Hotel de la Paix

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de La Paix: worth the splurge

by TripAdvisor Member eabnp

My husband and I started our honeymoon in Siem Reap, at the Hotel de la Paix. We had a garden suite room, and absolutely LOVED the hotel. The pool that's tucked away from the street, the food (mmmmhhhh, so tasty, and yes expensive for Cambodia, but totally reasonable by western standards), and the extremely friendly staff.

A bottle of wine and snacks awaited us when we arrived, and the staff knew exactly who we were everytime we walked through the door. They also arranged a tuk tuk and guide for us. In addition, the hotel provides US Dollar cash advances (at a 5% fee).

The western food at the hotel is amazing (the bread, and breakfast spreads are awsome). I suspect that they imported a french baker, because the croissants & baguettes tasted pretty close the real thing.

We travel quite a bit, and while we usually don't stay at multiple star hotels, we decided to splurge for our honeymoon, and were happy that we did.

While the spa was a bit overpriced for the local scene, it was a first rate facility, with a very skilled staff.

We also loved the pool.

If you are looking for a contemporary boutique hotel to come home to after a long day of temple sight seeing, the Hotel de la Paix is a great choice.

Most stylish hotel in Siem Reab

by Global_nomade about Hotel de la Paix

A truly beautyful hotel that made our trip fantastic together with the fantastic ruins of Ankor Wat.

A hotel I would recommend to everyone and worth the extra money.

Palace

by JoanPhua about Hotel De La Paix

We went in by chance at evening time, which was a surprise, as the ambience and the light brighthen the place, with the interior design, and pool ard, it was a great delight.

The attender at the coffee area was handsome....hahahha Gd coffee.......

Spacious and Comfy 5-Star Hip Hotel

by vigi about Hotel De La Paix

This is the first 5-star "Hip Hotel" in Siem Reap. I was staying in a delux (standard) courtyard view room. The room I stayed as spacious, comfortable and with nice view of the courtyard. I like the sunshine in the morning once I open the curtain, very bright. Chic decor, nice shower, big bath tub, and each room has a pre-programmed iPod which can be listen in the room, or taken on outside excursion. Central location, 5 mins walk to "Pub Street". While 15 mins by car to Angkor Wat. Free internet access. The Delux Spa Suite (I didn't stay there though) feature a private roof top terrace with garden and oversize plunge bath. Customer can enjoy customized in-room-cook meal and hideaway in-room massage.

Best, Cleanest & Most Affordable

by SyNkRoNiZe about The Villa Siem Reap

8 of us booked our accomodation with The Villa Siem Reap via email. The host/founders i.e. Anthony & Fiona were so welcoming that it was so hard for us to refuse their offer even though we had booked way in advance (approximately 3-4 months ahead!). The website pictures were enough to lure us into this place coupled by the fact that the rooms look very clean.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place. Not only are the rooms clean with air-con, the staff are extremely friendly and accomodating. We paid US$105 per person for a 3 night package stay and includes breakfast together with trips to our temples and we were also provided with 'temple packs' - contains sandwiches/salad. Anthony & Fiona were very accomodating in changing our daily plans to meet our requests. We even had a huge van picking us from the airport even though we were stuck there for at least an hour under the sweltering heat (immigration officers were very slow). When we got to the car, there was a bucket of cool-icy drinks waiting for us!! How's that for service!!

Plus, we noted that The Villa is extremely popular among Malaysians via their guestbook. They also have a cafe which serves delicious cocktails and breakfast!! We still miss my watermelon shake!!! The prices are considered VERY AFFORDABLE for what you are getting in return. Our expectations were well exceeded!

Location is superb! It's within walking distance to Pub Street and nearby is the Centre Market. Just around the corner is a convenience store inside a petrol station (next to Hotel De La Paix)

You may quote our group name 'Alliance Merchant Bank' to make reference of where you saw this recommendation Very clean, affordable, staffs are awesome. There is also a salt water swimming pool which we are given access but we were too tired to use it.

The website also says "The Villa Seam Reap is a fair pay, equal opportunity employer.
All our staff are given Free English Education and we donate 7% of our profits to local charities".

Very stylish, central hotel

We have recently come back from our honeymoon, and stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel de la Paix while in Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and the other temples. The hotel is extremely stylish throughout, and in a very good location for walking down to the Old Market area in town, where you can eat in lovely cheap but stylish restaurants, in upstairs galleries with live bands playing.

The staff at the hotel were all extremely helpful, even if their English was occasionally broken. Once or twice we got the feeling that the staff were trying to get us to book a trip with them (or their mate) personally, which was a bit awkward in a 5 star hotel, but it may have just been a misunderstanding. However, this was the exception rather than the rule.

The food in the restaurant, as other reviewers have mentioned, was amazing - very stylishly presented, and the swinging beds (I can't think of another way to describe them, since they are the size of a double bed, have cushions, and hang from the ceiling!) in the colonnade overlooking the central courtyard were fun to eat on. And the breakfast is great. The swimming pool is the best we've ever seen in a hotel - again, very stylish.

Our only niggle (and why I haven't given this 5 stars) is that there wasn't quite the attention to detail we got at some other hotels on our holiday. This wasn't for lack of trying - as I say, all the staff were very helpful - but, for example, the shower looked very impressive (huge head about 1 foot across), but let out only a trickle at times, with the water temperature fluctuating massively; there was no iPod in our room the whole stay despite us asking politely whether this was the norm (they said there should be one, but never fixed it); and although the hotel advertises one of its facilities as 'bicycles', it doesn't have any - they nip over the road to another hotel, and you have to pay for them. These wouldn't even make the complaint list anywhere else, but when they've got it so nearly right, they're worth a mention. We would happily stay at the Hotel de la Paix again.

THE place to stay in Siem Reap!

by TripAdvisor Member Cords00

I just returned from a trip with friends to Southeast Asia. The hotels throughout were carefully chosen and the only one that I was a bit unsure of was Hotel de la Paix. The pictures looked great, but some reviews said the service was bad.

Well, out of five 5 star hotels that I stayed at, this was the cheapest and the nicest! The swimming pool and the spa were by far some of the best that I have been in. A perfect way to relax after a day in Angkor Wat!

The rooms were really nice (but make sure to specify the purpose of your trip upon reservation. Some rooms have the bathtub right in the midle of the room, which is OK if you are travelling with your partner, but not with friends!) I did not get the ipod that is promised in the website, but forgot about it once I was there.

The restaurant food was excellent and with a very relaxed, yet trendy, setting. I also visited the Amansara and the Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor. This one is much nicer and much less expensive!

The location is also good.

I completely recommend this hotel for anyone (couples, families, friends, etc), although I wish it would stay a secret because rates are surely going to go up!

Oasis of peace and tranquility

by TripAdvisor Member deediva

This was one of the best hotels in the world. The rooms were beautifully designed in true asian form. everything was very functional and beautiful. The bathrooms are also great. The hotel pick up from the airport was delightful complete with lovely cold towels smelling of lemongrass. The architecture and design of the hotel were amazing...and the pool was very relaxing. The spa was one of the best I've been to (the massages and scrubs are great.. skip the facial). The staff was very knowledgeable, and helpful. The hotel is an oasis of peace in the middle of a busy dusty town. The best thing is that Hotel De La Paix is a five minute walk from the markets and u aren't far removed as some of the other hotels in siem reap are. Did I mention free wireless internet? And that the restaurant has outstanding Khmer Food. The breakfast is probably the best I've ever had. The bar area is supercool...with mainly beds in the lounge and a large white screen to show big games or events. It's very slick, cool without being pretentious. It was great to go to all the temples and come back to such a beautiful swimming pool, spa... Wow.. Definitely will return!

OK, but not if you want a suite

by TripAdvisor Member Westonian

I stayed in the Pool Suite (which I had booked) for half an hour, and then in a Deluxe Suite for the rest of my three-night stay.

The problem with the Pool Suite is that it was considerably smaller than expected, as some of the square footage is outside the actual room on the "private pool deck". However this deck is anything but private, as it is simply part of the side of the hotel pool, and as I stepped out onto it my gaze was returned by another guest who was standing in the water just a couple of meters away, looking directy into what would have been my room. Also, the pool is indoors so the "private pool deck" would hardly be a pleasant place to sit in any case.

The Deluxe Suite which I was promptly offered as the only alternative is simply not a suite. I think it is generally accepted that a suite has a minimum of three rooms: a bedroom, a living room and a bathroom. A junior suite has two rooms: a combination bedroom / living area, and a bathroom. But a Deluxe Suite at the Hotel de la Paix has only one room: a combination bedroom / living area / bathroom. That's right, not only is there no living room, there is no separate bathroom, definitely a first in my experience. Directly facing the bed there is a wall which contains a very long bathroom counter with the mirrors and two sinks. Between this wall and the bed, a stone bath tub -- a 2.5m x 1.3m box-shaped object with vertical sides inside as well as out -- is sitting on the floor. The sitting area is partially separated from the bed/bath/sinks area by a desk. The bathtub and the sinks are in full view of the sitting area.

The use of the word "suite" to sell these very strange rooms is, in my opinion, inexcusable. They offer none of the benefits which I expect when paying for a suite -- notably the ability to wake up on a different schedule than my wife and not disturb her, and also the ability to relax during the day in a living area that doen't double as a bedroom, much less as a bathroom.

Other tripadvisor reviewers have commented on the wonderful local national staff, and I would heartily agree that they are exceptionally friendly and attentive. Another plus is the very good soundproofing in the external walls and windows, without which sleep would be out of the question given the hotel's atrocious location at the busiest, muddiest/dustiest (depending on the weather) and noisiest intersection in Siem Reap ... with Siem Reap's largest gas station on the adjacent corner. So it may very well be that the Hotel de la Paix is a good option if you're not interested in a suite.

True modern, five star luxury

by TripAdvisor Member colcha

PROS: Luxurious rooms tastefully decorated in a modern Art Deco style, complimentary in-room Internet access, friendly obliging staff, convenient location in the centre of town.

CONS: Construction of new building across the road may cause some noise, shower sometimes alternated between hot and cold.

The Hotel de la Paix (HDLP) opened in late 2005 and is quickly establishing itself as one of the very best hotels in Siem Reap. Unlike other 5 star hotels in Siem Reap, the HDLP is situated within easy walking distance of the Central and Old Markets where the majority of pubs and restaurants in town are located.

The HDLP is very tastefully decorated throughout in a modern Art Deco style with wonderful little touches wherever you go in the hotel. Couples should not miss out on the opportunity to have a romantic dinner on one of the “swings” located outside the main restaurant. Rooms are luxuriously appointed and equipped with iPods and complimentary wifi Internet access. The staff are friendly and only too willing to assist in any way that they can.

After a long day visiting the nearby temples, coming back to the HDLP was a welcome respite from the heat and noise of Siem Reap.

As of April 2006, there was some building construction going on across the road from the front of the hotel so it may be worthwhile getting a room facing the inner courtyard or swimming pool if you are a light sleeper. We had a room facing the courtyard and we had no problems.

The only other criticism that I would have is that whilst the staff are friendly and professional, they lack a little of the finesse that the staff in the very best of hotels have. However, this is really nitpicking and I would expect this to improve as the hotel becomes more established. My overall impression of the HDLP is a very positive one and I would be happy to recommend it to anyone looking for 5 star luxury.

For those traveling before 30 September 2006, Tourismcambodia.com (in conjunction with Mittapheap Tours) currently has a “Book 3 nights, pay only 2 nights” promotion costing US$290, a very sizable saving over the rates offered by other websites. We made our reservations through Mittapheap Tours without a hitch.

For photos that I took of the hotel during my stay, visit www.cchang.com/hdlp

Professional Photography

by pinkoxygen

Hi,

My fiance and I are making a short trip to Siem Reap late Feb 11 to visit the beautiful Angkor Wat before we take on our new jobs in March. As we are getting married at the end of the year, we thought of having our wedding photos taken in Cambodia.

Could anyone recommend a bridal studio or wedding photographer who can help us capture our memories of Cambodia?

Many thanks.

Re: Professional Photography

by atufft

At the time we visited, there was no possibility of any bridal studio in Siem Reap. The town had muddy streets except for the circle in front of the French colonial hotel. Now, there are shiny new hotels, so I would being asking around there. The photographer can be found, I'm sure.

Re: Professional Photography

by pinkoxygen

Hi,

Thanks. Looks like we'll try the concierge of Hotel de La Paix (that's where we're staying). Hopefully we'll find someone. :)

Comments