Rangoon Hotels

Our Members Say

Yellow Ribbon Hotel: Small hotel in a good location

In 2009 I traveled twice to my hometown of Yangon in Myanmar, once in March, and again in June. On my first trip I stayed at the Winner Inn (review already published on VT). I was intending to stay at the Winner Inn again but it was full that time, so my buddy who lives in Yangon suggested we look for another hotel nearby. In those days I never had to make reservations for hotel rooms as Myanmar was not a popular tourist destination yet. On every trip I always 'walked in' straight from the airport to any hotel in town, and got myself a room without any problems. Well, I fear those good old days are over!

Anyway, back to June 2009; a five minute drive from the Winner Inn took us to a small hotel called Yellow Ribbon. Don't ask me why it is named 'Yellow Ribbon,' but the rate of $15 a night with breakfast was good enough for me so I checked in. It is a 3 storey building without an elevator, but luckily I was given a room on the second floor, so climbing up the stairs wasn't that much of an ordeal for me, haha!

My room itself was quite comfortable with two beds (the rate was for either single or double occupancy), air conditioned with attached bathroom, and the usual anemities...refrigerator and TV. I could even see the majestic Shwedagon pagoda at a distance from my room window! The location is also ideal as it is on a main road with several restaurants within walking distance, and downtown Yangon a 15 minute taxi ride away.

I will mention here that I don't like to stay in downtown hotels in Yangon as nearly all of my relatives and old friends there live in the suburbs and it's convenient for me to visit them or vice versa, if I stay at a hotel which is approximately halfway between central Yangon and the suburbs. Such is the location of Yellow Ribbon and several other hotels in this vicinity.

During the time I stayed at the Yellow Ribbon Hotel I was given a choice of Western or traditional Burmese breakfast. When I checked in, the desk clerk asked me what time I would like to have my breakfast. The question seemed a bit strange to me, but I found out later the reason why he asked me. Every morning at 7, he or the staff on duty would call me and ask what I wanted for breakfast, and around 20 minutes later it was brought to my room! I never even saw the dining room all the time I stayed at this hotel.

On my subsequent trips to Yangon, I was told that this hotel became a residence for the players of a local soccer club. The last I heard, it has now been converted back to a full fleged hotel, here again because of the present booming tourist business for hoteliers and guest house owners.

Great location with view of Shwedagon pagoda (within walking distance) from rooms.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture, Singles
Tip Photo

View of hotel from the street

Winner Inn: Affordable small hotel in a residential area

I have stayed at this hotel once, about four years ago on one of my regular trips to Yangon. It is located in a very nice residential area of the city. You can even walk to the great Shwedagon Pagoda from the hotel in 15-20 minutes, and if you're lucky you might get a room with a view of the pagoda which is THE undisputed landmark of Yangon. As a matter of fact, I used to live in this vicinity in my younger days. Actually this hotel was once a big house, and converted to a hotel by the owner who is a relative of a close friend of mine. My buddy was the one who recommended the place to me, and I got a good discount because of him. I paid only $20 a night for a room including breakfast that time. However, don't expect this low room rate nowadays, because of the current supply and demand due to the huge influx of tourists and businessmen coming into the country at present. I was told that the rate now is closer to $80 a night for a double room, which I think is still quite reasonable.

I believe a lot of international NGOs (non-governmental organizations) rent several rooms there on a long term basis for their permanent and temporary staff, so it is almost always full but it doesn't hurt to try.

The rooms were cleaned everyday when I was there, and the service is excellent. One time I asked for breakfast to be sent up to the room, and they willingly obliged. There is a refrigerator in every room (air conditioned), with bathroom attached, plus a TV and wi-fi connection. There is also an internet room next to the lobby. As I didn't take my laptop on that trip I used it a couple of times. If I remember correctly, I think the service charge was 700 kyats or around 80 US cents an hour.

About five minutes walk from the hotel, there are several upscale restaurants. One which I liked is an Indian restaurant where they offer both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. They serve the food on a banana leaf and several waiters are always around to ensure that your plate, sorry....banana leaf is always full!

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Arts and Culture

Entrance to Winner Inn

Jewel Hotel in Rangoon/Yangon: Comfortable budget hotel

I stayed at this hotel twice in the 1990's, but switched to the Yuzana Hotel in the 2000's. But in 2011, I stayed there again as the Yuzana was full. When I arrived at the Jewel Hotel I noticed that they were expanding the front of the hotel and the main entrance was obscured from all the construction work. I had to enter through the side door. I got a room on the second floor for $15 a night with breakfast included. I had not made reservations, so I thought $15/night was not a bad deal for a walk in rate. However, I am certain the rates have increased considerably since then due to the current huge influx of tourists. In 2011 there were still some rooms available. Even with the extension and additional rooms it might be full nowadays, especially during the high season.

The location is about 20 minutes drive from downtown in a quiet residential area. In fact, the Lady's (Aung San Suu Kyi) house is very close by, so you might want to pay her a visit! There is a restaurant next door but I don't recommend it. If you want to walk another 5 minutes or so down Kabar Aye Road, I would recommend Fu San restaurant which also has a Chinese temple.

If you fancy a hot beverage you might want to try some of the typical tea shops along the street (turn left as you leave the hotel) and experience a place where many of the locals socialize with their friends over a cup of tea. Be warned though that seating at these tea shops are stools, not regular chairs!

Further down the same street there is a beer pub, and if you need to buy groceries there is a big supermarket on Saya San Road called City Mart where everything is available, both local and imported stuff. This supermarket is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

All the rooms at the Jewel Hotel are air conditioned and there is hot water in the attached bathroom. TV with about 10 different channels and a mini refrigerator too. All the times I stayed there I had a room with twin beds, so I imagine all the rooms are the same, small but fairly comfortable.

PS. The staff at this hotel are very friendly too. The guy at the front desk got married during my stay there and he actually invited me to his wedding, and of course I accepted his invitation! (photos of the wedding added)

• Related to: Festivals, Arts and Culture, Budget Travel
Tip Photo

Room where I stayed one time

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3975

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Yangon International: GRAND UNITED (CHINATOWN)

I stayed at the Grand United – Chinatown on my first and last nights in Burma. This is an excellent hotel as long as you are fine with a hotel in a very busy area. The hotel has a saying of ‘Embrace the Buzz’. Chinatown and its car traffic are always buzzing. When I arrived here I was greeted warmly and shown to my room. The room was large. It had a sort of living room with furniture, large desk, a good bed and a reasonable bathroom. Plenty of room to stretch out and relax. The only issue was the traffic outside. Having said that, when I turned up my excellent air conditioning, I couldn’t hear the road anymore.

The room (401) was excellent and had nice things like a cold fridge and flip flops for the bathroom and tile floors. The staff were most helpful and the location was excellent. Chinatown is a very vibrant area day and night. In the evening you have night time outdoor food markets in the street. In the morning you have outdoor pop-up restaurants for a hearty breakfast. There is also an amazing collection of great restaurants and bars. Never a dull moment.

The breakfast room, with a very good breakfast buffet, is located on the roof. From here you have excellent views of the local area. I paid an extra $20 for the rooftop Penthouse Suite. Actually, I liked my room and bathroom on a lower floor better. The Suite was large with 2 living room areas, but the bathroom was smaller and had no way to vent steam.

Both of my stays were pleasant and I am happy to recommend Grand United. They actually have 3 properties and if you stay in all 3 – you get gifts and discounts!

OVERVIEW:
• 24 well appointed and air-conditioned rooms
• Rooftop restaurant and breakfast buffet (included in the room price)
• In the heart of Chinatown

ROOMS:
• Superior Double Room with Street/City View (186.86 sqft/17.36 sq m)
• Deluxe Twin/Double with Street/City View (251.01 sqft/23.32 sq m)
• Penthouse (Special) Room (279.86 sqft/26.00 sq m)
• Air-conditioned, fridge and furniture
• Free high-speed Wi-Fi Internet access.
• 24 hour room service and electrical supply
• Complimentary buffet breakfast
• Hair Dryer, toiletries
• Mini-bar with drinks, noodle cup, potato chips and Coffee/tea-making facilities
• Satellite/cable LED television, Writing desk, Telephone, Electronic safe

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 18, 2014

GRAND UNITED (CHINATOWN)

• phantomarty profile photo phantomarty
  • Reviews: 3

Myint Myat Guest House: Myint Myat

On the 8th floor of a building, serviced by an lift that may only be operated with a security pass held by a guard, who's usually by the lift landing. Excellent service by Moses. Speaks good English, but don't speak too rapidly. The guest house has a black taxi/car at 11,000 - 12,000 kyat per hour for hire. Yummy simple breakfast every morning from 7am to 10 or 11am, white bread that can be toasted, with butter and jam, coffee or tea or orange juice (more like a flavoured drink, really), and a fried egg. Basic room, towels and a toothbrush kit provided, didn't use the tiny bottles of labelled "Shampoo". Television with NHK and some English channels. Fan and air conditioning available - didn't need to use the AC at all (I travelled in January). A trishaw ride away from Pazundaung train station, where you can get a ticket on the circular train for USD 1, make sure you get the one meant for tourists.

Breezy breakfast area, very enjoyable in the mornings.

• Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 26, 2014

• cochinjew profile photo cochinjew
  • Reviews: 1735

Yoma Hotel: Budget Accomodation away from the centre of Town

I was sick of the management at the Thamada Hotel so decided to stay at this hotel for the night. for 18 dollars it was as good as Thamada at twice its price and the staff equally friendly. the only drawback is that it is a good 20 minute walk from the centre and it can be very tiring in the heat or the rain

• Written May 18, 2011

• DennyP profile photo DennyP
  • Reviews: 828

THE OCEAN PEARL INN: A GREAT PLACE TO STAY IN YANGON

YANGON (RANGOON)
I had previously booked this accomodation from Bangkok..(with hostels.com) mainly because it has a free pickup from the Airport on International flights..remembering the Airport is a long way out of town..what I saved on a taxi from the Airport to the city paid for my first nights acccomodation.

Great value..good large room...air con..ensuite..very good large breakfast..bar fridge...TV..backup generator..Price depends on your length of stay and on your bargaining skills..typically friendly Burmese staff..also handle all travel arrangements...taxis and money xchange..24 hour electricity..

• Related to: Backpacking, Photography, Architecture
  • Written August 23, 2009

LARGE ROOM WITH ALL AMENNITIES

• oz3lot profile photo oz3lot
  • Reviews: 3

Golden Smile Inn: Great Backpackers Choice

Very affordable B&B with simple rooms for little money. I stayed there twice during my trip in 2007.
The rooms feature two beds, a small table and a chair, some hooks and a mirror.
Only one of the rooms has own Shower/WC, the others is shared.
All the rooms have aircon. For breakfast you should go for Mohinga - on Wikipedia.
I only got very few mosquito bites in the room (only 1-3 per 2 days).
This B&B is family owned. They are very friendly and helpfull. At least one of them speaks very good English and also some fair Japanese. They offer laundry service and can organize plane tickets for you.
Dont be startled if you hear footsteps: the rooms itself are ratfree. All holes and posssible entries are blocked. You just can hear them walking on the false ceiling of the rooms sometimes :) So no problem for you.
You will have to pay only around 5 - 10$/per night per room if I remember correctly.

two beds, a small table and a chair, some hooks and a mirror.
shared facilities and showers (only one room has own shower/wc)
aircon
mosqito proof (90%)
rooms are ratfree
good Mohinga
You might want to ask them where you can change money.
laundry service
organize plane tickets
ratfree rooms

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 6, 2008

Golden Smile Inn

• chrissyms profile photo chrissyms
  • Reviews: 23

The Strand: Nostalgic

I did not stay overnight, but this is a very famous hotel from the colonial era of Rangoon. This was one of the in places to be seen in. We had afternoon tea here, we were lucky to be able to get in as it is often booked up. The old colonial atmosphere remains and to have tea and scones in the Strand is one of the tick off things to do in Rangoon, it's like a singapore sling in Raffles in Singapore. It was very enjoyable and just to make sure we didn't get overcome with nostalga, we retired to the bar for a few cold beers after.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 20, 2007

The Strand

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

strand hotel: a world class famous hotel

this 5 stars hotel is one of the oldest and pretty famous ones in yangon. reputably as famous as raffles hotel in singapore also royal hotel d'angkor in siem reap, cambodia.
lucky me to spend an evening in the bar of strand hotel and enjoy the collection of yangon and around's old pictures.

i wasn't stay here, but reading the articles in the hotel .... mick jagger was stay here whenever he visits yangon :)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Road Trip
Tip Photo

the strand hotel's bar (c) ukirsari

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

excel treasure hotel: good deal for a huge room

okay, this is not a top and 4 - 5 stars hotel and not situated real downtown. but discount price with clean and huge room made me satisfied. plus very friendly staffs who helped me kindhearted. example >> whenever i want to take shwedagon paya picture from the roof top in a rainy night. the securityguard mr maung maung [read as mo mo] give a hand -- even the condition is very windy-- with handle an umbrella while i keep on busy to take "million" pictures :) chezubeh, mr maung maung :)

wooden floor, big bed, clean bedsheet and towels, hot and cold shower, great burmese breakfast and have a roof top facing to shwedagon paya.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Road Trip
Tip Photo

my baby on bed in yangon (c) ukirsari

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

mahabandoola guesthouse, pyin oo lwyn etc: backpacker hostels

several backpacker hostels are situated within a very strategic place. the location are perfect in the center of the city, so make it easier whenever we want to wander around. normally, these hostels have rooms in second floor or up and several has windows facing to direction sule paya.

not so far [or can be said within walking distance] to the tourist spots: bogyoke aung san/scott market, sule paya and mahabandoola garden park and several old colonial buildings.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
Tip Photo

mahabandoola road one evening (c) ukirsari

• akikonomu profile photo akikonomu
  • Reviews: 467

Grand Plaza Park Royal: Standard 4* Tourist Hotel

A rather standard 4* hotel that charges about US$45 for a twin room. The plus point of this hotel is its proximity to Scott market, and good spread of breakfast buffet. Also good are the foot reflexology and spa centre - tried out the foot and shoulder massage at the former (excellent after long tired day)

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written June 2, 2006

• AntonyLin profile photo AntonyLin
  • Reviews: 7

hotel nikko royal lake yangon: Yangon's 1st urban resort

This is a lakeside hotel with a view of SHWEDAGON PAGODA and KARAWEIK PALACE RESTURANT which are two landmarks of Yangon. This superior first 5-star hotel offer international standard service and only charge you B&B price.
We request a room upgarde to a 70 sqm Junior Suite upon check in time. Only 30US$ surcharge per night we get a almost double sized space as Superior.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written May 15, 2006

Sunset @ Sunset Terrace Resturant

• cochinjew profile photo cochinjew
  • Reviews: 1735

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Excel Treasure Hotel: nice to come back to the same hotel

The same type of a very large room, air conditioned, with balcony. comfortable. the staff as usual very friendly. aye aye kyaw had left but pa pa khaing is there. and other many many workers.

Very close to Shwedagon
The friendly staff at the front desk especially Pa Pa Khaing
The sumptous dim sum while watching the shwedagon from tenth floor

for a good price get in touch with novgirl@gmail.com

• Written March 10, 2006