Hammamet Garden

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 25% more and rated 20% lower than other 4 star hotels

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

A hotel in Hammamet

Absolutely fine (in 2003). Cleanhotel with swimming pool, nice sized rooms, friendly staff & the food was good with mcuh variety including a handful of Western dishes for those who are fussier or children. Whilst we were there the hotel had a Berber lady come in and cook (very nice food).

Got it's own (nice) beach. Off season (and across Ramandan) this was wonderful and deserted but it's not a large beach so would imagine it could get rather full when the hotel is busier. It probably takes 5 minutes (with 2 people with small legs!) to walk from the hotel to the beach.

Located about a 5 minute cab ride away from town. Cabs are cheap so no problems there.

And, if you are as very unfortunate as us and have to call the hotel doctor you get a very promp and high standard of service. In fact, had our son developed pus on the lungs in UK we probably wouldn't have been seen or treated to quickly or well!

All in all hotel is very good value for money.

Unique Quality: If Marcen still works there they have (probably) one of the nicest waiters in the world! We all grew very fond of Marcen.

Directions: apparently it's (or was in 2003) the best hotel in town so anybody can get you there.

More about Hammamet Garden

Food Poisoning Nightmare, Please Avoid This Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member halcyonlondon

I have stayed in many hotels and resorts throughout the world, and never have I been as disappointed as my stay at the Hammamet Garden Hotel. I will present the following unbiased account of a terrible holiday experience, which improved, thankfully once our group transferred over to the Iberostar Phenicia:

LOBBY
Old, tired, and in need of a major renovation. Smells like kitchen grease. Nice reception staff, although not terribly helpful once our food poisoning set-in fully.

ROOMS
Major need of renovation. Hair in the bedsheets, torn sheets, torn curtains, broken hairdryer, chipped tile, and stained duvets. Lukewarm bath water and a shower curtain that fell down no-less than 10 times.

FACILITIES
This is not a resort, it's a sad one-star hotel that's on life support. Unheated indoor pool, dirty public areas, stained and deeply worn carpets throughout, dark hallways, and depressing restaurants. The all-inclusive package is a joke, in name only. The drinks service is deplorable. A very disappointing experience. Hand-written signs plastered about the bar warning guests not to request more than one drink at a time!

FOOD
Not a dining room, more of a canteen or mess hall. Poor presentation, loads of fried foods with NO VENTILATION. That means that clothing worn to every meal needed a laundering afterwards. Very very bad. I've never experienced anything like this anywhere in the world. Worst of all, a sudden and persistent case of food poisoning that the staff did little to acknowledge. Our whole party was sick, and we only ate and drank (bottled beverages) at the Hammamet Garden Resort.

CONCLUSION
Please avoid the hotel. I read these reviews before booking. I had my reservations, and wish in hindsight that I listened to the claims of others. The place is, indeed, a nightmare. We fled to the Iberostar Phenicia and it was fantastic. We salvaged the holiday for the last three days, and now I await a refund from Last Minute and MedHotels. So far, MedHotels rep. in Tunisia has been completely unhelpful. Rep. Ben. Very disappointed. We tried to sort out the situation for days.

Sadly, the half-board at Iberostar Phenicia...completely uncomparable to the so-called full-board at Hammamet Garden, was the same price! My advice? Stay at a European or American chain hotel in Tunisia if you fancy a real resort experience. The local places all looked worn-out and utterly depressing. Not to mention, marginally less expensive in comparison. I do not fault the Tunisians for this, however I'm under the impression that foreign chains have more significant financial support to maintain, upgrade, and staff their facilities.

Tunisia is a lovely country apart from the Hammamet Garden Hotel. We visited the Roman ruins in Dougga and coliseum in El Jem, a must-see. Toured the medinas in Sousse, Hammamet, Khairouan, and Tunis--all lovely and atmospheric. Did not want to spend a single minute apart from sleeping at the Hammamet Garden Hotel, as you can see!

Best of luck with your travels to Tunisia--a highly recommended holiday.

Point of Reference: Review is based on previous stays at Westin Lucaya, Bahamas; Westin Regina Cabo San Lucas, Sam Lord's Castle Barbados, Barcelo Capella Beach Dominican Republic, Natura Park Punta Cana, Radisson Cable Beach Bahamas, Wyndham Nassau, Hilton Caribe San Juan, PR;

Reviewer is American profession based in London, UK.

Its an African country not brighton

by TripAdvisor Member Jo5445

We travelled in October to Hammamet Garden hotel and to be honest i was dreading it after reading negative comments. We arrived and the staff obviously over worked still tryed their best to help us. They were friendly, some times a little to much so, two young blonde women were too tempting for the male staff members at times. Saying that however they didnt pester, a word or two got rid of them. The rooms were spacious and clean, the food was acceptable standard for an african country. Those of you who are well travelled and understand it wont be like an English restaurant wont have any problem. The pool area was clean and the second quieter pool was really pleasant. Did venture to the beach once that was enough but thats not really our thing any way. It was a good value relaxing trip Enjoy

Fantastic Animation Team!

by TripAdvisor Member Piglet15

My boyfriend and I just returned from Tunisia after a fantastic week in the Hammamet Garden Hotel.

The weather was not good, and for the first day or so we were getting increasingly worried that we had made a big mistake. However we soon realised that this was not the case and proceeded to have a brilliant time.

The animation team are great - the entertainment is the funniest thing I have ever seen (if you go here ask them to do the "Lady Orchestra" sketch - I nearly wet myself laughing)! The guys really looked after us, both in and out of the hotel, and we were sad to leave.

Despite previous reports, the food is not bad, and the service is relatively good. If it is the first time you've travelled outside Europe then it may seem different, but it's worth bearing in mind that you are in North Africa. The pizza served at the pool bar is lovely!

As for the drinks, the wine tastes much better if you mix it with a bit of water or lemonade, and the local spirit Cetradine is perfectly drinkable if you mix it with coke or stick it in your coffee (it's a bit like brandy or Southern Comfort).

I would recommend this as a really good value holiday (we only paid £270), and even though the weather was not what we expected, it was best holiday we've ever been on together.

Ignore the bad reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member Charliet

Please please please do not listen to the bad reviews posted here!

My boyfriend and I have just returned from spending a week staying at the Hammamet Garden Hotel and we had a great time. As other have said, we were very worried before going, but we had nothing to worry about at all.

All the staff were very helpfull if a little surley at times, but treated everyone the same whether they were all inclusive or not. We never had to wait for drinks and were able to order several drinks at one time. Be aware the the all inclusive wine is awful but the wine list is very resonable.

On the first night we had a problem with our room (birds had nested above the extractor fan in the toilet) and we were moved the next morning with no questions asked.

Be prepared for a very long boring journey from the airport, but the busses are fine and fairly comfortable.

The food was fine. Not really very healthy and some of the meat was questionable but there was always something very tasty to find. I also think I put on about a stone. Every meal they have a couple of things made fresh i.e pancakes for breakfast, pizzas and pasta for lunch and dinner.

We had no tummy troubles at all. I even ate salads everyday. A good tip; you can get unlimited big bottles of water from the bar.

Beware of the animation team; OH MY GOD! I have no idea how these people have jobs! We went ot one variety show and had to leave after 10 mins as it was so un-PC it was scarey!

These were the only negative things we encounted and even then it was still great. I don't really understand how other people have had such an awful experience. We only paid £220 pp and it was excellent value for money. We had to keep reminding ourselves that it was only £12 per day for accomodation, three meals and all the drinks we wanted!

We had such a lovely relaxing week. If you want to go somewhere and completly switch off this is the place. Be aware that its not the classiest place in the word, but for a cheap get-away it is perfect.

There was a really mixed crowd there as well and everyone was completly happy. young couples like us, older couples, young families, groups of friends. If you want to go and have a boozy holiday there are a few awful British bars near by that people said were good (we stayed well clear - my worst nightmare!) However if you want to read your book and eat disgusting amounts of food - like we did - it is perfect.

We would highly recommend going on some of the excursions - they are REALLY good value for money. We went on the Friday to the market which was only about £7 which included a coach to the market and a pottery factory and then after a wine tasting! The market is just for tourists but great for pressies.

On the Saturday we went to Tunis & Sidi Bou Said. Brilliant! Such a great day out for only about £20. The market in Tunis is brilliant - very authentic. The lunch included was even very good.

Just one more point - if you are female and blonde - beware! I didn't believe before I went that I would be hassled - but you will be. Be prepared to be followed, leared at, ignored, shouted at and generally pested!! It is really not very nice at all, but its just their culture.

So, in conclussion; I would highly recommend this hotel as would the other 50 Brits who were staying at the same time.

Hammamet Gardens Nightmare

We returned home 7 days ago and the whole family are still poorly, I was very careful with food choices but still managed to become very ill, Lets start with the beach please do not let children run free on it there is broken glass everywhere along with bottles and even needles and loads of comdoms, Hotel is run by money grabbing hassle merchants. Kids entertainment was run by complete idiots one game involved asking the children to go and ask people relaxing around pool area to give them cigerettes the child who collected most wins. I saw my 8 and 9 year old children carrying fags as you can imagine i went crazy I complained to rep and hotel manager.

I really dont want to go but on the last day 3 people from the hotel were taken to hospital in ambulances due violent sickness and pains.

Im seeking legal advise over this holiday booked with Thomas Cook.

If you visit this Hotel please be careful and very aware at all times.

Don't Bother

by TripAdvisor Member eurodisney

Went for my birthday treat on the 16th November, after arriving at the airport we then had a 1 1/2 hours drive to the hotel. Once we arrived at the hotel we were given yet another piece of paper to complete before we could check in. We were then given our keys and the next person was dealt with, we were not given any directions to our room so had to find it by ourselves. The porter never brought our cases so after 2 hours we got them ourselves which were still in the same place when we left them. The pools were absolutly freezing and noone went in them whilst we were there, even though my 3 year old daughter did try, the indoor one is not heated either and that is just as cold. The food was ok for us adults but nothing for children unless you feed them chips and sauce 3 times a day. There was no toaster for breakfast so you had bread and butter instead. If you dont tip the waiters they will ignore you all holiday and you will have to queue at the bar for 1/2 hour at least. Dont go expecting all inclusive (this basically only covers beer and wine)anything else you have to pay for Vodka £3.50 per shot (which is like our shots) and £4.50 for whisky. Rooms were ok but not very clean outside on the balconies. I always read reveiws from other people before making a choice of where to go and I can only assume the other people have not been to many good all inclusive hotels for the price. Although it was cheap go to Eygpt and spend the same amount for 5 star luxury not a 3 star at best.

i loved it! cant wait to go back

You have to remember you are going to africa not spain when you book this holiday, i am a travel agent so i was a bit jubvious when i booked this holiday, but when i got there i was over the moon.
The hotel was brilliant! If the sun wasnt out (which it was most of the time) you had an indoor pool, the animation staff had u uo doing all sorts of things, i did archery, darts, dancing.....
The food was ok, there was always plenty of choice, pasta, pizza chips for the english eaters various curries, tunisian dishes, the freshest bread i have ever had! you could always find something that was great! i think i put about two stone on in a week lol!
overall the holiday was great i would reccomend it to everyone families and couples alike its great!

Expect the worst and you may come out surprised

by TripAdvisor Member tremor

I stayed at this hotel at the end of November05 with my wife and son for one week. We had already booked when I read reviews on this web site so I had very low expectations, a few turned out to be true but not all.

Transfers from Airport:
We were met at the airport by a medhotel rep who was friendly but wasn’t very specific about which coach we had to go on. He told us to look for an orange one (no numbers)of which there were several in the car park. BE PREPARED FOR THE TRANSERS TO TAKE UP TO TWO HOURS. We set off from Gatwick at 1400 and didn’t get to our hotel until 2030)

Hotel:
We had to fill out three lengthy forms at the reception upon arrival. The male receptionist seemed very unfriendly (although we later noticed that this guy was an exception as all other daytime staff seemed very friendly). Porter helped with the bags to our room. Carpets in the corridor were very dirty but the room was spacious and clean (Cleaned daily by a very nice lady). No fridge. Lobby was ok, although no no-smoking areas. Main pool was large but again weather too cold for swimming.

Food:
I had read about problems with All Inc. guest so started tipping from the word go. However, from what I could see, the waiters worked extremely hard and were very courteous to EVERYONE not just us. Contrary to what I had expected, the food was v.good. Lots of choice, fairly tasty. There was a different theme almost everyday. We stayed away from salads (often the main source of trouble). We did get upset stomach once (bbq beef sausages) but it was only for a few hours. We were v.happy with all three daily meals served here.

Resort/Excursions:
The Jamaica beach is a good 5 to 10 min walk from the hotel. It was clean and quiet with the occasional sellers (Note: these guys operate from the local gift shops. Unfortunately I had a little confrontation with one of them which left a bad impression in my mind. This however is not the norm). It was too cold to go for a dip in the sea. Taxi to hammamet center was only 3DN (£1.50). The shop staff in the medina weren't too aggressive. Don't bother with the free trip to madina offered by the rep as he'll take you straight to the carpet shop. We got lots of change from hotel and tried to pay using exact money wherever possible. There is a Tourist Info office in the center but they didn’t have much in English. Brush up on your French/German. There is a road train that runs from center to the hotel. Don’t bother as it’s more expensive then taxi and takes exactly the same route.

Ben the medhotel rep pretty much told us he wasn’t prepared to take us on the 2 day excursion because we had a 3ry old child (so much for family friendly). So we did our own thing. I made the mistake of hiring the car via reception (80 dn/day). Recommend go directly to car hire places and haggle. You should be able to get something for 35-50 dn/day. Driving here is fairly safe (excluding Tunis). There is a v.good market every Friday in Nabeul (10 dn by taxi). Recommend you buy all gifts from this market.

Transfers back to Airport were faultless.

All in all this was a safe and relaxing holiday. I would recommend this hotel if you have paid budget prices (like we did) but not if you're spending top dollar and are expecting luxury.

great chilled out trip

by TripAdvisor Member scampateer

The transfer does take almost 2 hours but I was aware of that from reading reviews so that was fine. It gave us time to catch up on a little bit of sleep!

On arrival we had to fill in a form in the very impressive lobby area. It is very large and spacious and filled with plants and a large stone fountain. You can just glimpse the very impressive pool area through the large glass windows and our overall impression was very good. A porter took us to our room which was large and clean and had a balcony (I believe they all do).

We are fairly young 22 and 24 and although we are pretty well travelled we can't usually afford to stay in high star rated hotels etc so we were impressed. It's true the rooms are not 4 star really but they are clean and perfectly adequate for anybody’s needs.

The food was great although it did get a little samey after a while. It is a serve yourself all you can eat deal but how long do these complainers of waiting times think a personal table service would take?! If it really bothers you there is an a la carte menu which you can pay for should you choose. There was always a large salad bar plus 4 hot vegetarian dishes (spinach and ricotta pasta, ratatouille etc) There was always at least 3 hot meat dishes. Plus chips, a cooked meat or fish griddle (a different selection every evening) plus spaghetti and pizza that you could have made for you in the pizza oven at lunch or dinner. The service was excellent; we didn't have to wait for anything and were always treated well. I really do not understand how the drinks service can be seen as "deplorable” The drinks waiters work really hard and we were always given great service. We were friendly and tipped our good service here and there and we were able to sit and have drinks brought over with out even ordering them

The alcohol available was very adequate. The beer Celtia is nice and is certainly not watered down as other guests have suggested. We checked a can we saw in a shop and it is 5% so therefore on draught it is probably around 4%. There was also nice red, white and rose wine. As is made perfectly clear when people book the holiday the local spirits are the on offer on all inclusive and they are perfectly nice. Boukka is a clear spirit which tastes a lot like tequila and is very nice with fanta or coke. Also on offer was cedratine which was a yellow spirit similar to brandy and again very nice. If you want vodka etc included on A.I then don't come to a hotel that doesn't serve them! Bottled water, fanta, coke, lemonade, tea and coffee plus sandwiches are available 24 hours a day and there is no problem with taking glasses etc to your room.

People trying to sell you things does get very grating. Only book tours from your rep at the meeting on your first day. Men in the lobby will try and sell you camel rides and there is a tall slim man who must work on commission for selling packages for the massage treatments etc. On our first day he suggested he would show us round but was really trying to sell us packages he is very persistent and I’m afraid to say I ended up being a little standoffish with him but I think you have to be. The sellers are relentless – In the medina’s they will not give up! They are very touchy feely and I felt very uncomfortable at times but if you are firm they will leave you alone. Haggle and you can get bargains but to be honest it seemed to be mostly cheap tat.

Beware of Tunisian men at the medina saying that they are waiters from your hotel – they are not! They are just trying to get you to their family’s shops by pretending they are doing you a favour by showing you around.

We went on the Arabian nights trip which turned out to be pretty good. When you get there they produce an orangey very weak cocktail that they say you must pay 3 dinars for and then the rest of the drinks were free. This is pretty annoying but once you pay it is all you can drink wine plus a nice meal. The show is long and pretty impressive although some of the older guest on our table found it a bit loud!

There are 2 outside swimming pools but despite the weather being about 20 degrees while we were there (30th nov – 7th dec) it was still a bit cold to venture in! The indoor pool is of course heated - these people who say it isn’t obviously haven’t noticed the steam rising from it! It was perfectly warm and never too busy, we swam everyday and found it very pleasant.

There are other bars if you venture out (first left once you leave the hotel gates – you can always get in however late you return!) the British bar has happy hours until 11 where all there drinks are half price. In winter there are actually no British people there at all (we were always the only ones) and is just young Tunisians dancing and having fun so the brit bars aren’t the
archetypal hellish places you’d expect!(in the summer i expect they are though!)

All in all we had a really nice, relaxing romantic time. There isn’t a lot do in the winter months but we just chilled out, drank lots of wine and played lots of chess!(there are games provided in the lobby but bring your own cards)
All these people who have complained must realise that with the price being so cheap it’s not going to be a super high class hotel! If that’s the standard you’re used then go somewhere else and expect to pay a higher price – it’s quite obvious!

Hammamet garden recommendation

by Loki117

Im due for 2 weeks of bliss in tunisia this september our hotel is Hammamet garden has anyone stayed here and may be able to recommend? We know not alot about it so any details would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance