Sarra Hotel

Route Touristique, Tozeur, 2200, Tunisia

More about Tozeur

The pool, and the golf behind itThe pool, and the golf behind it

More brickworkMore brickwork

Old town of Chebika - used for The English PatientOld town of Chebika - used for The English Patient

Beautiful sceneryBeautiful scenery

Travel Tips for Tozeur

the trains of tozeur - and the medina

by call_me_rhia

As a teenager I used to listen to this sogn by Franco Battiato, an Italian songwriter, about the trains of Tozeur... the name had a mystical spell... For years I longed to go there, and when i eventually made it there, the trains had long gone. Alas, bad luck once again the particular architecture of the city - really bizarre. My personal highlight was the Medina - my very first Medina - it looked like anything I would have expected - if i had only known what to expect.

Looking for a place to camp in the palm-grove

by JLBG

This is an old picture, taken in 1974. At that time, there was no camping. A young man had approached us as a guide and he offered to camp with our caravan in the palm-grove of his family, close to the oued that drains the water from the 200 springs of the oasis.

Children playing in the oued

by JLBG

The children played in the oued, which was the coolest spot of the oasis. Thus, they could endure the temperature very easily. However, whilst 55°C at day time was not too difficult to handle, 48°C (118°F) all night long was much more a problem ! At that temperature, when I took my camera, as it was completely dark, I felt at first that it had been heated in the oven !

Swimming in Tozeur

by barryg23

After spending the morning camel trekking in the desert and the rest of the day exploring the Chott el-Jerid in very high temperatures, we were very tired by the time we reached Tozeur. So instead of doing anything too tiring, we went swimming in the Oasis hotel. It costs 6Dinars for non residents though you could easily wnader in and they'd never know.

The pools (there were two of them) were in a lovely spot just beneath the tress of the oasis, which began right behind the hotel. The water was very cold and we had it to ourselves. It was exremely refreshing and really cleared the cobwebs. There weren't too many people on the terrace. Just us and a rather incongrous couple - a young Tunisian man and an elder, fifty-something European lady. This would be quite a common sight in tunisia, especially in the more touristy areas. After 30 minutes swimming we had our fill of it, so we sat out and read (me) and rlaxed (Ruth) in the sun. It was by now after 5pm, though the sun was still fairly high. Though this hotel might be more touristy than where we were staying (Warda) it was still very nice!

Zoo - the desert fox

by croisbeauty

There are number of species in the Zoo and all of them live in the desert of Sahara. Here you can see Coke-drinking dromedary, which was very funny, but these desert foxes attracted me the most. They are amazingly cute with that huge ears on proportionaly small body.

Comments