Sol El Mouradi Skanes

(formerly Sol El Mouradi Skanes), Zone Touristique Skanes, Monastir, 5000, Tunisia
El Mouradi Skanes
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sol El Mouradi Skanes

Skanes Hotel

by miman about Sol El Mouradi Skanes

The Sol El Mouradi Skanes Resort is located in the tourist resort of Dkhila en Monastir. It overlooks the sea and has direct access to a magnificent beach. Completely refurbished in 2002.

Rooms
* 505 Rooms distributed on 4 floors: 402 double rooms, 53 triple rooms, 48 Junior Suites (40 m2) and 2 Presidential Suites (60 m2) with sea views
* Family rooms with connecting door
* Terrace/Balcony with views of the sea, the pool or the hotel's beautiful gardens
* Fully equipped bathroom

* Boutique
* Gift and newspaper shop
* Hairdresser
* Laundry service
* Doctor and baby-sitting service (on request)
* Car park
* Supermarket and pharmacy near the hotel

Restaurants and bars
* Restaurant Tulipe serves an extensive buffet with show-cooking for breakfast, lunch and dinner
* Restaurant Marguerite with barbecued specialities
* Cafeteria/Pizzeria Narcisse, ideal for lunch and coffee with waiter service both indoors and on the outdoor terrace
* Arabian Café Jacinthe
* Pool bar
* Beach bar
* American Bar Orchidée
* Lobby Bar
* Night Club open from 11pm to 2am

Leisure
* 2 Outdoor swimming pools with children's section surrounded by 55,000 m2 of beautiful gardens
* Heated indoor pool
* Sunbeds, sunshades and towels (with deposit)
* Mini Club (5 12 years), Teenagers' Club (10 17 years) and Mini Disco
* Water sports: Surfing, pedalos, sailing, canoes, jet skis, water skiing and diving (extra charge)
* Complete Spa Centre with high pressure showers, hydromassage, lymphatic drainage, aromatherapy and criotherapy, mud and alga baths, etc. (extra charge)
* Hammam with sauna and jacuzzi
* Fitness Centre

* Large, fully equipped conference room with capacity for up to 550 people
* 3 Meeting rooms

Arrival By Plane

by cheekymarieh

Monastir airport is one of the most efficient airports that I have visited. Four times now I have been out of the airport complete with luggage and some currecncy changed within half an hour of landing. It is a modern airport and has never been excessively busy while I have been there. The airport is used by many of the major charter companies from the UK such as Thomsonfly and Mytravel. There are also charter flights from countries such as Poland, Germany, France, Holland, Finland and Italy.

Ther are many facilities at the airport including: Post Office, Bureau de Changes, Restaurants, Cafeterias, Bars, Duty Free Shop, Newsagent, Gift Shop, Travel Agent, Tourist Information Desk, Car Rental Facilities, and Taxi Rank. Just outside the airport there is a railway station with trains that run towards Sousse and Monastir. If you are taking a taxi to Skanes area, expect to pay no more than 10 dinars for the trip.

One little word of warning, there seems to be an endless supply of mosquitos waiting to bite you just outside the airport. They gave me a nice leaving present on my last but one trip!

The city of the first President

by aliante1981

Monastir is linked with the first president of Tunisia - Habib Bourguiba

SO WHAT MONASTIR ACTUALLY IS, OR AN OFFICIAL VIEW

Monastir, Latin Ruspinum - city, eastern Tunisia. It lies at the tip of a small peninsula protruding into the Mediterranean Sea between the Gulf of Hammamet and the Bay of Monastir. The ruins of Ruspinum, a Phoenician and Roman settlement, are 3 miles (5 km) to the west of the city. Monastir is now a port and, with adjacent Skanes, forms a fashionable beach resort complex that is served by an international airport. Its industries include textile milling (especially wool) and the manufacture of salt, soap, and olive oil. The city has a noted ribat (monastery-fortress), founded in AD 180, to which it owes its name; several old mosques; and a modern mosque, completed in 1968 and dedicated to Tunisia's first president, Habib Bourguiba, who was born in Monastir. Pop. (1989 est.) 47,807. This description comes from Britannica 2003

Tunesia in a week

by sundancekid

"Monastire"

My plane landed in Monastire Skanes airport. From there the city was easily reached by train, or if you are luckier than me, and book a hotel, by Shuttle bus. Monastire is a medium sized city with a medina (market labyrinth), a mochee and an old Spanish fortification. In the centre of the Medina there is a little square with some shops and thea houses, with very lively waiters (who charge at least double to tourists). I arrived there in the evening and strolled up and down the city, which was relatively quit at that time. The next mornig I had the shock of my life when I strolled the same route. They dragged me into their stores and I had to buy something, because I wass the first costumer, I had special prizes, at least half of the prizes for other tourists, and still I could haggle 90% off....

Haggling.... a beautifull thing, that's what I missed the most when I got back home. I imagined myself standing in supermarket and negotiate the price with the lady behind the counter.

"Kebili"

After one day in Monastire, I took a shared cab (of which I forgot the name) to Kebili, a 6 hour ride. The shared taxis are amazing, for this ride I payed about 18 Dinar, about 12 Euro. Meet some people, have no trouble with police, listen to very loud Raii musik.... very nice!!

In Kebili I had a little hotel room, I was the only one there. Tourism fell on its ass after 9.11.

That evening I made a walk in the direction of the desert, where I was stopped by a guy who said that he was a police officer and I should come with him.... not in the direction of the city, but away from it. Didn't trust him for a worth and started to argue. Told him we should go to the town and I wanted to ask another police officer in uniform that looked more thrustworthy.... 'Ahhh, no no, made a mistake, I'm looking for somebody else'..... yeah..... Another practical training in assertivity.

That evening I met some guys, a bit younger than me, with whome I had a drink... very funny, they explained me a lot about this city and wanted to take me into the desert the next day, their uncle was herding dromedaries. So the next day I was picked up by them, had to sit on the back of their scooters (which had a quit amazing top-speed!!!) and we first drank some thea in one of the guys' home. He had a beautifull sister, lithe and lissom, her hairs were of the deepest black like a universe sprangling with stars. She was about 14, maybe 16 but not older, and very shy. I could feel the marbles in her eyes when she glanced in my direction.... amazing.

Then the trip began... with 80 kmph through the desertsand. Every moment it felt like I was falling off, every moment after that moment we were stable but leaning to the other side. The dromedaries were there and there was a little oasis that was drying out (which seems to be the problem with most of the oasises near the villages). My idea on that was that they shouldn't run three fountains in that little town (especially when there are no tourists anyway...). Unfortunately I didn't visit the old city, that was left to it's decline. It wasn't that old, but a wrong mix of materials was used when it was built, so after a few years the houses were not safe to live in anymore, now it was kind of a gohsttown next to the inhabited part.

RUDIEKE's new Tunisia Page

by RUDIEKE

my family and i take a trip to monastir tunesia for one week.Whe stay at the hotel Abou Nawas Skanes-Monastir
The picture you see is taken inside the hotel

SkanesSkanes

Trips from Skanes/Monastir

by cattyratty

Hello,

I am going to Tunisia in a couple of weeks with my family and we will be staying in a hotel in Skanes which I believe is close to Monastir. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about trips we could undertake from there? Having stayed in exactly the same hotel once before and stayed around Monastir/Sousse, we are eager to explore a lot further this time, but unfortunately a couple of members of the family can't be persuaded to stay anywhere else!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

RE: Trips from Skanes/Monastir

by stormy69

Hi
We stayed in Skanes a couple of years ago and it is a great location to get around and visit the country. I would receomend Tunis - amazing city with some very elegant areas - a bit like Paris with a arabic twist, from there it is easy to get to the ancient city of Carthage, just jump on the metro.
Another great day out is El Jem - the biggest colousem out side Rome and where the movie gladiator was filmed. While there also visit the mosaic museum which is amazing. I think we got the train there.
Monastir is worth a visit and is only a short taxi ride away, i would also recomed Sousse if you havent already been and Hammamet which is one of the best beach areas but also has a good medina and other atractions.
It is also possible to do Matmata as a day trip - just, but requires a very early start. I dont normaly recomend organised tours, but it might be worth doing this as one if it is combined with a desert safari which normaly takes 3 days. Matmata was made famous by Star Wars as it is underground dwellings where the berbers still live. For night life, try Port El Kantuoi - totally artificial tourist area, and not one i would want to stay at, but best option for any real nightlife. It is about half a hour from Skanes and has some nice restraunts and bars.
Hope this helps
Chris

RE: RE: Trips from Skanes/Monastir

by cattyratty

Thank you so much. That information is great and will help a lot. I am so keen to get to see other parts of the country so to know that there are so many really interesting things so close is wonderful.

Thanks again.

Holly.

Thalassa Monastair Hotel in Skanes

by sonivix

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
Just wanted to find out reviews of it as going with a 4 and 3 year old and wanted to know what children facilities there will be for them.

Re: Thalassa Monastair Hotel in Skanes

by Soili

Hello,
I was there a few years ago. Unfortunately, the time was in April and it seemed to be the beginning of the season. The hotel looked really great - even though I don¨'t like hotels like that (I'm a much simpler person).
I took the taxi to Monastir from the hotel - as there was not even one shop around the hotel. At that time, though! So if the little ones need special treats, make sure you have the time to do the shopping.
The pool area looked fantastic. There was also a beach (so they can build sandcastles...). A guide told me there is a problem in Tunis of the seaweed coming to the shore a lot so I think the pool area is a better option.
Surely just like everywhere else, there were stray cats near the hotel, some even drinking from the pool. A young boy did check the water daily (took a specimen into a bottle).
The dining area is large. They will take care of the children there, and the food was good. Fresh fruit etc. Yet the juice,included with breakfast, contained SO much sugar it was not a good thing to drink it. Fresh orange juice pressed from oranges cost extra!!
The hotel staff did try to cheat me, like asking me to pay for dinner that i HAD paid for at the hotel desk (my package week included breakfast only). And they never came back with a note that was too much for a bottle of mineral water- I got so angry I didn't want to quarrell.
It was a good experience to me as I travelled alone. Yes, only to hear "she is alone" spoken in French at my arrival at the reception. I just bit my tongue and ignored the guys...but I remember it.
There was a balcony in my room, a quiet place.
Thalassa is near the airport so planes may cause some noise from the airport.

regards from Finland from a middle-aged Auntie
Soili

sahara beach hotel skanes & weather

by mrhunt4

i'm planning to visit above hotel/area of tunisia for xmas /new year 2003 , has anyone stayed at or know of the aforementioned hotel and what will the weather be like at this time of the year ??

Re: sahara beach hotel skanes & weather

by maryamy

I didn't stay in that hotel, but did go to Skanes last year. The weather at that time of year won't be particulary hot, but nicer than Europe that's for sure. (I was un/lucky to get rainy weather in March, when it hadn't rained for 3 years).

Re: sahara beach hotel skanes & weather

by tucha

Hello

I return from Tunisia a week ago..I didn't stay in Sahara Beach , but my Hotel is side by side with Sahara..it's a huge Hotel with 3 buildings side by side...it's located in front of a beach..200 meters far..

I don't know how is the weather in the winter, but I think it wiil be a good temperature, because you are in Africa !! :-))

Re: Re: sahara beach hotel skanes & weather

by TunisianGunner

Ok dude, if you're looking for a warm nice sunny weather, then i wouldn't recommend Tunisia at Xmas time..sounds tooooo wrong to my ears!

But as the lady said above, it'll be definetly much better than Europe's weather.

Have fun anyway :)