3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Sahara Beach
Travelocity Hotels.com Otel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• stego's Profile Photo

Great swimming pools, excelent value

Being a 3*, so cheap and so big (more than 500 rooms, I think), we weren't expecting much, but we had a really nice surprise!

The pools are something like I only had seen in the Caribean. Don't expect any luxury (the room where I staied had no TV, for instance) and the animation at night can be considered poor. I don't pay much attention to that, anyway.

Great for the kids, as the kids' animation staff does a great job, with free activities and guard all day long and show where every child can participate in the evening.

The beach is awsome, with clean and warm water and sand. We had many days with jellyfish, which was a major annoyance, but I guess that it was bad luck and the hotel can't be hold responsible for that.

Food ok, perhaps a little bit monotonous after 5 or 6 days in an all inclusive deal, nothing to remember for good or for bad.

After 08:30 it was difficult to get/reserve (with a towel) a chair and umbrella at the pools. The same for the beach a little bit later.

The staff was kind, if not allways very eficient.

There is a small mini-zoo in the gardens.

Unique Quality: Swimming pools like I haven't seen anywhere else. And I have seen a couple of ones that impress me in Cuba and the Dominican Republic!

Great for kids.

• RPW's Profile Photo

Sahara Beach Complex

Extremely large hotel, lots of facilities, all rooms very well presented, all with sea views - even if you have to stretch slightly. Ample entertainment in the evening, when I went we were advised not to leave the hotel grounds in the evening, so there is always something on to keep you occupied

More about Iberostar Sahara Beach

10 out of 10 Sahara Beach

Jo & Denize, South Wales. 19-26 April 2005. Panorama Holidays (Edwina and Mary Frances our reps)

When we first read reports on this Hotel, we were expecting to say the least the Hotel From Hell. On arival 2am delayed flight we were greeted with the friendliest smile ever from the man on reception and things just got better from there. We were helped to our rooms and given our All inclusive Cards and a drink on arrival.

My best mate and I can only say THANKYOU to everyone at the hotel. I can imagine in the peak season the hotel being like Butlins, we went therefore out of season because thats not what we wanted. If you want a holiday that serves English food and drink then go to Blackpool, because thats not what you will get. If you want to sample Tunisian food and at least 5 other choices then ok. The hotel is immaculate and yes some areas need a slight paint job but it was never dirty, no rats & lots of cats outside the hotel. The staff always polite, courteous and smiling and cannot do enough to help you. The entertainment for the kids is great and if you like fun then BoBo, etc from the entertainment team will try to get all the adults involved, The place is what you make it. If you want to be boring and not join in then do so etc.

A question that kept arising was do we have to tip them?? You dont have to but, Yes they do deserved to be tipped if you think they are worth it as we would not get out of bed for work for what they earn. We would earn more in 1 hr then they do in a day and they work ---- hard for their money most of them 12/15 hour shifts. We spent both our birthdays at the Hotel and found flowers in our room from the cleaner as he heard about it. Nice touch.

The reps cabaret night is a definate must we didnt stop laughing, also the Land of the Bedwins Tour, Great made you feel real relaxed,

Yes the guys can charmed the birds out of the trees and if you fall for it more fool you!!!. But harmless fun and flirting goes a long way as does a smile and good morning!!!. We arrived home yesterday and rebooked to go in October. Thanks Sahara Beach you made our holiday. Also thanks to Edwina and Mary Frances our reps. Great Birthday Party!!!!!

A reasonable Hotel.

by tucha about Club Marmara Tropicana

Well, this is a 3 star Hotel, in Skanés, near to Monastir.
It is a Hotel from a chain francaise, called "Marmara" , and because of that it is until the time I was there , exclusive for the french people. Now it starts to receive portuguese people as well.
It is in a quiet zone, next to Hotel Sahara Beach, from Iberostar. Next to the Hotel there are only other Hotels and a gsoline station (Shell), 400 meters away.
The rooms were ok..nothing special and the food could be much better. The interior of the Hotel was poor, but the outside is very good. The roms are in the middle of gardins, it has a great outside smiming-pool, 3 tennis camps, indoor pool, and was near a wonderful beach...200 meters away from the swiming-pool.
It has a disco and every night we had animation from the staff.
During the day there are also activites in the beach like volleyball, and ind the swiming pool too, like water polo, and aquagim.

Typical Tourist Hotel

by stefank60 about Sahara Beach Hotel

***Warning*** I have read some very bad reports on this hotel elsewhere on the web so suggest if you consider it you do plenty more research first. My comments below are based on my visit but bear in mind this was some 23 years ago and it sounds like things may have gone down hill considerably since.

This is a typical tourist hotel (Id say approx 3 star). It is rather large with approx 1000 rooms in 3 blocks.

The accommodation was OK but nothing spectacular and the food edible while again nothing to get excited about. It has it's own beach and is a reasonable choice for people wishing to just lie in the sun for 7/14 days Pool, own beach. really fairly typical tourist hotel in a tourist resort. Nothing spectacular.

this link will give you some pictures of the hotel

Route Touristique, Monastir/Skanes, Tunisia. Tel: +216 3 461088. 3 Stars.

excellent!!!!

i am writing this in response to all the snobby people who have written some awful things about this hotel, my husband and i are well travelled people with two children , we travelled to the same hotel sahara beach in 2000 and it was great there was nothing you could fault and we had a wonderful holiday , whilst this may seem some time ago we understand it has been re vamped since then so should be even better. people who moan about screaming kids should go on adult only holidays. repetitive food? if you spent a week at butlins you would get repetitive food. queues? everywhere all over the world there are queues, i just think that some people forget that some countries are not as advanced as ours the beauty of going on holiday is that it is not the same as being at home.we are due to go again tommorrow and are looking forward to it.

Pretty awful

by TripAdvisor Member john9159

I have to agree with the reviewers from Wales, England and Scotland with their candid and accurate description of this hotel. I've stayed in Arab hotels in Morocco with no star ratings and they were more enjoyable than this joint.

I went alone for 7 nights in December 2004 for what I thought would be an inexpensive and enjoyable holiday at the Sahara Beach hotel. It was not cheap as tour operators (Thomsons in this case) give no discounts for single travellers.

The hotel comprises three huge tower blocks with 1042 rooms in total; this should give people an idea that it isn't going to be a quiet place. It can be very noisy if you are located close to the disco. There was no TV in the room which was small with little space around the bed. The door to the balcony had a broken lock and so rattled when the wind got up, this was a common problem in many of the rooms I was told. Sadly, Iberostar, who took over the hotel some years ago, failed to invest by upgrading this hotel and allowed the previous owners to run the hotel, hence there has been no change unlike other Iberostar hotels which are far superior.

The view from the room was impressive as it is very close to the beach and had panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea. Half of the rooms do not get any sun as one side of the blocks face east so that the other gets no sun.

Unlike the name suggests, this is not located in Monastir but Skanes; Monastir is the central town located 10Km from the hotel. Most of the desk staff are quite surly and unhelpful and do not wish to engage in conversation, only giving short, sharp answers when questioned.

If you take cash, this can be exchanged at the desk for around 2.28 Dinars to the English Pound. Travellers cheques will attract a commission to convert. For users of the Maestro cash-machine card beware, there are no cash machines that will accept this, only Visa or Mastercard machines which are expensive in commission rates.

Breakfast in the large restaurant area is not a pleasant experience as there is little variety from one day to the next and some people do tend to be rude by pushing or refusing to allow you access to the food, which most of the time is just warm, the scrambled egg resembled sponge cake, coffee was so strong you have to water it down with copious amounts of water, the cake and croissant were passable and you could have as much as you like. Evening meals are mostly meat oriented but ther is a small separate area for vegetarians. Most of the food is based around national dishes, chips and fish of poor quality for the British and sausage for the Germans. Not much change day-to-day.

If you tire of the hotel restaurant you could try El Campo on the ground floor leading to the restaurant, you will have to pay in there and whilst again the food is not brilliant, it does offer something different such as pizza's, spagetti bolognase and pasta.

This hotel is ideally suited for families with small children who want to stay by the pool all day, there are several outdoor pools and an indoor heated pool with play areas for the kids and direct access to the beach.

If, like me, you want to see the surrounding area, then stay away as there isn't a surronding area! It may have 25Km of beach but with nothing there except hotels you will have to do some travelling. In this respect, Skanes has a rail network which is incredibly cheap and will take you to the popular destinations of Monastir town (10Km away) which has attractions such as souvenir shops, cafe's, market on a Saturday but not much else. Prices in the souvenir shops are extortionate!

Sousse is also worth a visit, 10Km in the opposite direction. This has lots of cafe's, restaurants, shoe shops, leather crafts etc and is a holiday destination itself with many hotels. Consider this in preference to Skanes. The souk in Sousse is fantastic, so much to see and remember to haggle.The fare to either will be about 2D (£0.80 or €1.20) by rail or 4D (£1.75 or €2.60) by taxi. If you want to go further you may wish to try Mahdia. This is a fishing town about 1.5 hours travelling time by rail at a cost of 2.25D (£0.98 or €1.50). It's rather a sleepy place as most of the activity centres around fishing. There is a small souk but whilst there, you should try the spicey Merguez sausage sandwich. Friday is busy as this is market day.

Just on the outskirts of the hotel compound is a small town called Sahline (pronounced Saleen). I got lost there one dark evening on my return from Sousse and because of that I was determined to go and see it in the daytime. It's about 15 minutes walk, just ask at the gates how to get there or get a cab or carriage. It's genuine Tunisia as they don't get many foreigners there. you can stop at a cafe for coffee, cakes, kebabs etc.

At lunch times I've had shish kebabs off the street vendors and they were pretty good.

Thomsons do not have many worthwhile excursions, one was cancelled and 6 months later I have still not had a refund. A day trip to Tunis was disappointing as we were not allowed off the coach, only at the museum of antiquities and Carthage; furthermore we were starved at lunchtime as we were given chopped tomato and cucmber on a small lettuce leaf with a thin slice of boiled egg and one olive followed by bread and bread-coated chicken just like you would find in the supermarket. dessert was an apple.

There are ancient Roman ruins in Kairouan but these areas are only accessible by taxi or louage (shared mini-bus) which works out quite cheap as the fare is shared between the passengers.

It helps to speak French here but English is widespread with the local traders, taxi drivers, hotels, restaurants etc.

If you want more info on Tunisia try the excellent official website at --- where you can request brochures and guides. All the information is very impressive but sadly the country disappoints.

Good Value for Money - Great for kids

by TripAdvisor Member davidreiling

Having been to Tunisia before I new what to expect - please dont expect spain greece or italy or you will be dissappointed. The hotel is good value for money, the food was excellent although occasionally on the warm side and not as hot as it could be but that is soon remedied by waiting for the hot stuff coming out. The veal, fish and Tunisian fare is wonderful and could not be faulted - the range of desserts was quite good with a pleantiful supply of fresh fruit. Drinking is a little different as the card system for AI is cumbersome and the measures are small. In high season i would warn people that it will become very congested with over 4000 people and queuing is the norm. The rooms were adequate and a little on the small side but be wanred that if you like a shower the showers are hand held and not wall mounted and generally leads to baths being taken. Avoid the 1st and second floors as they are prone to noise form the Skanes bar and the nigtclub. The best bar for my part was the piano bar - non smoking and under 16s barred. Music was supplied here with a good duet. The bar 51 boat is chargeable. A number of watersports are available and included in AI but is usually dependent on your travel company. A go karting track is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel gates and terrific value at £5 for 15 mins. A 2 story shop is just a little further away and is better value as toiletries, crisps and other sweets are extortionate at the hotel shops. The entertainement team are brilliant and couldnt be faulted - the best we have ever seen and kids will love them - notable members are samir, rio, tito(Aah Jaa Jaa), Bobo, ChouChou and not forgetting the stunning Leila and Zawha. Plenty of things for all to do if the sun is out although at this time of year you do tend to get hot sun and much cooler cloudy days at about 50/50. The staff are always helpful with a smile and a hello and we werent pestered for tips as is normal. Only tip if you think they are worthy of it and in my experience here they are. Mohammed Khalfi was our meal waiter was charming and very helpful. Hotel desperately needs a gym and an internet cafe. But be warned there is nothing outside of the hotel without going into Sousse Monastir or Port el Kantouie. The 3 Pools, extensive gardens, toilets, fun facilities and beach are brilliant and very well maintained - not a cockroach to be seen. Have fun - we did - but barter hard especially at the market in the hotel on a friday.

Remember you go 3 star you get 3 star

by TripAdvisor Member Irenest

We went at Easter for 1 week.

Am a bit sick of all the bad reviews about this hotel why book 3 star and expect 5 stars. Ok food is not overally exciting but you will get enought to do no one will go hungry.

This is my 3rd time at an Iberostar hotel and I can assure anyone they are well run, with clean rooms, beautiful grounds and in general good servive.

The only real problem I had with this property was the Tunisian waiters they hung about for a tip this annoyed me as I am happy to tip for good pleasant service but do not like to feel pressurised to do so.

Many people felt the same and we all believed that they actually put you of tipping because of this.

Apart from this go enjoy the culture and the experience.

For a 3 star, good

For a three star hotel, good. previous holiday at been in Mexico so at first it was bit of a let down. But after first day settled in and the holiday was very good, didn't want to come home. Read previous reviews I saw no rats, Flys waht flys but remeber you are in Africa, food was good, a bit greasy but your on holiday, but yes the place is smoky and I smoke!! Evening entertainment was ok but apparently in the summer they have an outdoor bit, so would be better.

The waiter for table 61 was excellent! Weather was good, had only one grey day.

We went with First choice and the reps Sally and Shaun were excellent, I recommend the Wednesday evening Lights Camera Action night very funny. The pirates and El jem day was also excellent, got to see Dolphins in the see and not in some pool.

Overall the holiday cost £650.00 for 3, so a good holiday it isn't a 4 star hotel, but for value for money it was excellent.

Hotel Sahara BeachHotel Sahara Beach

iberostar sahara beach hotel,

by jordon

could any members please give me any info on this hotel if possible.ive read a few articles on it and they are good.any more tips or info would be grateful.thanks.ps.thinking of booking for july o6,two adults.1 child who is 9.cheers.

RE: iberostar sahara beach hotel,

by FAQ_Tunisia

Hi,
If u re talking about the sahara beach hotel in The monastir zone (near of the airport) situated in the right middle time between sousse and monastir, with a nice swim pool, a great disco, but also considerablely huge, it is able to host 2400 person, so compaired to other hotels in the same zone it is the biggest, Normally they always book alll-inclusive board, so u won't have to pay anyextra fees even for the bar, all drinks are included in the original fees u would pay, for ure child there is the mini-club, a kind of a club with animation for children sduring the day, so the parents can have a walk or a tour.
P.S: I was living in the village of "Sahline" 1 km from this hotel, this was 4 years ago, so all i know about this hotel is dated of 2001.
enjoy ure trip

by jordon

thanks for your reply.it is the sahara beach hotel in skanes i wanted to know about,we have now booked all inc. for 2 weeks in july 2006,thanks.

by FAQ_Tunisia

hi jordon,
so we were on the same page, it is the same i was talking about there is no other hotel ,named Hotel sahara beach, in the neiboughrhood.
enjoy ure trip

by jordon

yes it is the sahara beach in skanes,the reviews look good and resort sounds lively,which we want,thanks for your help.

RE: iberostar sahara beach hotel,

by Eddie101

Yea stayed there also, but quite awhile ago now. It consists of 3 blocks and if my memory serves me right at least 2 large entertainment rooms offering different shows and early times for kids. Nicely laid out gardens leading onto the beach,sports ground and great pools. Plenty to keep kids amused. Not sure if it's a seasonal thing, but there was a problem with jellyfish while i was there, quite a few kids and adults getting zapped, nothing serious but painful just the same. Maybe worth asking if there are any reports before letting your child play in the sea.

Comments