Zone Touristique Dkhila,, Skanes, Monastir, 5000, Tunisia

Satisfaction Average

Costs 77% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Houda Golf and Beach Club

Great staff

I have just spent a week at Houda Beach, flying back to the UK on Christmas day. The accommodation is very clean if a little tired and in need of a lick of paint, however, the service offered by staff in the restaurant and at the bar was second to none. There was a good and varied selection of food available and if you wanted a slight variation, they were happy to accommodate. After 11 in the evening when you suddenly develop the munchies, there is a very friendly chef who prepares a mean pizza to your specification or you can select from a small range of local dishes. The entertainment staff put on a variety of shows in the evening, but the best by far was the show on Christmas eve together with the gala dinner, they really tried hard to give us an evening to remember. Ensure you visit Monastir and Sousse as they are both fairly local and offer a vast array of leather goods and souveniers for very little cost, but don't be afraid to barter. A fellow guest was offered a necklace for 150TD and bartered down to 20TD. I was disappointed at the state of the beach, directly outside the hotel it was very clean but within 500 yards was badly littered and uninviting, this was probably as a result of several of the other hotels not being open during this period. I wouldn't recommend visiting Tunisia at this time of the year as its too cold, unless you are armed with plenty of warm clothes and prepared to spend time away from the complex sightseeing, otherwise your ears will be ringing with the noise of the large numbers of children running around everywhere (restricted to being indoors due to the weather). Cheap, friendly and cheerful accommodation, but probably a lot more appealing when the sun is out, overall good value for money and a place I would stay again. You may wish to take a bottle of whiskey with you as the locals love it but it is very expensive to buy in Tunisia, if you are a smoker, stock up in the duty free lounge before you leave the UK or on your flight. You can purchase cigarettes but they are copies and are like camel dung!

Clean and friendly

We stayed at the Houda over xmas.The previous reviews are spot on. The hotel is spotless and the staff excellent, working their socks off.The food was very good with an extensive choice. Some people complained that there was nothing for their kids to eat but there were chips spaghetti and pizzas always available.One complained that there was no strawberry jam! It is obvious that they have never eaten out in this country.
On the downside, there is absolutely nowhere to walk to around the hotel.In fact, some of the hotels looked derelict and lifeless.There is hardly anywhere for non smokers to sit and the lounge and bar area were a fog sometimes. This is probably not a problem when the weather is warm enought to sit outside.
We paid £160 each to med hotels for our week. For this to include all meals, drinks and a gala dinner was fantastic.

good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member manty1066

we have just returned from 1 week stay at the houda myself and husband plus our 2 children 8 & 3.
we felt the hotel was not too bad but could do with a little TLC which apeared to be happening the day we were leaving. the rooms were basic but clean. the weather was not too good though and we had to stay in most days. when we did get out we were hassled on the beach with the men not leaving you alone and when you did say no they were then targeting the kids which i didn't like. out door slide pool was empty and in need of a clean however it was too cold to go in anyway. the absolute highlight of our holiday was the FOOD which we felt was fabulous my son struggled to fasten his trousers cos he ate that much. the waiters were lovely and nothing was too much effort and they didn't just do it for the money as we never tipped until the last day. i did feel that we were out in the middle of nowhere although we had a walk to a nearby hotel which was nice. in summing this holiday up i'd have to say it was ok the hotel was nice and i did enjoy doing absolutely nothing which to me ( a working mum) is what a holiday is supposed to be however i won't be visiting tunisia again the culture wasn't for me. we travelled via thomson who i felt weren't up to much on resort and if you did decide to take one of their excurtions it was very very expensive a 3 city trip (leave at 9a.m home by 5.00p.m) would have cost the 4 of us £84 which i felt was very very expensive. just remeber its not spain or greece and pack plenty of games etc for the kids and enjoy the relaxed pace.

generally good

by TripAdvisor Member SteveGpt

Arrived late november and was horrified to find that the hotel was like a ghost town with only around 100 people spread out in a very large hotel! Once we'd gotten over the shock, it is a genuinely nice place to stay. The food is reasonable and varied, although I feel it probably would have been better had there been more people in resort. You can't expect them to waste tonnes of food each day just to give us more choice. The bars are good and I never waited more than a minute to get served the whole week. The onsite A/I nightclub is better than some I have paid to get into in the U.K ! The entertainment was a bit poor in the quality stakes but much better in effort, although you could hardly expect them to bring in the proffesionals to entertain the usual crowd of between 15-40 people !!!
The rooms are comfortable and generally very clean, although they do generally need a facelift and a lick of paint here and there. The maze of corridoors getting to some of them reminded me more of a cross between a 1960's hospital and a youth hostal, and they are generally also very poorly lit. The staff here are generally very efficient and friendly, although a few tips here and there helps with some of them. The pool areas and the onsite beach are really very nice, although we didn't have too much opportunity to enjoy them with it being late November ! All in all, there are good and bad points here, but I would rate the hotel very well, and with very good value for money. I would be happy to return, but maybe i'd try it when the weather's a little warmer next time. ! Please feel free to mail me if you have any questions.

It really depends on you!

by TripAdvisor Member kissmecath

This is a hotel that offers it all, if u are willing to take part. we went end of season weather was ok at best, but we have had fantastic time. the entertainment team, are a bit over bearing, but thats us british. they did their job. it really was a fantastic 2wks, and we will go back, i have travelled. this is the cleanest hotel i have ever been in!!! the food has had is critics, well, all i can say is talk to ahmed, the food and drinks manager, he is fantasic, the food is fine, it's not 100%. But then u are going to Africa not spain. Its just different, not bad.
all i will say is, keep an opem mind, if you cant go to spain. This is Tunisia at its best!

If all else fails there is a lady called Jan,she works there and is english... jan if u r reading, we could not find you to take your xm cards.) there is nothing this woman cant fix,trust me.

ladys please dont be taken in by the male chat, apart from that, have a fantasic time, i will be back again!!!!!

Loved the Hotel

I went there in December 2005 for a week with my wife and 2 friends - had a warm welcome though the bellhop expected a tip even though we had no dinars. The food is good but if you are vegetaria you will need to speak to the manager - Ahmed who is very helpful to organise food. The staff are very warm save 1 or 2 reception staff. The best are the animation team who are always happy and hyper despite working long hours. We went when it was quite cold but still had a very good time. One let down was the Tunisia restaurant which you should avoid at all costs. On the whole very enjoyable trip and I wouild definitely go back in warmer months. A big thankyou to Sammy , our waiter, Ahmed the hotel manager and the whole animation team

hated it

went on xmas day,there was no xmas dinner!just normal!the food was terrible,dont know how anyone could say its nice?its the same every day,very basic!the snacks were a joke,if you like spaghetti,pizza,or cobs you will be o.k,the spaghetti was,nt cooked properly,half was still hard,dreaded going to the snack bar,the other snack bar was closed!as for the drinks,they don,t do anything as the vodka and gin is like water!beer is like home brew,the schapps tastes like petrol,only half decent drink is vermouth,cheap version of martini!and vinegar wine!the weather was awful!we were told it would be hot!if you cant sunbathe theres nothing to do whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!all the men out there are proper perverts,hassling all the time!i,m surprised they dont get a punch.also the waiters try to humer you and all there after is your money and your clothes as they will ask you for things after a couple of days when they think your there pal!they cant stand us really,just want your money!i have travelled to many places and i would never ever visit a country like this ever again!the entertainment is very poor,if you have kids or you are middle aged you might be o.k?but poeple with kids were even moaning to us saying it was boring!also theres nothing nearby,we had to resort to getting taxi,s to sousse,which were 15dinar each way,which is 14pounds a night!plus they charge you more for branded drinks!2 straight little bacardi,s cost 7pounds,everything is dearer than england!the shop on the complex charge 1pound each for english chocolate bars,newspapers 1.30! the slide pool outside the hotel has no water in it,the inside pool is like a goldfish bowl!after 3 days of the holiday we rang the rep and told her we was.nt happy at all and woundered what they could do?she told us that if we wanted to leave we would have to pay 140 to vacate room and another 330 for flights home and basically we would lose the holiday.so we were stuck in the holiday from hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!don,t go there,especailly if you don,t like wasting money,its totally ruined my xmas,i would have rather stayed at home we a decent bottle of drink and an indian watching coronation street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HORRENDOUS!!

Absolutely hated the place! Got bored of the same food every day, we were put at the back of the hotel facing a wall-when we had two young children with us and needed to get back for 7-30pm-so we spent our evenings on our holidays watching ......a wall! Staff were obnoxious and rude(in the reception). Would only move us when I beggeg!(and that wasnt til a week into it) Thefts happended whilst we were there, one couple had £800 stolen-their whole holiday money. The hotel was in the middle of nowhere and oposite a building site. The rep talked about nothing but himself, and wasnt interested in anything we went to him with. And to top it all of I couldnt stand the way they treated the animals over their-it was horrendous and made me feel sick. So, each to their own-no I will NEVER step foot in Tunisia again!!!!!

Fantastic family holiday

On arrival a very friendly porter carried our over laden cases a very long way to a room at the very far end of the hotel. The room was superb, a 3 bedroom suite with 2 large bathrooms, however, opening the balcony windows we overlooked the local building site!!! I was gutted and the thought of waking up to drilling etc at 5.00 am made me feel sick. We went straight to reception and told them that the room was not suitable. The reception staff were very friendly and immediately allocated us another room. This room was nearer to the outdoor pools. It was a triple bedroom with two bathrooms which our children were thrilled about. It was very roomy and suited our situation. We have 3 children - this meant our 11 and 7 year old had single beds in the middle room, we had a double with full ensuite, and my teenage son and his own double with ensuite, we all had french doors onto a balcony.

I have to admit the first night was horrible! cross over of flights meant that the dining room was double booked and there was no were to sit and eat until later and after travelling for lots of hours, feeling exhausted, with 3 children we were very worried.

The holiday was much better from the second day onwards. The numbers got less by the day, which meant less stress to get your spot by the pool or in the restaurant.

Our overall impression of this hotel was fantastic - it was enjoyed by all of our family, the children could never say they were bored, as the slide pool was brilliant, the animation team worked above and beyond their call of duty and the facilites available were brilliant.

The food in the restaurant was a very good standard. I know that alot of people had deli beli, but, I have to admit that hygiene was very good and I saw head chefs testing food with heat probes on a regular basis.

On a negative note - the air conditioning in our room did not work which even in October was disappointing as it was about 25 degrees during the night and we did once leave the doors open but were bitten to death my mosquitoes (takes plenty of repellent!)

We wanted a holiday were we could chill for a fortnight in the sun and this holiday lived up to our expectations. The children were constantly entertained, loved the activities and the water park, made lots of friends and we just soaked up the sun, the weather was perfect, sunny with a slight breeze, not too hot, just perfect, got fantastic tans. We all would love to go back.

Remember that Tunisia is bordering on third world, outside your hotel the areas can be very poor and dirty, not a holiday to be walking around visiting bars etc. But if you want to chill by the pool with a hotel with good entertainment for the kids, decent food and drink, clean and friendly staff who work very hard, this is for you. I must admit I don't think I would like to visit in summer as it would be too hot and too full, October was perfect. Happy holidays!!!!

stay away!!!!!!!!

staff are awful, food is unbearable! we went in july and they wouldnt put on the air conditioning, worst two weeks holiday ive ever had,we had ants in our room and the room stank of sewrage but the staff refused to move us saying that the hotel was full, wouldnt go back even if it was for free.

houda golf/beach club.skanes.

by pieeaters

hi.just joined virtual tourist today.ive just booked 2 weeks all inclusive at the houda golf and beach club in skanes for june 2007.just asking if any members have been to this hotel complex recently and could they give me any info/reviews about this resort.ive read a few reviews and they say its great,im going with the wife and son[9years old],my daughter and her boyfriend.thanks for any help.

Re: houda golf/beach club.skanes.

by sunshinehappy

hi, we are about to go back to this hotel for the 3rd time ! we love this hotel - it isnt situated in the greatest place- basically its got the beach on its doorstep but thats about it in skanes- but there is plenty of taxis to take you into monastir or port el kantoui etc , but the hotel is immaculate - the staff are the best you can get super friendly and helpful , food is ok not super but basic hotel kind of variety buffet style, i dont know wether you drink but i can tell you the white wine is the strongest drink for some reason-spirits are a bit weak, evening entertainment is generally hilarious! and after entertainment there is a disco until about 2am - but if this not your thing the lounge bar is very relaxing, not sure what else i can tell you- but if there is anything else i can help with just let me know-hope ive been some help! sunshinehappy

info on the houda golf and beach resort , skanes

by beccyandjohn

can anyone tell me about this hotel or skanes , what curency to get and what trips there are , how much camal rides are and can you do it in skanes , what is the sea like there and can you go snorkling, im going at the beginig of sept will the weather be good , thanks to anyone who replies

Re: info on the houda golf and beach resort , skanes

by dswatt

The currency in Tunisia is the Dinar which can only be exchanged in Tunisia. currency cannot be brought out of Tunisia. The temperature in Sept is around 25C - 30C and sunny almost all the time. Can cool down on the night when sitting outside. Skanes is a couple of miles from Monastir Airport situated between Monastir and Sousse. Hotels are usually very good as most entertainment is based in hotels. The trips are varied from 3 day safari in the desert to bedoiun feast. The feast is recommended if you want to get really drunk on the local wine. A visit to Sousse into the Soukes is an experience, be prepared to barter with the locals. A rough guide to what you can get thing for is 1/3 of what they start at if you are prepared to haggle for a long time and get called a bandit. Spirits are very expensive and if you want to take a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red label Whiskey with you it can be exchanged for a Leather Coat. Don't let them know about the Whiskey until after you agree a price, then the bartering starts all over again. You will have to barter for camel rides and Taxis. Beaches are good and sea is ok and I am not sure about snorkling areas. I hope this has been useful and if I can answer any more questios please ask.
Regards
Dave

houda beach & golf club

by shelleyxx

is anyone going to the houda beach & golf club on May 27th?

Re: houda beach & golf club

by simonrossi

hi.we are going to the houda on the 17th june for 2 weeks so if anyone gives you any info on the houda beach club,i will be looking forward to the replys you get.weve had a few answers to our question about the houda,ie food,entertainment,things to do and they all come back great,you can take a look at the 2nd page on this tunisia forum.hope this helps,simon

Comments