Hotel Royal

Center of the city, Battambang, Cambodia

Hotel Royal
Agoda.com Expedia.com Asiatravel.com

* * *

We arrived by boat and already many guys from two different hotels were waiting for us! We read reviews about the Royal Hotel and thats why we hopped on their free pick up bus.

Before we checked in we had a look at serveral types of rooms. Apart from a Swedish girl we were the only ones out of the boat group who decided for the Royal. Maybe that was the reason why I was kind of unsure about the hotel.

The rooms are all renovated and the price was reasonable but still I wasn't sure if we should stay. We thought about it and I guess due to my critical view we got a very good discount! Guess the reception guy couldn't let us leave without taking a room ...

It was a good choice!

Unique Quality: Centrally located, big and clean bed rooms, air condition and TV. Insuite bathroom with hot water

Directions: next to the market

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Relaxed and no hassle

As soon as we stepped off the boat from Siem Reap we were hassled by the hotel touts. Royal Hotel have a softer approach. Free ride to the hotel, have a look at the rooms before you decide. So we did.

The hotel is on the edge of town and you don't see the French-period architecture until you walk about 5 mins into town. Don't worry it's there.

The deluxe $20 room's are impressive. Large room, not so large that you feel swamped by it. Local carved furniture, balcony, fan, air con, tv and fridge. Good views of Battambang from the restaurant. Cheap internet 75 cents an hour. You can book Capital Tour buses through them. The only thing that you have to get used to is that the staff are very very relaxed. Cheapest rooms are $4

Unique Quality: Really comfortable clean room.

Directions: In between Golden Parrot Guesthouse and Sunrise Coffee House

• Fleaartist's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in town

The Royal Hotel is quite simple, but is clean, doesn't cost a lot, and has a VERY GOOD restaurant on the roof! It is not far from the market that is the center of the the town. Of course is not a luxury hotel, but when we where there it was the best place to stay.

Directions: Just 50 mt. from the market Phsa Nath every taxy driver knows where it is.

• Monster78's Profile Photo

A simple place with a very kind staff

If you plan to travel to Battambang, then you will find that every travel book suggests Royal Hotel as a viable option. My two travelling companions and I became familiar with Royal through Lonely Planet Cambodia, the boatmen, as well as other travelers. Since it's a popular hotel, you compete with a number of backpackers and visitors for the most inexpensive and clean rooms.
    We had to choose a simple two bed room with a private bath (air-con optional) and terrace attached. If we were to arrive earlier or had possibly secured a room and price with the boatmen, we would have probably paid less. My boyfriend grumbled that a two bed-three person room for US$9 was too much, but I suppose it's relative.
    The staff was incredibly kind to us and at our departure, they gave my sister and I a farewell gift of a Cambodian silk scarf....it definitely pays to smile!
    There are other hotels in the area and if you are on a budget, you have several choices of well-kept rooms to consider.

Unique Quality: Located on the roof top is a clean restaurant with a friendly staff.
    Breakfast: US$3-6
    I would suggest any of the fruit drinks and omelettes. We ate on the side that overlooks Battambang and the countryside...a simple view with a potentially beautiful sunrise.
    Each meal comes with a french baguette. We were quite full so I decided to take our baguettes with us for the trip back to Siem Reap via boat. Once we arrived, there were a number of children standing along the boat dock. I suggested to my younger sister that she offer the food to them. They were happy to receive breakfast...especially from backpack bearing travelers!

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Justo en el centro - Right in the center

Es un hotel que esta en el centro de Battambang y tiene una gran variedad de tipos de habitaciones y precios
    No teniamos reserva pero en el muelle de la "lancha rapida" nos recogio una furgoneta
    En el hotel se pueden contratar los "moteros " ( Pregunta por Thony )
    Centrico , limpio y barato

This hotel is in Battambang center and has a big selection of types of rooms and prices
    We had not reservation but in the fast boat deck we took a van to the hotel
    In the hotel you may get the moto drivers ( Ask for Thony )
    In the center , clean and cheap

Unique Quality: Si quiere aire agua caliente tienes que pagar dos d?lares m?s

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The Royal Treatment, even by the touts

Let’s face it, this is a poor country so any place that draws any tourists will have its share of touts. These sometimes pesky fellows can make arriving in an unfamiliar town a nightmare but I’ll say that the ones in Battambang have a fun sense of camaraderie that most others lack. They are competing but it all seems more good-natured. We were besieged as soon as we got off the bus and since there were not many of us, we had the luxury of checking out two places we had in mind. There wasn’t much competition once we saw the rooms. The Royal was flat out nicer and at only a dollar more a day for a double, a bargain to boot. The Chayya is not bad and they are noted for having good guides to explore the countryside.

Unique Quality: The room was simple but quite clean with a comfortable double bed and fan we didn’t need at night. It actually got a bit cool especially with the meager blanket they provided! We even had our own bathroom and cable TV; all for $6 per double per night! It’s no wonder we stayed an extra day.

Directions: This is just up the street from Psar Nat (local market) but if that's too hard, no worries; the touts will find you when you get off the bus. Oh, this photo is NOT the Royal Hotel though the building does have a fair amount of charm on the inside.

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

The best hotel in Battambang

It is newly renovated and offers rooms from 4-20$

Unique Quality: A small restaurant on the rooftop, all room has air-con, cable TV, fridge,and hot water.
    They can also arrange visa for Vietnam

Directions: Close to the Central Market

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Battambang, too many backpackergroups

There are 2 guesthouses in Battambang that offer nearly the same quality ... and they hate each other.
    The bellboys carry your backpack to your room
    The Royal was very good for me: Nice rooms with fan for US 5$, with airco 10. Private bathroom with towels and, for the first time in Cambodia, soap.
    TV with each evening at 10 pm boom-boom channel (really)
    On the top floor, there's a good restaurant but there was a French group staying there who worked on my nerves.

Comments