wasn't through choice)
the first room we were shown to was filthy, beds unchanged bathroom unclean, ant colony near the wardrobe and a very suspicious stain on the fold down bed. we were shown to a second room by the manager but unfortunately it wasn't much better, no ants but the state of cleanliness was the same. The manager did not think there was a problem with this room so we called the first choice rep. He got us moved to a third room which in fairness was cleaned but there was a stench in the bathroom that can only be described as raw sewage. As you can imagine this was totally unacceptable, First choice could not get us out of there that night (as it was a Sunday) we moved to another hotel first thing the following morning at a cost of £250 and enjoyed the remainder of our holiday.

Comments