Murchison Falls National Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• emeybee profile photo emeybee
  • Reviews: 14

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Red Chili Campground/Hotel?: Inexpensive accomodation at Murchison Falls

I am setting this as a campground, because that's where I stayed, however they also had cabins. I didn't stay in those so I can't tell you anything about them... the tents were fine, they had beds in them so you weren't sleeping on rocks and bedding so you don't have to worry about bringing a sleeping bag. They were definintely tents though, so when the wind and rain picked up at night it was hard to get a good nights sleep. If you're used to camping that probably won't bother you so much but my wimpy self was tired the next day...

I stayed as part of a mini safari package, so I don't know what the exact rate is, but I remember from my early research that it was pretty inexpensive, especially compared to the other places in the area.

I found it cool, but others might find it worrisome, that wild boar roamed around. They stuck to themselves though, so if you don't pester them they'll most likely return the favor.

The food was decent, better than you'd expect from a campground but less than you'd expect from a nice restaurant, so it depends what you're looking for.

The place is very inexpensive, and if you want luxury you'll probably also be willing to pay the bigger bucks at the fancy lodges nearby.

Amazing sunsets, great location in the center of Murchison Falls, which I assume is why you're staying there.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Camping, Jungle and Rain Forest, Photography
  • Written June 10, 2006
Tip Photo

The locals...

• glabah profile photo glabah
  • Reviews: 2508

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sambiya River Lodge: Bed, Breakfast, and Bats

The package system included picking up our small group of approx. 8 people, delivering them to the lodge, meals, game drive one morning, a visit to the falls, and a trip on the Nile River to see wildlife and the lower part of the falls.

The river lodge and the Afri Tours tour company appear to be affiliated with eachother.

The lodge actually has multiple cabins associated with it. People eat in the main lodge, but stay in cabins. The cabins each feature two rooms each, and there is a door between the two rooms that can be opened to make one large room (otherwise this door is locked).

The lodge is fairly remote, and the electricity comes from a generator. This generator is fairly far away from the cabins, but it is still possible to hear a low rumble when it is turned on. It turns off every night about 10:30 or so. At that point, you need to rely on your own lighting (flashlight, candles provided in the room, etc.).

The only complaint that a couple of the girls had is that they got a room with bats in it, and so there were problems at night in that room. The rest of us (who had no bats) had few problems.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Photography, Safari
  • Written November 11, 2003
Tip Photo

Sambiya River Lodge cabin. There are about 15.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful