Kampong Cham Hotels

Our Members Say

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Leap Viraksar Hotel.: Central and adequate.

I stumbled upon this place by virtue of the fact that when I alighted from the bus from Kratie at the filling station, I could see it aobut 50 yards away, so decided to give it a try, and a good choice it proved. As I came into the complex I saw a number of trucks parked and I have learnt that in Southeast Asia this is a good sign, as the truckers know decent paces to stay that are not too expensive. I wandered into the high rise building with a very swish foyer and enquired about a fan room (I dislike air-con as it wrecks my throat). I was very politely directed to the lower rise building just behind with a slightly less swish foyer but an equally friendly receptionist.

The room was inspected and found to be exactly what I required, ensuite (cold water, not a problem in that heat), slightly threadbare but spotlessly clean, well-aired and all for the princely sum of $6US per night.

A big plus point here is that there is a very well-stocked minimart in the ocmplex which stays open until late. The staff are friendly as anything but beware, you may end up giving an English lesson. All great fun.

There is one other thing to mention, although the chances are it will not affect you. Directly to the rear of the premises, right behind my room, a Khmer wedding was taking place. For those of you unaware, these affairs can (and did) take up to three days, almost non-stop, and the Khmer concept of volume is either off or ear-splitting. Truth be told, I quite enjoyed it, a bit of local flavour and not a fault of the hotel certainly.

For those on a slightly above rock-bottom budget, this is a good bet.

Nothing unique, just a decent, clean inexpensive place to lay your head.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 19, 2010
Tip Photo

Leap Viraskar Hotel, Kampong Cham, Cambodia.

• Carino profile photo Carino
  • Reviews: 833

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mekong Hotel: Mekong Hotel

Mekong Hotel was the biggest hotel we stayed in all over Cambodia. It's located right at the Mekong River and is very popular amongst tour groups because of it's large size. The hallway is so wide you can easily use it to some team sports. However, the hotel can become very noise because the bathroom is facing the hallway and has an open window at the top of the wall. You can imagine that the noise of the drunken Aussies coming home is not what you want to hear in the middle of the night.

Apparently it is still the best hotel in town. Location is fine, pretty close to the Bus Station and some restaurants as well as the Bamboo Bridge (Dry Season) / "Harbor" (Wet Season).

Rooms come with fans, TV, bathroom with hot water and air con.

Make sure you ask for a room facing the Mekong River to enjoy the sunrise and the view.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written October 31, 2008

• Tedsocoa profile photo Tedsocoa
  • Reviews: 109

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mekong Hotel: Hotel in Kampong Cham

Second time I spend some nights in this hotel. Very good situated along the river side of
the Mekong River. No noice, day and night, only some far boats going on and off.
Good service, spacy room, good bathroom, TV and if you ask for, balcony on the riverside with a splendid view on the Mekong.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average