Kampala Hotels

Our Members Say

• explore_discover profile photo explore_discover
  • Reviews: 229

Aponye Hotel: Economical and Comfortable

Gonna be sort of BLIND DATE found it on google map, contacted by e.mail for rate and got prompt reply, single room UGSH40,000 Double 65,000 and Delux (Twin/Double) 85,000 (Payment in Dollar is higher then Uganda Shiling) free wifi, central location, breakfast for UGSH6,000

Middle of the Town Quite and Comfortable Rooms, with the Large Terrace

• WWilly profile photo WWilly
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Speke Resort Munyonyo Hotel: Uganda's worst Hotel Experience

DO NOT GO THERE. I invited a family friend along with his three children and wife for the new-year (2013). I reserved two units of their two bed roomed furnished apartments but to our surprise one dining table was suspicious covered with linen at check-in . Little did we know that they were covering up a broken glass which they later made us pay (close to 200USD) at checkout. It was very embarrassing to my guests and family. The management was adamant at one point even mentioning that for the absence of hot water in one of the units, it was our responsibility to inform then rather than theirs to confirm the room stated prior to our Check-in. Despite having been a regular client before I found the treatment totally unacceptable as it even culminated in locking up our luggage and holding us in their control room prior to paying what we didn't break. I had also been there for the 2011 xmas and the diner was over congested with dignitaries eating while standing for lack of seats. I DON NOT ADVISE ANY BODY TO GO THERE

Rooms are well furnished but wall finishes and capentry leaves a lot to be desired, rigid resturant menu, be carefull you may pay for what you didnt break, as we did for a table we knew nothing about. Staff are not warm

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written January 16, 2013

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton: High on a hill

I was having a nice quiet beer in a bar in Old Kampala when I realised there was a new building being constructed somewhere upon a hill above the Bondo rd. I asked a guy who worked in the bar as to if he knew what was being built on the horizon. He told me he believed that it was a Hilton Hotel that was being built.

It is certainly in a really nice position on a hill looking over the city centre but when its complete I don’t know.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 18, 2011

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

City Hotel: I'll never come back

Arriving late in Kampala several hotels that I checked were all full up. Desperate to crash, I ended up climbing two sets of steep stairs at the City Hotel very close to Nakasero Market. They did have a room but that was up another flight of stairs. Too tired after the long journey from Nairobi I decided to take the room despite thinking I was paying far too much for a scruffy room with a dirty bathroom down the end of the corridor.

The bar is alright mind!

My scruffy netless room cost 25,000 UGX

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written January 7, 2011

Olympia Hotel: Olympia Hotel in Kampala

Olympia Hotel is located beside Marble Arch Hotel, behind a gravel backroad in Kasanga towards the Munyonyo area. This hotel was too far away from the nightlife Kabalagala. It is said that many foreigners stay here, but I saw only local guests when I was here. The price is 25000 UGS (12 USD) for a very small single room. 45000 UGS (20 USD) for a dbl.room.

Olympia Hotel in Kampala

Marble Arch Hotel: Marble Arch Hotel in Kampala

Marble Arch Hotel is located beside Olympia Hotel, behind a gravel backroad in the opposite end of Kasanga area towards Munyonyo area. This hotel was too far away from the nightlife in Kabalagala. The hotel has a nice athmosphere The price is 50000 UGS (23 USD) for a dbl. room. Breakfast is included in the price.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Photography, Jungle and Rain Forest

Marble Arch Hotel in Kampala

Hotel International: Hotel International Kampala

Hotel International is a large hotel in Muyenga with good view to Lake Victoria and Kampala suburbs. The hotel has a nice swimmingpool, which makes the price higher.
Singel room was 120000 UGS (54 USD), double room was 155000 UGS (70 USD).

Nice swimmingpool and barberque restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

Hotel International, Kampala

Hotel Diplomat: Hotel Diplomat on top of the hill

Hotel Diplomat is in Muyenga, 3,5 km south east of Kampala downtown. It is on the highest summit of all hills in Kampala with a great view to the suburbs of Kampala and Lake Victoria. The street towards the hotel is very steep and it takes 10-15 minutes to walk from the main road.
The hotel was founded in 1980 by the consul of Pakistan, and houses today the Pakistan Embassy inside the hotel.
I was there and asked for a room, but I found the hotel a bit too far away from the action in Kabalagala. However, the staff was very friendly and the hotel is a romantic place with the best view in Kampala. Prices from 35 USD (Standard room) to 79 USD (Suite).

e-mail: diplomatekampala@hotmail.com

• Related to: Photography, Jungle and Rain Forest, Arts and Culture

Hotel Diplomat, Kampala

La Grande Chez Johnson Hotel: Chez Johnson Hotel

La Grande Chez Johnson Hotel is located 100 metres from Muyenga Rest Corner, and is close to the bars and nightlife in the Kabalagala and Kansanga area. I stayed here for two nights. The hotel was constructed in 2007 and the facade look nice with the balconies. The rooms are OK, beds with mosquito net. But the bathroom is not good. The price is 49000 USH (22 USD) a night. Accomodation must be paid on arrival. A very simple breakfast is included in the price.

Chez Johnson Hotel, Kampala

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Kenrock: Hotel Kenrock. Cheap and good

Hotel Kenrock is located 50 metres from Muyenga Rest Corner, and it is close to the bars and nightlife in the Kabalagala and Kansanga area. I stayed here for three nights. I can recommend this hotel. It was the best hotel I found to that cheap price. The rooms are good, bed with mosquito net, clean bathroom with new tiles. Dbl.room costs 31000 USH (14 USD) a night. Accomodation must be paid on arrival. Breakfast is not included.

Go to Google Earth and paste the GPS coordinates:
0° 18' 2.0600" N 32° 36' 29.2200" E

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Photography, Jungle and Rain Forest

Hotel Kenrock, Kampala

• Greatwalk0 profile photo Greatwalk0
  • Reviews: 280

Emin Pasha: Great Hotel, Bad Internet

The Emin Pasha is one of the best hotels in Kampala, hands down. It sports a wonderful garden, well kept swimming pool, fabulous restaurant, clean and rustic rooms, and friendly staff. The only draw back??? The internet connection in the hotel (WiFi and landline) is TERRIBLE!!!

I fell in love with the hotel otherwise (and, frankly, having an excuse not to do work was kind of nice). Being located in the Nakasero, near Kampala's main business district, the Emin Pasha is a luxurious escape from the busy city. Enjoy the on-site spa. Relax near the beautiful pool. Or enjoy a drink in the gardens after work.

If internet connectivity isn't important for you, you will absolutely love this place!

Note: like many hotels in Uganda, the Emin Pasha charges an additional 5% if you pay using a credit card.

The included breakfast is FIVE STAR! Enjoy gourmet breakfast quesadilla or Eggs Benedict, or any other of the many fabulous options. This is not your average continental breakfast!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel
  • Written April 1, 2010

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Backpackers: Tourist Hotel and Camp Site

The thought of going all the way to Africa and staying at a place that only serves western food, and a place that is full of westerners seems totally bizarre to me. I really can’t see why so many people want to go to a country and cut themselves off from the country they are visiting by surrounding themselves with all the ‘comforts’ of home.

Backpackers is one such place. I never stayed here but as I was walking past thought I would pop in to see why on earth anyone would want to stay here.

Backpackers is situated in a big green plot on the Mengo road. On the day I was there it seemed quiet till I noticed that there were four guests there but I could see that all four guests had their heads buried into their laptops.

The food on the menu was western with prices similar to what you would find in the west rather than what you find in downtown Mengo. Full works breakfast 7,000 and pizzas going from 12,000 to 17,000UGX.

A single room was reasonable enough at 20,000.

Camping is also possible here.

• Written March 29, 2010

Boston Guest House: My new Kampala home

I asked one of the waitresses in the Bhumi bar where she suggested I should stay now that the Mukwano was so poor. I wanted to pay something around the 20-25,000 mark for a self contained room in the same area of town near Old Taxi Park and Owino. She pointed me in the direction of the Boston, and I am so glad she did.

Prices here started at 14,000 for a bog standard room without a bathroom and steadily went up n price to rooms with carpets and satellite TV. For 22,000 I was more than happy with a large self contained room that had a big bed table and chair, mossie net and a fan. Hot water was available you just had to flick the switch of the immersion heater that was just outside my door in the hall.

The Manager here is a funny bloke he couldn’t do enough for me. I think he is well keen to attract Bazungu to his hotel, he even wore a T-shirt that read.”My name is not Muzungu”. He showed me all sorts of different rooms and insisted that the security was very good and went into great detail as to the punishment he dishes out to a thief if he ever comes across one in his hotel.

I was surprised to find that in the morning at around 8:30 I would get a knock on the door and a young girly was stood there with a breakfast i didn't know I was entitled to.

Well I say breakfast it was two pices of buttered bread a banana and milk tea. I told the girl that I don't take milk and the next day she apeared with a black tea she had especially made for Muguruki the awkward bugger. Bless her!

• Written February 26, 2010

The view of Soprite from Boston Guest House

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3677

ASTORIA HOTEL: CHEAP IN TOWN

The Astoria is a simple, concrete, tower block hotel just across from the shared taxi ‘station’. It is a couple of floors above a shopping precinct and goes on for what seems eternity. Only people who are physically fit to climb stairs with luggage should stay here. What do you get in return for this climb? The rooms are big, clean, have good beds, the staff are nice and security is armed at night. You also have an almost roof top bar with music and cold beer where you can definitely mix with local people. You can also see a fair amount of Kampala.

I stayed in room 538 which overlooks the shared taxi area. Needless to say it was loud, especially during the day. I suggest you contact them ahead of timer and ask for an odd-numbered room and specify a mid-level floor not facing the 'Old Taxi Park'.

The rooms have comfortable beds, cleaned daily, closet space, TV, fan (no need for A/C), refrigerator, modern toilet and shower. They also have some flip flops for you to use to prevent slipping and athlete’s foot. Towels were also changed daily.

All in all, it’s a cheap hotel by downtown Kampala standards – but a good hotel. I paid 90,000 for 4 nights. With the exchange rate at the time I wrote this tip that would be about $12 (US) a night. I am good at haggling and time has moved on. Definitely insist on a discount if you stay multiple nights. Just get a single night price and start haggling!

• Low price
• 2 blocks from the main Market and Post Office
• Clean and comfortable
• Staff are friendly
• Has a high rise bar with live music (you get in free)
• Clean
• Safe

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Singles
  • Written January 14, 2009

ASTORIA HOTEL

• croisbeauty profile photo croisbeauty
  • Reviews: 7392

Naalya: Guest house

I rented apartment in the Kampala's suburb called Naalya, which is located about 10 km far from the city centre. It was consisted of bedroom, dining room, small kitchen and bathroom. In front of the apartment there was small terrace and nice courtyard with green grass which I shared with my neighboures. The only problem I had with the very complicated way of locking and unlocking massive iron gate.
The apartment is situated on the top of the hill from where I had nice view all over to neighbouring Ntinda.

First and most important, my accomodation was situated in a very safe part of Naalya. Moreover, it has high parapet all around the complex which made me to feel more secure. Not of less importance, it was in a very quiet zone with lots of greenery and my mornings started with birds singings.
My accomodation cost me 100 euros per month and since I spend two weeks there it is less than 10 euros per day.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive