Luanshya Hotels

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Flats at ZIT: Modest Interiors

Towards the end of my 2-years at the Zambia Institute of Technology, when accommodations needs became more acute, both my dog Waldo and I moved into an upstairs flat with my Danish buddy Torben so a couple could have my previous flat. As you can see here, Torben was more adept than I in the skills of interior decorating! The second photo shows a group of Castle beer-drinking Canadian University Service Overseas (CUSO) volunteers meeting in my original flat, still equipped with the orange-coloured drapes and furniture that I inherited on moving in. The lady, Helen, had arrived with me in Luanshya and her fantastic cooking helped to keep many of we men volunteers going in those early days! The chap in the middle was a CUSO executive from Lusaka while Jan, on the right, was a Czech refugee from the 1968 Soviet invasion of his country. He had emmigrated to Canada and was also a CUSO staff member at ZIT (and came with me to Malawi on my first tourist expedition after arriving in Zambia).

I was always a bit of a self-contained guy, so the lack of a TV, radio or stereo system in my single flat did not bother me. I used my time to read more books than I had ever read before or since in my life and also kept up on current events through newspapers and magazines. I had begun playing Chess while still in school, so (when I was not playing softball or tennis) it was also a great chance to brush up on all the openings and strategies with the help of chess books as well as playing in regular matches and tournaments. Life was pretty good!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Road Trip
  • Written November 11, 2006
Tip Photo

A cup of tea as I wake-up

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

Zambian Institute of Technology Flats: Modern and comfortable flats

I was very happy to find myself alloted to a comfortable flat on the ZIT campus in Luanshya as soon as I arrived to begin my 2-year posting. Like everything else at ZIT, it seemed to be very modern construction and had all the necessary conveniences. My particular flat was one of six in the building, located at ground level and it consisted of a living/dining room, kitchen, toilet with a bath/shower and two bedrooms. The building was located on the spacious grounds of the campus in the outer suburbs of Luanshya and a clothesline in the rear provided ample opportunity for drying laundry in the Zambian sunshine.

The floors were polished tiles (due to termite issues) covered by the odd rug while louvered windows provided a means to get a refreshing breeze flowing through the rooms. A small front porch provided a nice place to sit sipping on a cold Castle beer if the louvers were not providing sufficient relief! That reminds me, I remember watching some truly wild and violent tropical downpours and lightning storms in November when the the 'rains' finally came to finish off the 'hot' season! As usual in the tropics, the outburst was soon finished and the sunshine was quickly back. There was also plenty of room to park my car directly in front of my flat. The cost of accommodations was quite reasonable and was deducted directly out of my paycheque. I was surprised to find that Luanshya had home delivery of milk, so I would get a couple of small cartons every day or two to keep the refrigerator stocked. I never had any break-in issues while living there, so left well contented with what had been my home for 2-years.

• Opinion of Price: N/A