Iberostar Hotel Chich Khan

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Iberostar Hotel Chich Khan

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member julienmark

Returned last night from a fantastic holiday at Chich Khan, Yasmine Hammamet.

7 days just not enough, hopefuly return for 2 weeks next year & do the 2 day desert & El Gem trip to see more of this wonderful country.

We were made so welcome by all staff & waiters could not do enough for us. The 'animation team' are fantastic, wander around all day asking that all is ok, they put so much into making sure all enjoying their holiday -one of the lads even sat down & gave us quick lesson in Arabic! They put so much effort into what they do bearing in mind their day consists of 16 hours - the hotel are fortunate to have such dedicated people working for them.

Good selection of food, we took own tea bags for breakfast, but then again we did last year in Djerba. Excellant waiter service of drinks at table. Enjoyed pancakes each day at 4.30pm around pool. The hotel and restaurant are spotless, we had no stomach upsets whatsoever. Decor is great & very 'Moorish' choice of 4 bars, all very comfortable to relax in.

Citris golf nearby is worth a look - just ask at reception, free transfer to and from golf course.

We would not recommend for 'young clubbers/teenagers' but for young families and couples Chich Khan is an ideal holiday retreat.

Hotel has own private beach, 5 min walk away, & soft drinks & loungers are free.

We cannot speak highly enough of this hotel, we are fortunate to enjoy 2/3 holidays each year abroad, so we know whats good & what is not.

Not really the 4* we expected

by TripAdvisor Member chuckaSouthYorkshire

Holiday taken August 2006 over bank holiday -
We booked this well in advance and were pleasantly surprised at the reviews read and brochure information we could find.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning and we given something to eat and drink which was very welcomed.
The room we were given was very spacious, plenty of room for everything and a lovely view over the pool. Maid service was excellent. They came in every day emptied bins, changed towels made beds and on occasion even put flowers on pillows which was a lovely touch. We felt completely looked after in this respect.
After the first few days, we began to fall ill one by one which did spoil the holiday. We then had a worse experience in the main dining room one evening when my husband found a piece of metal in our youngest daughters meal. We were outraged but this caused more concern when it seemed to be disregarded by the dining room manager who took the metal and didn't come back with any explanations as to why it got into the food. One day we found a cochroach in toilet of our hotel room. The cleanliness of the washing of glasses and cups, etc was beyond me as they didn't even use soap to wash them, just rinsing them out and putting them back in a pile to be used for the next customer.
The staff were nice, but some of the entertainment staff were pushy, trying to get you involved in activities when all you wanted to do was relax in the sun by the pool. I know the activites are included in the price of a holiday when you go all inclusive, but its optional - surely! We did take part in some of them, which we enjoyed, but found that some of the staff could seem to take it the wrong way if you didn't join in.
All in all a nice holiday, but I wouldn't be rushing back to the Chich Khan again I'm afraid.

Excellent Hotel. We loved it -but it's not for everybody.

by TripAdvisor Member HubbyBubblyMan

After reading a number of mixed reviews on this hotel, I have to say that after going there in a party of 8 (4 adults 3 kids and a toddler) we were thrilled we went. The hotel is fantastic, the staff on the main are very helpful especially Chik Adnan the waiter in the main restaurant who is brilliant. The food is excellent, with alot of variety. We had 3 young girls with us, one aged 6, two aged 9 and they loved the food and we had not one complaint of deli-belly in our group for the two weeks we were there.The daytime entertainment is great with water polo, volleyball, archery, mini-golf, darts, etc etc and an equal amount of activities for the kids. The evening entertainment you can take or leave as some of it is poor, but they make the effort. Ali Baba's Shish-Pipe hut on the lower ground floor is a great place as well. The beauty salon in the hotel is excellent and really cheap. The beach is lovely, and all in all it was an excellent experience.
HOWEVER: To appreciate this place, you really need to go for 2 weeks. Also if you do not like being hassled, dragged into shops, and being asked the same questions 50 times per day I do not recommed this place or anywhere in Tunisia. You need to be very open minded and try not to get offended by the locals. Also if you go to the Medina in Yasmine Hammamet avoid at all costs the Cafe El Bay. They are con artists bigtime!!! Aside from this, I'm gutted i'm back at work wirting this review, when just a couple of days ago I was lounging around in the Chich Khan.

terrific tunisia

by TripAdvisor Member deecooch

I have just returned from Tunisia, we travelled out on the 24th july 2007 we stayed for 9 days.

I travelled with my husband teenager daughter of 18 child aged 8 and granmother mother aunties cousins and their children , 15 of us in total.

We stayed at the beautiful Chich Khan in Yasmine Hammermet.

First impression of hotel was it was luxurious. We arrived early morning and was greeted with a smile and sandwiches,

Food had lovely, wide selection of meats salads, deserts.

The hotel had various activites all the family could take part in from volley ball to table tennis to water aerobics, tennis, gymnastics and games arranged by the energetic animation team, they tried very hard to entertain children by day and adults by evening,.

Cocktails served all day at hotel are ok, staff are very friendly and helpful, rooms are very big and clean, we had a room with a balcony overlooking pool,

Medina is just down the road from this hotel , many days and evenings we travelled there to haggle and haggle and haggle we got very good bargains on designer bags belts shoes jeans tops ect. I enjoyed this experience of haggling. If you dont take it too seriously it is quite a laugh. In the medina you will find lots of restaurants of your choice , entertainment, bars, just a place to hang out at any time of day or morning, children welcome everywhere.

We also went to the main market which operates on friday excellent bargains to be found.

Yasmine hammamet beach is lovely , with bars and a nice sandy beach. and volley ball available.

All in all we had a great time in tunisia, brilliant place, hot hot hot weather. short flight, great place. Only problem i had was the flies attacking my food.

In

Needs Refurb

by TripAdvisor Member nickos1

Just back from Tunisia Chich Khan Iberostar Thomas cook 4 * Hotel
Firstly this is no way a four star Hotel . Thomas cook should seriously downgrade this as soon as possible .
Me & my partner arrived midday we were more or less ordered , not asked, to sit in an area away from the main reception in order to complete arrival/registration forms. The Lady was very firm in explaining things & got straight to the point however not at all friendly infact a little intimidating she quickly fired out verbally were the restaurants & bars were situated with rapid hand signals then asked each party if they had any questions but this was done in a very fast tone that put you off from asking anything .We are not children & don’t want our hands held but after a long journey travelling upon arrival at our Hotel we would at least expect someone pleasant to greet you , make you feel welcome& take time to explain things in a nice mannerism so that you can absorb the information that is being relayed to you . The porter who took our luggage & showed us up to our room was very friendly & helpful . The room was very nice & kept clean but still not 4* Aircon very poor , dribble type showers , hardly any warm hot water either. As soon as we looked out from our balcony we noticed below us that grassed areas were unkept & overgrown , sun beds were just placed over the long grass & getting one is almost impossible unless you rise at 7.00 am & put your towel s out , the beds are packed together very closely its clearly obvious that the sunbed areas around the pool are not capable of supporting the amount of people that reside in the hotel there is an overgrown type back garden were sunbeds are placed to deal with the overflow absolutely ridiculous .The outside entertainment area is also not capable of accommodating the amount of people who watch it .The shows usually start at 9.30 pm but if you are not seated by 9.00 pm you have to find wherever you can to sit on rocks , steps etc if you go for a drink you have to be careful your chair is not stolen when you get back as we witnessed this on a number of occasions .You would think the Hotel would address this problem as it happens every night the type of chairs you get are the cheap white plastic sort from the garden centres another 25-30 chairs would solve the problem. Some of the steps & pathed areas are in need of repair as they are very uneven & broken and there are ants everywhere .
The Buffet was nice with friendly waiters & had plenty to offer but could improve on a little more choice for breakfast. Bars were all ok & getting drinks isn’t a problem with a wide choice to choose from with very friendly barmen who know there job very well. The animation team are very friendly & work very hard & at times can be very funny with there slapstick shows but its plain to see there are corners being cut with the full entertainment package . The Entrance to the block by the indoor swimming pool has a foul smell of stale fish we smelt this stench everyday.
This hotel needs seriously overhauling as it is very tired and worn out.
Would not come here again.

Loved it, mostly!

by TripAdvisor Member faithpig

We have just returned from a fortnight at the Chich Khan, for which we paid £1,130 for two adults and our two-year old on an all-inclusive basis. I booked the hotel because we wanted a beach break and then realised after booking it wasn't actually on the beach...the Thomas Cook brochure said 200metres from the beach which I thought must be about the length of the hotel's garden, but actually you have to go over two roads, one of which can be busy.

Flights
Flights were pretty rubbish; cattle class, NO leg room, but fairly normal I suppose. We got to the hotel at about 2am and they gave us bottled water and baguette type sandwiches. Flight back was equally horrible although it got in early which was nice. The early arrival was offset by spending a while at Gatwick reporting our broken pram and broken suitcase - thanks to Thomas Cook Airlines.

Room
The room was huge and very clean, with a massive balcony. We were disappointed that it didn't over look the pool, but not surprised (after all we hadn't paid the pool view supplement) but it did overlook the very stunning Vegas-style Vincci Lella Baya hotel. We came to be very glad we were at the front, though, when the evening entertainment kicked in at the back! The airconditioning seemed to be more of fan, though, on the first three nights. We later found out that until a certain date in June it only worked from midday to midnight. However the rest of the holiday it worked well. Beds were great, but I have no idea what the pillows had in them; it felt like lumps of wool?!

Food
I was initially disappointed with the food, as it was canteen-style every night. But, every evening there was a choice of loads of different breads, two or three soups, a children's area (pasta etc), chips, pizza, pasta, lasagne-type things, fish, different meat dishes, vegetable dishes, and different things cooked to order like tempura vegetables or pasta dishes or 'brik' (deep fried omelette-type thing!), lots of Tunisian cheeses and spam-style meats and about fifteen different salads. Dessert was always various melons, fresh dates, huge bowls of fruit (no bananas though?), ice cream and dishes of the Tunisian cakes. They have a sweet tooth and love cakes with lots of layers and creamy bits and icing. I had blancmange and chocolate mousse most nights and my son loved the 'coloured balls' of marzipan. They did lots of different nutty cakes with honey and syrup. Also, the hotel offers a 'dine-around' option whereby you can visit the other four Iberostar hotels for Mexican, Asian, Oriental or Italian food. I assumed this would be A La Carte, but sadly it wasn't . It was presented by the generally enthusiastic waiters, but I'm a vegetarian. Tell them this and they put on an interested face...and do nothing. After the second restaurant I made very sure that they knew in advance, but was still served meat and told to just pick it out or put it to one side. Don't expect anywhere in Tunisia to understand vegetarianism, or to get European-quality food. I loved the food; it was tasty and generally hot, not of European restaurant standard maybe, but I wasn't in Europe and hadn't paid European prices (which several people we chatted to seemed to be forgetting). Also, as we were all-inclusive it just seemed like constant food! Breakfast first in the main dining room, then late breakfast in the downstairs bar, then lunch in the pool bar and half an hour later in the dining room, then cakes in the downstairs bar, pancakes at the pool bar, then coffee or mint tea in the fantastic cofffee bar with the very personable Ali Baba, then dinner, then cocktails (Anis does a great range of cocktails, thank you!). We felt we were eating all the time. The cocktails are a bit wierd though. Tunisians seem to be strangers to European style fruit juice, so all of them are syrupy. I paid £4.50 (11 dinar) for a margarita in the 5-star hotel over the road and was soooo disappointed - not only did it have lime cordial instead of lime, I swear it was fluorescing.

Pool and Garden
We loved the pool area which was all rimflow and beautifully designed. There was a separate children's area well away from the main area but for some reason was knee-deep throughout, so my son was up to his neck. We preferred the main pool which had a combination of steps, laddders and slopes to get in and out. The tiles were coming off, which I felt should have been fixed, but the pool guy was there every day cleaning and taking readings so I can't say there was no maintenance. The planting was lovely - we loved going through the gardens with my son looking at the different olive and pine trees and sunbathing beneath hibiscus, jasmine and bougainvillea shrubs. We found a little tortoise one day in the grass and there were dragonflies and grasshoppers (didn't see a single cockroach, which I think is a first on a sun holiday!) The first few days there were heaps of sunbeds, but by the last week the ones by the pool mostly had towels on by 9am. Some selfish people didn't come down till 1pm, but there were usually sunbeds available round the garden areas, which we preferred anyway. How people can say there are no sunbeds is beyond me - clearly, if you are getting to the pool at 11am this might be the case, but most things in life are first come first served.

Beach
While the beach was a five minute walk away (10 if you looked at all the graffiti on the cacti on the way, or got talking to the guy with the horse and cart outside) you did have to cross a busy road. Then another road with barely a car in sight which was a beautiful corniche type thing. The beach was fine - full of fag ends (welcome to Tunisia) but nice sand and great for sandcastles. Little fish in the sea tried to eat our feet and my son loved looking for them in the waves! The beach bar does ice cream and snack lunch as well as all inclusive drinks.

Hotel in general
The hotel was cleaned thoroughly every day, but in Tunisian style little attention is paid to detail, like thick grouting used to cover areas of lost tiles, or broken door handles, or paint where it shouldn't be. This didn't really matter much though and wasn't dangerous. The hotel's reception area was really nice, with lots of trees inside, and we loved that there were lots of places to go within the hotel - reading room, coffee room, lots of bars and garden area. I hadn't realised that all inclusive caters mainly to families: I realised that the free drinks stopped at midnight but didn't realise that all the bars shut too! At 12.15 the hotel was a ghost town!

Animation team
I hate animation and this hotel offered no exception. The team were fantastic and seemed to work 24/7. They came round to ask if you wanted to join in but were quite happy to take no for an answer. They offer lots of things and I had a go at archery and my husband did a bit of table tennis. BUT if you are like me and like a quiet time on holiday, don't come to Tunisia. All the hotels had music all day by the pool, loudly when the mini-club, aerobics or water-aerobics called for it. It drove me nuts but everyone else seemed to enjoy it. We went to see the animation one night only and got there in the middle of bingo results or something, so left again for the peace of the bars (and the cocktails). They worked so hard though, I have to give them credit.

General
Considering what we paid, we had a great time. We met a couple who seemed to expect Sandals-style luxury for peanuts - these people don't live in the real world! The hotel looked nice, the gardens looked fantastic, the waiters, cleaners, receptionists and bar staff were excellent. The hotel could do with a bit of minor maintenance and a few A La Carte nights and then it would be perfect. Best tip I can offer if you are going here or anywhere in Tunisia is: learn a few words of Arabic. Hello, Goodbye, please and thank you go a long way here and will make all the difference to the way you are treated.

very nice

by TripAdvisor Member d0lly

i have just returned after been there for 2 wks the weather was lovely couldnt ask for it any nicer and the hotel was very clean and the staff so friendy, the food is always hot and well prepared not my cup of tea but it was edible which is the main thing i did get the runs on the last 4 days not sure what caused them so not blaming the hotel,
leaving the hotel in the resort is not to bad just be strong and say no there is a few fixed price shops so you dont have to do the bartering which was good for me, if you go with thomas cook which i did i would take advantage of the trips as they are good and well worth the money
so i would advice it is well worth a visit

Ideal lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member shellw69

Arrived back today from Yasmin Hammamet. Overall the hoilday and experience was great.
We booked with Thomas Cook and the transfer took about 1hr 20mins. We went on an all inclusive deal.

Hotel
We can recommend this hotel for families and couples of all ages. The first room they gave us didn't have a sunny balcony so we asked and they found us one within a few minutes and we had a lovely view over the pool area and landscaped gardens. The hotel doesnt have a sea view but the beach is just a few minutes away. (Turn right out of the hotel and take the first left..straight onto the beach front). The hotel was clean and the rooms are simply decorated but comfortable. We had maid service everyday cleaning the room etc.
The hotel offers use of the internet at 10 dinars for 2hrs but its dial up..and there is no compromise on the time but you need 2hrs to let the pages load..I had to access it while away but ended up getting nowhere as it was too slow and I asked for my money back..my advice..find an internet cafe (theres one in the medina near the hotel that prob has broadband).

Staff
The restaurant and reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The service was excellent overall.

Money
As it is a closed currency you cant get any dinars until in tunisia..the exchange rate at the hotel is good and we got ours from the reception but you can go to the banks/exchange bureaus too. you cant take any dinars through passport control on your way home so you either have to change it back at the airport or spend it before going through. you can only exchange upto 100 dinars back to sterling and you need to keep your receipts as proof if you need to change them back.
Also you need to keep the entry/exit forms that the cabin crew give you on board on your outbound journey but you can get the exit part at Monastir airport if you lose it

Food
Breakfast was a bit repetitive....if you like eggs in all forms then you will be ok but we got a bit fed-up with it. The sausages were of the tinned hotdog variety but there was a choice of continental style breakfast, fruit and danish pastries. Not sure about the lunch as we only sampled it on the day of arrival. We tended to get a snack at the pool bar which included mini pizza, chicken, salad and chips and pancakes. The evening meal choice was ok..plenty to choose from but beef in many forms was on the menu a lot. We did try duck in orange sauce and quail on a couple of nights and these were delicious. You can also have an a la carte meal in one of the 4 iberostar hotels around the resort. Overall the food was excellent..no upset tummies

Entertainment
Well..where do I begin??? the first thing I have to say is "3-2-1 musica maestro let's go!!!" All will be clear when u go... First night was karaoke and they had a fakir show on Tues night with a guy doing acts with glass and swords..wont say no more as dont want to spoil it. Just to digress a little..quality control were giving out questionnaires on the wed asking about the hotel and entertainment in general..but I think there was a method in their madness so to speak because the entertainment was shameful the rest of the week..(the animation team do work hard all day esp for the youngsters and organising daytime activities for everyone)...BUT seeing grown men crawling about in nappies and taking the mickey out of limbless persons so to speak were part of the comedy sketches..need I say more..suppose it depends on your sense of humour..Im hoping that someone will throw the animation team manager in the pool..now that would be funny!!!..the acts were very amateurish and i felt embarrassed for them..dont get me wrong..I do have a sense of humour but the entertainment was ridiculous.
The hotel has a beach bar and a private section of the beach where you can get soft drinks on all inclusive but you have to pay for snacks.

Resort
Pretty quiet but clean and a lot of building work going on esp around the marina.Not many shops, a few along the sea front, but there is a supermarket at the top of the road ( turn left out of the hotel and walk until you see the blue ice rink on the right)..the fixed price shop ( turn right out of the hotel and follow the road..this also leads to the medina) means no hassle and their prices are cheaper than anywhere.
We went to Hammamet a couple of times and you can get a Noddy train outside the hotel that will take you there ( look for the one that says Nabeul on it). It takes about 20 mins but its better than a taxi..It cost 2.500 dinars each one way, they run about every half hour..Word of warning..make sure you ask for a single ticket as there is often more than one train that runs and you cant use a return on the other train..we nearly got ripped off coming back from Hammamet as he tried to charge us for a return each (total 10 dinar) and we had to ask for our 5 dinar change back..so insist on a single..
the medina in Hammamet is like a maze..there are exit signs everywhere that often lead to a dead end so try and keep your bearings..there is a lovely cafe overlooking the sea and offers a nice welcome break from the hassle..
We did go to Sousse and Port El Kantoaui with T.Cook one day..this is the best way to get to these places unless you want to get a local bus or train from Hammamet or use a louage which is a shared bus with the locals that often have no destination on them in english..its worth paying T.Cook for this trip.. Both places were lovely esp Port El Kantoaui with its marina.

Overall, our trip was very enjoyable and the hotel superb..if you can laugh off the hassle from the locals you will be ok.
Two excellent tips for you...take a good scotch whisky..we took half bottles of Teachers (also Johnnie Walker is popular) and most of the locals will trade for something triple that plus they will trade for mobile phones

Absolutely Brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member fl0wer_girl

Got back from here a few days ago. Had a great time. Weather was scorching - although if we had've gone in the summer i think it would have been a bit too hot, but if you want it hot heres the place to go!
Hotel was amazing - staff very friendly and service was great. The hotel was very clean and the reception was beautiful with all the greenery. Rooms were nice, had all the necessities included and fresh towels and linen every day. Cleaners did tend to come in a bit early for me though, about 8.30, so if you don't want them coming in put the 'do not disturb' sign out at night. Only one day they forgot to give us new towels but rung down to reception and had them within 10mins. Reception staff were very helpful and will do anything they can for you.
Pool was lovely, was quite big so you had room to swim and was in a beautiful setting. Make sure you get up early if you want to go to the pool though cos people put towels out, although hotel staff are told to remove them this doesnt happen. There are a lot of activities put on, personally didn't get involved as this is not really for me but the team work very hard and have long hours so how they keep their energy in that heat amazes me!
Read some reviews before I went saying food was repeatitive. Well we were there for a week and there was something different everyday. Yeah there was the usual pizza chips pasta and burgers everyday, but there was a variety of other dishes every night, desert was a bit repeatitive but theres always fruit and ice cream. Only down side of the restaurant is that you dont get your own drinks, we were all inclusive and you have to wait to be served and this can sometimes take some time. my advice is to ask for a bottle of coke or wine rather than by the glass. Restaurant was very hot as no air-con but you can sit outside if your lucky enough to find a table!
The location of the hotel is good, 5-10min walk to the sandy beach, medina 10 min walk. A few pubs and restaurants around to visit in the evenings.
In the medina you have to be rude. They literally drag you into shops and do not let you leave, hard to just look at something without them pouncing but this is just their culture. Takes a bit of getting used to as not normally rude but really is just best to say not thank you and walk off. You can barter and get good prices for things though, just don't be intimidated!
We went on a couple of trips, if you have children i really suggest you visit frigua animal park, loads of animals and you can get up close with them and have a camel ride for only 2 Dina (about 80p!) Also if you interested in the history then visit carthage and bardou museum, fascinating stuff.
Flight coming home was delayed by a few hours which but a bit of a dampener on the holiday but had a fantastic time. Could not speak more highly about the hotel and the location was great. If you want a relaxing holiday or something where theres things to do, this is the place for you!!!

HOT.. HOT....HOTTER

by karendababe

"TUNISIA IS WELL WORTH THE VISIT"

BOOKED WITH THOMAS COOK.. JULY 8TH STAYED IN HAMMAMET AT THE CHICH KHAN HOTEL.. THE ROOM WAS OVERLOOKING THE GARDENS AND CLOSE TO THE POOL WAS VERY TASTEFULLY DECORATED,SPACIOUS AND CLEANED TO HIGH STANDARD WAS PLEASED FROM START.. HOTEL IS QUITE LARGE WITH PLENTY OF ENTERTAINMENT ESPECIALLY IF YOUR GOING WITH CHILDREN PLENTY TO KEEP THEM AMUSED EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T HAVE CHILDREN WITH ME.. FOOD WAS VERY GOOD WIT PLENTY OF CHOICE EACH NIGHT.. HAS ITS OWN SECTION OF PRIVATE BEACH ABOUT A 5 MIN STROLL TO GET TO IT... CLOSE TO THE SHOPS AND MARKET PLACE WHICH IS OPEN TILL LATE FOR ALL YOUR BARGINING ALSO CAMEL RIDES IN THE EVENING.. A NEW MARINA IS BEING BUILT WHICH IS ALMOST COMPLETE AND IT LOOKS FABULOUS WITH PLENTY OF BARS AND RESTRAUNTS.. YES I WILL BE BACK LOVED IT...

Tunisia, Hammamet, South Hammamet, MedinaTunisia, Hammamet, South Hammamet, Medina

The door behind a treeThe door behind a tree

Best of FriendsBest of Friends