Rue Dougga, Avenue Moncef Bey, Hammamet, 8050, Tunisia

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Quartzy's Profile Photo

Bel Air Hotel

The hotel is amazingly beautiful. It has a big pool, a bar, entertainment and is located minutes from the beach. The food is okay - as in most hotels in Tunisia, it's all-you-can-eat, and not typical Tunisian food at all.

We were a little disappointed with the waiters in the restaurant who tried to pull a "joke" on us (so they said when we left and threatened to complain) one morning when they accommodated us when we arrived too late for breakfast because our watches were one hour too early: they tried to charge us for the food when it was included in our package. They apologized later, but we seriously doubt they were really joking and not trying to take advantage of us.

• smirice38's Profile Photo

great hotel

my stay on the whole was very satisfactory in fact i cant wait to go back again as soon as it opens

Unique Quality: the hotel is now going through an extensive re fit with double glazing in all rooms new furniture caroets etc and also a larger restaurant
    everything should be finished by the end of march 2007

Directions: nightlife area

• Hammamet, An Oasis of Peddler?s

We went half-board accommodation in a 3 star hotel, a family holiday in Tunisia. The rating might have been 3 star, but we felt this was based less on the quality of the accommodation and more on its ability to empty your wallet. A bottle of water from the hotel shop was 4 times more expensive than it was from a shop 5 minutes up the road.

The room was basic, the air conditioning did not work and the menu was almost the same every day. The entertainment (remember this was a family holiday) started each evening at 9pm with a children’s disco that finished at 11pm with an exact repetition of the same songs from the previous night. At 11pm the adults disco started, going on until 4am in the morning. There was no escaping the noise.

The hotel allowed rep’s from a few local activity centres to work at the hotel selling camel and horse riding, quad-bike rides and Pirate Ship trips. Thank goodness we didn’t go on the Pirate Ships because everyone we met who did was sick. Apparently the boats were too crowded, stank of diesel and the served food less than palatable.

We did go for the horse riding and camel riding experience (and paid way over the odds). Being a family of competent riders we only wanted to do the horse riding. “Not a problem!” Our friendly hotel rep smiled. But it was… Unfortunately the day we went the hotel manager’s children also went. They claimed all the horses bar 2 and we (the paying customer) had to make do with a camel ride instead.

On our last day the Hotel decided that all guests leaving that day had to pay for their meals. This resulted in a ruckus with many irate guests, who really had had enough of the highly inflated bar prices and just about every possible trick in the book to twist another coin from your hand. They rebelled and several tour operators using the hotel got some very angry calls, eventually the hotel backed down and we were fed and sent on our way home.

Recommendation: If you are visiting Hammamet, try a different hotel to Bel Air.

Unique Quality: The pool was nice, but crowded. You had to be up early to claim a chair.
    The chamber maids were probably some of their best staff, it's a shame they weren't front of house staff instead!

Directions: Located approximately halfway between the old and the new medina.

More about Hotel Bel Air

bel air hotel

by smirice38 about bel air hotel

the bel air is currently undergoing a major refurbishment as of jan,feb,march 2007 it should be completed by the end of march 2007 it is right in the heart of the nightlife of hammamet and will be enjoyed by fun loving guests the rooms are all refurbished to a high standard and all include mini bars

heart of nightlife

by smirice38 about bel air hotel

brilliant time great staff they keep you entertained all day around the pool and at night with their nightly entertainment,kaka and nimo are really good they wont let anyone shrink away into a corner .
the pool area is really nice and clean and there is a waiter service for drinks and snacks so you dont have to move off your sun lounger, but if you wish ,you can have a snack in the shade at the poolside snack bar,where the food is well worth waiting for.
their is a massage parlour and a sauna and an inside pool all accessed from the main pool area
the rooms are all cleaned daily and the hotel in general is all very clean ideally placed for all the bars, within walking distance to all of them including the beach bars where you can sit ,relax and have a drink or snack.
taxis wait outside the hotel entrance and you can take a ride into hammamet centre and the medina where you can haggle to your hearts content or go to nabuel market on a friday
the taxis are very cheap and only cost a few dinars to go to most places

loved the staff

Hi just back from our first trip to Tunisia and the Bel Air Hotel. Food was excellent( something for everyone) rooms were very clean and comfortable. Staff were very polite and friendly. A special mention for the entertainment staff who strutted their stuff every night and smiled all the way through! good luck to Ka Ka especially for the future hope he realises his dreams. The best holiday i have had in recent years and i will definitely be back. Good Luck guys. From Bonnie Scotland !

go there!

by TripAdvisor Member zmajic

Bel Air hotel is a great place to spend holiday. My husband and me were there 10 days in October and we had great time. Rooms are clean, as well as the whole place. Food is fantastic (if you can live without pork), especially salads and all kinde of cookies. The beach is near the hotel and has all you need. The stuff is very polite and slow (as well as in the hole country). There is a lot of entertaining programs and my advice is to go for a camel ride..,it is realy an experience. There is a cute guy who will ofer you that. The only problem is a nearby club with a very loud music, but you can simply close the door or take the room looking at the iner side of the hotel (e.g. to the pool).
The hotel is in the southern part of Hammamet (Hammamet Sud) and not far away from Jasmine Hammamet. Go to see both sides of the city, because they are very different and interesting.
If you want to travel to Tunis, Carthage or Sidi bu Said, the louage station is close to the hotel and you can travel very chip and comfortable with a van for 8 persons. I am posting the pictures of some other places we have seen, because I have already posted the pictures from the hotel.
Go there because Tunisa is a beautifull country, with a great sea, weather, people and culture.

one cooked chicken with a dirty knee!!!! (4 and 3, 43)

I just have to say that me and my mate had a great holiday here. Nemo (Nino) was a brilliant entertainer! He is the funniest bingo caller I have ever heard! I can't wait to go back there. The staff were superb!

bel air hotel

by joannaclay

just wondered if anyone has stayed in the bel air hotel in hammamet?
if you have can you please give me some feed back on the hotel and the surrounding area thanks

by PeteG

I've stayed at the Bel Azur in Hammamet, is that the one you mean?

by joannaclay

no its definatly called bel air! just looked up bel azur and it is a differant hotel thanks anyway! just wondered if you could tell me if there is anywhere that serves alcohol in hammamet? thanx

by PeteG

All the hotels serve drinks. If I am honest I can't remember having a drink out in the town itself, but at the same time I can't remember not being able to get one either. Sorry, not much help with that.

But certainly every hotel serve good drinks! Be careful when ordering spirits though, or imported beers as they will be a lot more expensive than locally produced stuff. I have to say that Tunisian beer is good, vodka not quite so. I have been about 5 or 6 times and each time I have been asked by a waiter or shop keeper if I have whiskey to sell. Buy some duty free on the plane and sell it / barter it on!

Re: Bel air hotel

by Angelicdisgrace

I found the Bel Air Hotel to be wonderful, the staff were all very friendly, rooms clean, entertainment was excellent and we enjoyed the food. We are returning again this year. The surrounding area is a little loud and busy as you have 5 night clubs near but Hammamet is one of the safest places we have ever visited. A visit to the Medina is a must and an experience not to be missed.

by joannaclay

thank you for your replies they have really help xx

Comments