Golden Express Hotel Mandalay

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Mandalay

THE GOLDEN BUDDHA LOOKS DOWN ON MANDALAYTHE GOLDEN BUDDHA LOOKS DOWN ON MANDALAY

ROADSIDE CUP OF TEA..MANDALAYROADSIDE CUP OF TEA..MANDALAY

Village on the Ayeyarwady river, MandalayVillage on the Ayeyarwady river, Mandalay

NO SHOPS OUT HERE NO SHOPS OUT HERE

Hotel booking

by ChenLi

Can anyone suggest some alternative cheap and clean hotels in Mandalay and Bagan that have private shower and toilet please? thanks a lot!

by Mique

Bagan: Eden Motel. It doesn't look very attractive outside but the rooms are very nice, cheap, clean and they serve a decent breakfast with real coffee.

In Mandalay there is a nice place but i just can't come up with the name right now. Will mail that later

by seagypsy

In Mandalay, the Royal Guesthouse, the ET, Nylon, and Garden are all quite popular with the backpacker crowd and aren't that far from each other BUT of the 4, I prefer the Royal because the owner likes to run a tight ship and keeps the place clean. For a little more upscale, perhaps the Royal City which is also owned by the same same famely

by Mique

The royal is the one i was thinking of. Nice, clean, good location

by bangdong

The ones I stay at aren't dirt cheap, but I think they are good value at $15 per night:
Unity Hotel in Mandalay. Good location (the famous chappati stand is right across the street), friendly staff, and good location. Decent cable TV service, power generator (useful for those frequent Mandalay power cuts), very hot water, and good AC.
NK Betelnut Hotel in New Bagan. Nice, quiet place with huge rooms. They have TV but not much choice for channels. Also have AC and hot water. Very cheap and dependable laundry service too.
Both of those places offer the usual free breakfast. But I find the eggs & toast offerings very boring, so I eat noodles at a local teashop instead.

by alwloch

*Mique, you say the Royal (hotel) is cheap in Mandalay. Do you know anything about getting there by bus from Thailand? I decided not to enter via Muse from China and so will come in via Vietnam and Cambodia into Thailand. Then I was wondering about continuing onto India from Myanmar by boat from Rangoon. Is that possible?

Al ~ still in Canada but am flying into HK in 2 weeks and doing China-Tibet first.

by Mique

No change overland from Thailand into Burma except fro a short (1 day) visa run. So you'll have to fly.

Situation is a bit hectic at the moment but calm enough if you stay out of the way of the demonstrations. Keep an eye on the news.

Travel Tips for Mandalay

Interacting with the locals

by thedouglas

We met up with these children at a temple at Taung Thaman village across the U Bein's bridge. They were enjoying their lunch in a cool spot at the temple. We circled and finally went in and spoke to the children and their teacher, took some pictured, showed them the photographs (which is always a hit!), and gave the teacher the equivalent of about US$5 to purchase supplies for their school.

A really lovely interaction with the teacher and the children.

North of Mandalay

by Hexepatty

We spent about 4 days in Mandalay, staying at a US Guest House for diplomats & their families. Nice place (Understatement of the year.) There were no other guests, but our family/group of about 10 and we had the whole estate to ourselves with a few household staff members to cook/clean. Each day we would drive to the outskirts of Mandalay and beyond to see, uh, temples and it was very nice. We had unofficial escorts. My brother was a US diplomat and naturally, Myanmar 'escorts' followed our every move. While driving out of Myanmar, we got lost. My brother was getting kind of frustrated. He got out the car, and talked to the escorts and asked them for directions. (I'd normally call them spys or snoops, but they were NOT trying to hide their presence.) They helped us get on the right road.

View from Mandalay Hill

by herzog63

This is one of the many views that you can get from Mandalay Hill. We went later in the afternoon and it was quite hazy so my photos didn't come out as well as I would have hoped but I'll be sharing what I have. You can see quite a few Pagodas on all sides of the hill as well as miles and miles of rice fields.

Gamble on cane ball!!

by albaaust

Every where you go you will see a field marked out and a net sometimes in the most unlikely places eg. in a cemetry. It seems that young men will take any opportunity to play cane ball. Cane ball is a bit like volley ball. This photo was taken near the bottom of Mandalay Hill.

It seems that the Burmese will also gamble on which team is going to win. This one that we watched for some time got very heated at times!

Hotel discounts without even trying!

by thedouglas

Both hotels we stayed in in Mandalay - which were at opposite ends of the price range - quoted prices, we accepted, and then they discounted the price instantly!! This was over and above the prices given in the Lonely Planet book too. So, don't be deterred by prices you see in the guide books, as chances are, the actual asking price is much less than the advertised rates!

Comments