Savanna Lodge

HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Poor

• magor65's Profile Photo

A place for backpackers

Savanna Lodge is a place for backpackers. There are some dorms (with four or five beds), twinbedded and double rooms. We stayed in a twin-bedded room which was small, dark and a bit like a prison cell. The showers are shared. On the brighter side - there's a nice outside area with some deck-chairs and a pool, an open bar-lounge area where they serve breakfast. The breakfast is substatial (fried eggs, toast, coffee) and costs about five dollars.
    On the first night we were welcomed by a group of tribal dancers who gave a 10 minute show for us.
    The staff are friendly anfd helpful.
    Overall impression: it could be better but can do for not picky budget travellers.

More about Victoria Falls

Zimbabwe Visa on arrivalZimbabwe Visa on arrival

Clutching my Colcom ham outside Vic Falls stationClutching my Colcom ham outside Vic Falls station

Victoria Falls town, ZimbabweVictoria Falls town, Zimbabwe

Victoria Falls town, ZimbabweVictoria Falls town, Zimbabwe

Visas for Victoria Falls for Australians

by houseswapper

I have totally overlooked my visa situation for visiting Victoria Falls!
I am an Australian and will be leaving in 2 weeks time and as I am still waiting for my passport to be returned from the Brazilian Consulate which has taken 2 months. I will not have time to apply for visas to Zambia and Zim before I go.
Is it a reliable situation to get the visa on arrival. I don't want to book any trips till I am sure.
I would like to see all there is to see at Vic Falls and then over to Chobi and possibly Kasane then back to Livingstone to catch the flight to Jo/burg. Is that a multiple exit type visa?
I found a very reasonable package with Vic Falls Safari Lodge and Chobe Game Lodge.
Is it tricky to go to Zimbawe re visa and also is it safe in that area?
Hope someone has the latest on the visas and safety.

by qaminari

You should ask the embassies concerned for official information, and it would have helped to know exactly how you are arriving - where are you flying to from Johannesburg? Anyway, Australians can get a 30-day tourist visa on arrival in Zimbabwe for 30 USD single entry, 45 USD double entry, 55 USD multiple entry - see http://zimbabwe-embassy.us/subpage6.html. For Zambia, you can either get a multiple-entry visa on arrival or else pay each time you cross the border (at least for day trips). Chobe is of course in Botswana, but unless something has changed, Australians don't need visas for tourist stays of up to 90 days in that country.

by houseswapper

Thanks for that. I will fly in from Jo/burg. Can a visa be obtained at the airport?

by JohanIsWeg

Mate, we visited Vic Falls traveling from South Africa via Botswana (crossing at Parrs Halt) to Zambia - circumventing Zim completely. We had absolutely no dramas getting visas at the border.

by CatherineReichardt

Hi
No problem at all getting a visa on arrival in Vic Falls, although it's not all that well organised. Try if possible to get a visa application form on the plane (although for some reason I have never understood, they don't always have them - ideally try and see if you can get one from your travel agent in advance) so that you can fill it out in advance and proceed straight through to immigration, thereby hopefully avoiding the chaotic scrum in the arrivals hall! Just be sure that you have cash in USD - now the currency in Zim.
The Zambian visa can also be obtained on arrival.
As an Aussie, you don't need a visa for Botswana.
Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
Regards
Cathy

by houseswapper

Thanks for the advice. As always with little gems that makes travelling so much easier.
I am looking for must see places with different animal habitats to the North of Kruger. My first 3 days is in Marloth Park and I can visit around the south of Kruger. I am hoping that I can do another 3 day up around the middle either in Kruger or surrounding areas and then I have another 3 days planned with a different focus perhaps animal rehabitation.
Being a budget traveller with a hired car, I will not be going for the expensive package, so if anyone has been there and done that,your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Likewise, Chobi and Kasane.
Eternally grateful to all you wise and well-travelled virtual tourists!

Travel Tips for Victoria Falls

a Helicopter flight

by B_Caro

During my trip in Zimbabwe (take a look at it to read more about my trip in Zimbabwe), I also spend a few hours in Zambia. In fact it was nothing more then a 30 minute flight above the falls and the drive to & from the heliport ;-)

Arriving at the campground in Vic falls, there are a lot of people outside the campsite who offers you helicopter flights, rafting, bungee-jumping and other activities. Vic Falls is full of these kind of tour operators.

I liked the idea of a helicopter flight above the falls, so it didn’t take me long to decide. Finally we were with 4 to go.

The flight started from the Zambian side of the falls.

In the afternoon, they picked us up with a jeep and we went to heliport. After some formalities, first at the border, then at the agency, we finally could start.

Actually I felt sick from the first moment that the helicopter took off (and I felt that way during the whole flight)

But ok, that didn’t keep me from taking a lot of pictures and enjoying the views. But I was very glad when I felt the earth again under my feet. ;-))

We chose to do a 30 minutes flight. Besides the falls, we would also fly upstream , seeing the Zambesi and a game park, and downstream, there where the wild Zambesi is popular for rafters.

Victoria Falls town

by georeiser

Victoria Falls town is a town in the province of Matabeleland North in Zimbabwe. The population is 20,000 people. The town lies less than 2 km south of the Zambezi river, and it takes 15 minutes to walk from the falls. Victoria Falls was a vibrant town before the political crises in 2001. The situation has become better since 2008, and some more tourists find their way to the town. (Read the nightlife tips...)

RAINCOAT RENTALS

by DAO

Rent a raincoat? That’s what I said. I started by seeing the Falls from the Zambia side during the dry season. I walked with 2 Zambian guys halfway across the Falls – no problem. The next day I was about to enter the Zimbabwe side when I saw signs for ‘RAINCOAT RENTALS’. What!? I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. Even during the dry season, the Zimbabwe side lives up to the name “Smoke that thunders”. The smoke is actually the spray generated by the falls year round on this side. Millions of litres of water a SECOND go over the edge. A lot of the water atomises before it reaches the bottom and floats away. Several of the lower vantage points are mini tropical rainforests compete with animals. You are going to get wet! So for $1-2 (no more) you can be slightly dryer. Enjoy!

Booking activities

by LA_Mer

If you are looking to book activities in Vic Falls, I recommend chatting with Mags Varley at Backpackers Bazaar. She and her husband Leon (with whom I did a walking safari in Hwange) run this office and a backpackers lodge in town. They are great folks and their office is very friendly and honest. I enjoyed working with them and hanging out with them socially. The office is on Boabab Street, check it out.

Stuff to do

by littlebush

The falls themself are in a national park, about a 20 minute walk from town. It costs $20 to get into the NP. The gorge which they flow into is a mile wide and they are spectacular seen from the air or on the ground. You can follow a set of paths around the falls inside the park. I went in December which is the start of the wet season and a good time to go as the water isnt too powerful and so not too much spray! In high season, although the water is more spectacluar, apparently its hard to see anything due to the spray! Apart from the falls, there are loads of activities to do, see the must do section for those. Vic Falls has a good nightlife scene, not much tp choose from but plenty of tourists there drinking so we had plenty of good nights out! Apart from drinking, the falls were spectacular and the flight over them was cool! otherwise didnt do much else as it was too expensive!

Comments