Hotel Cleopatre

Route touristique, El Kantaoui, Box 345, Hammam, Sousse, 4089, Tunisia

More about Sousse

Inside the ribatInside the ribat

Carpets for comfortCarpets for comfort

Skeleton in the catacombsSkeleton in the catacombs

The Colosseum at El DjemThe Colosseum at El Djem

Couple of questions....

by glasgowblue

Hi there,

Can anyone inform me if i'm in danger of being ate alive by mosies in Port El Kantaoui??? I was in Egypt last year and didnt get a single bite but have been to Greece and still bear the scars to this day.
Also, with Tunisia being an Arabic country whats the story here with clothing in the street/beach etc?? I know Sharm El Sheikh was pretty relaxed as it is a tourist destination and wondering if here will be similar.

One more thing, i'm hearing conflicting views on this place, one person said they loved it and the other said they hated it. Can anyone out ther sell it to me in order for me to look forward to it again.
My fingers are crossed Sousse has plenty of sunshine come May..

by hawkhead

Sousse is relaxed regarding clothing, from what I could see. Sorry, can't sell it to you as I thought it was rather horrid - well, I'll qualify that by saying the tourist areas are horrid but if you can go off the beaten track, then it has some redeeming features and will give you a clue to what it once was.

by loonytoon01

Tunisia is an Arabic country with a common law in place since 1956 (most of the other Arabic countries have Shariah), the actual name of the country is Tunisian Republic. The difference btw Tunisia and Egypt is that you do not have to travel across the country with military convoys. That saying, the police is everpresent but there's no need to be scared. Sousse, as well as Hammamet are major tourist resorts so the story with clothing is...pretty relaxed. I do not personally recommend being topless (for females) unless they wanna be harassed. Tunisian girls rarely wear headscarfs, never had to cover their faces, etc. I don't know if you gonna like Tunisia, but if you gonna sit on the beach and do nothing...You'd be bored anywhere! But if you'll go&get to know the history, people and places...It's amazing how stable they are in some things and how long and turbulent their history is. The monuments left by Romans (e.g.Dougga)is something to be seen. Sahara is an alluring place. There are so many things that writing all would take ages. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia for intro info. No mosies. Been there working&living more than 7 months. Had no problems with whatever. And May was really sunny!

by phayao

I won't say "I love Tunis" as it has a long way to go if they wish to be a permanent destination for international tourism, but it is a country well worth the visit.
The main attractions: warm weather, friendly people, reasonable good tourist infrastructure, Punic ruins, wonderful Roman mosaics, good beaches, relaxing atmosphere, social and religious tolerance, good roads, cheap prices, easily reached by air from Europe, safe streets and interesting places to visit.
Sousse has good hotels, a long and clean beach, an interesting medina (old walled city), Chistian catacombs and craftsmanship shops.

by mary444

the first time I went to tunisia, I was just doing tourist things, and it was ok, but not brilliant. the second time I went was because i got a really cheap deal for a last minute holiday. the difference then was that I got away from the tourist areas and discovered the real tunisia. Did I love it? I'm going for my 7th trip in a couple of weeks time! Guess that answers the question. When I go now I stay with Tunisian people, and every time I come home, I'm busy trying to figure out how soon I can get back there.

When I was there in March this year there were no mosquitos. April last year I was almost eaten alive until I got hold of some good old deet. When I went in May before there were some mosquitos but not many

Travel Tips for Sousse

Bedouin and folklore centre

by Minerva

The Bedouin and folklore centre (Sidi Bou Ali) was a colourful and joyful experience, a lot of dancing, singing, juggling, traditional costumes and food.
I was one of the visitors who was dressed up in traditional clothes and danced on stageā€¦ a bit embarrassed I must say, but I had fun.

Exploring the Medina alleyways

by sandysmith

Just wandering around the medina - whether the covered souks or the narrow stepped streets - was such a riot of colour and characters. So much to take in an photograph, a real visual delight.
Amongst the shops are some delightful little cafes with tunisian delicacies and most popularly freshly squeezed orange juice - surely the most juciest I've ever had.

Turkish Hamman

by sandysmith

The turkish bath house or hamman is still very popular. Many locals do not have thier own bathrooms but cleanliness is very important to them. This one was in the midst of the medina and had separate times for men and women - wish we had time to enjoy (or is it endure) one - from my memories of one in Turkey they are quite invigorating and very good for cleansing the skin. Often hotels will have a hamman service for guests.

Railway lines......

by leics

Place Farhat Hached is a huge 'square' (except it's not a square), thronged with traffic and people. Horns blare, engines roar, caleches trot past (ok, they mostly have to walk........), police blow their whistles, pedestrians wander at will between the cars (zebra crossings exist, but mean nothing), huge lorries push their way through the traffic en route from the docks (the ships are so near they look as if they are in the 'square itself).

It's a chaotic place, fascinating to sit in the shade and watch it all happening.

Hoe much more chaotic must it have been when there was a railway line across it as well? The train to Sfax no longer crosses the square, but you can still see the lines in the gap between Boulevard Yahia Ibn Omar and Avenue Mohammed Maarouf, to the north-west of the 'square'.

Caleches and Taxis

by sandysmith

Just opposite the tourist train stop by the harbour ae the caleches - the usual horse and carriage rides for tourists - can't tell you how much, we didn't take one of these. Yellow taxis are widely availbale - be sure to agree price first or ensure they put the meter on - I ;m sure they try and pull a fast one with tourists. Another type of taxi is the louage - a shared minivan (they have red stripes) with goes to various destinations for fixed fee when full.

Comments