Skanes Beach, Monastir, Tunisia

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ramada Liberty Resort Hotel

Very good Hotel For the price

by TripAdvisor Member danny2156

After getting a great deal at the hotel, I read the reviews on this site and became a little bit worried.But, the hotel was very good and would recomend it to anyone. We are contemplating going back there again maybe next year.The all inclusive option if good, there are hardly any queues for the drinks, and there is even a bar at the beach. The food is ok and you will always manage to find something to eat. Even my kids managed to find things they liked.
The pool is brilliant and big, the animation team are fantastic and the kids love them. Mr Allo was our favourite.I would reccomend this hotel and Tunisia in general.
If you like lager louts, enjoy being surrounded by English people then go to Spain, if you fancy something a bit different then come to Tunisia. The weather is great and the people are very friendly. The staff at the hotel are all fine, I suppose if you treat them like dirt, then they would do the same. so please ignore some reviews and have a great time at this hotel.Finally, the people in the hotel who try ansd sell things do become annoying, but just be firm woth them and they should leave you alone.

Don't Go!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lawren

After booking a last minute deal, i read the reviews on this site and took them all with a pinch of salt. I wish i had taken notice and cancelled the holiday!

The food was awful to say the least, it made us literally sick!! We spent most of our spending money buying 'real' food from the pizzeria on site, which was lovely.

A member of staff confided he would never eat that c**p!!

Our room was lovely and so was the pool, unfortunately these both wore a bit thin after two days. There is NOTHING to do! The American bar is the shape of a bird cage and not much bigger, and the music is very hit and miss. The 'nightclub' has no bar and is for children!!!

Our main complaint would definitely be the staff, i could list hundreds of complaints, but in a nutshell, they can't stand the British. They are rude and will think nothing of ignoring you at the bar. The way they treated us was disgusting. And if you are black please be aware they obviously don't like black people and don't hide it. I am white and my partner is black and we were treated like second class citizens!!

Health and Safety are at the bottom of this hotels list and i would be weary in every way i.e electrics, cars, pools etc. We witnessed the 'pool man' throwing balls of what i imagine was chlorine?? into the pool at night. Obviously unmeasured and a danger to anyone if they fail to disolve.

I could write war and peace about this hotel. If i knew then what i know now i really would have cancelled, even at the loss of money. If you think going here will give you a taste of Africa you are wrong. Tunisia is pretty, but boring. Brits aren't welcome so don't waste your money. Especially on this hotel.

the truth, the whole truth and nothing but!!!

by TripAdvisor Member andrewgege

Well if you are planning to book a holiday at this hotel please read this first as a insight is better then a downsight once you get there. Me and my 3 friends book this through Travel OX from Teletext about £370 all inclusive if you are looking for a guide price. No Inflight Meals and no transfers. Better with no transfers as you should only pay about 5-10 dinar to get to the hotel. but be warned it is a risk as there are about 20 men out there surrounding you to make a decision intimidation at its finest.

This is a 3* Bronze rating hotel this means NO Spirits free at all free coke, sprite, fruit juice, beer, wine and cocktails (with bhuka local spirit) and bottled water which is the best part still or fizzy. Breakfast lunch dinner, snacks between 11-12pm in pizzaria, ice cream litterally for the kids NO adults allowed. Cut off time is 2200hrs no leway even if you are stood in the queue. You get a card which has to be used everytime and no more than 4 drinks at a time but they will always give you a bottle of water if you ask for it. (per card) Rooms are adequate cleaned daily i would atleast take a couple of towels with you as sometimes we went short.

Please bare in mind we are very adveturous well travelled, well eaten and dont like to complain.

Bfast: basic but adequate not your fry up which i hope you wouldnt expect anyway

Lunch: Vile, Minging how ever you want to say it sometimes chips which in the end we prayed for. Pasta in a tomatoe sauce (everysingle meal time), Mini Beefburgers Chicken (most meats not to well cooked) in the end we just stopped going in wasnt worth it.

Dinner: Again Vile Rabbit stew, sea food stew (incl squid, snails, ocotpus) in a gravy. Chicken (if it was chicken wrong colour for me) which wasnt cooked please if you cant cook pieces of chicken the size of a finger whats the point. More pasta and rice and goulash types of meals. Totally catered for the continental visitor

All we ate was pasta, bread and potatoes no good if you are on atkins diet. And we splashed out on a pizza when we were hungry.

All meals the selecton of fruit was nice and cakes and deserts were ok. You can get drinks in the dinning hall. The BBQ place by the pool is NOT free the Pizzaria other than the times stated is definately not free ice creams are NOT free.

Liberty hotel is a very nice hotel the pool is gorgeous it is litterally a 2 min walk to the beach through the sister hotel neptunia (half board only) the beach is lovely other than, like everyone says the seaweed, this is bareable though not to bad when you get further out, there is a bar down on the private beach were you can get drinks. the lucky lucky men never take anything from them unless you want to buy. Lots of Water sports there but again expect to pay for everything.

Ali Baba Tours was ok just tll them to go away and make no comitments they work on commision and remind me of the people that ring you up and badger you to buy double glazing. but the private galleon was a good half a day out.

To be honest i could go on but here are a few outlines to deter you from going to this hotel unexpecting the reality of it. Like most people have said the staff in this hotel are its downfall. Horrible if you are not french or german dont bother in the end we had to order our drinks in german just to get some attention they would ignore you as soon as they know you are english. The annimation team were ok they tried. The american bar is like the size of a hotel room, drinks much more expensive than outside the hotel but still cheaper than england. Monistair is best for gifts Sousse has the bigger madina (be prepared BIG TIME). Dont let the taxi drivers take the mick. And the miami centre is ok for bits this cost us 7 dinars round trip but in comparison is a bit expensive and he waited but cheaper is down in monistair it is like a real supermarket. Well i hope this helps you make a decision. Cheers.

loved all of it

by TripAdvisor Member yealand

i have been to this hotel several times, the rooms are a nice size and cleaned every day and clean towels provided. the food is not brilliant but i am sure you will find something to eat. you wont go hungry, the animation team welcome you to join in the days activities if you like but if not you are not hassled to join them. the shows they put on in the evening are quiet good. childrens disco first, the pools are well looked after. it is easy to get into sousse or monastir for shopping, buses outside the door and very cheap, you will be approached from people who work inside the hotel to go on camel rides, quad bikes and to go for a massage, if you dont want to go a polite no thankyou is all it takes. and on a previous review it was stated that they dont like black people or the british. sorry but unless they cant see several of the staff are black and tunisian, so i must dissagree with that comment, also i have not heard one person say that they have not been made to feel welcome. it is always resonably priced holiday, dont worry just go and enjoy yourself.

look at hotels in hammemt no supermarkets or bars for miles

by TripAdvisor Member lesoranges

well what can i say about the liberty hotel. the good points its clean. pool is good for kids and that is about it. Food is bland rice bread and paste some sort of meat in a sauce one type of fruit. no snacks or ice cream for the kid around the pool, the hotal is in the middle of nowhere so its a taxi out of the hole to get to a shop bars or for food which you will have to do. i tip the waiter in the hotel to get me some real food (steak)

Give Liberty Hotel a miss

by TripAdvisor Member abbi-dabbi

I have just returned from the Liberty Hotel, Skanes, Tunisia, a supposed 3 star superior hotel. This is the worst all-inclusive holiday I have had the misfortune to book. The food was diabolical; items not eaten at one meal were re-heated or made into soup for the next. The all-inclusive was a joke. The bar stopped serving at 10pm, any one requiring a soft or alcoholic drink after that time had to pay for it. The only alcoholic drinks available were local red or white wine, lager or a choice of 2 local cocktails.
The hotel was over run by flies, not only were they all over the reception area and tables but in the dining area and crawling across food waiting to be served.
We were misled by the descriptions given, snacks and sandwiches were not available as part of the all inclusive package, the walk to the beach was not 150 metres, but over a road, through another hotel and then around their pool area to some steps down to the beach

Poor Value For Money!

by TripAdvisor Member Mark_Witham

I stayed at this hotel between 24th September and 1st October, 2006. I was an all-inclusive guest and I did the booking direct with the hotel.

My first impression of the hotel was that it was an excellent establishment and that is still my opinion, but only for the hotel. Everything else is not included.

I found that the limitations on the all-inclusive card were too restrictive and the choices were very limited. Out of the 2 bars only one was available for the all-inclusive guest as the American Bar was 'off limits' and nothing could be gained from this bar.

The inclusive hours were also restrictive from 10:00am until 10:00pm. The hotel put this down to the operating company MedHotels, but I weren't booked through this organisation nor were I under any contract with them.

Other things that were quickly realised was the quality and choice of food. The food was very poor in quality and the choice was sometimes (but not all of the time) very limited. At best the choice was about 3 dishes at worst one dish. The food was not appertising and I spent extra money at the Hotel Sahara Beach buying more food as I would have went hungry if I did not.

Other guests made similar observations about the services offered to the all-inclusive guest.

I spoke to the General Manager Mr. Karoui and he admitted that the choices were bad. He added "It is hoped that after refurbishment and upgrade to 4 star that the services will improve to the good". The Hotel closes on 1st November for this refurbishment and opens early next year on or around 1st April.

I can only say I wait with baited breath for this improvement.

Generally the hotel, the accommodation and facilities cannot be faulted and it is a shame that the thing to let this hotel down is the poor value for money, the poor food and the poor choices open to the all-inclusive guest.

This hotel is great for kids, the elderly and with a little dificulty in places the disabled patron can enjoy this hotel.

I find no fault with the entertainment and will say that because of the multinational residencey it must be expected that a bit of mime will come to the forefront. The Animation Team work hard to provide and with all amatuer performers slip-ups and mistakes are bound to happen. Even I when I took part in the shows found the work very hard.

In brief, this hotel has one of the best line ups of facilities for a 3 star hotel, and can only improve when they upgrade this hotel later this year. The only things to let the hotel down is the poor food, poor value for money, and the all-inclusive choices.

I found the staff to be very helpful and courteous.

Until it has been upgraded, make the best of what you can, complain if you need to as this will be looked at during the upgrade.

Read This!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ms_Geary

We have just returned from a week of 'winter sun' , before booking a holiday as a late deal I was careful to read reviews on the hotels etc, having read reviews for several Tunisian hotals was beginning to wonder if any of them were any good, then found a deal for the Liberty, the reviews were mixed but we decided to go for it anyway.
The bad reviews for this hotel are not deserved, the rooms are basic but kept clean, no problems with towels and toilet paper as others have reported. The food was fantastic. plenty of variety at every meal time, but even as we were there people eating the same food were saying it was awful, all I can say is that if you want burger and chips don't go there!!!!!
The pool is fantastic, much bigger than the other nearby hotels and kept very clean (also not too much chlorine).
The staff don't speak the best English but they try hard to understand and be understood and are friendly (ok there was the odd surly waiter but you'd be miserable too if you had to work and everyone else there is on holiday).
The location is a bit sparse, only other hotels really, it's close to the airport but we didn't really hear the planes. The beach is not very pretty or particularly clean so I wouldn't recommend this if you want a beach holiday but if what you want is to go and lie by a pool and relax in a nice environment and have a good holiday then I totally recommend the Liberty.

Absolutely fine hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Poni

I went to the Liberty for a week 8-15th October. I find the negative reviews very strange because I am a very fussy person, and I found everything fine.

I admit the staff probably treated us better because we spoke to them in French - but we also tipped and were polite which I think goes a long way. Our waiter even arranged for us to have steak on the house one lunchtime. I didn't see any flies inside really.

The hotel was meticulously clean so I didn't mind that it was a little worn looking. Shame that it was twin beds, not double, but that might be usual over there. The pool was actually quite beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed my pre-dinner lengths when everyone else had cleared off to have a drink. Also great if you love cats as there are quite a few tom kittens and cats living in the hotel gardens, some of whom enjoyed a cuddle and sleep on my sun lounger!

The staff were lovely. The boys who run the hotel shop, the masseuse, the shisha cafe guy, the guys who do the entertainment stuff -all very polite and helpful.

The night time entertainment wasn't my cup of tea - but I was touched at the effort the boys put into preparing their shows. They have loads of energy and are out dancing every night in the American bar.

You can hope in a taxi and get to Monastir, Sousse or Port El Kantoui for about 8 dinar so you needn't feel too stranded. I highly recommend that women cover up their bodies if you want people to be polite to you - it's only natural that the men don't know how to behave towards a woman in shorts and a vest top.

All in all - a good, relaxing, sunny, cheap holiday with perfectly good food.

fantastic experience

by TripAdvisor Member elainehorn

We stayed at the Liberty from 14th - 22nd Oct 2006 with our twin 9 yr old boys and would recommend it to all people who are willing to experience Tunisian culture, our room with a sea- view was spacious and comfortable and the towels were changed on a daily basis, there was always a good supply of toilet paper and the beds were made up every day. The hotel pools are lovely and are spotlessly clean and we had no trouble finding a nice spot to sun bathe. The reception area of the hotel is a great meeting place where the hotel staff love to come and chat to you to improve their English and to tell you of their ways, they are not pushy and all that is needed to get good service from them, is to be polite and say please and thank you, there were only a few English there when we were, and one couple was quite rude to the waiters and couldn't understand why they weren't being treated like the other guests...SIMPLE...if you treat the waiters like slaves and like dirt then dont go to Tunisia because they will treat you in the same way..be courteous to them and they will go out of their way to give you fantastic service..the exceptions being the head barman and the head waiter..who clearly do not like the English but if you bung them 10 dinars at the beginning of your holiday they will be good to you. We recommend Ali Baba's camel trip if you have plenty of padding on your backside! The ride seems to go on for ever and there are hidden charges which you dont know about until you are already there.

Now the food ... I wasnt too keen at getting the same choices virtually everyday however I could always find something...but my husband loved the differant tastes and always piled his plate with something.. even the children liked the food and never went hungry. If you ask the children what the best thing about the Liberty apart from the pool they will undoubtedly say that it is the entertainment programme ..they loved the daily activities with Mr Ello especially the water polo and the mini disco in the evening..not my cup of tea but all credit to the team for their enthusiasm and stamina. After reading some of the reviews before we went I was quite worried especially about the food and the service...but believe me when I say it is a good value for money family holiday..we made friends with many nationalities Dutch, German, Italian, French and of course Tunisian. If you do go to the Liberty be prepared to chill out and accept their way of life otherwise you would be better off going to Benidorm or Blackpool

Comments