Kabale Hotels

Our Members Say

• muguruki profile photo muguruki
  • Reviews: 476

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

New Sunland Motel: Don't Stay here!

The room here looked perfectly acceptable when it was shown to me. It was a room with a separate toilet and bathroom “All self contained are full we only have these rooms here, down“, meaning the non self contained rooms. I was told by the girl on reception. I wasn’t going to roam the streets for another place as the two places I was looking for that were listed in the latest Bradt guide book no longer exist. So I took the room for 10,000 UGX.

It wasn’t until I went to bed that night that I realised that underneath the bed sheet was a plastic sheet, so every time I changed position in bed the sheet beneath me would crackle and rustle. It was like sleeping on a giant crisp packet.

Possibly the plastic under-sheet was in place because the Bakiga people that make up most of the population of Kabale have a slack bladder problem. I know a teenage boy on the seat diagonally in front of me on the bus coming to Kabale pissed himself while he was asleep. I was also reminded of the quaint Bakiga wedding ceremony where the bride’s brothers in law to be place their hands on a stool and the bride has to urinate on their hands. When I mentioned this ceremony to a Bakiga friend of mine I was disappointed to find out that this charming piece of culture is dying out.

Anyway wherever you stay in Kabale I reckon it is best to give the bed a quick feel before you pay for the room.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive