Mandalay Inn

Psar Kroung Road (BBU University Road), Near OLd Market, Khum Svay Damkung, Siem Reap, 00000, Cambo

Booking.com Agoda.com Hostelworld.com

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

My Home in Cambodia

Whenever the desire to be in Siem Reap hits me, i drop an email to Ko Maung Maung, the agreeable Burmese owner of The Mandalay Inn. Nothing else, everything would be arranged, someone would be at the Airport. Warm welcome from the staff and a nice quite room. Free Wi Fi and Burmese Chef making Burmese Food if you want it.
    Once I ran into Ko Maung Maung during one of my earliest visit to Siem Reap, I have not stayed anywhere else in Siem Reap and something has to offer much more in human terms for me even to contemplate moving myself into another accommodation

Unique Quality: STAFF
    the fact that many of the staff have been here for many years shows the equitable treatment of the workers. In return the staff is good to the visitors. I dont ever hear of a complaint against any of the staff. Be patient with them as some of them may not be as fluent in English as you are ( I have dificulty understanding some american and english accents!)
    BURMESE CHEF
    this is the only place to eat Burmese food in town
    KO Maung Maung and Family, wife and two children
    I have come to know the children since they were infants and thus it is an added attraction for me. I am sure the other regulars feel the same way.
    Tour and Travel agency on site:
    Ko Maung Maung has nearly fifteen years of experience in Hospitality and Hotel management, including Five Star properties in Yangon and Siem Reap among other places. He is a travel agent supreme, now that he is able to devote his full attention to it.
    He organized a round trip for me from Siem Reap to Yangon for 185 usd round trip, you cant beat that can you? not even Air Asia can beat that price.
    Central Location
    you can walk every where and anything you need to buy, Ko Maung Maung can advise you where to get > I needed a mother board for a friend in Baracoa, done; notebooks to write on, done; a bottle of wine, done; for the first time visitors he would arrange all the necessary tourist spots and visits there to.
    FREE WIFI

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Lobby and Rooms

The Mandalay Inn is actually two separate buildings with a common area in the front. The first floor on the left has the lobby and the first floor on the right has the indoor dining area. My room was good sized with a double bed, air conditioning and an ensuite bathroom for $16. It was a corner room in the back of the hotel and had no views out the windows; however, it was quieter back there (the street in front of the hotel is quite busy). The rooms on the front probably have nice views of the city but there are also outdoor balconies upstairs where you may sit and have the same views.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Excellent Location and Reasonable Price

Unique Quality: There is a rooftop gym but I did not use it.

Directions: One half block south and one half block west of the intersection of Pokambor Avenue and Sivatha Boulevard

More about Mandalay Inn

Homely, Friendly, Most accessible Guest House

by ECYM about Mandalay Inn, Siem Reap

Mr Muang Muang & his family, owner of the Inn, are a helpful lot. The Inn was in business since 2002. His staff especially Kat is always very attentive and will do their best to help their customers. Their stay comes with daily breakfast of baguette and 2 eggs. They also provides two 500ml bottled water everyday.

The Inn does serve Lunch & Dinner too, they have authentic Khmer and Burmese food. Location - located outside Old Market and only a short 8 mins walk to Artisan D' Angkor Institute. This Inn is ideally situated especially if you frequent the pub street or the old market.

People in Mandalay Inn - Very sincere, will do their very best to help their customers. Most can converse in English fairly well.

Unlike some hotels or guesthouses in Siem Reap, this Inn does not arrange trips outside Siem Reap but they do help customers to book bus/ferry tickets at no extra costs.

A good bargain!

by rhino1975 about Mandalay Inn, Siem Reap

This is a nice budget guesthouse, only less than 5 minutes walk to the old Market and Pub Street. You can't beat the place for its location. The rooms are basic (don't expect too much, they have a fridge and the toilet may bit a tad bit too small for some liking), but at US16 a night, it's value for money (it's clean too). The staffs are overtly friendly, leaving a nice representation of the hospitality of the Cambodian people. The owner also double up as a travel agent (the shop is just next door) and he can help with with anything regarding your travel arrangements.

Good internet connection. It's a safe place (you need to leave your shoes on the shoe rack as you enter the guesthouse, trust me, its ok) For those planning to stay 2 nights or more, the guesthouse can provide you with free pick up from the airport via a tuk tuk. It will take around 25-30 mins to reach to guest house from the airport.

You can book your tuk tuk ride from the guesthouse. Prices are fixed (you can refer to the rates at the reception) but here are the rates as i recall

One day- US10

Additional fees
US5 for trips to a) Banteay Srei b) Tonle Sap lake tour
US3: For sunrise trip to Angkor Wat

The tuk tuk will carry a max of 3 persons. We booked 2 as there were 4 of us.

Excellent Location and Reasonable Price

by AlbuqRay about Mandalay Inn

The Mandalay Inn is clean, comfortable and in a convenient location in the south part of Siem Reap about three blocks from Psar Chaa, the Old Market. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel restaurant has reasonable prices and is pretty good, especially the Asian breakfasts. Airport or bus station pick up is included in the room rate. There is free Wi-Fi if you bring your own computer. Also, there are a couple of computers in the lobby. They had remodeled the whole downstairs patio/lobby/restaurant area between the two times I had been there (Mar 09 and Mar 10). It was not bad before but now it is really nice. The Mandalay Inn is such a bargain that it stays pretty full during the dry (tourist) season. You should make reservations beforehand. It's easy to do on their web page. The only downside that I have had in 11 days at the Mandalay Inn was that there were some guests that came in late and were noisy one of the nights when I was there in 2009. There is a rooftop gym but I did not use it.

Lobby and Rooms

by AlbuqRay about Mandalay Inn

Looked Really Nice and Excellent Location

by AlbuqRay about Ei8ht Rooms Guesthouse

The Ei8ht Rooms Guesthouse was my second choice in Siem Reap. I ended up picking the Mandalay Inn because it was $16/night vs. $24/night for Ei8ht Rooms. I did go by Ei8ht Rooms to check it out though. It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and I can see why. The staff were very friendly and showed me around even though I was not staying there. The location is on a quiet street by the back entrance to Artisans D'Angkor in the south part of Siem Reap about two blocks from Psar Chaa (Old Market) and very close to the Angkor Night Bazaar. There is no hotel restaurant but the rooms are larger and nicer than those at the Mandalay Inn. The lobby had two computers with free internet access. There is a quiet rooftop garden veranda.

Clean and moderately priced

by kirsten2004 about Mandalay Inn

A guesthouse located very near to Old Market (< 5 minutes walking). There are actually 2 guesthouses, Mandalay Inn and Mandalay Villa. Mandalay Inn is older and conveniently located at a 3-minute walking distance from the Old Market. Mandalay Villa is newly built and located slightly further but still near to Old Market.

Our room and the attached bathroom are clean, with towels provide. We paid $60 for a big room for 4 ppl for 3 days, which includes air-cond, daily breakfast and free pickup service from airport. Since we booked through the internet in advanced and stayed there during non-peak season, the price is cheaper. Run by Burmese and Cambodian couple. As a wide variety of Burmese and Cambodian food in the restaurant's menu. The price of the food is not expensive, around $2.50 for amok fish, but it takes some time for them to prepare and serve the food.

by imstress about Mandalay Inn

Mandalay Inn is located 10 mins from pub street.

This hotel provide free pickup from airport by tuk tuk.

Very clean and you feel welcomed by the staff.

You will need to deposit your shoes at Level 1 before proceeding up to your room.

We were at Room 402 where we need to climb the steep stairs as there is no lift.

Ask for lower floors if you dont wish to climb the stairs.

This is a budget hotel so do expect a shower in the toilet and no bath tub.

They do clean the room daily, however if you need fresh towels, you will have to request.

We paid USD16 for a double room and the full amount will be collected upon check-in. walking distance to pub street

Highly Recommend!

by mitexi about Mandalay Inn

I stayed at Mandalay Inn for nearly three weeks. It was a very nice stay because the hotel staff made sure that everything was going well with my visit. It was a very clean place and the restaurant that was inside the hotel had wonderful Khmer/Burmese food. The owner Maung Maung, his wife, and their two children are all very welcoming. This picture was when I went out to Karaoke with the staff and the owner for the baby girl's birthday. It was a very special night. There is free wifi here that works well in some rooms more than others, you just have to ask. It is within walking distance to the markets and Pub street and along the river. It is also very beautiful with all of the woodwork inside and has a workout room!

Best Guesthouse in Siem Reap, 1st Class in service

by ngsway about Mandalay Inn

I first came accross Mandalay Inn from the tips of Accomodations in Virtual Tourist site. It is a newly refurbish guesthouse, operated by a Burmese and his cambodian wife. I was not dissapointed and actually quite surprise of what they offered. Their central location is a plus and their rooms are spacious and squeaky clean. Maung-Maung, the owner, is simply marvelous and helpful. The service of the staffs are 5 star rated; greetings on arrival, towels everytime we came back are such welcoming. I would strongly recommend this place to anyone.... Great restaurant that serves authentic Cambodian and also Burmese dishes. The price is very reasonable too. We actually came back at noon from our temple tour and have a quick shower and lunch before continue exploring again....

Clean, spacious rooms, strong aircond, hot shower, laundry, welcome drink, welcome towel, free ticket booking.....

Friendly and Hospitable

by cochinjew about MANDALAY INN

I have watched Mandalay Inn grow from its modest beginings to what it is today, still a friendly and warm and welcoming place with the usual amount of genuine burmese and khmer hospitality thrown in.
My fourth or fifth stay at this place was made very special by my friend Maung Maung and his khmer wife and the khmer staff.
I was happy to see the genuine hospitality meted out to the tourists who wanted a lot of things attended to.. including repair of their torn bags or laundry or bus tickets.
I was happy to pitch in and help a couple of tourists with medical problems. they probably thought i was the resident maire d' .. that is okay The location is very important. within walking distance of the market and the river and the other amenities. also it is well lit so that one does not have to feel bad or afraid in this relatively very safe town.
there are many people who can do more or less the same things that the tourists need in this or many other tourist towns, but very seldom with a genuiness that i have encountered with Maung Maung. Now that i travel to Myanmar a fair bit, I can understand this as a part of the national characteristic.
Maung Maung can also arrange for you tours and accomodations etc in Myanmar

Mandalay InnMandalay Inn

mandalay Innmandalay Inn

Mandalay InnMandalay Inn

Mandalay Inn LobbyMandalay Inn Lobby

Where to stay in Siam Reap

by Travel_bug123

I'm off the siam reap for 4 days in January next year and wondering if anybody has any ideas of nice place to stay, we have a budget of $70-80 AUD. Can anybody help?

by AlbuqRay

The Bopha Angkor Hotel is within your budget and it's in a convenient loaction across the river from the Old Market and Pub Street district. I personally stay at the Mandalay Inn which is a more budget accommodation but also has an excellent location and is very good value. If you prefer a small guest house, take a look at Ei8ht Rooms. I have more information on each of these places in my Phumi Siem Reap tips.

by stedeb

Check out Somadevi usually get a good price on Wotif.com gorgeous pool area good breakfast and nice rooms either facing the road or overlooking the pool in the main street near the markets central to most things.

by DenisOB

In 2004 we stayed at the Bopha Angor. We found it it to be very good value and I think now they have a swimming pool as well. We had a motor bike trailer driver take us from the front door of the hotel all around Angor Wat and back again for a very reasonable price. The hotel staff were very friendly and the setting was very pleasant. On our experience I would reccomend it.

by tara_miller11

I lived in Cambodia for 2 months and its an amazing place. I have a community organisation in Siem Reap if you are interested in that kind of thing. We basically sponsor a village and offer volunteer opportunities, or you can meet the children needing educational sponsorship.

If you want advice on where to stay let me know. I used New Riveside Hotel (www.riversideroom.com) but pre booked with Sopheap at siemreaptuktuk@yahoo.com, that way i could picked up, transported to the hotel and had temple transport without being surrounded by people begging for my business :)

Accommodation in Siem Reap

by kayjb

We will be visiting Siem Reap for only three or four days in mid December and would appreciate advice on hotels in the central city area that are relatively quiet (No noisy music/bar), clean and under AU$50 per night.

by hcosgrave

Please read the many accommodation tips for Siem Reap in this site.

by AlbuqRay

The Mandalay Inn is about 4 blocks from the central city area, has a quiet restaurant but no bar, and easily meets your cost criterion. The Bopha Angkor Hotel is also about 4 blocks from the central city area but is across the river. It has a restaurant and I don't know whether it has a bar. It may meet your cost criterion, depending on the current AUD-USD exchange rate.

by cochinjew

I highly recommend Mandalay Inn. The staff is very helpful and the owner and his family extremely accomodating regarding tickets, entrance to angkor ruins, organizing tuk tuk or car and picking you up at the airport or bus or boat station.
it is very quiet and it is in a quiet street within a short walking distance from the old market

by kayjb

Thank you for you comments. I am interested in the Mandalay Hotel as we also hope to visit Myanmar on this trip, however I have not been able to make contact with the Mandalay Hotel via the internet. Any contact details for this Hotel would be appreciated.

by cochinjew

The owners of Mandalay Inn are Ko Maung Maung and his Khmer wife. I am sorry you cannot get hold of them.. here is Maung Maung's email
He and the staff are very helpful.
He is in touch with Myanmar (he used to work at Park Hotel in Yangon before moving to Siem Reap)and able to help you with travel within Myanmar.
Hope you can get in touch with him. Ask him also whether he can send someone to pick you up at the airport or the bus station or the boat station. You can get an introduction to Burmese cuisine at the restaurant at Mandalay Inn.
I am sure you know the website http://www.mandalayinn.com/index.html
there is a fair bit of info on Myanmar on the website as well.

by petert51

Thanks all for your advice. I have now been able to make contact with the Mandalay Inn but they may be fully booked for the few days in December that we will be there.

Aid to Myanmar Tragedy

by cochinjew

I am sorry if this is an inappropriate place to put this. Ko Maung Maung the owner of The mandalay Inn in Siem Reap is collecting donations to be sent to Myanmar, in three days he has collected over 8000 usd. if you are in Siem Reap one of these days and wish to donate, please find Ko Maung Maung at the mandalay Inn.
Once again, I hope this is not an inappropriate information to put in the travel forum. Gracias/Obrgiado/Arigato Gozaimasu/Merci Beaucoup/Tak So Mycket

by crewrower

As a reminder to everyone, whenenver making a donation, it's best to be sure that your money is making it to the intended cause. There are many ways to donate money and all the major international charities are collecting through their websites and in other means.

I don't know Ko Maung Maung and this is in no way meant to challenge or undermine the efforts going on at the Mandalay Inn. I'm sure they are well intentioned.

by cochinjew

Maung Maung is a well known Burmese Personality living and working in Siem Reap who is sending aid to Yangon through the channels he has been using for many years. People are welcome to donate whenever or wherever they choose but make sure you do donate! I am trying to organize my friends from the USA to donate money to a Vermont Based Charity and then transfer the money to Ko Maung Maung since I am not able to travel to Myanmar until September. Dont forget to donate! wherever you like, but donate. this is an unusual situation when the junta has refused aid workes from entering the country.

by crewrower

cochinjew - good luck to your efforts.

This is an unusual situation indeed. Some might take a counterpoint that donating aid, if it goes to the junta for distribution under their name, is not such a good thing.

Comments