Hotel Dar Khayam

Satisfaction Average

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

Absolute Bargain!

Absolutely fantastic, I could not fault this place whatsoever, in fact I am considering going back for Easter again next year for some early sun! When we went, we wasn't expecting anything fantastic, we knew with the price we paid for an All Inclusive week at the Dar Khayem it wasn't going to be 5* luxury. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised (after the hour and a half or so transfer) with the hotel. The staff were friendly, the hotel was clean and well kept. What more could you ask for? When we went for breakfast he following morning, we were spoilt for choice, and it was likewise for lunch and dinner. The pools were clean, the indoor pool was lovely and warm on the days it was a bit too cold to go in the oudor pool. The drinks that were available all day/night, were nice - no complaints there either!

Unique Quality: The beach - the beach which was about 200m from the swimming pools/bar area was gorgeous, there was plenty of room for all the guests. Even in the Summer there is plenty of room for all of the guests. The pool area too was great - really clean and and the animation team kept smiles on everyone's faces all day and night!

Also the on-site spa was a God send! The prices were brlliant value for money - I would highly recommend a day/afternoon to relax and get pampered!

• bonio's Profile Photo

All inclusive

A rare package holiday and the first all inclusive one for us.
    Starting with the hotel, a little way out of town - a short taxi ride but a long walk.
    Rooms simple but clean and comfortable, some a little way from the main hotel building. A couple of hours wait for the room when we arrived.
    Facilities around the hotel pretty good, indoor and outdoor pools, right on the beach, massage available and entertainment throughout the day and evening - not compulsory though!
    Food pretty good too, always a buffet and plenty of variety including some local dishes every day, enjoyed, Mrs B had no problem finding something without meat and was especially fond of the cakes as ever!
    Bars, 3 to choose from with one on the beach itself. Celtia beer takes some getting used to but the red wine was ok!
    Considering the price we paid this was great value and really no problems, an enjoyable break in the winter sun

More about Hotel Dar Khayam

Dar-khayam

well...like most people didn't know what to exspect

in was very surprised .the hotel very clean and tidy.
staff friendly.some over friendly..food for a 3 star
was about right.and plenty of it .
the animation team worked very hard .my thanks to sam
who worked wonders for my son.all in all a very nice holiday..would go back again..thanks to all the staff.

Zaama Zamma - Dar Khayam

by TripAdvisor Member Jimbo1973

With a little apprehension we boarded our flight for the three hour hop in the sky to Monastir Airport. after getting through immigration and queuing for over an hour for our luggage, I decided to change £100 to get us going. Watch for the guy in the BDC trying to short change you here. After fighting our way through the "friendly" airporters we boarded our coach for the 90 minute journey to the hotel.
We were shown to our rooms, after some more form filling at reception, and was very surprised at how they were, even more impressed was the porter with his 10TD tip (I lost my change on the coach trip from the airport) - Needless to say we were greeted with a big snile every time he saw us.
The hotel was fantastic, from the rooms to the food and everything else in between. The animation staff:

Makram - The "chif"
Midou - Funniest guy I ever met
Chagiou - Shaggy - 'nuff said - what a top bloke
Mahoud - funny funny funny
Nagir - little guy with bundles of energy
Insaf - the only woman on the team
JoJo - true gentleman, had time for everybody and a bit of a ladies man
Sam - the kids entertainer and truly the nicest person at the hotel
DJ Tomy - Heard of Oasis yet Tomy ???

worked damned hard to keep everybody happy. Once a week there is a childrens show, where the kids put on the evenings entertainment, and my daughter Lauren done both weeks ( Barbie Girl ?)

Truly, I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, so much so that we WILL go back next year for another two weeks. You do get a little hassle from the beach sellers, but a firm POLITE no with a smile will usually send them away. The pirate ship trip (booked via teh hotel seller and not teh Thomas Cook rep) was well worth the money.

Overall, everything about Hammamet and dar Khayam was fantastic, I could happily write on for hours about this place, but don't think I'll be allowed.
If you go, go with an open mind and enjoy - we did and we did.

Loved Dar Khayam Hotel

We have just returned from a two week holiday at Dar Khayam. The hotel is set in a well seculed grounds but was quite and we spent christmas and new year. We where on a all inclusive holiday but the selection of drinks was very limited if you like wine its ok, my husband and I found drinks to be not the same strength has what we our use to. The soft drinks I found did not have much gas so I preffered to buy mine from the local shop. The hotel reception staff where not to helpful if you needed any assistance, but when we first arrived we where approched within the hotel by a tunisian asking us if we would like to see Hammenent with a few of the other guests and this would be free of charge, so of we went stopping of with our guide who led us to a carpet factory inside the medeina, where we where approached by very very hard sales approach and we could not leave without purchasing a carpet we spent £300 that day but only put a depoist down, we would of not of gone if we had not of been approached. The entaintaintment was bingo in the evening but the same each night but I was impressed with the christmas and new years eve bash it was very good, they pulled out all stops. Our young at heart rep was excellent and kept everyone entained and also took everyone bolling which is within walking distance. The maids where very friendly and my husband enojoyed his massage and it was very resasonable price for a hotel. My husband enjoyed all the food and since returning home has put a lot of weight on. The hotel is clean ad tidy and our waiter was very good. We met a lot of friends while away who wish to return next year.
We went on a trip to the capital Tunis but we only spent 2 hours shopping and the rest of the time travelling, when booking we where misinformed information. The beach is only outside the complex and there is a water park in walking distance but this was closed due to the end of the season. There is no lifts to access to rooms but has good access in and around the complex.

2 Star Prices = 2 Star Accommodation. It's Not Rocket Science!

by TripAdvisor Member TheFarFarSide

Tunisia is a beautiful country, still steeped in Moorish tradition if one bothers to look for it. I have stayed at the Dar Khayam several times over the last decade or so. British tourists would do well to remember however, that Tunisia is still officially recognised as a 'Third World Country'. The Dar Khayam is relatively basic and has somewhat dated fixtures and fittings when compared with many tourist destinations around mainland Europe. That said, it's clean, relatively comfortable, and employs friendly staff who appear genuinely eagre to help make your stay a pleasant one. Personally I feel it's more than coincidence that the 'bad' reviews about Tunisia as a whole, appear to have been written 'badly' by their contributors. Lazy typing, bad grammar, so-on and so-forth. As a British tourist, I (sadly) find myself embarrassed in foreign countries, surrounded as I often am, by loud drunken women and unintelligent drunken men from my home country. The Dar Khayam is a very inexpensive hotel compared to many, and great value for an out-of-season break for British tourists. As with most hotels around the world, at the end of the day you get pretty much what you pay for. If you want Four Star accommodation... Pay Four Star prices!

Good value for money

Have just arrived back in the uk from 2 weeks at the dar khayam, i was a little dubious about this hotel after reading previous reviews, on the whole great value for money? some peaple seem too expect the world, the staff are friendly and curtious, the food is plentyfull so their is know need for anyone too go hungry, the bar can get a bit busy at times but know more than usuall, the animation team work very hard for very little money, (midou was a constant joy too be around and very sincere with it) the hotel is clean and tidy with a beautiful and very tidy beach. I would recomend this hotel too families and couples, not for group's of youngster's as their is very little entertainment in the evening to suit them. A enjoyable stay and great weather.

Watch out for shaggy if you play beach football, he may take his ball home with him if he disagree's with you?

Worst Holiday Ever

Upon Arriving in the DarKhayam y girlfriend and I thought we had landed on our feet the reception looked lovely, so naturally we thought that this would be indicative of the rest of the hotel & boy were we wrong, after check in we were taken to our room the bell boy told us the room we were staying in was a "very nice room" this couldn't have been further from the truth. Now I realise that this is only a 3 star hotel but I would imagine ther are better 2 star hotels, every time we had a shower the room floode there was also an electric socket that would come away from the wall exposing electrics, which was very disconserting. the beds in the whole two weeks we stayed there never had the sheets changed once and there was mould all over the walls.
So after a few days we managed to change rooms. the second room was better but still not very clean but felt positively 5 star compared to the first room.
So now on to the food at first it seemed ok but after a few days very repetitive and greasy and it really got m goat that you couldn't take a bottle of wine or juice to your table. on the 7th day my girfriend and I got food poisoning which could have only been from the restaurant and were bed bound for 3 days. other annoyances included the pool where it was like they had put a cd on loop as it was the same one everyday allday. the beach was ok but not the cleanest and you had to be down first thing to grab a sun lounger, also the people who were organising the water sports had no idea about safety which i thought was pretty shocking.
The only good point of the holiday was the sahara explorer which was absoloutely amazing saw 75% of the country and some once in a lifetime experiences like sunrise at the desert oasis of chebika & the tour guide big MO was tremendous with so much knowledge to impart. But that apart it was a terrible holiday and having never been on a bad holiday before it was so annoying as you work all year to go to these places and I have never felt so cheated in my life.
P.s If you want to get a good drink dont go to the bar in the Dar Khayam 25cl cups of "beer" for an all inclusive I would expect so much more .
but you know what they say you cant beat good old spain.

Loved it!

I absolutely loved this place. It was clean and friendly. Tunisia is a lovely country to visit and this hotel complemented it.
We arrived there on the sunday night and were shown to our room which I found clean and airy. All rooms have balaconys which is lovely when you wake up in the morning and look out into bright sunshine.
The staff are all very friendly espically the bar staff and the animation which my group and I managed to befriend. My parents left a tip at the end of the holiday because the staff were just so friendly. The maids also clean the rooms everyday.
The pool is lovely and is also very clean and the beach is a minute from the pool. You do get hassled a little on the beach to buy things but a stern NO should set them in their way.
The evening entertainment is brilliant as well. They have bingo to start off but we just used to wonder around at that time and go back down when the actual entertainment started which I enjoyed every night.
All in all this was a brilliant holiday and I am hoping to go back next year with my friends.

avoid the quads!

by TripAdvisor Member spanishhell

Found the staff at this hotel to be very friendly, helpful and courteous but please please avoid the quads! Two accidents during our stay one resulting in a 6.5hr operation that your insurance wont cover! Let children as young as 4 ride with a guardian!
Hotel rooms etc are quite basic but clean, food was OK but as no food factories in Tunisia it is all freshly prepared and gets a bit boring. Lots of flies around the rest too and the plastic glasses for drinks not v nice, but the holiday was very good value for money, no real need to spend anything. The staff do make the hotel though and you get to meet lots of people. Please dont go out at night in just a group of females though, the tunisian men are very friendly!!!

Hammamet, Tunisia

by chloejoinson

Hi everyone
Me and my 3yr old daughter have booked into the Hotel Dar Khayam, Hammamet in Tunisia for a week over xmas (2004). I was wondering if there is any advice that i may find useful as a single mum in a foreign country, or any areas that i would be best to avoid.

I am also wondering if anybody can tell us if there are any excursions that both myself and my 3yr old would enjoy.

Much appreciated and a very merry christmas and great new year to you all.
Chloe

Re: Hammamet, Tunisia

by adelfmDjerba

There is no Problem ... Hammamet is a very good palce ... You will not have a problem... I am sure that you will have a good Tripe. There is so many thinks to see ... enjoy your self!

Welcome in tunisia !