Imperial Jade Hotel

Good For No Data

More about Rangoon

Hindu Temple, RangoonHindu Temple, Rangoon

sule payasule paya

SO MUCH TO SEE HERE..SO MUCH TO SEE HERE..

FOOD MARKET..RANGOONFOOD MARKET..RANGOON

Excursion to Twantay

by AMY3

Hi All,
Will be in Yangon next week from 23-26 Jan '08 and am wondering if it's worth to make a full day excursion to Twantay to see the cottage industries (pottery, weaving, fishing village & market? Anybody know how to get there, how long it takes & aprox costs? I heard the easiest way is to take a ferry but I don't know from where in Yangon?

by Mique

I've never been there but the easiest way is to ask one of the touts/guides to help you with a ticket. It'll cost you only very little if you don't want them to come with you on the trip itslef (and even then it issn't hugely expensive). And don't worry about that, they'll approach you as soon as you've set foot outside your hotel/guesthouse.

by bangdong

I was there last year. I thought it was in interesting day trip, or more like a half-day. I took the ferry ($1 for foreigners) across the river to Dalah, and then hired a car to take me to Twante. I can't remember how much it cost, but the ride was about 1 hour. Visited the pottery sheds and the one big pagoda in town. Hired a trishaw driver to pedal me around. Very cheap. I wanted to take one of the ferry boats back to Yangon, but by late afternoon I had apparently missed one and would have to wait a couple hours for the next one, so I ended up hiring a smaller boat to take me back. And that was quite expensive. I think it cost me about $15 or more. And honestly, the scenery along that stretch of the river wasn't so spectacular. If I went again I think I'd just do a car/taxi each way.

by zeke7

The $1 cross-river ferry that bangdong took is at the foot of Pansodan St., very easy to find. Runs every 15 min. or so. At Dalah on the other side, you can hire or take public transport to Twante: passenger trucks (1000-2000kyat), mototaxis, or public buses (~500 kyat), which are a bit hidden further up on the right past the trucks. There is also a direct Yangon-Twante-Yangon boat, but schedule can be sporadic (eg, last one is supposed to return to Yangon at 1600, but the day I showed up at 1500 and was told that day it's leaving at 2030). Not sure what pier that boat departs from in Yangon. Tip: the Junior Duck restaurant next to the Pansodan pier is a great place for dinner.

Sure, Twante's worth a visit (but not at the cost of a vist to Shwedagon, of course :-). Easy to hire a trishaw guide when arriving there. The Yangon circle train's another good excursion, if you're looking to fill a day in Yangon: get off at various points, like near the big riverside vegetable & fish markets at the west end of town.

by uchit

It is a try worthy visit.
There is a bridge near Hlaingthaya township, by which you can hire a car. One day car lone will cost about 60,000 kyats (60US$).
There are ancient Mon dynasty city wall and cement pottary factories.
Old Mon pagodas are there. My self is going there tomorrow.

Travel Tips for Rangoon

Money changing

by thedouglas

When you go to Myanmar, take plenty of US$$ - including extra for potential emergency - which happened to us. We read that the Myanmar Mayflower bank has ATM service, but did not see any of these branches. In this event, with the exception of some large hotels, there are also no credit card facilities. If you run out of cash, you will be forced to find one of these hotels, and accept a fairly hefty fee, of 30%+ for getting a cash advance - in kyat.

In Yangon, its very easy to find money changers - which is still supposed to provide the best exchange. Some are furtive fellows on street corners, but mostly at the Bogyoke Aung San Market, which is the large tourist market in the city - also known by the British name, Scott Market.

There are plenty of changers standing around in the market, who will discretely ask if you want "money change"? You then negotiate the rate - useful to get a few quotes. Then you can exchange a few US notes for a huge wad of kyat! As with some other SE Asian countries, you may get a better exchange for crisp new notes.

Some guesthouses will insist on $US anyway, and you can opt to pay for some things at larger shops or restaurants, with $$. However, business is predominantly done in kyat - and change is always in the local currency.

It is wise to count the money to ensure that you are given the correct amount. It is a big wad, and you can be easily deceived. First time changers! We were walking through the market, approached by a changer, who had the whole subterfuge scenario persona worked out! Most of the changers were somewhat more relaxed and open!

Shwedagon paya

by namhsan

do all the sightseeing mentioned in the travel books. I regret that I didn't want to pay the entrence fee for the Shwedagon pagoda. So I have been there early in the morning and got out as soon as they asked me to pay. But when I go back I want to spend more time in as it's really great. In Yangon I love to hang around in the tea shops looking around and having a talk to Burmese which are very interested in foreign people. I even got invited twice to a family. It was great to have the opportunity to see how they are living. One family has even an Indian maid.

Green City

by Hewer

Yangon is a green city with wide open streets. The main thoroughfares are all lined with trees and it feels more like a grand old town than a large capital city sometimes.

I was up early each day I was there and I found Yangon a pleasant city to stroll around in at this time. It's quite laid back and you won't be accosted by touts nor bowled over by busy commuters. It's all quite peaceful.

Rangoon Tip

by Krystynn

Here's another look at the Shwedagon Temple. The temple was constructed in the 15th century, and if you'd squint your eye, you'd notice that the massive central stupa is covered with GOLD leaf. Many sacred relics of the Buddha are reputedly enshrined inside.

Telephones

by thedouglas

As the telephone network remains quite rudimenary in Myanmar, and poverty is almost the norm, there are few household telephones on the country. There were a range of open area telephone services, such as these sheds and cubicles, and some were on smaller streets on flimsy tables holding two old fashioned telephones. Quite unique really!

Comments