Cresta Lodge Harare

More about Harare

Flamboyant Tree, Harare, ZimbabweFlamboyant Tree, Harare, Zimbabwe

BedroomBedroom

Salisbury/Harare blooming!Salisbury/Harare blooming!

jacarandas in bloomjacarandas in bloom

Where to Stay? Accomodations in Harare

by Diaspora

Good day All!
I am hoping you all can assist me with some travel tips for Harare Zimbabwe. I am looking for a fairly cheap place to stay.

Budget is approximately $10-20 US/day.

Want to be in the heart of Harare however don't want to end up in a place that doubles as a brothel.

Also, looking for evening venues that might just give me that long awaited chance to hear Oliver Mutukudzi.

Thanks a bunch in advance! Oh, also any travellers headed to Zim in February please jot me a line I would love to meet for coffe and exchange notes.

Thanks all!
Diaspora

Re: Where to Stay? Accomodations in Harare

by Les7x7

Hello Diaspora,

I think you will love Harare. It is a very beautiful city and the weather is fantastic. It will be very hot in February, so make sure to take a lot of light clothing. The temperature does drop down a few degrees at night. I have been away for a few years from Zimbabwe now living in Canada, but do keep in touch.

Most Hotels are comparable in price to your usual North American or European Hotels. I am not sure where you can get a place for $10-20 US/day unless you know someone who can host you in their home at that price or some bed and breakfast places. If I find out any information about cheaper places I will let you know. By the way Harare is not your usual African city, but more like a well developed metropolitan city much like any American or European city. The difference is that Harare has high density and low density suburbs.

I hope you get to see Oliver Mutukudzi live in concert. he is an excellent musician. Best regards!

Les.

Re: Re: Where to Stay? Accomodations in Harare

by dentisto

My wite and I are hoping to travel to Zimbabwe from Frankfort in Mid January. We are Canadians and have tthe Canada Frankfort portion booked. Any idea on reasonably price d flights betweeen Europe and Southern Africa? Thanks, Dave Hett, Yukon

Re: Re: Where to Stay? Accomodations in Harare

by Les7x7

Hi Dentisto,

My apologies for the delay in replying you. I have not been on my sight for a few days due to work.

When I travel to Zimbabwe, I usually use fly KLM via Air Canada. It has been a while for me now since I last visited Zim. I know air Zimbabwe Flies from Gatwick Airport in London and British Airways from Hithrow. Prices are probably comparable, but I would check both airlines to see which is the cheaper way to go. Some people also go through South Africa by South African Airways and then take a charter plane to Harare. I am not sure if that's cost effective or not. You can maybe check that out too.

I hope this gives you a starting point. Sorry, I do not have any specific information at the moment. If I find out anything, I will e-mail you ASAP.

Best Regards
Les

Travel Tips for Harare

Test yourself in the...

by lichinga

Test yourself in the recognition of the two overlapping-though-not-mixing universes which cohexist in Harare. The 'Whites' and the 'Blacks'... two worlds apart, walking in the same city, but not in the same place; buying the same foods, but not in the same shops; living in the same city, but not in the same areas. Long, clean, perfecly kept and shadowed roads in the residential areas of Northern Harare: Alexandra, Marlborough, Avondale.... The remnants of a long reign which was kept as in a museum by Lancaster House agreements, which granted Zimbabwe independence by the acceptance of a 10-year freezing of 'Whites' power.

Chinhoyi Caves National Park

by Waxbag

Just north of Harare are the Chinhoyi Caves National Park. These caves are a nice attraction but not mind blowing. There are a couple of short trails that send you into the dolimite sinkhole. The water is the best part as it is increadibly blue and clear. The Chrirodzira Pool is 90 m deep and lovely.

It is a National Park which is unfortunate because you have to pay National Park prices for this little side trip. But, it think it is worth seeing if you are interested in caves.

Harare - Capital of Zimbabwe

by kentishgirl

This page will be another one page place, as I know that I never saw enough of Harare to leave tips.

We drove into Harare, as our first stop in Zimbabwe, we had just travelled from Malawi via Mozambique.

Harare is a big city, and like any big city has numerous sides to it.
At the time we were in Zimbabwe the economy was in shatters, there was no petrol, so as you can see in my pic a capital city with hardly any traffic.
Most people were hitching rides, ambulances couldnt run, planes were grounded.

We drove through Harare and outside of the city near the airport to where we were staying. Fields all around were black, from where the government had burned their fields and crop. The campsite we stayed in was surrounded by these fields.

All this said, Zimbabwe was one of the favourite countries, the people are soooooooo friendly, and they are delighted that the few travellers who pass through the country are still doing so. We travelled by overland truck for most of the way, I have no idea how you would get around it you didnt have your own wheels and supply of petrol.

I will leave a doctors tip later on this page - she was the best doctor I encountered on my trip!

Harare- Capital of Zimbabwe

by yurxlnc

"Harare"

Harare is the capital of Zimbabwe.It was named after the first Shona inhabitants , the Ne-Harawa. I visited it several times in the 1980s, and also Mutare and Bulawayo.
It used to be the cleanest and safest city in Africa, if not the world.The buildings are a mixture of high-rise office blocks and historic buildings. There are many parks filled with trees and other open spaces

When I was there the economy was flourishing, but the situation may have changed in recent years.

"The jacaranda tree"

My strongest memories of this beautiful country are of the jacaranda tree. It's purple blossom covers the town in season.

the_dutchman's new Harare Page

by the_dutchman

At the time of our visit, Zimbabwe was a wonderful, friendly and very safe country to visit.
To bad that things have deteriorated in the last couple of years to the detriment of all people involved. Check my travelogue for more information and sights to see in Zimbabwe.
There are more pictures of Zimbabwe on my EXTERNAL HOME PAGE. www.geocities.com/the_dutchmanca

Comments