Nyaungshwe Hotels

Our Members Say

• Avieira67 profile photo Avieira67
  • Reviews: 1004

Gypsy Inn: A great hotel

I was thinking to stay in Nyaung Shwe about three nights, but I stayed six.
This hotel offers you many options for rooms, including them with air conditioning. I stayed in a double room with fan and without private bathroom.
I have to say I liked very much the service and the ambience. The staff was always very kind and helpful.
Maybe for some people, the location is not good because of the noise of the boats. In fact, from the early morning until late evening there are many boats, all the time, leaving and coming. Some rooms aren't noisy, but mine was. This wasn't problem for me at all because I like to awake up early in the morning and I use the room just to sleep.
The breakfast, included in the price, is very good.

My room was spacious and, due to its location at one corner, there were windows from both sides.
The room and shared facilities were very clean. The hot water was really hot.
The fan was good enoguh.

• Written October 31, 2013

• AngMimi profile photo AngMimi
  • Reviews: 335

Remember Inn: A very nice guest house

A very friendly guesthouse with nice owner who loves football and two cute husky puppies running around the guesthouse. The rooms are spacious and clean with windows for fresh air, air-condition (we didn't use the air-cond, it was already too cold in the month of January), clean toilet with hot water shower. Breakfast was good with 5 types of choices, restaurant on top of building, nice view of the mountain range while having breakfast.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written April 13, 2013
Tip Photo

Give me a cuddle, please..I'm so cold.

• euzkadi profile photo euzkadi
  • Reviews: 1849

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Amazing Nyaungswhe Hotel.

Loacated in front of a small channel this hotel has confortable rooms with a small balcony and a nice restaurant in the garden, very well situated one block from the city main street. Friendly staff, recommended.

Clean rooms, nicely decorated and with good bathrooms.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written June 8, 2010

• WStat profile photo WStat
  • Reviews: 490

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paradise Hotel Nyaungshwe: Simple, but enough for an overnight:

A nice, but rather basic and cheap hotel, but equipped with all necessary amenities, showers, TV etc.Superior rooms with bath.

Centrally located, close to Nyaungshwe market. Very good restaurant with excellent chinese food !

• Related to: Architecture, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written August 24, 2006
Tip Photo

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1893

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Teakwood Guesthouse.: Great place - beware the owner!

I arrived here early morning, somewhat travel-weary after an overnight bus journey, and without a reservation. I asked for an en-suite room, and was told that there wouldn't be one available for a couple of hours until some other guests checked out, but I was offered the use of a cheaper room in the meantime. A nice touch, I thought.

When my room became available, it was very pleasant, with (as the name implies) teakwood flooring and walls. The photo gives you some idea. The room led onto a very pleasant and airy verandah / dining area where (a very good) breakfast is taken (see third photo).

Suitably refreshed, I was heading out into town, when the lady who had greeted me earlier asked me to look at her excursion book, which I duly did. No problem there, although I subsequently found out that all the excursions offered were available cheaper in town. The problem, and the reason for the slightly odd title of this tip, is that every single time she saw me, she was hassling me to arrange excursions from her. The Lonely Planet guidebook describes her as "an assertive saleswoman". I'd say she was downright pushy.

In fairness, the rest of the staff were great, and it is a pleasant place to stay. It is situated in a small side street and is far enough from the waterways to avoid the early morning boat engine noise, although still only a short walk from the jetty. Five minutes will take you into the middle of town.

If you are not put off by the constant selling (and, to be honest, it's not that much of a problem), it's a nice place to stay, although the $25 per night is probably a little overpriced for what it is.

The only unique thing is the bathrooms, the walls of which are studded with river stones, giving a very unusual look (see photo).

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written July 10, 2006
Tip Photo

Room, Teakwood Guesthouse, Nyaungshwe, Myanmar.

• prikje profile photo prikje
  • Reviews: 81

Nanda Wunn hotel: Nanda Wunn Nyaungshwe

We arrived in Nyaungshwe around 4 pm so plenty of time to check out several different places to sleep 3 nights.
After having compared about 10 hotels/guesthouses we drove back to Nanda Wunn and after some hagging over the price (which is starting to be become a hobby of me).
18$/ superior room

Cosy porch , friendly staff but thats the case almost everywhere in Myanmar.
Quiet location , beautiful teak wooden floor.
The sheets were to short so I woke up cold feeted.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written March 16, 2006

Nanda Wunn front

• Williebobs profile photo Williebobs
  • Reviews: 37

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Teak Wood: Good room....

Strange place. Very pleasant people, but they wouldn't leave us alone when it to touting for 'tourist activities'. She had managed to fall out with all the locals in town because she wouldn't pay commission to rickshaws etc We thought this was fair enough, but then found out how harsh she was to the locals. For example, we took a boat ride and paid her to arrange it (daft I know). She kept almost all the money and gave a tiny amount to this boat paddler who was very nice. She was just really greedy, basically, but the rooms were very good.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written December 4, 2004

• aukjejetty profile photo aukjejetty
  • Reviews: 443

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Joy Hotel: Best View in Town

This is by far the most wonderful guesthouse I stayed at in Myanmar. After arriving in the early evening. I fortunatly went to bed early, because of that I woke up around 5am. I decided to sit outside on the balcony. What I saw was as a like a big surprize! I witnessed the first boats comming in to bring in their goods, or to bring people into town.

I saw boats loaded with tomatoes, boats loaded with squashes, boats loaded with eggplants, boats loaded with mixed vegetables, and ofcourse boats full of people of all sorts. It was the best morning I experienced in that 5 month long Asia travel! From then on, I sat there every morning watching the 'traffic' come in and unloading their goods.

People had told me that Joy Hotel would be noisy, well... I certainly do not considered those boats in the morning (they do have a motor) as noise. I guess it all depends on what you are in town for.

This place is the most unique place because of its location, it is right there at the beginning (or end) of the canal. It is where the boats come in, and where they unload, all to be seen from their balcony. I couldn't imagine a better place to stay.

The rooms are basic, but there are choices between fan or air-con, and there is a great fresh fruit breakfast. The manager and his wife are terrific, very sweet and helpful. And where in the world does the staff make you hot rice-soup when you are suffering from high-fever?

• Opinion of Price: least expensive