Wat Thmei, Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Pavillon Indochine Hotel

My Home In Siem Reap

by justagirlinasia about Pavillon Indochine

The hotel is cozy and the staff are extremely helpful.
They've got a good range of DVDS and books for loan to hotel guests and the restaurant chef does a good omelette!

The decor is tasteful and cozy and if you're going...opt for the package and ask for driver Mr Yar. He's a terrific guy!

Tuk Tuk drivers parked outside the hotel are not agressive...instead they're very very nice.

I'd definitely recommand this hotel to future visitors to Siem Reap.

An Oasis in Siem Reap

by Richele about Pavillon Indochine

The staff and their service was outstanding. The facilities are clean, comfortable, decorated beautifully. After a dusty day of motorbiking and temple exploration it's heavenly to clean up and enjoy a drink at the bar paired with some top-notch Paneng. New pool added. A/C, fans, comfortable beds, private baths, electronic safe in room, great restaurant/bar, concierge. Resort rooms have DVD player.

One of Many of Siem Reap's Mid Range Hotels

by ellsasha about Pavillon Indochine Hotel

I stayed at the lodge which is a traditional Khmer house with a lovely tropical garden at the front. My room was on the upper floor, simply furnished with Khmer furniture, comfortable bed with clean linen, air conditioner, colonial fan, mosquito net, and a safe. The bathroom of my room (the Catherine Deneuve room) had a thatched roof which was inconvenient in that it was hot when the sun was up and a few insects and mosquitoes inevitably made their way in; the bathroom had a shower with hot and cold water, the bathroom was "rustic" and like most of Cambodia the toilets are not designed to cope with large amounts of paper. The upper floor is not suitable for folks who have difficulty climbing stairs, as the stair case is steep and the steps narrow, but there is an attractive terrace at the front of the room which other guests share. I believe that the remainder of the rooms in the traditional house have regular bathroom roofs. There is also a new structure comprising of 20 modern rooms built around a swimming pool. The pool, though small is clean and well maintained. Continental breakfast is included in the room price and they have a great selection of homemade jams, the croissants are good and their selection of teas is outstanding. The lunch/dinner menu is not extensive but every dish I tried was fair to good and they serve and excellent fish curry. Dinner with a beer cost about $10 (U.S.). They serve wines and spirits, too. The dining tables are very well set for dinner and the dining area is open sided with a thatched roof. Staff for the most part was friendly. Each room has a laundry basket and items left in the morning will be returned beautifully washed and pressed later that afternoon; the charge for laundry is very low and works out to about 50 cents per item on average. They do have an internet service which is very reasonably priced. Across the road is the Wat Thmei also known as the "Killing Field Pagoda" because of its history and collection of skulls and bones remaining from the carnage of the Khmer Rouge era. Despite some minor inconveniences I enjoyed my stay. Hotel is closer than Siem Reap to Angkor Wat, so, you avoid some heavy traffic.

Wat Thmei – Siem Reap

by ellsasha

The Wat (pagoda) stands side by side with a Buddhist monastery and is across the road from the Pavillon Indochine Hotel. The Wat is also known as the “Killing Fields Pagoda” because it houses a glass sided stupa containing the bones of those who died at the hands of the Khmer Rouge and it also displays some graphically detailed photographs of the atrocities from that time. I interviewed on tape several of the monks living there and was astonished by the good work they do. My main focus was upon the care and shelter they offer HIV/AIDS patients (pts) (the stigma of this disease is strong in Cambodia), at the time of my visit they had 26 pts 14 were HIV positive and 12 had full AIDS. They offer shelter and spiritual support in the living area/hospice built especially for these pts within the monastery grounds; and by their caring example hope to reduce the discrimination that these pts suffer. The monks offer some limited disease prevention education. In Cambodia when AIDS pts die because of the stigma and poverty which surrounds them the families often cannot afford cremation, but the pts at the monastery die in peace knowing that the monks will provide a Buddhist ceremonial cremation. Medicines throughout Cambodia for the treatment of HIV/AIDS are sadly lacking. The monastery also cares for and educates the children of these HIV/AIDS pts, as well as educating a number of orphans and other needy children. I would encourage a visit to this worthy group of monks when visiting Siem Reap and offer whatever support you feel appropriate.

Same Day Hotel Booking

by roneal

Hi everyone,

I will be in Siem Reap for a weekend. (Fly in on Friday, 5 January. Fly out or leave by land on 7 or 8 January.)

Should I book hotel in advance or will I be able to get something when I arrive? I am looking to spend $40 USD/night.

Thank you!
Roneal

by meggy88

seeing you have a short time in SR, I would book before you get there so you can go straight to the hotel when you arrive. By doing that you it will save time looking for a place that has a vacancy and you could still get to see the sunset at Angkor that day (entry to the site is free after 5.00pm). We stayed at the Bohpar of Angkor which is in your price range, you should also check out the www.talesofasia.com site this will give you all the info you need about SR including the land transport back to BKK.

by ellsasha

I stayed at the Pavillon Indochine http://www.pavillon-indochine.com/ in January of this year. Rooms in the traditional house (where I stayed) cost about $32 a night, the new lodge rooms around the pool are more expensive. See my Cambodia pages for a detailed account of the hotel. I enjoyed my stay there. I would try to spend three complete days in Siem Reap if you can fit that into your itinerary. E-mail me if you have any specific questions.

by bangdong

You will be arriving during high season so some places could be fully booked by the time you get there. I would also suggest booking ahead. Take a look at the Canby Publications website for info on Siem Reap hotels. If you send the hotel an e-mail they can arrange for free airport pickup.
www.canbypublications.com

Which place is best to stay?

by smartraveller

hello everyone,

I'm preparing my short trip 4D/4N in Siem Reap in December (after Christmas).
Do you have any idea about this places?

- Pavillon Indochine Hotel (Resort/Lodge)
- Rosy Guesthouse

I'm trying 2figure out which one could be the best option, not in terms of rates but location mainly.

Also,I'm going to 'book' a local private guide/driver for all those days, do you have any person to recommend?
I'm traveling all by myself....who's in there end of Dec?... maybe we could hook up for a drink as virtually strangers&tourists? :-)

thanks in advance for ur help

RE: Which place is best to stay?

by cookiew

I have no recommendations about where to stay and who's a good guide but you might try posting on Fodors.com in their Cambodia forum as these questions are asked all the time. I'll be there by myself for the first time at the beginning of Jan for 3 weeks and can't wait!

RE: Which place is best to stay?

by bkarjee

Hi SmartTraveller
I will be in Siem Reap between 29th Dec'06 and 2nd Jan'07. This will be my first visit to Cambodia. Are you looking at sharing the transport for local temple sightseeing? I guess it would be fun to interact with fellow travellers and share information, if we could meet up.
Cheers
BK

RE: RE: Which place is best to stay?

by smartraveller

hey BK,
Happy New Year to you,
sorry I missed your mail, as I was travelling during that time, just got back.
hope you enjoyed Cambodia, I found the place fascinating indeed.
cheers

Which place is best to stay?

by bkarjee

Hi,
Cambodia trip was extremely good. There is a charm that will keep pulling me to this place in future too. I did cover almost all the temples in my 4 day visit. And there was no bad experience except the journey through dirt track between Banteay Srei temple and Kbal Spean, where I nearly choked because of excesive dust. The night life was exciting too, specially around the 'Pub street' area.
Hope you too had an excellant trip. I am yet to build my Siem Reap page.
Cheers