Burma Hotels

Our Members Say

• phantomarty profile photo phantomarty

Myint Myat Guest House: Myint Myat

On the 8th floor of a building, serviced by an lift that may only be operated with a security pass held by a guard, who's usually by the lift landing. Excellent service by Moses. Speaks good English, but don't speak too rapidly. The guest house has a black taxi/car at 11,000 - 12,000 kyat per hour for hire. Yummy simple breakfast every morning from 7am to 10 or 11am, white bread that can be toasted, with butter and jam, coffee or tea or orange juice (more like a flavoured drink, really), and a fried egg. Basic room, towels and a toothbrush kit provided, didn't use the tiny bottles of labelled "Shampoo". Television with NHK and some English channels. Fan and air conditioning available - didn't need to use the AC at all (I travelled in January). A trishaw ride away from Pazundaung train station, where you can get a ticket on the circular train for USD 1, make sure you get the one meant for tourists.

Breezy breakfast area, very enjoyable in the mornings.

• Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 26, 2014

• TheAndos profile photo TheAndos
  • Reviews: 93

Winner Hotel, Kalaw: Good location

The rooms were clean, wood floor and panelling. Beds were fine. Bathroom a little tired and had to use the hand shower whilst sitting in bath. Kettle. Wifi. Fridge that didn't work. Yes, the hotel has been added to which makes the stairs interesting.

Very damp climate means washing doesn't dry - try leaving your bedroom window open in daytime.

Continental breakfast, eggs to order, noodles on request. Lovely lady called Ma Thin Thin Aye served us. Good view from balcony of the monks coming down from the hill.

Yes there are dogs. There are stray dogs everywhere in Myanmar. You are also a short walk from the centre of town.

Close to centre.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 11, 2013

• TheAndos profile photo TheAndos
  • Reviews: 93

Asia Plaza: Convenient

After reading reviews, I was prepared for the worst. However it was quite acceptable: we had a large room with kettle & fridge, Aljazeera on cable. Got the room attendant to change the set up from a king bed to two singles. Bathroom bit tired but clean and with a shower curtain (uncommon in Myanmar).

Front rooms overlook station and can be noisy as no double glazing but you can see the Shwedagon Pagoda. Lift can get busy but it has a glass wall so you can enjoy the view once you are in it.

We were told breakfast starts at 6.30am but we chanced it at 6.15am on our day of departure and it was a hive of tourists. The buffet does not have any lamps/candles under the "hot" food but didn't bother me. Yes, staff need a bit of training and food needs replacing but I guess standards will improve.

Wifi in the rooms was a pleasant surprise.

View of the Shwedagon from the top floor restaurant/balcony.

Ruby Mart (supermarket) just up street.

• Written December 11, 2013

• Rob&Giz profile photo Rob&Giz
  • Reviews: 63

Thiri Marlar: Good location and room rates

Very nice hotel just out of the center of New Bagan. Nice, clean rooms and breakfast is served on the roof, overlooking the pagodas.
Friendly and helpfull staff.

Quiet

• Related to: Backpacking, Archeology
  • Written November 15, 2012

Thiri Marlar Hotel

• ozpaul profile photo ozpaul
  • Reviews: 116

Kandawgyi Palace Hotel: Stunning view of the Shwedagon Pagoda

I had the most wonderful experience at this hotel. I even loved the way the power would go off unexpectedly. The staff here were very efficient and went out of their way to help you. Breakfast is fabulous and I loved the giant dinosaur in th garden. The view of the pagoda is stunning - both day and night.

Pool is great - there is a wonderful outdoor bar. This place is really unique.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Gay and Lesbian
  • Written May 16, 2010

• stimmt1379 profile photo stimmt1379
  • Reviews: 10

Amazing Bagan Resort (Bagan Golf Resort): Wonderful Oasis in Bagan

Not far from anywhere, a quick trip from the airport and only 20 minutes to most temples by bicycle. Very reasonable price for a fantastic clean room, friendly and helpful service, lovely environment, great pool, complimentary bicycle usage, etc. We had to leave early for our plane on the last day before the regular breakfast hours so they prepared a hot breakfast box for us to take.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Spa and Resort
  • Written February 25, 2010

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1237

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

inn wa guest house in bagan: inn wa guest house in bagan

cheap but very clean, in center of bagan, excellent friendly service..you get bikes to rent in a couple of seconds...or any info you need
they allow to stay also unmarried couples to stay in one room, not like some others around where they only want to make more money
excellent place

excellent place

• Written August 23, 2009
Tip Photo

view from roof terrace inn wa guest house

• hanspeter_W. profile photo hanspeter_W.
  • Reviews: 1237

MAY FAIR INN YANGON: MAY FAIR INN YANGON

situated in heart of downtown yangon
airconditionned
24 huor satellit tv video and telefone service available
bathroom with hot water

friendly helpful reception..excellent location very good priced

• Written August 23, 2009
Tip Photo

room at mayfair inn yangon

• suvochat profile photo suvochat
  • Reviews: 6

Park Royal Yangaon: good Hotel

We came out of the airport saw a lady carrying a placard with our name. When we identified ourselves she said she is the chauffer send by Park Royal hotel where we had booked. Her name is Saji. Saji is a short and sweet lady and she was driving a big Toyota van. All the way from airport to hotel she gave us a non stop commentary on Yangon and when I say nonstop I really mean it! This hotel is located in Alan Pya Phaya road,Dagon township and is very near to Thai Airways office.This is a highly reputed hotel in Yangon and has a reputation for excellent service.
We checked into the Orchid club and here our Room charge was around 80 USD if I remember correctly.We hired a Merc from the hotel for sight seeing at 25 USD/hr with Saji again as our chauffer and guide. Again it was non stop commentary from her.
Yangon is a very clean and a beautiful city and full of Pagodas,the most famouse one is the Sule Pagoda.Unfortunately there is a severe shortage of electric supply and in the evening there are virtually no street lights.This hotel is very near the city center and the famous Scot market.

The lounge in the Orchid club provides you with the Internet facilities (of course this facility is dependent on the mood of the Junta) and around the clock free snacks !There are host of other facilities that you get in Orchid club, please check their web site. The staff were excellent and very helpfull.
This hotel has everything from swimming pool to tennis court to multi gym to spa to business centre etc etc.

• Written December 12, 2008

• tharthiha profile photo tharthiha
  • Reviews: 1

Kandawgyi Palace Hotel: situated on the Royal Lake in the center of Yangon

i went to burma last year. i live 1 week there.. 4 days at kandawgyi palace hotel.
i think that is nice hotel in yangon myanamr.
You shold be stay at http://www.kandawgyipalacehotel.com .

i copied hotel description for you.
The 208 room Kandawgyi Palace Hotel is situated on the Royal Lake in the center of Yangon. The hotel is next to the Kandawgyi Park, and it is within 2 minutes reach of the world famous Shwedagon Pagoda, 5 minutes to the city center and in close vicinity of major shopping & sightseeing spots.

The hotel, constructed with Golden Teak Wood, is built in traditional Myanmar architecture style. The hotel grounds consists of a beautiful natural "Rain Forrest" Garden with trees that are over a hundred years old. The Royal Bungalows with its private swimming pool and jacuzzi, is a must for those who are looking for a romantic vacation.

facilities

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written August 27, 2008

• David-B profile photo David-B

Asia Plaza Hotel: Good Hotel-Convenient location

A good clean hotel with nice views of the city and Shwedagon Pagoda (from the higher floors). This hotel is conveniently located, a 10 minute walk from the Sule Pagoda and Municipal building.
$20 (Sgl) & $25 (Dbl)-2007 rates, and includes B/F.

Night-Club in hotel basement.

• Related to: Seniors, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written June 3, 2008

View from 10th floor.

• Restless-in-kl profile photo Restless-in-kl
  • Reviews: 428

MV Philkade: Luxury liveaboard

As usual, I wanted to be one of the very few divers going to a particular dive site. I don't want to share with many divers as I want to see more fish instead of more arms and legs. So I chose MV Philkade which only carries a maximum of 12 divers.

On my trip, there was only 9 guests which was great. The boat was very spacious, huge and well-appointed. Food was good though the spicyness of the Thai food has been watered down to suit the "farang"'s tastebuds.

The best room is of course the Master Cabin which is monstrous in size with big panel windows so that you can see almost 360 degrees of the wonderful view outside. On the other hand, the standard room where I stayed was average, pretty small comparatively and the bathroom was not as clean as it should be.

Priced at US$1990 for 6D/5N twin sharing basis in standard room (all-inclusive).

See MV Philkade travelogue for a peek into the boat interior and exterior.

Lots of space
Luxurious fittings
Master cabin

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written March 21, 2008

MV Philkade

Shwe Hin Tha Hotel: Looked Like Great Bargain Hotel in Ngwe Saun

I unfortunately didn't stay at this hotel, because I had pre-paid reservations at another one. But after discovering this hotel, I spent a good deal of time on two days hanging out on their beach and in their restaurant.

A helpful expedition planner whom I met named Tom Tom has his office in this hotel. The hotel consists of lush looking, meticulous grounds, with the buildings having a thatched-hut look as well as a masonry component. The rooms looked clean and well maintained. Although I think the usual price for a single is $15 per night, they offered me one for $10 (the place I stayed was not nearly so nice, and had been paid $45 per night!).

I was told that staff from the US embassy in Yangon had checked out the day before I arrived, and that staff from the Russian embassy are occasional guests (I mention it because presumably these people are "in the know"). The hotel is probably in the class of backpacker or budget travelers. Several of the staff speak good english and were very engaging to talk to, very helpful with information and clearly taking pride in their hotel. It seemed to me that most of the guests at the time I was there were couples who largely kept to themselves.

The hotel is several kilometers outside of the main village of Ngwe Saung (motorcycle or Trishaw taxis from the town cost around $1.25 as of Feb-08). This section of the beach looks most beautiful to me, and abuts on a peninsula of land jutting out into the Bay of Bengal that becomes an island a high tide.

I will definitely try to stay at this hotel the next time I'm in the area, as it seems a great bargain and likely to be a afun experience.

Note that I didn't actually spend a night here though, despite my glowing endorsement ;-)

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sea Breeze Hotel: Hotel to Avoid in Ngwe Saung

I spent 3 nights there in February 2008, arranged by contacts in Yangon who had never seen the hotel. The hotel cost around $45 per night, and when I saw it I was shocked. When I signed in nobody gave me any kind of overview of the hotel, they just put a form in front of me asking for passport information (probably this was due to the language barrier, as when I checked in there was no english or german speaker present). People working for other hotels whom I got to know were shocked to learn that I wasn't even offered candles to cope with the fact that electricity is only provided for a few hours during the evening. There is no hot water for showers, and the temperature here at night was not particularly hot (I was there in February, which is winter). In general I don't mind not having hot water, but this hotel was rather expensive yet ranks as the second worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

The room was quite dillapidated, with many things (such as the locks on the rooms, refrigerator, plumbing for hot water) in bad condition and not functional. (Security seemed good as there was a night watchman who appeared to be around for 24 hours).

I was there at a time when most other hotels were full, but this hotel was coompletely empty other than me - I was the only guest, and I see why. There are far cheaper alternative accomodations available for a much lower price. I sorely wish I had not stayed at this hotel.

There are no sheets on the beds, rather just some coarse blanket. I got so badly bitten by some sort of insect living in either the mattress or the blankets that now that I'm back in Bangkok, I need to see a doctor (my appointment scheduled tomorrow - I arrived back here from Myanmar last night).

To their credit, the manager did help me by purchasing a bus ticket for me for my return trip to Yangon (at the request of my contacts in Yangon, speaking with the hotel's office there). Also the manager gave me a ride to the bus station at 6AM.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Royal White Elephant Hotel (Yangon): Good Mid-Range Hotel in Yangon Near Airport

I've stayed at this hotel twice, for one night each. It seems a very reasonable mid-range hotel. I think rooms are usually around $20 per night, though most recently I saw rooms for $15 advertised.

The hotel was clean and seemed well managed.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful